• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Tanktimus the Encourager

Angsty: Tanktimus Endures the Uncertainty with Angst Rock

1 hour ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Remember, as Darkfoxx alludes to below, it's friggin hot down here. I stay inside a lot in the A/C. Some days just standing in the sun for 15-30 minutes means you need a shower.

But, it's only June! Yeah, I totally forgot about that heat thing. Right now, we are lucky if the temps hit 70.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Scalyfreak said:

Yes! Always, always, cook enough to have leftovers!

I messed up yesterday and cooked only just enough of the stir-fry chicken for one meal, so the only leftovers I have for today is half a mountain of basmati rice. I predict dinner tonight will be some kind of fried rice... :) 

You can see the future!

Just now, Elastigirl said:

But, it's only June! Yeah, I totally forgot about that heat thing. Right now, we are lucky if the temps hit 70.

In July and August our LOWS are in the 70s. By June it's already hot, and it usually gets hot in May. In bad years it gets hot in April.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

You can see the future!

In July and August our LOWS are in the 70s. By June it's already hot, and it usually gets hot in May. In bad years it gets hot in April.

And this is why I live in Washington. I would melt anywhere else

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Dieticians are uncommon here. I know that's hard to believe given the stereotypes of skinny Americans ;) but it's true. Honestly, I KNOW what is helpful to focus on and avoid, it's behavioral issues in actually doing what's helpful I struggle with. Also, convenient food is often not healthy here in the states, and lately I'm prone to defaulting to convenience. Given my extensive time in the NF community, I probably can get by with asking for help on the forums.

That brings up a question for me, how much of what you do as a dietician is education (e.g. these foods help you, these foods are not helpful) and how much is coaching people on making healthy choices once they have the info they need? 

Interesting!

it kind of depends... dieticians working in hospitals do a lot more educating work, for example helping set up carb counting for someone using insulin or helping calculate salt intake for someone with failing kidneys.

But if you have a good one working with general population (which your problem still falls under) then people generally already know what healthy eating is and what they should be doing. So the focus is much much more on helping achieve behaviour changes. This is a relatively new development though, 20 years ago education was still much more important. The classes we had on the subject often felt like they fell short. I did two internships, one with an older lady who really just gave people “eat this” on a sheet and then weighed them every other week. Completely useless. The other internship was much better, but still.. lots of room for improvement left. 
So after graduating I didn’t quite feel like I knew how to properly help change behaviour so I did a .. vocab is failing me here, but a continued education thing that focused exclusively on behaviour change. It was very very useful. And from my intervision group I’ve seen more and more dieticians continueing their education because everyone sees the need. 

• Like 3

So much to catch up on, wowzers.  Bullet points for conciseness! 

• Lab Results and numbers - sorry they weren't Totes A-Okay, but don't let it get ya too frazzled.   Plenty of time now to adjust.
  • Glad the doctor feels that given the low number on the A1C, you tackling it 100% nutritionally is where she's starting you.  AWESOME!
  • My cholesterol numbers get goofy- my bad is a little high, but my good is SO GOOD that my cholesterol ratio is healthy.   Some docs say 'oh gosh!' and most say 'Eh you're fine'.   But I DID choose to lay off the eggs and bacon EVERY day routine.  *innocent*   Hoping next year those numbers come down!
  • Zomg on the Sra Ankle Story.   I saw that on the faceplace and was glad to hear that Little Bit just had some excitement on her trip from upstairs to downstairs, and that the ankle doesn't seem *too* pesky at this point.
  • Wish I had behavioral advice on the food side.   I'm currently on one of my nothing can stop me streaks ... which is leading to perfection/obsession sometimes and freaking my sister out.   But that's a story for another thread lol.   I feel like there is a constant ebb and flow on my ability to do what I know needs doing, despite really enjoying the doing or not.  Sometimes I am on it, sometimes I'm not.  I just hope the more time I spend on the ON IT, reinforces it as the new normal eventually?
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

And this is why I live in Washington. I would melt anywhere else

If it weren't for A/C I would be somewhere else. 

5 hours ago, KB Girl said:

Interesting!

it kind of depends... dieticians working in hospitals do a lot more educating work, for example helping set up carb counting for someone using insulin or helping calculate salt intake for someone with failing kidneys.

But if you have a good one working with general population (which your problem still falls under) then people generally already know what healthy eating is and what they should be doing. So the focus is much much more on helping achieve behaviour changes. This is a relatively new development though, 20 years ago education was still much more important. The classes we had on the subject often felt like they fell short. I did two internships, one with an older lady who really just gave people “eat this” on a sheet and then weighed them every other week. Completely useless. The other internship was much better, but still.. lots of room for improvement left. 
So after graduating I didn’t quite feel like I knew how to properly help change behaviour so I did a .. vocab is failing me here, but a continued education thing that focused exclusively on behaviour change. It was very very useful. And from my intervision group I’ve seen more and more dieticians continueing their education because everyone sees the need. 

I for sure need the second type of dietician if I get one. Glad you chose to focus on helping people with the behavioral component.

3 hours ago, Starpuck said:

So much to catch up on, wowzers.  Bullet points for conciseness! 

