• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

miss_marissa

Miss Marissa doing what she can

Thanks everyone! I have an ice cube tray I plan to use to freeze cubes of it when the time comes, but it's still more tomato paste than I can imagine using lol

On 4/29/2020 at 11:52 AM, Scalyfreak said:

Freeze it in smaller amounts and then just dump it into whatever you're cooking at the time. I do this with milk, since we never finish it before it goes bad.

I didn't know you could freeze milk!

On 4/30/2020 at 3:45 AM, darkfoxx said:

Seconded! I now use tomato paste in random stuff because the last time I went to buy any the only container available was a 16 ounce squeeze bottle of the stuff. 

Also I so feel you on the partners whining about unpaid labor. Mine has to continually remind himself to be better about this before I remind him. It’s more pleasant when he self-corrects. 

And yay, home improvement projects! Improve that Batcave! 

Woo hoo! Hoping to knock out some more as well.

23 hours ago, Harriet said:

I am always unsure how much ounces are. But however much it is, it could always disappear into a ragu bolognese. Or it could be used instead of pizza sauce on a home made pizza. 

an ounce is two tablespoons

22 hours ago, JustCallMeAmber said:

Seconding (thirding?) freezing of tomato paste. If it's good enough for Alton Brown, it's good enough for me. Also, the internet says you can freeze the garlic as well, but I've no experience with it personally.

ooo! This needs investigation

20 hours ago, raptron said:

Hahhhh. Such a classic exchange. IT IS HARD and it IS a collection of learned skills, which I think is something that also gets glossed over. It's not like you just "know" how to cook or grocery shop or manage the logistics of these things. You know what needs to be done because you have done the work learning how it works in the first place.

If you start trying to take on tasks you don't normally do, don't just get frustrated because it doesn't automatically come easily -- you're going to have an adaptation period where it IS extra difficult. Expect that and work through it and appreciate the folks who normally do these things for you. Obviously this is not directed at you in this case. 😜

YESSSSS!!!!

11 hours ago, Scalyfreak said:

This part seems obvious, but is so difficult to remember. I've been surrounded by home cooking for as long as I can remember. My parents both worked, so they took turns making dinner and enlisted the help of their children as soon as we were old enough. The idea that there are adults out there who genuinely don't know how to use a zester or how to peel a clove of garlic, is literally unthinkable to me. As in, I have to be reminded and told about these things.

Yea, J is definitely NOT like that. He only knows how to cook boxed or frozens, ask him to use a knife or follow a recipe and you're in for an adventure. Which would be fine if that's how he wants to eat, but I on the other hand cannot subside on macaroni and cheese and frozen pizzas only. Which is part of the disagreement I think. He thinks I like to grocery shop and cook, as opposed to doing it out of necessity.

Wednesday

I don't know. Umm made dinner. Video chat w/ nerds? I really should update every day so I don't forget.

Oh starting reading "Descending Stories" for group read for comic club tomorrow. I also have not started our Sunday book club book yet. 

Breakfast -coconut pancakes w/ banana and pb

Lunch - BAS - spring mix, radicchio, apple, cashews, homemade dressing + avocado toast

Dinner - Israeli couscous w/ zucchini and sweet potato

Thursday

LONG Day at work. Basically hopped off work onto a call w/ some gym members. They were doing this "girls night out" shopping thing with a local apparel brand. By the time that ended it was almost 9 and too late to workout. 

Breakfast -egg bake

Lunch - PB&J with veggies + hummus, + apple

Dinner - forgot? I had a protein bar late

Goals:

1) handstand or hang  

2) Change clothes 

3) fruits and veggies  

• Like 5

22 minutes ago, miss_marissa said:

an ounce is two tablespoons

Or two thirds of a standard shot glass, if that is easier to visualize. ;) 

22 minutes ago, miss_marissa said:

Yea, J is definitely NOT like that. He only knows how to cook boxed or frozens, ask him to use a knife or follow a recipe and you're in for an adventure. Which would be fine if that's how he wants to eat, but I on the other hand cannot subside on macaroni and cheese and frozen pizzas only. Which is part of the disagreement I think. He thinks I like to grocery shop and cook, as opposed to doing it out of necessity.

My very first thought here is to be surprised that he is unaware you don't enjoy cooking. That seems like something that may need to be mentioned at some point...?

My second is that you have very accurately described the cooking knowledge discrepancy between me and Husband, and that's just eerie. The difference is that I actually genuinely enjoy cooking.

I find the act of preparing a meal de-stressing, so I actually look forward to making dinner after a long and stressful day, because I know that a half hour of peeling, chopping, slicing, seasoning, searing, or whatever else is required put the meal together, will make me feel better. I also enjoy reading recipes and tweaking them, and even though I can't for the life of me tell the difference in flavor between the many varieties of oregano or cinnamon, I enjoy reading about them and geeking out over what goes better with which other ingredients. I watch instructional cooking videos for fun. Basically I'm a food geek. :)  If I was not, and the cooking was a necessary chore, similar to laundry or cleaning, we would have a big problem right now.

