Question for any fit mamas out there

So, after 3 kids (the youngest two are 3 and almost 2), I pretty much look pregnant unless I'm sucking in. I've started doing an ab routine (crunches, oblique crunches, and reverse crunches) every other day, but I'm curious about something. 

I am pretty sure I do NOT have recti diastasis, and I realize that I have quite a bit of weight to lose (at least 20 if not 30-40 pounds) but do I look pregnant because my ab muscles just need to be strengthened or do ab muscles naturally curve out into a pooch when not sucking in? I'm going to be brave and post pics to help explain what I mean. I guess what I'm asking is, do strong ab muscles stay in "sucked in" position even when you sit, or will I always have to consciously suck in to not look pregnant?

relaxed.jpg

sucking in.jpg

When people sit down normally, they generally will have a bit of a stomach "roll". There was a pretty good article Shape Magazine did looking at fitness professionals about this exact topic (see link here) - sorry for annoying pop up type things that might arise. It's based on the amount of fat one has in their stomach area and posture. If you choose to lose weight, you'll probably see a difference in your shape, but as no one can target fat in any one area, the time it takes is variable. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Sylvaa said:

When people sit down normally, they generally will have a bit of a stomach "roll". There was a pretty good article Shape Magazine did looking at fitness professionals about this exact topic (see link here) - sorry for annoying pop up type things that might arise. It's based on the amount of fat one has in their stomach area and posture. If you choose to lose weight, you'll probably see a difference in your shape, but as no one can target fat in any one area, the time it takes is variable. 

Thank you so much!!! I nearly cried while reading that article. I just want to make sure I have realistic expectations and this helped a lot!!! Thank you again!!!

• Like 1

Sitting down and having some "rolls" is pretty normal from what I know. I think that was awesome though of you posting pics, but you look great! I think that link Svlyaa posted explains everything perfectly. I have heard (I'm no expert) that keto in the short run can be really good for weight loss before you hit a plateau but maybe when that plateau is reached maybe switching from fats to a ratio balance could help. (I'm so sorry if none of this is helpful I hope it does though!) I found what I'm talking about from shape.com

• Balance the power. An ideal fat-burning meal plan includes 30 percent protein, 40 percent carbohydrates, and 30 percent fat. Research has found that dieters who stuck to these ratios lose about 22 percent more belly fat after four months, and 38 percent more after a year, than those who follow a low-fat diet. Turn up the volume. Foods containing a lot of water and fiber (salads, vegetables, fresh or dried fruits, and whole-grain breads or pasta) expand in your stomach and make you feel full faster with fewer calories. (This is exactly the premise behind the volumetrics diet, BTW.)