Aslan's Respawn/Quarantine Challenge

Aslan

Greetings!

So I've been a part of the rebellion for a long time, even though I was never super active on the forums.
In some ways, this is a respawn. It's not like I haven't been active for a while, but a combination of an extreme work-situation and a stubborn depression has made it difficult to stay consistent.
I am no longer in that work situation, and I'm hoping that I can take a bit better care of myself, stay more consistent with my goals and possibly even kick that depression (or at least lessen it somewhat).

Then there's the quarantine, which does not play well with my mental health. Now, as the world has gone crazy, and I am slowly losing my mind by being cooped up at home, I find myself needing something to anchor my efforts to stay fit and sane. So here is my respawn/quarantine challenge:

1) Fitness

1. I am following the Academy Level 3 Bodyweight Workouts, which I will be doing 3 days a week.
  2. On the remaining 4 days, I have a light mobility routine that I will do.
  3. Week 2 modification:
    1. On training days I will also alternate exercises from the NF Handstands and NF Rings programmes.
    2. On off days I will sometimes do NF Yoga instead of my mobility routine.

2) Mental health

1. I will meditate at least 10 minutes every day.
  2. I will get outside for either a run or a walk every day.

3) Misc

1. I will do some sort of work for my classes (even though they are mostly cancelled) every day.

If I was starting from complete zero, this would probably be a bit much. I have, however, been doing most of these things for a while already. This challenge is really more about consistency than the challenge in any particular goal.

I've also jumped on board the DailyDare PVP challenge, so I will attempt to do those every day as well.

For the rebellion,

-Aslan

• Like 5

I already am the lion, so I don't need to roar!

Aslan's Respawn/Qarantine Challenge

• Aslan changed the title to Aslan's Respawn/Quarantine Challenge

Day 1:
Today was a pretty tough day mentally. I woke up quite late, and my mood was terrible for most of the day.
I completed my mobility routine, I went for a ~30 min walk, I meditated for 10 minutes, and I read two chapters in a textbook. I also did two minutes of Tree Pose for the DailyDare challenge.

So far so good, day one completed.

• Like 2

Day 2:

1. 1.5 km run in the morning
  2. Academy Bodyweight Workout 3B
    1. 4 rounds of
      1. One Leg Romanian Deadlift - 8 reps per side (10.5 kg)

2. Inch Worm - 5 reps

3. Assisted Chin Up - 5 reps

2. One Arm Farmers Walk - 60 seconds per side (10.5 kg)
  3. Daily Dare 30 Balance Kicks per leg
  4. 10 minute meditation
  5. ~Half hour walk
  6. Worked on group project

Day 2 complete, and feeling better today than yesterday :D

29 minutes ago, Countess D'If said:

My mental health is not doing so hot rn, either. I had to reach out for help. So now that mechanism is slowly grinding to a start. I definitely feel your struggle. Hang in there!!

We gotta help each other out. Especially in these times. The quarantine stuff is definitely messing with my head. I'm not quite sure, but I think I've  also noticed that my mood seriously deteriorates, whenever I watch any news about the pandemic. Such as the news broadcast I saw like 20 mins ago, and now I feel like shit - related? Maybe...
Have you experienced anything similar?

I have. I was in the car on thursday for the first time in two and a half weeks and I had NPR on. It was one of their hours news breaks. I listened to about 45 seconds and I had to switch it off. It was overwhelming. I couldn't believe how much it knocked me on my butt. So I get my news in small doses when I feel like I can handle it. 

I can't watch the news these days.  It is too much.  So I take what I can in small doses or I end up a wreck.  You're absolutely right, we need to help each other out.  I have to make sure I actually talk to / vidchat someone every day for my mental health. 

Hope today is ok for you.

• Like 1

Day 4:

1. ~30 min walk
  2. Academy Bodyweight Workout 3C
    1. 3 rounds of
      1. Jumping Squat - 6 reps

2. Knee Pushup - 10 reps

3. Wall Slide - 10 reps

4. Leg Lower Down - 10 reps

2. Bar Hang - 2 sets of 30 seconds
  3. Daily Dare - 44 squats in 60 secs
  4. 10 min meditation
  5. Read several chapters in textbooks - actually slightly ahead of my reading schedule
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Chesire said:

I can't watch the news these days.  It is too much.  So I take what I can in small doses or I end up a wreck.  You're absolutely right, we need to help each other out.  I have to make sure I actually talk to / vidchat someone every day for my mental health. 

Hope today is ok for you.