• Lab Results and numbers - sorry they weren't Totes A-Okay, but don't let it get ya too frazzled.   Plenty of time now to adjust.
  • Glad the doctor feels that given the low number on the A1C, you tackling it 100% nutritionally is where she's starting you.  AWESOME!
  • My cholesterol numbers get goofy- my bad is a little high, but my good is SO GOOD that my cholesterol ratio is healthy.   Some docs say 'oh gosh!' and most say 'Eh you're fine'.   But I DID choose to lay off the eggs and bacon EVERY day routine.  *innocent*   Hoping next year those numbers come down!
  • Zomg on the Sra Ankle Story.   I saw that on the faceplace and was glad to hear that Little Bit just had some excitement on her trip from upstairs to downstairs, and that the ankle doesn't seem *too* pesky at this point.
  • Wish I had behavioral advice on the food side.   I'm currently on one of my nothing can stop me streaks ... which is leading to perfection/obsession sometimes and freaking my sister out.   But that's a story for another thread lol.   I feel like there is a constant ebb and flow on my ability to do what I know needs doing, despite really enjoying the doing or not.  Sometimes I am on it, sometimes I'm not.  I just hope the more time I spend on the ON IT, reinforces it as the new normal eventually?
  • I'm in that sweet spot on the lab results between ignoring them and freaking out where I take them seriously without panicing
  • Yes, I was not crazy about adding a Metformin prescription
  • More about Ankle below
  • Ride that streak as long as you can
24 minutes ago, Red1263 said:

Here's hoping to Sra. Tanque's speedy recovery and to your getting ahead of these nutrition problems

Thank you for the support.

7 minutes ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

Paleo-Mediterranean sounds really tasty.

It really is. Gyro anyone?

I have found with posting a song every day the challenge is not finding something to post, it's getting into the fifth week and remembering whether or not you have posted something already. I'm confident I have not posted this yet. 

Today is a good day. Sra. Tanque's parents came to get the baby around 9. I did KBs and mowed the yard while Sra. Tanque was doing her zoom curriculum planning. We had lunch, which was hashbrowns cooked into scrambled eggs with bacon. I went and put gas in my truck, got prescriptions, then got groceries, including salt for the water softener. It comes in 40 pound bags and I got three. The shopping carts are really good at HEB cause that 120 lbs in my cart felt like nothing. When I was unloading it I carried each of the three bags from the back of my truck over to the softener differently. The last one was a one handed farmer's carry (the bags have handle). I wish I had done that with two of them cause I felt like a badass bracing my core with no trouble while I carried that bag. Sra. Tanque's parents brought the baby back not long after I put groceries away. By that time my body was tired. I actually had some coffee before making dinner.

For dinner I peeled and chopped 6 russet potatoes and boiled them. When I do potatoes that way I heat the potatoes in the water then when it's boiling I start a timer for 20 minutes. While that was going I put asparagus with salt, pepper, avocado oil, and white wine vinegar in the oven at 450 degrees for 18 minutes. I then made White BBQ Sauce (I never heard of it before) with 1 c mayo, 1/3 c apple cider vinegar, 3 tsp water, 1 tsp Worcestershire  sauce, and 1/2 tsp each salt, pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder. It was too vinegary by itself but tasted good on the chicken, which was cooked with salt, pepper, and minced onion in avocado oil and some of the sauce. When the potatoes were done I drained and mashed them with sour cream, chopped green onions, a little milk and some cheddar cheese. It was really good.

I got little bit and Sra. Tanque upstairs and am posting now and I am TIRED. We learned how good our teamwork is today when Sra. Tanque could do very little because of the ankle. I had her rest as much as possible and ice the ankle. It's somewhat better today but still sore. The swelling has gone down. I left the kitchen with dirty dishes because I was finished, and Little Bit wasn't even home the whole day. My parents are coming over tomorrow, I hope I can get stuff done before they get here so they don't have to help with the baby while I get stuff done. They wouldn't mind at all if that happened, but I want to get to visit with them.

• Like 11

great job managing everything at home and work while taking care of your health...oh yeah, all in a time of angsty crisis. You are rocking it.

• Like 1

I was diagnosed with prediabetes almost three years ago, just before the Tubbs fire, and put on metformin. I had one session with a dietician. I tried really hard to follow her diet, but it was hard and my a1c kept going up. I have since been following these guidelines.

https://www.bloodsugar101.com/how-to-lower-your-blood-sugar

My goal these days is to test frequently and keep my blood sugar under 140 at all times. Keeps my a1c lower. It is interesting what foods raise my blood sugar, e.g. oatmeal, rice, milk. All things that the dieticians recommend but they just don’t work for me. You can buy a meter and test strips without a prescription. My doctor has me do lab work every three months and keeps a very close eye on things. I like her thoroughness. Good luck.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Xena said:

great job managing everything at home and work while taking care of your health...oh yeah, all in a time of angsty crisis. You are rocking it.

Thank you, a lot.

