• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

deftona

The QuaranQueen's Garden Party (Now with Community Jukebox!) Deffy #60

5 hours ago, deftona said:

Yes! Ok! 

image.jpeg

(have you ever seen something so fabulous)

SQUEEEEEEEE I LOVE IT SO MUCH! 

Also feeling you on political frustration. It's just a lot of WTF? over here with rum in the coffee too .

• Like 1

18 hours ago, deftona said:

I am drunk and can;t be bothered to find an outfit for tonight so just make something uo

Today;s garden party theme:

I love this so much

8 hours ago, deftona said:

I need to move to another country. 

I would say come here because we have an RV...buuuuuut, we can just meet up in Canada. lol

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Snarkyfishguts said:

Also feeling you on political frustration. It's just a lot of WTF? over here with rum in the coffee too .

It was a dark weekend for British politics. And if nothing comes of this it sets a really dangerous precedent going forward that's actually pretty terrifying. 

5 hours ago, Novaurora said:

I would say come here because we have an RV...buuuuuut, we can just meet up in Canada. lol

... yeah I think the USA makes the currently very short list of countries I wouldn't rather be. I wouldn't say it's worse but it's definitely not better. And your loons have guns. 

• Like 1

Today's garden party outfit

image.jpeg

(I thought I should make extra effort since I turned up in a dressing gown yesterday) 

Today's music theme:

A song that just screams SUMMER. 

• Like 2

I signed on for this to get an education. I have listened to most of the videos posted here. It has been very educational. I learned that I still don’t care for rock and roll.

Anyway, Summer, by one of my favorite composers, Antonio Vivaldi, performed by my favorite group, Apollo’s Fire.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Cheetah said:

Leapt to mind right away.  This is it.

This makes me want to play a racing video game! 

6 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

That song is so amazing.

Agreed! 

6 hours ago, Salinger said:

a few that remind me of summer and good times, drinking with mates. 

All fab picks! 

6 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

This song always reminds me of summer

I hadn't heard this before, I like it :)

5 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

Both great choices! 

4 hours ago, Emma said:

Lovely! 

2 hours ago, Quirky Quinn said:

Check out Daft Punk's new single "Get Lucky" if you get the chance. Sound of the summer.

That's not new? It's a great song though! 

• Like 1

My summer picks

(Or anything by Sublime)

Or anything by Lana Del Rey. Her music always sounds sticky and sweaty to me. Probably not the sound she's going for, but I mean in a sultry summer night kinda way

• Like 2

Monday Update

It was bank holiday here yesterday so TH was off work. We spent the morning sunbathing together in the garden so I got to put on my bikini top and pretend I was somewhere a bit better. I couldn't get off Twitter though so it wasn't exactly relaxing, and then they announced the press conference and there was definitely no chance I could relax so I went in and started playing Assassin's Creed until the time came around for that. And he kept us waiting too, the entitled motherfucker. 

After watching Dominic Cummings further incriminate himself for an hour or so I spent the rest of the evening on Twitter again. It can't be healthy to be this furious for this long. Then I had another press conference to get angry about, then TH made us burgers for dinner and they were the best burgers I have ever eaten in my entire life. Then we watched mindless TV because neither of us could drag ourselves away from Twitter. 

I had problems sleeping again last night. Mostly stress and fury.

Spoiler

Seriously, this whole scandal really sets a dangerous precedent. The divide and conquer bullshit which is exactly Dominic Cummings' brand of politics is disgusting. 

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, deftona said:

Limmy posts that every summer with QQs quote AHHA amazing.

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, deftona said:

Or anything by Lana Del Rey. Her music always sounds sticky and sweaty to me. Probably not the sound she's going for, but I mean in a sultry summer night kinda way

I almost picked this....gorgeous. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Salinger said:

Like Megan Amram's daily "Today is the day Donald Trump finally became president" tweet? hehehe

• Haha 2

23 minutes ago, deftona said:

Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about and it really is a great feeling.  Now I know where the phrase ignorance in bliss comes from

I'm sorry you have to deal with crap on top of all the other crap going on right now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Inquiring minds want to know. :) I searched a bit and Dominic Cummings did something and people want him to resign but he won’t. No idea what he did though.

6 hours ago, deftona said:

5 hours ago, Salinger said:

Im glad Sal got the reference!  It’s never a great look to have to explain your own joke! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Emma said:

Inquiring minds want to know. :) I searched a bit and Dominic Cummings did something and people want him to resign but he won’t. No idea what he did though.

So...

