• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

chemgeek

Request: high iron recipes

Hi so... I am a blood donor with an uncommon blood type. I used to donate more frequently but a chronic health condition has made that more difficult the past year. Part of my epic quest is to get my chronic condition under wraps enough that I can donate at the maximum allowable frequency. I got my first one for this year this week and my next appointment is already scheduled. 

Which brings me to iron. Frequent blood donors are at elevated risk for anemia and for non-anemic iron deficiency. And iron deficiency anemia runs in the family. I have never had it but I don't want to start. I will be consulting with an MD and dietitian to evaluate whether I need supplements (it is recommended for all frequent donors in my country) but I would also like to optimize my diet for iron intake. So plz drop your high dietary iron recipes here! :)

if you are going for non-meat sources, you can improve your iron uptake by eating Vit C at the same time.  Add tomatoes to your spinach, orange juice with nuts and seeds, lentils with bell peppers and winter squash.  Bonus is they tend to taste good together.

• Like 1

Cooking on cast iron skillet also helps with this. And they retain heat well, can be used as a bludgeoning weapon, and they last forever.