This is not how DaemonCorax used to wake up

DaemonCorax

<As usual, I'm late to the show. As usual, I need to come back through and make this prettier>

I had this thought the other morning. The small one (LR) had ended up in bed next to me at 4 am and now, at somewhat later, was joyfully belly-flopping on my face. It was hilarious, beautiful, and a terribly rude awakening all at once. This is very different from the world I used to wake up in.

I live in Colorado. I work for a place that... let's just say has taken an unusually wide view of what an "essential" employee is, leaving us to make our own decisions about how much to work from home or not. As project teams, we're working it out, mostly.

Those of you who have followed along before know that I'm a climber. I crack climb. The week of 3/16 we were going to go to Utah for a week. It got post-poned to April due to weather, and then COVID-19 happened and the state of Utah said "please don't visit us and do risky things and end up in our already too small hospitals." I hardly blame them. As my co-worker posted on his door:

"This episode of Black Mirror is rubbish."

Before I was a climber, I was a cyclist. A roadie with a fixed gear. On Sunday I took my singlespeed road bike out for what the cool kids now call a "gravel ride." I pummeled my legs along for 38 miles of rolling hills. Damn I'm out of shape. Not so out of shape that I didn't pass people in the first half of the ride, but so out of shape that I was mush the last five miles home.

My belly is thicker than it used to be. I have skin that used to be an apartment for a rowdy, tiny, tenant. My quads are smaller. Clearly, we have work to do.

Goal 1. Ride even if its not convenient: It looks like I still have to pop into work most days. Since I don't have to do daycare pick up (more on that later), I'm going to ride both ways unless the weather is utterly miserable.

Goal 2. Hit the basement for 10-15 minutes of circuits: This is to do any day that I don't have a large workout. Commuting doesn't count as a large workout. 30+ miles on the singlespeed does.

Goal 3. Something mental: This needs to be more than the usual "stay calm and be nice. We're down most of a salary, but the small one is only going to daycare halftime. We bought our house with the "one of us might lose their job" possibility in mind, so the major financial things in our life are safe. Nevertheless, I'm still hashing through trauma from the small one's birth and its colliding rather poorly with concerns about getting sick and ending up anywhere near our overtaxed hospital system.

• Like 2

Current challenge:This is not how daemoncorax used to wake up

Previous challenges: DaemonCorax doesn't go on vacation

(STR 21; DEX 3; STA 10.5; CON 8.3; WIS 15; CHA 2 - but these are SUPER out of date.)

While we have to stay away from the desert, we can always ride our bikes.

Let's reminisce to simpler times and a funky awesome thing someone did this summer:

https://bikepacking.com/news/alexandera-houchin-2019-tour-divide/

1836178418_ScreenShot2020-03-31at4_43_20PM.thumb.png.cf2898de76ffed686c0f2bc0cb431e37.png

• Like 2

(STR 21; DEX 3; STA 10.5; CON 8.3; WIS 15; CHA 2 - but these are SUPER out of date.)

So, Day 4 of week 1. In an attempt to hang on to Goal 3, I'm going to pick a theme every week (probably sport or cooking related), and post something about someone cool every day. Yesterday was a gimme. Alex did this super cool thing, and she's a role model for women and girls on bike everywhere. So, this week's theme: "rad women on bikes."

Up today: Rachel Atherton. She and her brothers are the heart of mountain bike racing in the UK. There have been a bunch of cool articles and videos about her, but this is fun:

Other than that: Biked the small one to his 1/2 day at daycare. MFH will pick him up at lunch. I'm WFH for the day with hopefully 10-15 min in the basement for shoulder and core work. The daycare balance is hard. I really can't work and take care of a 10-month old simulataneously. While MFH's shop has business, this seems like the best compromise, but I hate dropping him off.

• Like 3

For today's look into cycling, we're going to the track. Track is distinctly not my thing, but when I was dabbling in the land of road racing 10 years ago, I stumbled across GB's Victoria Pendleton. Victoria Pendleton was a monster on two wheels, and it was so so cool to see her race. In 2012, the 4-time world champion lost to the also much-decorated Anna Meares. If you Google this you will see the suggestion that there was bitterness between the two rivals. Actual interviews with the athletes, however, show class, respect, and competition. Like many women in pro-cycling, and, unfortunately, many elite women athletes in gymnastics, running, and other sports, she had a rough road toward then end of her career. She eventually left cycling, got divorced, and is now an amateur jockey. 

(This post, I realize, open a can of worms relating to the various trials women in professional sports face. But maybe that's a discussion for another time.)

