For how long should I do Spot Jogging ?

Hi,

I am suffering from Anxiety disorder. My psychiatrist has suggested me to do cardio.

I am 37 years old & I have done strength training & yoga all my life. I have never done

cardio. I have started doing spot jogging at home just 2 days back. I am feeling mild 

pain in my ankles. I am doing spot jogging for 5 mins twice a day. I am using a stopwatch

to keep track of time.

Q) For how long should I perform spot jogging ?

First, Welcome to the forums!

now. regarding running "on a spot"- I haven't done that much, but I guess, my limited experiments would suggest that its about as hard to run on a spot-as it is on a flat outdoor place, or on a treadmill (with no incline).

what is Hard about your question is guessing you fitness level and knowing how much running, err jogging you need for better mental health.  Maybe you can do a lot of running but don't need to do an intense session everytime to get the meditation you doctor is suggesting?

then again, MY Experience is that runs that are Long and outdoors are the most relaxing and meditative.  especially in the Early morning if I run for a hour or better I can get quite an session of chill mental calmness.

but could you JOG for an hour?  if you are NEW and you don't have a program. I kind of doubt it.

----

so lets ask a basic question

why ARE you staying inside anyways?  can you get to a quiet, seldom used park and just do some walking??  that, too, is "cardio".

(now I Say that knowing some places around the world forbid any form of outdoors exercise- Covid sucks.)

PS. I think you should also talk a little about your attempts at running (in place).  do you quickly tire? do you get winded?? do you simply dislike it (I know I would if I was running 'in one spot')???

PPS. I've asked some sharp questions.  Hope they aren't too nosey.  we Here at NF, are big about supporting people's attempt (whatever they might be) to be more fit and healthy.  I just think that the questions might help me understand, why you have designed your running program the way it is.

https://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/116426-im-awake/

the "NEW" normal is good with me! as Life was Never really Normal anyways....

Thanks for the reply.

Due to the fact that I have never done cardio before I am having a tough time jogging.

Yes I get tired quickly.

I am (spot) jogging 5 mins in the morning & 10 mins in the evening.

Our government has declared a total lock down so I can't jog outside.

oh ok

then I recommend (spot) jogging alternating with stepping in place or better yet,pacing between two rooms (living room - kitchen?)

anyways,  EVERYONE struggles with constantly jogging when they start running- you need walking to allow for recovery.

I would take all your intervals and add a walking interval then repeat the jogging interval.

for example instead of 5min in the morning...   5 min(jog) 5min(walk/pace) 5min(jog)

and 10min(jog) 10min(walk/pace) 10min(jog).

if the 10-10-10 is to much (in the evening). repeat the 5-5-5. 

that would be either 30 or 20minutes of jogging a day; and that's a great start IMHO.

understood

this makes sense to me. 

make sure that legs don't experience , more discomfort, given the same amount of volume.

if they do; discontinue the program and write again.  

otherwise, let us know, if the running is helping to ease some of the mental anxiety.  I'd be curious to know.

What I am doing is I am using a stop watch to keep track of time.

After 5 mins of jogging when my leg muscles get tired I pause the

stopwatch, rest for like 30 secs and start jogging again.

Yes the jogging is in fact working to minimize my anxiety.

I am feeling a lot more relaxed now.

• That's Metal 1