• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Vickyloo

Vickyloo's First Shaky Challenge!

Hi all!

I'm totally not sure if I'm doing this right and I know I'm starting late but I'm going to give it a go all the same. :D

So, a little about me. I started my journey at 13 and a half stone (189lbs) and lost 2 stone due to Slimming World and a little bit of exercise. I'm no longer a member of Slimming World and really want to continue my journey focusing on the 'fitness', living a healthy life style and training side of things rather than straight dieting. I'm getting married to a wonderful man next year and want to be hot for the wedding ha ha! Also, in August, I'm doing a 700 mile bike ride from Central France to South Wales, over 7 days, raising money for the British Heart Foundation (couldn't be more Scout, right? lol) I'm no where near ready for this ride and really need to kick my training up a gear (or 3!)

Here are my starting attributes:

Strength (STR) - physical strength - 2 (my lower body is pretty strong but my upper body is definitely lacking)

Dexterity (DEX) - agility and speed - 1 (Speed and agility are something that I lack)

Stamina (STA) - Endurance and Energy - 4 (I have pretty good stamina)

Constitution (CON) - ability to resist damage and disease - 1 (I have very little will-power when it comes to dieting)

Wisdom (WIS) - intuition and sense of things around himself - 4 (I like to think of myself as pretty wise)

Charisma (CHA) - force of personality and physical attractiveness - 3

CHALLENGE 1: I really want to improve the strength and tone of my arms and so my first challenge will be to do 2 sets of 10 push ups and 2 sets of 10 floor dips, 3 times a week (Sunday, Tuesday and Friday). If I accomplish this, I will award myself 4 strength points.

CHALLENGE 2: To cycle an extra 30 miles per week - preferably in one lump but if life/work gets in the way, I will allow myself to break up the 30 miles into smaller chunks. For this, I will award myself 4 stamina points.

CHALLENGE 3: I have a reasonably healthy diet except for about once a week, when my partner and I will have binge nights, full of take-away, crisps, sweets and pop. This is bad and so for my third diet and fitness challenge, I will stop doing this! My points: 4 towards constitution.

LIFE CHALLENGE: I am aspiring writer and have written a novel but since started a new job back in November, it has simply been gathering dust. So my life challenge will be to finish the editing completely and get it sent to at least one publisher. For this, I will give myself 3 wisdom points.

So that's it! Since it's Sunday, I'm off to start on my first challenge! Wish me luck :)

Okay, so having tried Challenge 1 today, I realise it is a little out of my league (having done no upper body strength work before!) So I would like to amend it to 1 set of 10 push ups and 1 set of chair dips, 3 times per week. I will try to build up to the original challenge throughout the weeks! Not the best of starts, but it's good to realise your limitations and work on them, right?

Okay, so having tried Challenge 1 today, I realise it is a little out of my league (having done no upper body strength work before!) So I would like to amend it to 1 set of 10 push ups and 1 set of chair dips, 3 times per week. I will try to build up to the original challenge throughout the weeks! Not the best of starts, but it's good to realise your limitations and work on them, right?

I am in a similar spot! I have started my strength training this week as well, and my upper body is not very strong at all. I am happy now to know where I am at, and it is great that we have a clear idea of where we want to get to. Also, I do the binge thing too - lets work together to not do that for this challenge.

Good luck!

Thanks Asta - working together on that sounds great. It's good to know I'm not the only one who does that!

Good luck for your challenges too! :D

Hi Sundae, I can do about 5 with good form and then a few extra shaky ones before I collapse on the floor in frustration! I'll get there though - the work and the journey can be just as fun as the achievement. :D

I must admit I kinda love collapsing on the floor and lying the for a few minutes catching my breath after eeking out every last push up I could. I am sure you are going to dominate your goals by the end!

I love the collapsing on the floor part too. Something that looks so simple and yet can completely exhaust you in so little time.

Hey Vickyloo,

Looks like you managed to sort out your challenge character sheet just fine. I've been trying to PM you back all weekend, but for various reasons, I couldn't get them send! (I just spent 20 minutes crafting a detailed reply this morning, only to have my session time out when I sent it, and lost the whole thing! grr)

But it looks like you've found your way nicely all the same. Your goals are great! Looking forward to seeing you crush them :)

Thanks Barefoot. Yeah, all it took was a little concentration lol! Thanks for trying to reply though, much appreciated!

