• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Hello there, I’m //Min.

tumblr_inline_nnf4dpXpvX1snulow_75sq.gif tumblr_inline_nnf4dpXpvX1snulow_75sq.gif tumblr_inline_nnf4dpXpvX1snulow_75sq.gif  I’m late to the challenge but I would still like to try as it looks like fun. I’m new to nerdfitness and joined hoping to find others to journey along and celebrate with. I also created a battle log.

Big Picture: Building habits for foundation to healthy life.

Challenge goals:

1. Dietary: Eat 5 servings of fruit and vegetables combined daily
  2. Exercise: Exercise at least 5 times a week (30 mins)
  3. Skincare: Do facial regime twice daily

I selected the above as they were habits I started to build recently and am working on keeping them up. Though, #2 is a change from before where I went to the gym at least once a week. Since I have started working from home indefinitely since 1 April, I cannot go to the gym and my daily activity level has gone down, hence I want to try and build something into my daily routine.

Additionally for April, I am exploring how to incorporate self massage into my life, so I’ll share my thoughts on that.

How I’ll update: Once a week on the above.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Harriet said:

Welcome to the forums, and good luck with your goals! What kind of exercise do you do? 

Thank you Harriet :)

To overcome the inertia, a creaky body and the reduced daily activity due to work from home, I'm starting small with gentle exercises in the morning and increased frequency to daily (previously I gymed twice a week). I'm tweaking the timings and the exercises I do so that hopefully when work from home ends and I go back to work, part of this will still be my daily routine.

I have a one and a half hour time slot between waking up to starting work to fit in the following: 

• 20 - 30 min gentle aerobic exercise (daily)
  • 5 - 10 min intense bodyweight exercise (still working out schedule)
  • 10 min massage/foam rolling/stretching (daily, still working out routine)
  • 20 min wash up and facial regime (daily)
  • Breakfast

For the aerobic and intense body weight exercises, I am following two youtube channels. One of them sometimes has very fit shirtless Korean men leading... >_> we all need a little motivation you know? XD

• Like 2

Week 1 // 29 Mar - 4 Apr

Dietary: Eat 5 servings of fruit and vegetables combined daily

Goal achieved! The week before, I overate and less veg for three days, tried skipping dinner to make up for it and my body went haywire. Consistent three meals a day works best for me.

Exercise: Exercise at least 5 times a week (30 mins)

As I was still working out how to incorporate this, I hit this target 3 times this week. Knowing what I wanted from a youtube channel helps making find the right one easier.

Skincare: Do facial regime twice daily

Missed out on two evenings, fallacy thinking that face is less dirty if I’m working from home oops. T-zone seems to be getting increasingly oily. Is this hormonal changes?

Self-Massage

Currently trying to build a foam rolling routine. Why does foam rolling seem like a workout by itself? It is tiring to get into positions… I can’t be the only one thinking this lol. Focussing on the calves, hip flexors and back for now.

Thoughts

The first week was mostly planning and tweaking the routine, hence not all goals were met. However, I think it’s a great start and feel excited for the weeks to come. The exercise quest will be the most trying one I think.

• Like 3

Week 2 // 5 Apr - 11 Apr

Goal achieved! It’s been a bit harder to get fresh vegetables with the lockdown, so frozen and canned versions are used. Realising I like cold dishes at lunch but warm dishes at dinner… Starting to entertain the thought of becoming vegetarian...

Justttt did it with 5 times! I fell ill which lasted most of the week, but since the exercise I chose is light, it was still doable. Doing the same routine daily brings awareness to different body parts on different days, it’s interesting! I think my focus is becoming more defined to just trying to move more throughout the day.

Missed just one evening, so it’s mostly a win. But. I will. get there. There is no ugly women, only lazy women lol~

Self-Massage

Barely did any foam roll this week, being ill made getting down and lying on the floor very… unappealing. Mostly been researching and exploring, on what I can do, on what exactly do I want from a massage and how to meet these objectives. Seeing key words to consider: trigger points, myofascial release, sports massage, deep tissue massage, facial massage, reflexology. Reading a book called “Deskbound” by Kelly Starrett that was recommended by another forum member, it looks really promising.

