• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Magdalena Ravenclaw

Quarantine Challenge Makeover

So, I'm going for one of those Biggest Loser transformations during quarantine -- it's the only thing helping me emerge from my depression that started when everything I worked for this year to launch my own business was cancelled due to Covid-19. Anyway . . . 

My goal is simple:

• Strength Train 6x a week
  • Hit 159.anything by May 1

• Like 1

Fri  --   Upper Body   ✔️ 170.6

Sat --  Lower Body   ✔️ 

WEEK OF MARCH 29

Sun -- OFF

Mon  --  173.4  Didn't work out. I don't know if I forgot or if I was just too depressed; I honestly don't remember; this whole quarantine has been a blur.

Tues  --  Upper Body   ✔️  172.4

Wed  --  Lower  Body  ✔️  171.0

Thur  --  Upper  Body  ✔️   170.8 

Fri     --   Lower Body    ✔️  169.8   169.anything (Goal)  ✔️

Sat    --  Upper Body  OFF

Sun   --  OFF  Upper Body ✔️

I don't weigh myself over the weekend, cuz I always splurge a bit (thin crust pizza, drink, rice cakes with cream cheese, 90% cocoa chocolate bars), so even though I get on the scale everyday, I only count Fridays weigh-ins.

Welcome! Six strength workouts sounds like a fine way to spend the quarantine. What kind of workouts are you doing? Bodyweight? Barbells? Bands? Bells? :) 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Harriet said:

Welcome! Six strength workouts sounds like a fine way to spend the quarantine. What kind of workouts are you doing? Bodyweight? Barbells? Bands? Bells? :) 

Kind of a mix. I have dumbbells, a barbell, and bands. I do 10-18 reps of 2 sets at the moment. I try to lift as heavy as I can to hit fatigue in the least amount of reps, but it obviously varies. My dumbbells are 10 pounds each and I do shoulder exercises with them, and double up for biceps. I have an ab thingy that doubles as tricep dip thingy. I do step ups on my coffee table so my knee is parallel which I believe is the highest you are suppossed to do. I do 2 sets of 12-15 of them to get a good burn. I do pushups or chest presses depending on my mood. The barbell is 30 pounds and I also do squats with it and overhead presses. The leg extension on my weight bench is 50 pounds. 

Obviously, I am not a power lifter. I don't really understand power lifting. I am either really out-of-shape/weak or maybe power lifters only do 1 or 2 reps??? I mean, according to the charts I should be squatting 70 pounds as an untrained beginner. That's more than 2x the amount I do.  So, I find power lifting just demoralizing, lol.

Right now, I just want to get out of the overweight BMI category. 

Currently: BMI -- 28.3 (Overweight)

In February I was Obese: BMI: 30.5 (Obese)

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Magdalena Ravenclaw said:

Obviously, I am not a power lifter. I don't really understand power lifting. I am either really out-of-shape/weak or maybe power lifters only do 1 or 2 reps??? I mean, according to the charts I should be squatting 70 pounds as an untrained beginner. That's more than 2x the amount I do.  So, I find power lifting just demoralizing, lol.

Two very important things:

The first is that if you do powerlifting you are a powerlifter, regardless of the number of the plates you're using, or the numbers that are actually on those plates. It's not about how much weight you lift, it's about having the desire to lift it. The only ones powerlifting right now, with gyms being closed everywhere, are the people who have their own equipment for that in their own homes. The rest of us remain powerlifters, while we temporarily do other kinds of lifting, and wait for this to end so we can go back to the barbells at the gym. (I miss them, my precious barbells...)

Secondly, those charts are one of the most unhelpful things you'll ever come across in the world of lifting. If you absolutely have to read them, at least point and laugh at them. Trying to squat 70 lbs as an untrained beginner is at best laughable, at worst it can be dangerous, at least if by "beginner" we mean, "someone who has never done any kind of strength training with weights before". If you have never done a back squat with a barbell, and you immediately challenge yourself with a heavy weight on the bar, you risk injuring yourself and injury risk is obviously something that should be avoided  whenever possible. No, you should begin with a very low weight, so you can learn proper squat form before you progress to heavier weights, which seems to be exactly what you are doing with your 30 lbs bar. 

I would not be surprised to hear that there's a lot of untrained beginners out there that can handle squatting 70 lbs when they first start out, because we all come from varied backgrounds and have different abilities. It may even be a normal average for beginners. But that doesn't mean that someone has to be able to lift that before they can start powerlifting, or that you can't be one if you aren't that strong yet. A person who lifts weights, is a weight lifter. How big that weight is, that is completely irrelevant.