Victoria_Pendleton.thumb.jpg.b010194dcd41616501d4e20c662fc09b.jpg

My basement time was a bit too short yesterday. I had to go into work today. I drove because the weather is abyssmal. Was stuck there a couple hours longer than planned, but did revisit my basement workout at home after lunch.

Also, grocery-brand instant matcha latte powder has no business being good, and yet...

• Like 2

Hi all! Sorry I didn't post a cyclist for Friday!

Here's a legend: Missy Giove. Downhill racer with a lot of attitude back in the day, and a little bit of a legal problem. I first read about Missy in the now-dead Dirt Rag Mag. (That magazine deserves it's own post as a formative influence in my early years in a bike shop.)

https://www.welovecycling.com/wide/2017/07/14/missy-giove-missile-stopped/

https://dirtmountainbike.com/features/recover-faster-downhill-racing.html1298436963_ScreenShot2020-04-07at3_05_14PM.thumb.png.d7a341bfc05d8d862172f1e4b408fbb3.png

Also have to mention: Juli Furtado.

https://www.bicycling.com/racing/a22074461/mountain-biking-legend-juli-furtado-battling-depression-suicide/

Hardcore athletes frequently have a good number of demons riding alongside them. Women who are elite athletes are no exception. They're human too. That's part of why I chose this particular batch.

• Like 1

So after the Missy post. A little bit about the past few days. Yesterday was terrible. Not only did I not work out, somewhere in the "everyone needs to wear masks" and some toxic personality traits leading to bad communication with a work teammate of mine, I had a really really rough day.

Saturday was great though. I went out on the singlespeed and, in an attempt to hit some of my favorite dirt roads and hide from the wind, I accidentally did a very slow 50.4 miles. Very slow. Seriously.

How are you all doing , Rangers? How is the weather? Is outside time helping? Are you getting enough of it?

*hugs*

• Like 2

%C2%A9FTF2014_00989.jpg?format=1500w

Didn't basement yesterday. Am about to ride into work to do a thing int he lab real quick. That will be a nice 17 mi in pretty weather. Part of me was debating driving just to get it over with, but things are hard right now and I need quiet outside time. The small one gets picked up from daycare by MFH at noon whether I ride or drive.

Yesterday the small one didn't go to care. I went to work at 6:30 am to fix a broken thing in the lab, then came home and cuddled/played/biked with the small one for the rest of the morning while MFH was a work. It was a weird schedule, but I really needed not to drop him off. And when things are broken in lab, sometimes it's better to just go in and fix it in the morning while my head is clear. Turned out nothing was broken anyway - nothing I did, that is. We had an hvac water leak mess everything up with a giant puddle on the floor that resulted in water ice in bad places..... sigh.

Halfway through week 2 and I haven't picked what to post for Goal 3. So, here goes, I guess it will be music. With all the working from home, my headphones are doing me a solid. And I've been feeling nostalgic. This week that means:

(1) Belle & Sebastian - If You're Feeling Sinister

This album was in heavy rotation for me in high school. I pulled it back up recently and am now shocked at how many lyrics I remember and end up singing to the small one.

image.thumb.png.89299cf6a2e777bc390e2094d428cff1.png

If You're Feeling Sinister - Full Album

(2) David Bowie - David Bowie is one of only three celebrities whose deaths I really mourned. The other two would be Robin Williams and, more recently, Neil Pert. All of his music, but. especially the early and very late albums have been in my ears a lot recently.

image.thumb.png.eeeee6d12510678298d6f52d3632b861.png

Rolling Stone - Inside David Bowie's Final Years

In workout land, I did in fact ride in to work (8.5 mi). Then coming home I stopped to pick up some bike parts for MFH that we had ordered last week. The seemingly-unecessarily-large messenger bag sure came in handy for that. I turned on my Bluetooth speaker and rocked it the 8.5 mi home with tires strapped under the bag lid like it was 2005 all over again :)

At 3 pm I took a small work break in the basement and did two rotations of (1) some pull-up related things, (2) 10 push-ups and (3) 30+ sec head bug holds.

Not a bad day.

• Like 2
  • That's Metal 1

Good Friday afternoon everyone. I have had a sore throat for two mornings and am doing my best to ignore it. Sigh.

For musics for the end of the week we have two covers:

(1) I JUST came across this today:

For even more enjoyment watch the facial expressions of the keyboardist.

(2) I have loved Brass Against forever. Then this afternoon I was driving home through me neighborhood (very slowly, because kids are everywhere) and came around the corner to a cop SUV cruising the MIDDLE of my street while I was plaything this: (And no, he didn't pause or move over.)

