• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Shotokan

Shotokan's time to walk alone

This challenge is different than any that I remember in the past.  Not being able to take a formal class each week, for who knows how long now, is something that I never believed would happen but for the safely of everyone else, I know I need to deal with it.  I always used my classes as stress relief and an hour each week where I have no other outside issues on my mind.  When I go to class, I never know what we are doing until we do it and the randomness kept me both physically and mental focused.  My training outside of class is going well so I guess the best thing to do it look back at some of my past classes and do a formal class at home each week.

Even Ironman thought that it was over, then Captain Marvel showed up to rescue him and then he ended up beating Thanos. 

avengers-endgame-theories-iron-man-dies-1

1 - One Karate class at home each week

Even though I won't have the shared energy from my Sensei and my fellow students, I think I can get some good training in and still need to do at least 25 a week.

2 - Mobility / Strength workout five times each week

I think I finally found a workout that I can do consistently that also works my entire body.  It's easy enough to do every day but also hard enough to let me progress.

3 - Read something specific for 15 minutes a day, five times a week

I have been behind on reading my books lately and it's something that has been missing from my life.  It's time to get back in the reading groove again.

Extra Credit - Publish one blog post per week

I know I have been way behind on this part of my challenges and I haven't anything in months but this time I am raising the bar and instead of only one published, I am aiming for five.  This is one area that I have been failing in for some time now and it's time for that pattern to end.

Karate class at home: 0/5

Home workout: 0/25

Read: 0/25

Blog post: 0/5

• Like 2

Day one:

I didn't realize that today was the start of the new challenge and I ended up getting in a good workout not even know about it. 

Today started with my home workout.  This workout is going well and I add some extra movements depending upon how I am feeling.  It only takes around 15 minutes but it taxes my body more than workouts that I used to do that lasted much longer.  I followed that up with seven katas.  I am still using the music to help push me harder but I have to keep myself from timing the kata moves to the beat of the music.  I also worked some kicks and other kihon along with 10 Iaido katas.  It was a solid hour workout and it really spiked my heart rate at times but I didn't notice and breath issues like I used to have when I pushed it this hard a few years ago.

Karate class at home: 0/5

Home workout: 1/25

Read: 0/25

• Like 2

Day two:  Training on day one took a lot out of me but I didn't want to just sit so eight katas later, I got the blood flowing although I was stiff.

Day three:  Karate class at home went very well.  It's not the same as having my Sensei's and fellow students with me but it was a solid workout and it went better than expected.

Karate class at home: 1/5

Home workout: 1/25

Read: 2/25

• Like 2

Day four: The home workout along with only two katas.

Day five:  Five katas to just keep the blood flowing.

Day six:  The home workout along with six katas.

Home workout: 3/25

Read: 6/25

• Like 2

One thing I've seen various dojo doing around here is I've seen them hosting virtual classes via Zoom and Hangouts and other kinds of things. Is that an option for y'all at this point?

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Kishi said:

One thing I've seen various dojo doing around here is I've seen them hosting virtual classes via Zoom and Hangouts and other kinds of things. Is that an option for y'all at this point?

My Dojo is doing some quick videos for at home training for free and they are offering a paid version too but it's the atmosphere and the people that make class my escape from reality.  Luckily, the at home class with my wife worked really well last week and I am hoping for a repeat again this week.

• Like 1

Day seven: This workout was nothing short of awesome.  I ended up doing the dumbbell circuit workout for 4 sets of six reps and it felt awesome.  I am not sure what did it but I liked it.  Five  katas afterward along with 10 Iaido katas finished it up.

Day eight: Another great workout.  I tired a little different warm up before doing my katas and the it really had me moving well.  I ended up doing 10 katas and all of them were tournament ready.  I don't know if the new warm up did it or my head was in the right place but it went well.

Day nine: Today was my home workout day.  It felt pretty good and got the blood pumping.  I did two katas but they didn't feel the same as yesterday and my ankle was a barking so that finished up the day.

Reading is going really well and I should finish up my current book tonight.  It's called Think like a Warrior and Darrin Donnelly and it's really a good read.

Home workout: 5/25

Read: 9/25

• Like 1

Day ten: No workout whatsoever.  I fell asleep in my chair with my laptop on my lap.  That doesn't happen often but it did.

Day eleven:  The home workout went well and the five katas and kettlebell finisher was good.  Oddly, the workout went okay, not great but I didn't have music tonight because I was updating my phone.  I guess the music is making a difference. 

• Like 1

Sleep is a performance enhancing drug and we all need an infusion, so no harm in getting some. :)

• Like 1

I cannot believe how fast two weeks went by.  Lots of good workouts over the last two weeks but too much time at work has kept me from posting.  

• Like 1

On 5/5/2020 at 1:12 PM, Kishi said:

Feel that. And now it's all over.

How'd it wind up for you?

That was the longest few weeks that flew by that I can remember.  The workouts didn't follow the structure that I planned for this challenge but I was able to get in some good training.  The best part is my Karate club is doing Zoom classes and the two that I did went really well.  It's not the same as in person but not having to leave my home dojo was nice and the classes were just as hard or harder than in person.

Karate class at home: 5/5 - this was on target thanks to the Zoom classes

Home workout: 27/25 - I did a lot of training and ended up above target

Read: 9/25 - this fell off just because I forgot about it

Blog post: 0/5 - um, cough,  almost

• Like 1