The QuaranQueen's Garden Party (Now with Community Jukebox!) Deffy #60

Sunday Update

I decided to be good yesterday, food wise. It was a good decision. I made us salt and pepper mushrooms (like fried mushrooms but you cook them in a couple of tablespoons of water, garlic and lots of salt and pepper and they sort of taste like they have been fried in bacon fat) with a little stilton and a poached egg. It was good. Dinner was roast chicken with garlic braised kale. carrots, sweetcorn and skin on boiled potatoes. I'm glad I am not eating like a trash person still but we have an Iceland order due today. For those outside of the UK, Iceland is mostly processed foods but they are the only company proactively offering delivery slots to the shielded and given my dad is on that list, it's the only way I can still eat without having to leave the house to get groceries. We've been trying for weeks to get a delivery from any of the other supermarkets with no joy, but we do have an Asda delivery coming next Sunday (which we had to book about a month in advance). I'm going to forgive myself for all the stuff that doesn't actually matter during this difficult time and I think everyone else should too. 

I spent the rest of the day playing Assassin's Creed sitting next to TH who was playing Football Manager. We were taking frequent Twitter breaks because the world is on fire. I have never used Twitter much before but recently I can't get off it. The world feels like it's changing. I think it's desperately needed. BLM protests have started happening here. And our government have suddenly decided they don't care about science and they are opening up again despite the fact we have extremely high levels of transmission in the community and are getting more deaths per day than the whole European Union combined. It feels a bit like retaliation. I think we all need to make our own decisions in this, based on our own estimations of our safety. Government advice isn't cutting it. 

• Like 8

Your parents are magical. Also I love the plan for the Andre the Giant shrine. Sounds like cleaning out the soace was three types of yuck and you have my deepest respect 

i’m not going out right now either. I chose to support BLM through donations and lofting the voices of others, since words absolutely fail me right now. But I cant afford to get sick and bring that Near my dad. 

Weight gain is absolutely normal during a chronic stress situation and 2020 is a chronic stress situation. And its not like 2019 was a parade. You are loved. 💜

8 hours ago, Salinger said:

Reminds me of Villenelle that jumpsuit. *swoon*

I see it! 

8 hours ago, Snarkyfishguts said:

i’m not going out right now either. I chose to support BLM through donations and lofting the voices of others, since words absolutely fail me right now. But I cant afford to get sick and bring that Near my dad. 

I feel exactly the same. Normally, I'm right there at a protest but it's too dangerous for all my family right now. I am wondering if this is what our government are banking on though. 

3 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

Christina

Christina definitely has the best voice. 

• Like 1

Although I maintain she cannot and has never been able to sing, I am a Britney girl.

Although I don't much like her music. Except this one which is a workout playlist staple. 

• Like 2

Monday Update

Spoiler

Since we seem to have jumped from Level 4 Coronavirus alert right to Level 1 overnight, my dad who is shielding is now allowed to leave the house which they said wouldn't happen until we have a vaccine and I am sure it's not a case of throwing out all plans and advice and I look forward to getting my vaccination soon. /sarcasm.

I had a grocery delivery to my mom's and my parents were going to bring it over but when they got in their car it wouldn't start. They asked me to drive over and collect it, and when I got there my mom said she was sad because they'd been looking forward to leaving the house so I bundled them both up in the car and bought them to my house for a mini garden soiree. Neither of them had left the house at all since early march and I made them a mini picnic in the sunshine. I took them back home in the late afternoon and retired to the bath until TH finished work.

Spoiler

We watched the daily press briefing where the daily death rate was suspiciously low at just over 100, but a little digging shows they under reported by 450 so we had around 550 deaths on the day we opened schools. Our wretched, lying government, ladies and gentlemen. They have also decided not to publish the report as to why the BAME community are so disproportionally affected by Corona because of the "world events" and fear of stoking the flames. So they aren't publishing a report into racial injustice because there are currently protests about racial injustice. You really couldn't write this unfathomable arseholery from an inept, slimy, gutless government. 

I stand shoulder to shoulder with every person of colour in this world as they fight for the basic rights I am automatically granted on the basis on my skin colour. 

I was immediately driven to drink after watching that shower of utter lies and we had beers in the garden, then I made honey roast gammon for dinner. We spent more of the evening in the garden, but down at the bottom where the trees are and it was really nice to have a bit of a change of scenery. The way my garden is designed (we inherited it, there is no way I'd be able to design something this beautiful) it's split into two parts and separated by a bamboo screen so it's like having two gardens. It really is lovely. We watched some tame TV before spending the night on Twitter watching the world continue to burn. We watched Trump's conference. I have a lot of feelings but I'll leave them on Twitter. Also, nice to see Ebola making a comeback, 2020 really won't quit will it. 

