• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

JustCallMeAmber

JustCallMeAmber does something

Hi! Couple of days late to the party, but I'm here. I'm going to ease into things this go around. I'm only focusing on 2 goals for now: Whittle down the "watch later" vids in my YouTube and Googling cats gifs. Nailing both of those goals, BTW. I watched Weird Al join Weezer on stage for Africa while my tea was brewing this morning. Ah-mazing.

giphy.gif

Oh, some other things I'll be working on too:

• Working towards Flying Pigeon pose. Practice Figure Four Chair pose, with reaching my hands to the floor. Currently, and the only time I have ever tried is yesterday, I could barely get my fingertips to the floor because my hips are so tight. I'd slacked off on my evening mobility stuff, so I'm thinking if I add something fun (new things, woo!) that will have the added benefit of getting me to do my regularly scheduled mobility too.
  • Water my weekends well. So, spring sprung straight to summer here. I worked outside most of the day last Saturday and woke up Sunday feeling like I'd been run over by a truck, towing a trailer, carrying a swimming pool containing a bull moose and a hippopotamus chilling in their unicorn floaties. I realized a) I have to get specific with these types of imagery, or else it probably has already happened in the state from which I hail and b) I did NOT drink enough water on Saturday. Thus, I intend to drink AT LEAST 120oz of water per day, more if I'm outside much.
  • The third one I haven't really determined how to properly quantify. I want to eat more mindfully. I've gotten into a couple of bothersome habits, including at times being very impulsive about my food choices. All I'm looking to do right now is to stop and breathe. Take 10 seconds to ask myself how I'm feeling before I eat, as I eat, and after I eat. It's not about restricting how much I'm eating so much as I'm trying to determine if I am actually hungry (or thirsty or bored or TIRED, etc). If I'm already stuffed to the gills but I am still mindlessly shoveling blueberries, it likely isn't because I'm hungry. So what am I actually needing at that point? Maybe just a little time for my brain to register the meal I ingested.

giphy.gif

Oh, how I relate to this gif today...

ANYWAYS. Away we go stay!

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

Mmmmm blueberries. So hard not to mindlessly shovel

During the summer it's fun to freeze them before consuming!

• Like 2

I just started the challenge today too! I've been really down for a while and not motivated to do anything. But now I'm psyching myself up to lose weight during quarantine in the hopes of getting that "oh my gosh, I didn't recognize you!" transformation responses when we are finally allowed out, lol.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, ixaera said:

Mmmmm blueberries. So hard not to mindlessly shovel

During the summer it's fun to freeze them before consuming!

This is true. And that may be the answer; I ate them because they are delicious and I wanted them. I would just prefer to not be the poor bunny in Wreck It Ralph 2.

I have not actually frozen blueberries before. My experience is limited to the already frozen ones from the grocery, which always seem to melt just enough on the way home that it becomes a big block of blue ice the next time I take it out of the freezer. I should definitely try this.

12 hours ago, Magdalena Ravenclaw said:

I just started the challenge today too! I've been really down for a while and not motivated to do anything. But now I'm psyching myself up to lose weight during quarantine in the hopes of getting that "oh my gosh, I didn't recognize you!" transformation responses when we are finally allowed out, lol.

Hail, fellow it's-still-week-1-so-it's-not-really-late challenger! :) I think we're all in a similar "let's focus on what positive things we CAN do right now" place. Building good nutritional habits is a great place to start! 

1 hour ago, JustCallMeAmber said:

I have not actually frozen blueberries before. My experience is limited to the already frozen ones from the grocery, which always seem to melt just enough on the way home that it becomes a big block of blue ice the next time I take it out of the freezer. I should definitely try this.

If you manage to freeze them individually, blueberries and strawberries are delicious to use in white wine or mixed drinks instead of ice cubes. In case you were looking for suggestions. ;) 

• Like 1
  • Wow 3

33 minutes ago, Scalyfreak said:

If you manage to freeze them individually, blueberries and strawberries are delicious to use in white wine or mixed drinks instead of ice cubes. In case you were looking for suggestions. ;) 

Dang. Now I wish I hadn't polished off all of the fruit yesterday.. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, JustCallMeAmber said:

Dang. Now I wish I hadn't polished off all of the fruit yesterday.. 

