• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

So my gym (unsurprisingly, given current circumstances) is closed, and I'm doing body-weight training at home in the interim.

So my dilemma is that I'm finding it REALLY hard to source decent, affordable home workout gear that works in my house. I don't have the space to accommodate any permanent fixtures at this stage, and my house is awkward in all kinds of ways. (I recently bought a J-shaped pullup bar that "fits most standard doorways" only to find it works on precisely ONE doorway in my house, somewhat precariously.)

I 'm currently in the market fot gymnastic rings (or equivalent, like a TRX or something) that I can strap over a door or my pullup bar. I'm finding a lot of TRX knockoffs that are super cheap but I don't think I would trust. The more professional products seem to be WAY up the other end of the same in terms of cost, and/or are supposed to be used as part of a set with other,  expensive equipment that I just don't have the space or money for. Some items don't specify how it's supposed to attach or what you can attach it to (marketing blurb boasts "anywhere!" which is less than helpful).

Does anyone have any product recommendations they could share? I'm based in the UK, but a lot of brands are probably international.

I mean, TRX are effectively just webbing with handles. I use tie-down straps and climbing rope/pulleys for my own setup, but I'm betting any of the door anchor options under £50 are probably more than sufficient.

Alternatively, you could get a good set of resistance bands?

Thank you for the reply! That's reassuring. My best option so far in terms of value and clear instruction is this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PRO-Suspension-trainer-straps-Home-Gym-Fitness-Resistance-bands-for-TRX-training/362961309758?hash=item54822e103e:m:mtKjjFnQ997rpZvlEjtNozg

I think my main concern was because many of these variants are so cheap in comparison to the branded ones, they might be unsafe in some way. I can never tell if the huge price difference is due to the big brands being hugely overpriced or an unbranded variant being poorly made and not quality tested! But by the sounds of it, I might well be ok with the generic.

I do have resistance bands, although only one of each resistance, and they're kinda short. 

It's impossible to properly compare 'generic' vs branded unless you have them physically side by side. If I had to guess the branded stuff would likely have better quality stitching, and possibly materials. But if you're mounting it with a door anchor (or a doorway pull-up bar), I'd guess that the weak part of the chain is actually going to be the door! Which is to say if you're manipulating under 200lbs or so, it's likely all pretty similar. That being said, I'm totally not an expert, so take this with a grain of salt. ;)