Hi,

I'm a 58 year old guy.  in one year I went from 240 lbs down to 183 with alot of sacrifice and hard work.  Hope I can get some tips and inspiration here from people more exp'd than me at this.  Only tip I have is if your older stay away from incline treadmill work.  Caused a severe Shin splint that took two months to recover from. Currently working out with Dumbells three times a week at a fast pace, doing 100 Burpees a day, and doing some metabolic fast pace HIT exercise I got from Funk Roberts on utube.   

• Like 2

Welcome, and way to go on the weight loss. I'm not sure why, but I can walk forever normally, but treadmills always seem to give me shin splints.

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

Yeah I stopped the treadmill and did 30 minutes on the rowing machine and 30 minutes on the eliptycal.  Using stretching methods and toe raises it started to heal and in two months is 90% healed.  I even bought a treadmill before that thinking my wife would use it so now I have to get rid of it.  Now the gyms are closed and had to resort to burpess, dumbells and anabolic hit cardio but its working and pounds are coming off

• Like 2

Once the gyms here in NW Florida closed I search Utube for workouts I could do at home with dumbbells which I have and a bench,  and for cardio without equipment.  I found this 30 day 100 burpees a day challenge.  Some of the results  pics looked amazing so I started awhile back.  Now I'm on day 23 now and seeing results.  My weight has dropped 11 pounds since I started.  Soon I will be amazed when I hit the 170s.  I also found a trainer named Funk Roberts on utube.  His main thing is training guys over 40 abd training MA guys and women.  Basically his thought is that after 40 men have to train different to achieve results after they plateau from traditional methods designed for younger men.   He says that static state cardio will soon  make your cortisol levels rise and therefore reduce your testosterone which is why gains stop of slow to a crawl.  So instead he teaches short Hit anabolic exercise with very short rest periods in between sets and exercises that get the heart pumping fast.  Believe me it does. I do 30 seconds of Sprints in place for three sets , 30 seconds of jump squats,  30 seconds jump lunges, 30  of jumping jacks, 30 seconds of burpess ( Gosh More? Yes) 30 seconds of mountain climbers, 30 seconds of spider planks.  Its a serious workout and  way way better than 30 minutes on the eliptycal and 30 minutes rowing.   Combine with eating about 700 calories under my maintain number  of 2500 , I'm trimming down, getting cut, and  trimming my belly to almost nothing.  I may not return to the gym once they open. Pretty decent for a 58 year old guy

Welcome! I'm so sorry - shin splints sound so painful! That HIIT workout looks intense, I'm glad it's working for you! 😊

Battle Log: Cry Havoc and Let Slip the Fox of War// Challenge 1 (Do Over) // Respawn Log: Continue [Y]/[N]

“Some humans would do anything to see if it was possible to do it. If you put a large switch in some cave somewhere, with a sign on it saying 'End-of-the-World Switch. PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH', the paint wouldn't even have time to dry.” 

Thief of Time