I'm loving this forum - it was an excellent find and I'm excited to be part of the challenge! :D

Just checking in with how my first week went.

Challenge 1 (10 push ups, 10 dips) has gone really well so far - I haven't missed a day and I can feel that they are getting easier. I've even added in some dumbbell rows as well (I will get rid of my flabby arms before I get married!)

Challenge 2 (cycle an extra 30 miles per week) has gone really badly! I didn't cycle any extra at all last week (only my usual commute to work) - A mixture between bad weather, too much to do and plain, simple laziness. I have arranged to go on a good long ride on Saturday with someone though, so this week it will get done!

Challenge 3 (no binge eating) has also gone really well. I haven't had any binges and on the whole, my diet has been okay (I even behaved myself on my one and only monthly night out last week!)

Life Challenge (to edit and submit my novel to publisher) is going swimmingly too. I spent quite a lot of time editing last week. I've got a little more editing to do but the submission process should also be starting at the end of this week/beginning of next week. It feels fantastic to be getting back into it. I had forgotten how much I love to write and I must remember that no matter how much I like my job or how much I care about it, I mustn't let my writing slip away from me. Time is frittered away too easily.

All in all, I'm pretty pleased with myself. Add the cycling in and I'll be on the home stretch! :D

Checking in with my 2nd week :D

Challenge 1 (10 push ups, 10 dips) has gone brilliantly again - I haven't missed a workout and I've increased to 3 sets of 10 of push-ups, dips and rows. I'm really chuffed. I didn't expect to see so much improvement so quickly - it makes me think that perhaps I wasn't giving it my all at the beginning of this challenge and doing it so regularly has given me the confidence rather than the strength to do more. Either way, it's a fantastic result and it feels good to be able to feel something vaguely firm underneath my flesh, instead of a flag of flab dangling from my arms lmao!

Challenge 2 (cycle an extra 30 miles per week) has gone much better this week. I did 29 miles, which I'm pleased with, although it wasn't all in one chunk. I did one 20 miler and then 5 miles and 4 miles. I'm happy with this but I'm planning on getting more done this week!

Challenge 3 (no binge eating) has gone okay. I have had a few too many 'treats' (makes me sound like a dog lol) but I haven't had any massive binges, so I'm reasonably happy with that.

Life Challenge (to edit and submit my novel to publisher) is fantastic! The final draft of my novel is finished and ready to go. For this week and next, I'm going to work on the other material needed for submission (synopsis, covering letter, bio etc) and then for the final week of the challenge, I'm going to get copies made and sent off. I'm really pleased I've finally made this progress and rediscovered my love for writing. I've even started gathering ideas for the second book! :D

This forum, and this 6-week challenge, is absolutely brilliant. I have recommended it to everyone I come in contact with lol! It's really honed my focus and concentration and made me make SMART goals, instead of just having vague ideas of what I wanted to do. SMART goals make so much more sense and really do make it easier to achieve what you want (blimey, I sound like an advert ha ha!)

This week has been so bad. I've had overtime in work that I just can't justify turning down, my mum is visiting from France, my sister in law is in hospital and my flat is being decorated and so is in a crazy mess.

I can't get my bike out because of the decorating so I've done no cycling.

I haven't made time for all my strength training because of all the other things I've had going on (an excuse, I know. I should make time, I could have made time if I am honest with myself, I can always make time if I really want to). I've only missed one session though so it's not so bad.

I haven't done any real progress with my writing because my computer has been down for the last few days (decorating). I did get some second opinions on some bits of my work though and taken on board some of the constructive criticisms I received so it's not completely lost.

I've binged too (one and a half times - the half time because I really wanted to binge and did eat some bad stuff but it wasn't a proper binge) because I am weak and stupid (stupid because it doesn't make me feel good, I know that and I still do it, I don't understand why or what I think I'm achieving). The full binge was tonight, just a few hours ago. Now I feel sick and disappointed in myself. Meh.

I feel really disheartened and like I want to give up but then I look at how far I've come and I realise that is just a ridiculous thing to think. Tomorrow is a new day and tomorrow I can put this week behind me and start over. There is still chance to not let this challenge slip away from me and I know I'll get there. I know I can do it, I just need to put in the work and work out some ways of handling the curve balls that life throws.

Anyway, thanks for listening to me moan lol! I don't want a pity party, I just wanted to get this off my chest and of course, I want a slap to get me going again, make me accountable and wake me up.

:) Hope your week wasn't so bad!