Just keep it in mind for when you have more fruit at hand... the frozen strawberries are surprisingly good in a mimosa. :) 

4 hours ago, Scalyfreak said:

omg noted

DUALLY

Week 1 (ish) summary:

• Working towards Flying Pigeon pose. Practice Figure Four Chair pose, with reaching my hands to the floor. I did the thing, until the weekend. I then forgot about it entirely. Whoops.
  • Water my weekends well. Drink AT LEAST 120oz of water per day, more if I'm outside much. Check! Barely hit it Saturday, but it did help me remember to take water breaks while I was working, so, success!
  • The third one I haven't really determined how to properly quantify. Eat more mindfully; stop and breathe. Take 10 seconds to check in. I was fairly consistent with this. Too early to find any clear patterns, but the preliminaries; I mostly did stop eating once I felt full, regardless of what remained on my plate/bowl/jar. I ate when I felt hungry, which was quite a lot of Sunday after not feeling very hungry Saturday. I also ate when I was bored, which I think is good to be aware of. It seemed like I had more energy after eating a fairly calorie-dense snack, which would track with a tendency to crave food later in the evening when I'm struggling to stay awake.

I also expanded my gif googling to include dogs:

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

No regrets. Sometimes you need some random happy things in your life. :)

• Like 3

On 4/6/2020 at 11:21 AM, JustCallMeAmber said:

No regrets. Sometimes you need some random happy things in your life. :)

Early last week, before I came to my senses and posted my general cry for help in my own challenge thread, I was searching YouTube for videos that might help me feel better and came across the most hilarious dog channel with a "talking" husky with a lot of personality. The channel name is "key the stunt dog" or something like that. Very entertaining and definitely good for a chuckle and a few smiles.

You know, for when you need random happy things. :) 

• Thanks 1

On 4/6/2020 at 12:21 PM, JustCallMeAmber said:

I did the thing, until the weekend. I then forgot about it entirely.

Shame Box GIF - Shame Box GIFs

J/k weekends happen!
Like, this one is over. How??

• Haha 1

Week 2 in the books:

• Working towards Flying Pigeon pose. Practice Figure Four Chair pose, with reaching my hands to the floor. I did the thing, except Saturday. Still working on house stuff and it was too much to add this after we'd finished for the day. I did do some stretching, but it was more gentle.
  • Water my weekends well. Drink AT LEAST 120oz of water per day, more if I'm outside much. Check! Though, to be honest, I don't think 120 was enough for Saturday. I wound up mild to moderately nauseous by the end of the day, and that persisted for about half of Sunday. Ick.
  • The third one I haven't really determined how to properly quantify. Eat more mindfully; stop and breathe. Take 10 seconds to check in. I was fairly consistent with this during the week. I didn't do as good a job over the weekend. I didn't eat enough Saturday because ick and overcompensated by mindlessly shoveling a protein bar, cashews before dinner and then peanut butter and yogurt after dinner Sunday. I just didn't want to think about anything.

Week 2 best summarized with the following gif:

giphy.gif

I did get the cats combed and did a bit of trimming of the orange floof while he was sleeping. Trying to teach him to not be afraid of the clippers, and we're making some progress. Watched more TV than I'd like, but there's so many baking shows and I do oh so love watching them. Also watched Jumanji: Next Level (BTW, and slight spoiler, but Awkwafina does a great Danny Devito impersonation) and Hidden Figures (no idea why I hadn't watched that one yet.) And a husky named K'eyush The Stunt Dog on YouTube thanks to @scalyfreak . I mean, it was a good week, just not for getting actual things done 🙃

• Like 2

21 hours ago, JustCallMeAmber said:

I did get the cats combed and did a bit of trimming of the orange floof while he was sleeping. Trying to teach him to not be afraid of the clippers, and we're making some progress. Watched more TV than I'd like, but there's so many baking shows and I do oh so love watching them.

Which baking shows? I like them, too.

4 hours ago, KB Girl said:

Not being productive seems like a fair trade for feeling reasonably well x)

That's true. The to-do list will still be there when I get back to it, so a little extra rest is not a bad move. The trick is to find the balance between doing all the things and doing nothing, because I wind up feeling icky if I do nothing all day. Last week just happened to be the week of distraction.

giphy.gif

This looks much like my work week.

1 hour ago, Harriet said:

Which baking shows? I like them, too.

giphy.gif

I'm glad you asked. :D Currently, Spring Baking Championship, Buddy v. Duff 2, Chopped: Sweets on Food Network, and Zumbo's Just Desserts 2 and The Great British Baking Show: Masterclass on Netflix. I also did reruns on demand of all of the baking championships (Spring, Halloween, Christmas, except the Kids one. Mainly because the kids always cry when they get eliminated, whereas the grown ups only cry about 30% of the time) and the Best Baker in America whilst Science Channel was randomly broken in my home over the last few weeks. I haven't started the 2nd season of Sugar Rush, or Nailed It yet. My TV time is roughly 95% gingerbread, pastry, and frosting..

• Like 1

On 4/15/2020 at 1:06 PM, miss_marissa said:

Love Hidden Figures!

Right? It was so GOOD! I think that's the point where I realized I should actually schedule some movie watching time. (It's hard for me to stay awake most evenings, so I have to start them early or split them over a couple of nights. Makes for difficult spontaneous choices.)