21 hours ago, Emma said:

I was diagnosed with prediabetes almost three years ago, just before the Tubbs fire, and put on metformin. I had one session with a dietician. I tried really hard to follow her diet, but it was hard and my a1c kept going up. I have since been following these guidelines.

https://www.bloodsugar101.com/how-to-lower-your-blood-sugar

My goal these days is to test frequently and keep my blood sugar under 140 at all times. Keeps my a1c lower. It is interesting what foods raise my blood sugar, e.g. oatmeal, rice, milk. All things that the dieticians recommend but they just don’t work for me. You can buy a meter and test strips without a prescription. My doctor has me do lab work every three months and keeps a very close eye on things. I like her thoroughness. Good luck.

Thanks. I'm not to the point I feel like I need to test yet, my Glucose was 106. Still a serious issue, but if it's at 106 without trying to eat healthier, I think I can get by without buying a test kit for now. 

Awesome band name. Also, Texas is mentioned in the song.

Today is a good day. Sra. Tanque is doing better. Not healed, but can walk around better. We went for Little Bit's 9 month checkup. She got a shot and barely fussed. She is the average length of a 15 month old, and in the 75th percentile for weight at her age (She had been in the 50th percentile for some time). My parents came over after lunch, it was the first time we had seen them since March. It was a good visit. Dinner was flank steak cut for stir fry, cooked with some frozen veggies (I had a little bit of stir fry mix left) and chopped celery (it was fresh) in sesame oil with soy sauce, ginger, garlic, and rice vinegar. Toward the end of cooking I added a teaspoon of black bean garlic sauce (it's salty so a little goes a long way). I served it over some brown rice (Frozen, steams in bag) with some steamed broccolini on the side. Simple and very tasty. I did some stretches as a bare minimum that's better than nothing.

• Like 13

Good news on a few fronts there.   Healing and visits are nice.   And way to go Little Bit for not fussing at the shot.   If only you could conquer the bath eh?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Jarric said:

Glad Sra. Tanque is healing up well, and that you got to see you parents after 3 months.

Thanks!

6 hours ago, Starpuck said:

Good news on a few fronts there.   Healing and visits are nice.   And way to go Little Bit for not fussing at the shot.   If only you could conquer the bath eh?

tenor.gif?itemid=16197953

1 hour ago, Snarkyfishguts said:

That sounds like a good day indeed! 💚

It was!

I was in the mood for an Angsty song that doesn't sound Angsty.

Today is a good day. Sra. Tanque's ankle is sufficiently better that she felt like she could manage bedtime without me tonight while I'm at work. It won't be easy, but she can do it. I did KBs this morning. I took Little Bit outside before it got too hot and we got our 15 min of sunshine. We watched some TV for a while, then I made lunch (fried egg sandwiches on toast with bacon and cheese and an apple). Between us we did the laundry and watched the baby. It was a good day.

• Like 9

I have no idea why they thought a carousel was the correct setting for a rendition of this song.

Well, here we are at the last day of the challenge. KBs went well. I didn't go walking. I did some stretching. I cooked some. Challenges are no longer successes or fail. They come, I inhabit them, they go. I'm ok with that. I've been doing this a while. Today I cooked and it was simple and really good.

I started by putting some natural peanut butter (meaning literally only made with peanuts, no other ingredients) in a big bowl that could handle heat. It was between 1/2 a cup and a cup. I then added 3 tbsp soy sauce and 2 tbsp rice vinegar. In retrospect I would prefer those numbers transposed, it was a little salted. I also added 2 tbsp water. I whisked that together, then cooked about 8 oz of ramen noodles in boiling water and 2 lbs of ground pork in a little bit of avocado oil with salt, pepper, and rice vinegar. I put the pork and the noodles in the big bowl with the sauce, then a bag of cole slaw (Shredded cabbage and carrots) and mixed it all together. It was very good.

Back in the days of 6 week challenges right here was what we called the Week 5 doldrums. I'm glad zero week is coming tomorrow.

• Like 12

Mama Tried- this video probably inspired grunge. I mean there's an ironic set for a rebellious man, and then cut to a creepy man smiling oddly in the corner (don't be alone with that bass player!)

I mean, we just need some petals falling onto a loaded table of rotted food, while someone's mascara runs. Grunge precursor. 

you know, I like the lack of success and failure in a challenge. It's so much pressure. Just being here and doing the work is good enough, and good enough is exactly that. Oh the doldrums. Five weeks is just about right. Are you leaping into week 0 or taking a break?

That meal sounds pretty tasty. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Snarkyfishguts said:

Mama Tried- this video probably inspired grunge. I mean there's an ironic set for a rebellious man, and then cut to a creepy man smiling oddly in the corner (don't be alone with that bass player!)

I mean, we just need some petals falling onto a loaded table of rotted food, while someone's mascara runs. Grunge precursor. 

you know, I like the lack of success and failure in a challenge. It's so much pressure. Just being here and doing the work is good enough, and good enough is exactly that. Oh the doldrums. Five weeks is just about right. Are you leaping into week 0 or taking a break?

That meal sounds pretty tasty. 

I get my challenge threads up before the forums go live. I'm all in on day one.

• Like 6

9 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

I get my challenge threads up before the forums go live. I'm all in on day one.

You’re in the zone! Awesome! I’ll be cheering you on again

• Like 1