In workout land. The grocery store was a mess at 8 am this morning, but (yes it's cliche) I was hoping to buy toilet paper. No luck there, and I was in line for 30 minutes. So I was late getting the workday started. So I talked myself out of riding my bike. I may take a work break and ride later....

• Like 1

When I went to the store Monday, I was amazed at how busy it was. Hope you had a chance for a bike read in the afternoon

Wisdom 15.5   Dexterity 11   Charisma 12   Strength 14  Constitution-11

Elastigirl:Just Living Life , Part II - Current Challenge: February 14 to March 20 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

I need a 5th music post for week two.... Let's see.

I kinda hated this song originally. I like other stuff from this band though. And then I caught the lyric: "they all wear the snow white coats and goggles to shield the element from their eyes." Yeah. Okay. This is a fun song.

Ok weekend summary:

Saturday I went for a ride with one of my best girlfriends. From a social distancing standpoint I think we did ok - we covered our faces and rode really far apart. The problem was that every now and then there was a car, so the riding far apart side by side had to get quickly adjusted. It was a bit stressful. I don't think we'll try to do it again for a while.  t was nice to talk to her though, which was part of the point. She's going though some major major personal stuff in the middle of all this, so this was the safest way we could get human time.

I rode a little loop before meeting up with her, so my mileage was 29.3 mi according to the internets. I don't ride with a computer, I just look up my mileage afterwards. More relaxing that way. I did have a little moment coming up a double hill on the way back where I felt good. Everything clicked and I felt fast for a second there.

Then the rest of the day there was a lot of work outside. I got some sun, pulled some roots out, and was really really tired at the end of the day. Good tired.

Sunday the weather changed. It's been snowy and grey for the last 36+ hours. We did some house work, including the somewhat depressing calculation of how much it's going to cost to blow more insulation into our attic. We've been meaning to do this every summer, but with the small one about to move into his own room, it's now mandatory. We're hoping our south-facing room will be cooler in the summer, but more importantly the back bedrooms need to hold heat. Our roommate is going to help us get the job done and manage the small one though, which is fantastically amazing.

Today, the aforementioned weather made riding a highly unlikely option. Basement will happen later. I did some stuff in the basement yesterday, and I'm adding my shoulder PT exercises back in to try to get my thumb tendons to stop regressing into a more painful place.

• Like 2

Week 3 theme: Coming back from injuries and other transformations.

It's been no secret in my threads that my small one had a very rough arrival and some of the recovering physically has been overshadowed by recovering mentally. The first time I tried to engage my core to get my hips aligned while bouldering this summer, I started having flashbacks of pain and was in tears. In February, I went on our yearly Ice Park ice climbing trip and was contradictingly feeling strong climbing, but bloated and painful otherwise. My belly still leans out oddly when I'm tired. Getting my posture right has been a bit weird. Massaging my c-section scar (which is important medically) was downright traumatic for the first few attempts.

Fast forward to now: I've been my normal weight since small one was 6 months old. At almost 11 months, some of that weight is moving back from my midsection to my limbs where it used to be - a much more useful place too! With the stay-at-home order, I'm exercising in the basement more. But also, in the absence of talking to my coworkers or the multitude of other things that take 10-minute chunks of time during the day, the basement is a great break from everything. It is also the place to do very focused exercises. So in addition to my endless battle with pull-ups, I've really been hitting the dead-bugs, planks (frequently forearm planks if my wrists/thumbs aren't 100%), and leg lifts. This last exercise has been especially great. With intense focus on keeping my lower back on the floor, the exercise is very difficult in exactly the places I need it. I had hoped not to tear any of the connective tissue along the midline of my abs (the linea alba) while pregnant, but it looks like I did right at my belly button. This 1.5" long spot was super tender to the point where I can pinpoint the week it happened last year, and it is still tender and not quite okay today. None of these exercises involve a lot of crunches and twisting, but they seem to really be helping my posture, core engagement, and appearance of my belly. I wish I could say that the third of these things was the least important, but it's been really bothering me.

So I've entered the phase where this feels more like a specific "injury recovery" than a whole body flail to try to recover some semblance of strength. To often I/we hear dialog that sounds like "I would be a great athlete if it weren't for such and such and injury." This is a really depressing dialog for me. MFH has had a bit of this going on too. We are climbing less and all the connective tissue damage in his shoulders is rearing its head because the joint isn't being as well stabilized by muscle. Then, by chance, I visited stuntwoman Jessie Graff's instagram the other day and discovered something cool (well, cool for me): Her shoulder is torn in 4 places and she has a host of other old injuries. She's basically a superhero incarnate physically, and yet - injuries! I felt so normal. I breathed a sigh of relief. So, yeah she may be a pro athlete who gets to do nothing but train, while I am not, but it made recovery to 100% seem somehow much more in reach.