• Like 1

Realized after logging off yesterday that I never actually updated my thread. Whoops.

Week 3, now that we're halfway through 4:

• Working towards Flying Pigeon pose. Practice Figure Four Chair pose, with reaching my hands to the floor 3/7. Ouch. Actually, come to think of it, literal ouch Monday Squatday. Creaky knees were creaky the past couple of days. Physical reinforcement of my mentally noted need for hip mobility.
  • Water my weekends well. Drink AT LEAST 120oz of water per day, more if I'm outside much. Check! Barely, but check.
  • The third one I haven't really determined how to properly quantify. Eat more mindfully; stop and breathe. Take 10 seconds to check in. I did not do this very well, to be honest. Had a couple of rough days mentally and those always drain me. But I did not pick it back up once I was feeling more myself. That being said, I did not have any impulses to eat things I wouldn't typically eat, nor did I eat more when already stuffed to the gills. Mostly I just ate in front of screens or while walking more often than I would prefer.

Week 3 much more productive overall than week 2. Basically did 5 days of work in 3 because I was in a fog the other 2, but it got done and that generally makes me feel better. Ticked one item off house list. Made some tasty foods. Washed the dang shower curtain because it was getting annoying. Watched a more reasonable amount of TV. Watched an unreasonable amount of Otter Cam. (Only unreasonable considering I'm at work. Otters are adorable and it is peaceful to watch them do otter things between work stuff, what can I say?)

On my list to do this week is to rehang the suction hooks where I had my resistance bands stored. I'm thinking they just did not adjust well to temperature changes in the garage, and as such they fell off. It should be consistently warm-to-hot now through October/November, so I'd like to get them back up there and get my bands neatly situated again.

giphy.gif

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Week 4:

• Working towards Flying Pigeon pose. Practice Figure Four Chair pose, with reaching my hands to the floor 6/7. I did skip one day on account of a rather annoying headache.
  • Water my weekends well. Drink AT LEAST 120oz of water per day, more if I'm outside much. Check! Haven't missed yet, but I've had to take action a couple of times to make sure I didn't.
  • The third one I haven't really determined how to properly quantify. Eat more mindfully; stop and breathe. Take 10 seconds to check in. I did much better this week. I haven't made the jump to absolutely no distractions during dinner but I am focused on my plate, and while the TV has been on at times, it is literally in the background (behind me). I savored the heck out of some pita yesterday instead of eating it as fast as possible because it was dang good. So at least the concept is slowly sinking in.

I did get my bands hung up... and one of them fell off already lol. I guess I'm going to use those hooks elsewhere and find some magnetic ones of the garage. I also cleaned out and re-folded the majority of my wardrobe. It looks pretty, but it took much longer than I anticipated (half my Saturday, roughly) and I needed a workspace that was a few inches taller (I was slouching and the upper back DOMS made me weep.) Anyways. I believe a kitty toy round up will be on my list this week. I doubt I'll surpass the previous score, but you never know. Sometimes I think the cats intentionally push their stuff under the furniture just to see me digging them all out.

I've been in a unusually sunny mood today, so I leave you with the following:

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

• Like 3

Week 5 and challenge wrap up:

• Working towards Flying Pigeon pose. Practice Figure Four Chair pose, with reaching my hands to the floor 5/7. I did skip one day on account of another headache, and one random bad stomach-ache.
  • Water my weekends well. Drink AT LEAST 120oz of water per day, more if I'm outside much. Check! Haven't missed yet, but I've had to take action a couple of times to make sure I didn't. It seems to be paying off in terms of not feeling like I've been run over by a parade of pachyderms.
  • The third one I haven't really determined how to properly quantify. Eat more mindfully; stop and breathe. Take 10 seconds to check in. I feel like I did well with this overall. It's weird trying to figure out how to grade something so subjective but I do feel like I'm actively paying more attention to my eating habits, and I'm not actively sitting in front of the TV with snacks. Generally, I am pleased with things.

I did not do a whole lot of extras this week. I did straighten up the pantry (again) and canned goods cabinet (again). I also put a few things in a box to be donated at some point. We did seek out lost kitty toys, but found surprisingly few. (We also found we need to vacuum/dust under furniture more often.) I think I hit a floor press PR, if I remember right. Got a lot done at work. Determined my to be read/TBR list is actually longer than when the world started shutting down. So, we read and read, yet there's so much more to go, and I'm not mad about that. I haven't decided what I'm doing for the next round yet. I'm starting back to 4 days/week lifting (from current 3), tweaking some nutrition (peanut butter, forever and always) and either re-emphasizing mobility or giving up squats. Not sure how much more I want to add. I'll figure it out at some point I suppose. Anyways.

giphy.gif

Happy Star Wars Day and zero week!

• Like 3