Thank you. I am ok, not good, but ok. Mostly because I seem to be getting slightly better as the days pass right now.
It's a bit hard to estimate though, as I have reverse diurnal depression - so I'm perfectly fine in the morning, and then deteriorate throughout the day.
Hope you're doing ok too.

7 hours ago, Countess D'If said:

Good job! How was the shopping? Was the store crazy?

It wasn't too terrible, but the lines at the cashiers was quite long. It is a fairly small supermarket though, so it hasn't been too crazy so far.
It is a bit strange shopping with plastic gloves on, but you get used to it.

Day 9:

1. Course reading and Skype meeting, working on group assignment
  2. ~25 min walk
  3. NF Handstands Level 1
    1. Wrist mobility exercises - 2x10 of each
    2. Quadruped Rocking - 2x10
  4. Academy Bodyweight Workout 3B
    1. 4 rounds of
      1. One Leg Romanian Deadlift - 8 reps per side (10.5 kg)

2. Inch Worm - 5 reps

3. Assisted Chin Up - 5 reps

2. One Arm Farmers Walk - 60 seconds per side (10.5 kg)
  5. Daily Dare 25 Knee Raises
  6. 10 min meditation

I've decided to drop the Daily Dares from now on, as they have been interfering too much with my other workout plans. They're obviously not planned around the other exercises I do, and soreness from the Daily Dare exercises have kept me from doing other things I wanted to do.

I've decided to make some minor modifications in fitness from week 2 onwards.

On training days I will also alternate exercises from the NF Handstands and NF Rings programmes. On off days I will sometimes do NF Yoga instead of my mobility routine.

Today I felt genuinely motivated to just do something cool, productive, and/or creative for the first time in quite a while. Some of the improvement is probably also due to the increase of sunlight, as I have a tendency toward winter depression, but I'm still amazed what roughly a week of consistency has done for my mental condition!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Aslan said:

Today I felt genuinely motivated to just do something cool, productive, and/or creative for the first time in quite a while. Some of the improvement is probably also due to the increase of sunlight, as I have a tendency toward winter depression, but I'm still amazed what roughly a week of consistency has done for my mental condition!

👏 👏 👏 👏 👏 👏 👏 Glad to see this looks like a positive experience you're having, especially in regard to your mental health. Facing yourself alone for an uncertain period of time can be one of the scariest challenges we have to face, but even forced into it by a mass quarantine, it's a time reconnect with yourself, and face yourself head-on. The good and bad parts we all have, and the unique parts that help make you you. Keep fighting the good fight! 💪

I was actually terrified when my boss brought up the possibility of us working from home, as I use to be a freelance artist and exclusively worked from home to the point of isolating myself for nearly two years and experienced some long-term unemployment at the end of that time as well. I struggled with a serious depression for a few years -- I'm really not sure when it started as I don't have much recollection from those years and it wasn't I was to the point I couldn't function aside from...cleaning the kitchen...that I realized what was going on. I stopped drawing for the first time ever and didn't pick it back up until last summer. So I was afraid of falling back into a hole, because I haven't really let myself be alone by myself at home since the end of 2017. (Insane and I don't recommend that b/c I realized how exhausted I am from never taking a sufficient break from everything to recharge.)

I hope this continues to be a good experience for you despite all the chaos. These things we can't control, so we focus inward. As with others I see here, don't hesitate to hit me up if you need some people time! :) Best of luck, and I hope this week bodes well for you! 🤗

• Like 1

Tyr the Conqueror  [ Half-Dwarf | Rebel ]

STR 2 | DEX 1 | STA 2 | CON 3 | WIS 1 | CHA 1

Volume: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Day 11:

1. 1.5 km walk
  2. 15 min meditation
  3. Course reading
  4. NF Rings Level 1
    1. Ring Rows - 2x10 at 45° angle
    2. Straight Arm Support On Rings - 2x10 secs

5. Academy Bodyweight Workout 3C
    1. 3 rounds of
      1. Jumping Squat - 6 reps

2. Knee Pushup - 10 reps

3. Wall Slide - 10 reps

4. Leg Lower Down - 10 reps

2. Bar Hang - 2 sets of 30 seconds
  6. 6.4 km walk

Day 13:

1. Course reading
  2. 15 min meditation
  3. 3.4 km walk
  4. NF Handstands Level 1
    1. Wrist mobility exercises - 2x10 of each
    2. Quadruped Rocking - 2x10
  5. Academy Bodyweight Workout 3A
    1. 4 rounds of
      1. Step Up - 5 reps per side

2. Bodyweight Pushup - 5 reps

3. Band Pull Apart - 8 reps

2. Side Plank - 2 sets of 40 seconds per side
  6. ~6km walk