• Like 4
5 minutes ago, Quirky Quinn said:

This gave me some strange feelings!

Poor Britney, trying her best. She really can't sing a note can she, bless her ❤️ 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, deftona said:

when they got in their car it wouldn't start.

This is a pretty common thing.  If you don't start a car regularly the battery will drain itself out and you won't be able to start the car.  This can be damaging to the battery and it may not be able to hold a charge anymore.  Also, it can damage the alternator, so even if you get a jump and get it started the first time, you will likely still have continuing problems with it.  I highly recommend getting to a mechanic (or do it it yourself if you are so inclined) 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, WhiteGhost said:

This is a pretty common thing.  If you don't start a car regularly the battery will drain itself out and you won't be able to start the car.  This can be damaging to the battery and it may not be able to hold a charge anymore.  Also, it can damage the alternator, so even if you get a jump and get it started the first time, you will likely still have continuing problems with it.  I highly recommend getting to a mechanic (or do it it yourself if you are so inclined) 

My dad said it was probably the alternator. Luckily my step brother had a very misspent youth stealing cars and now he has reformed into a pretty decent mechanic so I reckon he'll be able to sort it. 

• Like 5
7 hours ago, deftona said:

Black Lace Panel Sleeveless High Low Dress (With images) | Black ...

That looks like the kind of thing Ghostess would wear to work (with a stylish suit jacket to cover the shoulders)  :)

Tupac for me.  This seems more relevant now than ever...

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Xena said:

I love this one. I am a Tupac girl but I do love Biggie too.

4 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

Tupac for me.  This seems more relevant now than ever..

Absolutely. 

2 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

Radio edit.  

Great song but what a weird video

1 hour ago, Salinger said:

I love this one.

• Like 2

Tuesday Update

I don't really remember much about yesterday. I played Assassin's Creed all day and that was fun. I tried to get more clarification from work about how things will be when we open back up as I need this information to make decisions on my safety and whether I return or not but this is not forthcoming. I contacted my union for advice. I'm hoping they get back to me soon but I imagine they're very busy at the moment. 

I made us spaghetti bolognese for dinner because I've been craving it for ages. We spent some time drinking beer in the garden, then watched some of the cooking tv show we're watching. In the evening I bought some books to educate myself on race. Me and My White Supremacy and Why I am No Longer Talking to White People About Race - the latter of which I have been meaning to read forever. There were no physical copies of these available anywhere so I had to go with the Kindle version. I am trying not to give Amazon money because they're evil but it's really really hard isn't it. I read that the author of Why I am No Longer Talking to White People... said of the regular resurgence of the popularity of her book that she hated that she makes money every time a black man loses his life in police custody so I am going to find somewhere to donate. 

I don't know what today will bring. I can't really be bothered with anything. I might crank up Civ. 

• Like 6
3 hours ago, deftona said:

In the evening I bought some books to educate myself on race. Me and My White Supremacy and Why I am No Longer Talking to White People About Race - the latter of which I have been meaning to read forever.

I like this idea and looked up similar books but the one I really want to read (Chokehold: Policing Black Men, Paul Butler) wasn't available so I tried searching for other titles but couldn't find anything I was looking for either.  At one point I searched for Me and White Supremacy using the keywords White Supremacy and that got me blocked from the system.  After searching that term I could no longer look for any books on race relations.  :( 

Amazon sucks

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2
15 minutes ago, WhiteGhost said:

I like this idea and looked up similar books but the one I really want to read (Chokehold: Policing Black Men, Paul Butler) wasn't available so I tried searching for other titles but couldn't find anything I was looking for either.  At one point I searched for Me and White Supremacy using the keywords White Supremacy and that got me blocked from the system.  After searching that term I could no longer look for any books on race relations.  :( 

Amazon sucks

It does kind of suck but I am happy that if you were an actual white supremacist, Amazon intervened. 

Here is the pdf of the book. For those who cannot buy it. I started it today and already it's made me realise a few things. I think every white or white passing person should read it, it's our responsibility to dismantle racism because it's our problem, at it's core. 

ETA - That isn't a full pdf, it's just the intros to the chapters. There are actual tasks to address each topic. Does this link for for you? It's Amazon.co.uk which might be a little less suspicious of you :D 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 minute ago, WhiteGhost said:

The link works but it doesn't do me any good because I can't access it on my kindle (bought in China so it can only access Amazon.cn :( ).  I will start with the PDF while I look for other options 

Well it started as a 28 Day Instagram challenge, then became a free PDF before it was a book so I'd be surprised if you can't find it online at all 

• Like 1