How do you deal with being injured? How do you fight the mental side of a longterm physical limitation? What are your pick me ups? What activity are you missing while we stay at home?

Yesterday and the day before I got some basement time. The focus yesterday was definitely core, which limited my pull-ups. Pull-ups use EVERYTHING, apparently, it seems, including my core. Today I rode to work and back for a total of 17 mi in about 50 degree sunny weather. The weather is going to be terrible tomorrow, so this was basically my one chance this week.

• Like 1

That's really great that you are able to use this time for core rehab and that you are finding it so helpful. I appreciated Jessie Graff's Instagram and her willingness to talk about how she has battled through her injuries. She's always been one of my heroes.

• Like 1

Wisdom 15.5   Dexterity 11   Charisma 12   Strength 14  Constitution-11

Elastigirl:Just Living Life , Part II - Current Challenge: February 14 to March 20 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

On 4/16/2020 at 8:44 PM, Elastigirl said:

She's always been one of my heroes.

Yeah, I'm generally not much of a celebrity follower, but she is an incredible athlete and seems like a nice person to boot. Her instagram is a really cool reminder of the amazing things the human body is capable of - a much better trained human body than mine, but one with a similar enough starting template that following her isn't a mental conversation of "well of course they can reach that hold, they're 6' tall" or whatever. Instead I watch her and think "her home workouts are cool. What can I do with the space in my basement?" and "handstands! you're next!" Our internal monologues are so important to getting stronger, breaking plateaus, and having healthy relationships with ourselves.(I should follow my own advice more often on this one.....)

This weekend was a tough one. I can't actually remember how the week ended (what a blur!) but I'm pretty sure I did nothing one day and spent some time in the basement on Friday. Saturday, MFH went for a big ride on his own. I put the small one in his trailer and looped around a whole bunch of meandering hilly neighborhood streets for 1.5 hours. He had a great time and I got to relax a lot. I had been planning on riding the main bike lane into town and hitting the paths there, but I didn't want to be around people on the paths, and there was a little more traffic than I was expecting. We saw some parts of a neighborhood south of us that I had never seen, complete with cool houses, nifty paint colors and project cars to keep me aesthetically engaged at 12 mph. Sunday was a whole different story.

Sunday was suppose to be my day for a big ride. I had to swing into work at 7 am, so I was late getting around to digging out the roadie clothes. And I just felt OFF. And my big cat had something wrong with his leg. The day culminated with me being in tears because the world is a mess right now, and I just didn't feel like leaving the small one. He was having a rough morning, and I had what I can only call a bout of separation anxiety. I'm glad it worked out that way though because it turns out our insane kitten tagged my big cats leg with a minor puncture wound. I was able to get him to the vet, where they found a superficial infection that we are now treating. Both of our cats spend most of their time around us, and generally they rough house and cuddle and groom each other very nicely. This was an accident, but I'm really glad we were able to take care of it before it became more serious. Still. Stress.

Since I didn't ride yesterday, I rode the small one to daycare today (he had sooooo much fun), rode to work, and rode a slightly longer way home. So I think that puts today around (4 + 8.5 + 12?) 24.5 miles. I keep wondering about getting a fancier bike, but the nice carbon fork I put on my old bike means it corners just how I would want anything newer to corner. Very fun. It seemed like an indulgent thing to do at first, but I'm glad I did.

• Like 3

This week's theme is going to be interactions and little bits of gear!

I know this sounds a little funny, but it hearkens back to a nerdy conversation @TGP and I had a while ago about trail shoes.

This spring (1) there is no climbing and (2) I kinda am just now emerging from that "just had a kid" feeling. I was a roadie long before I was a climber, and this whole GRAVEL this is kinda fun. My friend and I joke that we invented riding road bikes with fat tires ages ago and everyone else is just late to the party. But I'm enjoying the more relaxed attitude (even in Boulder, mostly) than the road scene. And I'm diving back into my closet. Also, even though we're being super careful with money right now, I think I just successfully concluded my quest for the perfect multi-hour bike bag (but that will get its own post).

So this week, in honor of making old things new again, I'm going to highlight a piece of gear everyday that I'm enjoying.

Today: A pair of bright light blue 5-year old Sombrio bike shorts that I rode home in today.