Thoughts

Overall not a bad second week. Making things achievable helps build a momentum. MOMENTUM! Like Levi badass momentum. 

tumblr_opx6tg2daD1r72ht7o1_540.gifv

• Like 2

10 hours ago, //Min said:

ustttt did it with 5 times! I fell ill which lasted most of the week, but since the exercise I chose is light, it was still doable. Doing the same routine daily brings awareness to different body parts on different days, it’s interesting! I think my focus is becoming more defined to just trying to move more throughout the day.

Good job on the exercise despite feeling unwell. I hope you're better now. 

• Like 1

Week 3 // 12 Apr - 18 Apr

Goal achieved BUT I started to eat unhealthy snacks (chips/fried food) and I started to feel worse through the week. It’s crazy how just one or two big portion of snacks is enough to throw my body off course. Reset, no more snacking unhealthily.

4 times this week. The snacking had a knock on effect, I didn’t have the energy to get out of bed when I woke up to do my exercise, opting to sleep in a bit more on three days. Even at a later part of the day I would feel a bit more sluggish and resist starting the exercise, even if it was really simple. I need to rethink my strategy a bit.

Edit: I also noticed that I tried to add more time to the routine before the the base habit was stabilised. That might be a reason why I fell short.

This is now automatic and I barely think about it/resist it. I’m really happy bout this.

Self-Massage

I was so focussed on finding information that I didn’t do any self massage at all. My body is starting to tighten up again, the calves and left side of my body. Got a little stuck in the book. I need to just DO, regardless of whether its perfect, or it would not get done at all.

Thoughts

Third week was some loss in motivation and slideback. This is usually the time I start to get a bit tired of working towards things I set, when I'm not seeing big positive changes or I take things for granted. I know that of myself, and I have to grit down and push harder to get out of a funk. It a deep hole. It feels lonely when people I know personally say “its ok to take a break” or “your routines are too restrictive” or try to tempt me otherwise instead of cheering me on. They don’t understand these are decisions people need to make for themselves, that thought has gone into it and the light at the end of the tunnel is everything to work towards too. The mental discomfort is but a part of the journey. This flame refuses to go out. 

giphy.gif

• Like 2

10 hours ago, //Min said:

Third week was some loss in motivation and slideback. This is usually the time I start to get a bit tired of working towards things I set, when I'm not seeing big positive changes or I take things for granted. I know that of myself, and I have to grit down and push harder to get out of a funk. It a deep hole. It feels lonely when people I know personally say “its ok to take a break” or “your routines are too restrictive” or try to tempt me otherwise instead of cheering me on. They don’t understand these are decisions people need to make for themselves, that thought has gone into it and the light at the end of the tunnel is everything to work towards too. The mental discomfort is but a part of the journey. This flame refuses to go out. 

You know best about your energy/motivation/feelings. You have the best information on what's likely to work. Good luck getting the exercise routine to work better this week!

• Like 1

On 4/19/2020 at 11:45 PM, Harriet said:

You know best about your energy/motivation/feelings. You have the best information on what's likely to work. Good luck getting the exercise routine to work better this week!

Thank you! This week so far, digging deep and moving forward. It feels good.

• Like 1

Week 4 // 19 Apr - 25 Apr

Full steam ahead! I should start brunching out to more fruit though, I only seem to like apples lol~ My fat loss has stagnated in the month of April, probably from the reduced activity of staying home, so I'm going to start reducing portion sizes. I have to be prepared that I'm going to feel very cold... (>_<)

Smashed this goal! Exercised daily every morning for half an hour, sometimes the urge to stay in bed was strong, but it's getting easier. So proud of myself! ᕙ(`▿´)ᕗ 

Looks like having alternative days didn't work so well, I need daily habits to set a baseline to come back to before I started switching things up.  