And I'm going to step off my soap box now, before I get too carried away. 😛 

Welcome to the guild, Warrior.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Magdalena Ravenclaw said:

Kind of a mix. I have dumbbells, a barbell, and bands. I do 10-18 reps of 2 sets at the moment. I try to lift as heavy as I can to hit fatigue in the least amount of reps, but it obviously varies. My dumbbells are 10 pounds each and I do shoulder exercises with them, and double up for biceps. I have an ab thingy that doubles as tricep dip thingy. I do step ups on my coffee table so my knee is parallel which I believe is the highest you are suppossed to do. I do 2 sets of 12-15 of them to get a good burn. I do pushups or chest presses depending on my mood. The barbell is 30 pounds and I also do squats with it and overhead presses. The leg extension on my weight bench is 50 pounds. 

Right now, I just want to get out of the overweight BMI category. 

Currently: BMI -- 28.3 (Overweight)

In February I was Obese: BMI: 30.5 (Obese)

Congrats on dropping your BMI. 

All strength is good strength. You don't have to be a powerlifter. And yeah, the standards they write up online can be crazy and just don't apply if you're coming from a really sedentary background. I started with dumbbells for the bench, squat, and overhead press because I couldn't lift the bar. Powerlifters only do 1 rep when they compete, but their training will involve lots of rep ranges for hypertrophy, strength, skill and technique. The only thing that matters for your training is that you 1. enjoy it and 2. make it more difficult in some way over time. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Harriet said:

Congrats on dropping your BMI. 

All strength is good strength. You don't have to be a powerlifter. And yeah, the standards they write up online can be crazy and just don't apply if you're coming from a really sedentary background. I started with dumbbells for the bench, squat, and overhead press because I couldn't lift the bar. Powerlifters only do 1 rep when they compete, but their training will involve lots of rep ranges for hypertrophy, strength, skill and technique. The only thing that matters for your training is that you 1. enjoy it and 2. make it more difficult in some way over time. 

Thank you. It's been hard, but I've finally gotten up the motivation to start again.

I don't come from a really sedentary background (I was 151 a year ago; it was a very stressful year and I put on 32 pounds). And even at this weight, I can run up my stairs enough times to be Ahch-To. I've also lifted weights off and on since my teens. A few weeks ago, I tried the squat with 50 pounds, but really struggled with form so went back to 30. But, I agree with what you said -- it has to be what I enjoy, and that is what I'm doing (as much as one who doesn't really enjoy exercise can, lol). And yes, I get stronger over time and either add sets or add weight. I guess what I meant to say is that lifting a certain amount of weight isn't my goal; looking a certain way is. If the time comes when I am motivated to actually look cut (something I've always wanted but never achieved) and if that means I have to start power lifting, I will. But if regular weight lifting can get me there, then working my way up to what those charts say I *should* be able to do just doesn't matter to me. I hope that makes sense.  

• Like 3

Upper Body Workout: chest press, bicep curls, tricep dips, overhead press, delt raises, lat pull down (with bands). Plus, I did some light cardio (steps) for a few minutes.

I really, REALLY want to see 169.anything tomorrow. I haven't seen the 160's since last summer. I can't believe little over a year ago I was 151. I stressed ate to 183 in one year. 😭  I know that I have not fixed that. And if I don't fix that, I will gain it all back again. I don't like exercise enough to turn to it when I'm depressed/stressed and want food. But for now, I'm just working on losing it. Again.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Scalyfreak said:

If you have never done a back squat with a barbell, and you immediately challenge yourself with a heavy weight on the bar, you risk injuring yourself and injury risk is obviously something that should be avoided  whenever possible. No, you should begin with a very low weight, so you can learn proper squat form before you progress to heavier weights, which seems to be exactly what you are doing with your 30 lbs bar. 

And I'm going to step off my soap box now, before I get too carried away. 😛 

Welcome to the guild, Warrior.

Thank you. And yes, I agree. I tried with 50 pounds a few weeks ago and wasn't happy with my form, so went back to 30 pounds. 

Question for you though -- you said, if you power lift you are a power lifter regardless of weights. What's the difference between power lifting and regular weight lifting? Is it just dumbbells versus barbell?

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Magdalena Ravenclaw said:

I really, REALLY want to see 169.anything tomorrow. I haven't seen the 160's since last summer. I can't believe little over a year ago I was 151. I stressed ate to 183 in one year. 😭  I know that I have not fixed that. And if I don't fix that, I will gain it all back again. I don't like exercise enough to turn to it when I'm depressed/stressed and want food. But for now, I'm just working on losing it. Again.

Sorry about the weight stress. I went from 50kg to 70kg over a couple of years (I think 110lb-155lb?). What a shock. At one point I was so unhappy with my weight, it made up most of my thoughts, every day. That  was an unpleasant time. And the drastic measures I took were unsustainable, so the weight I lost came back... Now I have a sport I love, but I've only made partial progress in my intuitive eating. Oh well.