Sombrio makes mountain bike clothes and the shorts I'm mentioning in particular are designed to be worn over a liner with a chamois - which is how I wore them today. Or bibs - which is how I wore them for an 8 hour ride in Bend in 2016. Or over normal underwear - which is how I wore them and a matching black pair for multiple days of backpacking in 2016 and 2017 and.... lots. They're long. The blue ones have faded from neon turquoise to almost robin's egg. They're abrasion resistant it turns out. And super comfy. I bought these two pairs of shorts on a whim and have proceeded to beat them to death. I crashed on pavement in the blue pair in 2015 so bad I had a bruise the size of a loaf of bread on my hip. The lift ticket loop in the pocket imprinted itself on my leg. But you wouldn't know it to look at the shorts. Sometimes they feel a little to "14-yo boy clothes" for my mood, but man they've done good service. it's also a reminder that just because I'm a roadie doesn't meant that the most comfortable clothes to ride in today couldn't involve a hoodie and mtb shorts. 😄

image.thumb.png.8cc8265a60c3cde02654594a42119741.png

Rangers, what's your favorite piece of technical-ish clothing? How many different ways do you use it?

PS: I thought twice about using brand names names here, but when I've truly put a piece of gear through the wringer like this, I don't think there's anything wrong with giving the manufacturer credit where credit is due.

• Like 3

oddly enough

the very shoes I ended up buying just died this weekend.  ironic timing.

hmm

prolly the one thing I REALLY enjoyed this year is my REI COOP base layer /long underwear

they REALLY helped with winter hiking/camping/whatever.  in fact, I can't think of any peice of gear that has done More for me than that single investment.

even with the importance of hiking; provided I stay away from blisters (and I'm not prone to them)- I can hike some serious mileage in many different boots and shoes. but in 2018; before I had my undies- I got cold in my long walk and I was VERY much DONE.  I consider myself somewhat miraculously saved to be able to abort the hike- when later it seemed like I had a very clear case of hypothermia.

but if the base layer is NOT wet and Warm; it can make a big big difference in damp conditions.

I've seen that in many hikes since getting those undies.  is it weird to say- I LOVE my undies!  

---

so thats my personal take on what kind of technical  clothing made the most difference to me.

• Like 1

https://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/116426-im-awake/

the "NEW" normal is good with me! as Life was Never really Normal anyways....

30 minutes ago, TGP said:

is it weird to say- I LOVE my undies!  

So true! I've had many long sleeve merino baselayers (undies) over the years. But I am currently without a Smartwool 250 crew top after my last one died after 10 years of good service. I wore that thing to ride, to climb (bad idea), hike, ski, and just in life probably over 90 days a year. I replaced it with a cheaper wool/bamboo mix from Chrome that's very nice and got me through a lot of pregnant skiing, but I am still wistful for one of those 250 tops again.

Baselayers can make or break a day.

On the bottom half I'm an inexpensive spandex tights person. I have several pairs with fuzziness on the inside that are so so comfy.

Mow many miles did you get from your shoes? What killed them?

I’ve been meaning to convert my old mountain bike into a gravel bike for a while now. What are you riding?

I don’t have much gear that I’m crazy about. I used to have a Voler thermal jacket that was perfect, but I left it at a race and never got it back. I bought a replacement, but they changed the design.

“We might as well start where we are, use what we have and do what we can." – Caitlin Rivers

Solstice Challenge

Sloth: The Man with the Hammer battle log

you know I didn't actually total up the mileage....

but my solomon trail runners did walk out the 100mile walk and then did a bunch of running.

but part of the problem was the shoelaces.

there were race laces and I tripped in them and broke them last fall.  after that they did suffer a little from lack of love; I should have replaced the laces when that happened.

but the weather proofing was going and they weren't as cushioned as they once were.  so I let it be and used them during times when I wanted a quick trail run; as I could get in them so quickly and easily.

anyways, the soul has started to seperate from the uppers.  which is something I see happen in time to many well worn boots and shoes.  

so their death was probably a little premature; OTOH, the year before I had another brand name boot not even handle the 100mile hike*; and to give my soloman's credit- they took all of the 100 mile hiking challenge- and had a second career in what they were designed for; trail running.

*yeah. and regarding THAT boot. that year.  that was 2018 and after some minor training I didn't even make it all 100 miles ; only doing 89 miles before I got too cold and hypothermic to continue.  after that I found several flaws that should Not have happened with so little use.

• Like 1

https://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/116426-im-awake/

the "NEW" normal is good with me! as Life was Never really Normal anyways....