Still doing this daily (though one or two days I skip a step or two in between oops). Some bumps appeared on my forehead, not sure if its the product that's causing it. Started using a home made facial scrub, its so cheap and easy! 

Self-Massage

Started on the mobility exercises in the book. Not really seeing much from it yet... Just have to keep trying.

Thoughts

A great week for my physical health me thinks. Baselines were set and I can build up from there. I think baselines are important, it makes bouncing back easier. The future is looking bright. I'll celebrate this win~ Yahoo~!!

tumblr_inline_p7njeyjZ9o1sy9ae7_540.gif

• Like 4

On 4/27/2020 at 10:26 AM, Sloth the Enduring said:

Nice job getting the workouts in.

On 4/27/2020 at 12:20 PM, Harriet said:

Nice job on the diet and exercise!

Thank you!! I'm grateful for your support! ^_^

• Like 2

Week 5 // 26 Apr - 2 May

Goal met! So far the servings are comprising mostly of vegetables. I also started to eat my dinner earlier on some days and saw some fat loss. 

6 times this week every morning! I switched to a harder daily workout this week (sweating more) and had to take a rest for one day when I was feeling poorly. I made a new rule to myself for some flexibility to keep this habit going for the long term: if I miss one day, I must work out the next day. That way, at the bare minimum, I’m exercising half a week. Another thing I noticed, exercising is almost meditative, I think *a lot* when I’m exercising. It’s pretty cool to use this time to hear my own thoughts.

I don’t even have to force myself any more. I hope in future to simplify this routine, but for now I’ll keep at it.

Self-Massage

To be honest, I’m still a bit murky on the information out there, its just not clear in my mind. I’ve decided rather than stressing about it, I’m just going to commit long term to the 14-day routine set out in the book I’m reading. My body is too tense to see any results without a consistent approach. 

Thoughts

How time flies! I didn’t quite realise the challenge had ended and I’m happy to say that my goal is achieved! The habits have been built, I barely have to think about doing them, and now it’s about continuing to enhance them.

As I'm not really a morning person, I will say its a great feat to be able to exercise every morning for half an hour right out of bed. I’ve also changed myself from a meat loving person to a vegetable eating person. The human mind is really an amazing thing. I'll allow myself to feel a little proud for what I've done to-date. 

I’m surprised that the weekly updates here were quite effective in helping me have checkpoints to gauge and tweak my progress. I hadn’t really known what to expect from a challenge so this is a great outcome. I’m glad I decided to join the challenge (˘ ︶ ˘)

The road is long, but I will continue to look up and move forward towards my freedom. 

tumblr_pca5stu7DO1u9of0co2_500.gif

Next question: Which guild should I join?  (·∧‐)

• Like 3

20 hours ago, //Min said:

Thoughts

How time flies! I didn’t quite realise the challenge had ended and I’m happy to say that my goal is achieved! The habits have been built, I barely have to think about doing them, and now it’s about continuing to enhance them.

Very excellent.

20 hours ago, //Min said:

Next question: Which guild should I join?  (·∧‐)

If you don't have a specific sport and want a more general focus, the rebels might be a good place to start? You can always visit other guilds or switch allegiances later, so whatever you choose will be fine :) 

22 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

I’m impressed that you ate so many vegetables. I can’t make myself do that.

Haha! It wasn't easy... I have to stick to the vegetables I actually like to make sure I eat it and build it into times I normally wouldn't eat it (e.g. breakfast) T_T

6 hours ago, Harriet said:

Very excellent.

If you don't have a specific sport and want a more general focus, the rebels might be a good place to start? You can always visit other guilds or switch allegiances later, so whatever you choose will be fine :) 

Most excellent~ Reminded me of Bill and Ted when you said that haha! I am thinking of either Rebel or Ranger. I keep flipping lol~

• Like 1