20 minutes ago, Magdalena Ravenclaw said:

Question for you though -- you said, if you power lift you are a power lifter regardless of weights. What's the difference between power lifting and regular weight lifting? Is it just dumbbells versus barbell?

I think scaly is saying we are powerlifters in our souls, even if we are currently deprived of our barbells. Weightlifting could refer to bodybuilding, powerlifting, olympic lifting, or any workout routine with some weights. Oly lifting is, well, an olympic sport that involves competing in the snatch and the clean & jerk. Powerlifters compete in the deadlift, squat, and bench press. Bodybuilders use weights as a tool to shape their body and compete based on appearance. Though scaly and I don't compete, we think of ourselves as powerlifters because we train primarily for strength (not appearance, like bodybuilders) and focus our training around the squat, bench, and deadlift. And we get happy and excited when our maximum lifts get heavier :D You don't have to do any of those types of lifting, or you can mix training styles. 

Gotcha. My main motivations are appearance and strength/endurance. Meaning, I lift to sculpt my body and to be strong enough to do cool stuff someday, like a mud run or mountain climbing. I want the strength and endurance to do those things without huffing and puffing and getting worn out within 5 minutes. So what does that make me? 

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Harriet said:

I think scaly is saying we are powerlifters in our souls, even if we are currently deprived of our barbells. 

Indeed we are. (An injured warrior is still a warrior!) I have no interest in competing, I just lift for myself. And while I do enjoy the fact my body looks different now than it did when I started lifting, that's a side-effect, not the goal.

38 minutes ago, Magdalena Ravenclaw said:

Gotcha. My main motivations are appearance and strength/endurance. Meaning, I lift to sculpt my body and to be strong enough to do cool stuff someday, like a mud run or mountain climbing. I want the strength and endurance to do those things without huffing and puffing and getting worn out within 5 minutes. So what does that make me? 

I would say that is entirely for you to decide. Or discover. :) 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Magdalena Ravenclaw said:

Just now, Scalyfreak said:

I would say that is entirely for you to decide. Or discover. :) 

I agree. You can take training elements from bodybuilding, powerlifting, and other sports, but you don't have to BE them. You can just be a warrior, if you like :) Or... I feel obligated to say this because you mentioned endurance... a ranger. There's absolutely nothing wrong with being a ranger and we'll still be proud of you if that's what you choose. 

• Like 4

Lol, it's not necessarily a mud run. It's that I am fascinated with obstacle courses . . . like the military kind or Ninja Warrior kind. I want to be strong enough to do them which I assume means weight lifting and endurance in the sense that my strength holds out to the end. 

• Like 2

Sorry about your business plans.. I hope you’ll be able to launch it after this shit show is over. And you’ll be stronger to boot 😁

Well, I did it. 169.8. Whoot whoot!

As happy as I am to finally get out of the 170's, I can't believe how much of a fight it was to get here. I was 178 right after Christmas, started a diet in January and by mid-February I was 183. (Sticking to the diet was an epic fail, obviously). So here it is April and I'm only now out of the 170's. Don't get me wrong, I'm proud of it. But the next 10 pounds feels pretty impossible right now, let alone 30 pounds. What would make me feel really good is if there is a pair of jeans that actually fits. But I just tried on a pair about a week and a half ago and they snapped but were too uncomfortable to actually where and I doubt 2-3 pounds has made that much of a difference. 

I am really, really sore today so I doubt there is a chance of a workout. Sunday is suppose to be rest day, but it looks like today will be. 

• Like 4

Congratulations on the weight! Of course you did it. :) 

For what it's worth, working out often helps reducing the soreness. That's why it's a good idea to do some light activity on rest days, like yoga or walking. I used to swim a lot for that purpose. 

On 4/3/2020 at 8:12 AM, Magdalena Ravenclaw said:

So here it is April and I'm only now out of the 170's. Don't get me wrong, I'm proud of it. But the next 10 pounds feels pretty impossible right now, let alone 30 pounds.

Hmm. Can you do two weeks deficit, two weeks maintenance? 

Lol, if I take a break it could turn into months. Again. I just have to focus on my rewards. And not get disappointed if I can't lose 10 pounds in 1 month. The best thing I could do is stay off the scale and just keep working out, but I am an addict. ☺️

• Like 1

9 hours ago, KB Girl said:

As long as you don’t lose your mind over little fluctuations 🤷‍♀️

Nope. My weight always shoots up over the weekends. Only Friday morning's weight counts. Unless of course I lose before then, lol.

So, I splurged a lot more than planned this weekend. Not a binge. Just didn't stick to plan. And drank a few extra drinks Friday night. I did squeeze in a mini lower body workout Friday night and a full upper body workout today. Several times i was tempted to get junkfood (chocolate chip cookies / brownies), but never did, though I did eat some of hubby's chocolate (Symphony Milk) in addition to my planned 90% cocoa chocolate bar. 

• Like 1