Spoiler

Dominic Cummings is Boris Johnson's top adviser. He is not elected, this bit is important later. He was pretty much the sole architect of the Vote Leave campaign that brought about Brexit from pretty much out of nowhere - at no point did anyone actually think Vote Leave would win. He did this by positioning "the people" against the "unelected bureaucrats" in Europe, taking our money and making us accept unfettered immigration (never true) and giving us nothing in return (also not true). He is also heavily involved with Cambridge Analytica, a very shady data consultancy firm that worked for the Vote Leave side, and was heavily instrumental in Boris Johnson's victory in the General Election last December that saw a shock landslide victory brought about by ads filled with intentional misinformation and illegal funding issues - or in short, electoral fraud. The victory of the conservative party, particularly in what have always been Labour stronghold areas was a result of the same "the people" vs "the elites" rhetoric employed throughout the Vote Leave campaign which is incredulous when you consider the Conservative Party were supposedly on the side of "the people", and not "the elite" as one would assume for a bunch of privately educated Eton and Oxbridge alumni with a vast number of private estates to their name. 

Fast forward to the beginning of the year and the coronavirus is creeping ever closer. Our government initially went with "herd immunity theory" (allegedly this was also a great idea of Cummings) so our lockdown was very late. Mumblings began about lockdown but this didn't actually happen until The Cheltenham Festival had taken place - one of the biggest horse racing events of the year and this allegedly pushed our lockdown back further following lobbying from bookmaking firms, and has been linked to the virus travelling up and down the country. We also allowed a Liverpool vs (was it Real?) Madrid match to go ahead, including flying in lots of fans of the latter team from a city that was itself under lockdown. Because of this and our complete lack of testing, the virus really took root and travelled here. 

We did eventually lock down towards the end of March and the instructions were very simple. Stay Home. Leaving your house was permitted only for shopping for essentials like food and medicine, going to work if you were a key worker and unable to work from home, and leaving for a medical need. If you had any symptoms of coronavirus you were to self isolate for 7 days, and if anyone you lived with had symptoms you were to self isolate for 14 days. This meant that up and down the country, people were having babies without their partners being allowed in the room, people were dying (of coronavirus and other illnesses) without their family being allowed with them, and very strict rules regarding how many people could be present at funerals. Everyone suffered greatly under this, but some must have suffered unimaginably. 

And this brings us to this week, when we find out that Dominic Cummings, who actually wrote these emergency lockdown legislations, didn't stay home. According to his story, his wife got symptoms of coronavirus and was unsure she could care for their four year old son. So he left work to check on her. He then went back to work (NOT SELF ISOLATING FOR 14 DAYS WHEN SOMEONE YOU LIVE WITH HAS CORONAVIRUS SYMPTOMS), and then drove back to his house, packed his whole family in the car and drove 260 miles north to the other side of the country - where his family farm is situated in Durham in case he and his wife needed help with childcare if he got sick too. (It's interesting to note this family farm has received a large amount of funding from the EU in the form of agricultural grants). He claims he then stayed then for his isolation period (after Deliverooing the virus the length of the country) and didn't leave the house at all, except to collect his son from the hospital who had been taken there by his wife who clearly HADN'T SELF ISOLATED FOR 7 DAYS as she had the virus, and he was allegedly sick with the virus himself and should also not have left the house. It seems like this is exactly the sort of childcare he claims he drove the length of the country to secure which begs the question why didn't anyone else in his family do this given this is exactly the reason he gives for doing what he did. 

He also had a lovely day out at a beauty spot called Castle Barnard which was around 30 miles away from where he was staying. He claims he went there to test if his eyesight was good enough for a drive to London, but it just so happens the day he did this was also his wife's birthday. It's also interesting to add that his wife is a journalist and she wrote a lengthy article about what they did during their quarantine in London, failing to mention completely that neither of them were anywhere near London and they were, in fact, in Durham. Calls for him to resign have been met with yet more backing from those high up in the conservative party, including Boris Johnson, and Cummings refuses to acknowledge he did anything wrong. Those high up in the party are now gaslighting the country by claiming what Cummings did was always fine and within the rules, which comes as news to thousands of parents up and down the country who looked after children with great difficulty when they themselves were ill with coronavirus, and especially the mother of a 13 year old boy who died alone due to these strict regulations it appears only Dominic Cummings fully understood were actually flexible all along. 

The dangerous thing about all this is Cumming's account of his behaviour is filled with numerous holes and his alibi is at best implausible. Yet still our government is backing him, at great cost to the public health message of staying home to reduce the spread of the virus. They have chosen to save one single man's career over the health of the nation and despite numerous revolts from their own scientific advisers, they are still refusing to call for him to resign or sacked. They maintain he did nothing wrong at all along and we could have done this too if only we cared enough for our families to bother to find alternative childcare. It's insulting. 

1 hour ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

Something about boiling piss if social media is accurate.  

Yes this is the TL;DR version. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

I believe my piss might boil as well.

Indeed. And especially when if you pick through all the bullshit, it's very clear he just wanted to spend Easter with his family. Just like everyone else. 

Spoiler

Also it's important to add we now had the world's highest coronavirus death rate per capita. Thank god they're spending so much political capital saving this man who is effectively murdering us. 

• Angry on your Behalf 2