• Like 1

I sometimes feel like a pretty good cook.. and then I watch some master chef junior xD 

Did you have any more of those morning walks? 

• Like 1

On 5/1/2020 at 11:06 AM, miss_marissa said:

Yea, J is definitely NOT like that. He only knows how to cook boxed or frozens, ask him to use a knife or follow a recipe and you're in for an adventure. Which would be fine if that's how he wants to eat, but I on the other hand cannot subside on macaroni and cheese and frozen pizzas only. Which is part of the disagreement I think. He thinks I like to grocery shop and cook, as opposed to doing it out of necessity.

Right. Living of pizza does not feel awesome. Just because he feels less crappy when eating pizza, doesn't mean you doing 100% of the work to eat better is a fair split.

• Like 1

On 5/1/2020 at 1:29 PM, Scalyfreak said:

My very first thought here is to be surprised that he is unaware you don't enjoy cooking. That seems like something that may need to be mentioned at some point...?

My second is that you have very accurately described the cooking knowledge discrepancy between me and Husband, and that's just eerie. The difference is that I actually genuinely enjoy cooking.

I find the act of preparing a meal de-stressing, so I actually look forward to making dinner after a long and stressful day, because I know that a half hour of peeling, chopping, slicing, seasoning, searing, or whatever else is required put the meal together, will make me feel better. I also enjoy reading recipes and tweaking them, and even though I can't for the life of me tell the difference in flavor between the many varieties of oregano or cinnamon, I enjoy reading about them and geeking out over what goes better with which other ingredients. I watch instructional cooking videos for fun. Basically I'm a food geek. :)  If I was not, and the cooking was a necessary chore, similar to laundry or cleaning, we would have a big problem right now.

I wish I enjoyed it like that!!! I wouldn't say I don't like it, but I guess I'm more neutral on it. I recognize it as a necessity and do it. Sometimes I can enjoy it, like if I try a new recipe and it works out well, but many times it does seem like a chore.

The CHOPPING is my least favorite part! I think if I didn't have to chop I wouldn't mind it as much :)

On 5/3/2020 at 11:09 AM, KB Girl said:

I sometimes feel like a pretty good cook.. and then I watch some master chef junior xD 

Did you have any more of those morning walks? 

lol

I did on Friday and Saturday! went for like 3 walks on Saturday which was awesome.

Weekend small update

I left work early Friday! Must less early than the full day off I wanted to take, but still 3 hours early!

Read the group read for comic book club - Descending Stories (manga) it was not my style, but I found out there is an anime that I might check out.

I started reading the book club book and got about 1/3 of the way done before book club, but LUCKY ME! only 1 person read the whole thing, so we just video chatted and are meeting next week to actually talk about the book

Went for many walks.

Went for a jog Friday afternoon. Skipped to W2 of C25k and wore my new sneakers. Will repeat this. It was a little challenging, but I also ran with a mask, which I'm sure did not make it any easier.

J and I ordered take out last night from a local burger joint. I got a salmon sandwich and chips. It was ok, but nice to not cook.

Sleep is meh.

New challenge should be up today!

• Like 8

22 hours ago, miss_marissa said:

Weekend small update

I left work early Friday! Must less early than the full day off I wanted to take, but still 3 hours early!

Early is still good!

Went for many walks.

Yeee.

Went for a jog Friday afternoon. Skipped to W2 of C25k and wore my new sneakers. Will repeat this. It was a little challenging, but I also ran with a mask, which I'm sure did not make it any easier.

I am not loving the jogging with a mask lifestyle either but alas. 🤷‍♀️

J and I ordered take out last night from a local burger joint. I got a salmon sandwich and chips. It was ok, but nice to not cook.

:D

• Like 1

On 5/4/2020 at 11:44 AM, miss_marissa said:

I wish I enjoyed it like that!!! I wouldn't say I don't like it, but I guess I'm more neutral on it. I recognize it as a necessity and do it. Sometimes I can enjoy it, like if I try a new recipe and it works out well, but many times it does seem like a chore.

The CHOPPING is my least favorite part! I think if I didn't have to chop I wouldn't mind it as much :)

This reminded me: Yes, you can freeze milk, but it does some kind of weird separation thing when you thaw it, that looks a bit unappetizing and makes it hard to mix it into things. I get around this by just dumping the frozen solid pieces of the milk into what I'm cooking at the time. The heat makes the milk melt literally into the sauce and the whole thing becomes a non-issue.

• Like 1

On 5/4/2020 at 12:44 PM, miss_marissa said:

New challenge should be up today!

th2H81ORKW.jpg

2 hours ago, Scalyfreak said:

This reminded me: Yes, you can freeze milk, but it does some kind of weird separation thing when you thaw it, that looks a bit unappetizing and makes it hard to mix it into things. I get around this by just dumping the frozen solid pieces of the milk into what I'm cooking at the time. The heat makes the milk melt literally into the sauce and the whole thing becomes a non-issue.

This is good to know. We really only buy it when is needed for recipes (like mac n cheese) so I almost ALWAYS dump out majority of the carton because it has gone bad. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1