• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

deftona

The QuaranQueen's Garden Party (Now with Community Jukebox!) Deffy #60

I've been wondering about your work. From a post a while back, it sounded like a major problem might be just getting there and back. Even if your employer puts in helpful safeguards, public transportation could still be scary. Would you be able to drive (or can you walk?) or would you have to take public transport?

12 minutes ago, Xena said:

I've been wondering about your work. From a post a while back, it sounded like a major problem might be just getting there and back. Even if your employer puts in helpful safeguards, public transportation could still be scary. Would you be able to drive (or can you walk?) or would you have to take public transport?

I work for a really good company and they will do what they can do protect us. They keep telling me they will follow government guidelines in everything they do as if it's supposed to be reassuring but to me, this is the main problem. We have the highest covid death rate in the world and we weren't supposed to be proceeding to the next stage of lock down until we were in level 3 and yet we're doing it anyway even though we're on level four. Our stats are no better than when we originally locked down. Telling me they're following government advice offers me zero reassurance here. Also people have stopped social distancing, and I don't believe everyone will isolate when asked to by the track and trace service since they are being asked to self isolate for 14 days and a lot of them will only be being paid statutory sick pay which is about £95 a week. Bare in mind the average weekly wage in the UK is just under £600. So if their company isn't going to offer enhanced sick pay that means a pay cut of over £1000 for that two week period, and you might be asked to self isolate a number of times if you have been in contact with a number of people that then get a positive test. A large number of people won't be able to afford to do this. It will spread like wildfire. 

And you're right - the main issue for me is travelling there and back. I can't walk or cycle there (it's about 20 miles each way), so the train is my only option. No matter what my company introduces on their own premises, I still have to sit on a train for an hour a day. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 4

It sucks that things are so hard.  You're doing a good job keeping it together.  I hope that things get better soon.

• Thanks 1

And enter stage right another dress I'm probably going to have to buy

Lace Dress

Today's theme:

Your favourite RIOT GRRRL song

• Like 1

Not only was this a favorite song if mine in its time, but it is very appropriate for my life right now.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, deftona said:

Your favourite RIOT GRRRL song

I was like "LOL I don't even know that band" so like Tank I needed some education

• Like 1

Ooh, can I join??

I hadn’t listened to Sleater-Kinney since I was in college, but your theme sent me down a rabbit hole starting with The Breeders and ending with this:

Bonus:

i couldn’t help it, cuz Kim Deal.

• That's Metal 1

I didn't know what Riot Grrrl was either and so I wikipedia'd it and this extract;

Riot grrrl culture is often associated with third wave feminism, which also grew rapidly during the same early nineties timeframe. The movement of third-wave feminism focused less on laws and the political process and more on individual identity.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Riot_grrrl

Made me think, "oh right it's the Spice Girls!"

***** Must Remember - Facetiousness does not come across on line ******

Anyway, I youtube'd Riot Grrrl playlist and this was spectacularly intense..

8 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

I was unfamiliar with the RIOT GRRRL movement, but Wikipedia remedied that. I like this one:

Bikini Kill are great! 

7 hours ago, Cheetah said:

Not only was this a favorite song if mine in its time, but it is very appropriate for my life right now.

I love this song, and this album was a major part of my adolescence! 

5 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

I was like "LOL I don't even know that band" so like Tank I needed some education

There's a whole genre for you to explore! 

3 hours ago, Salinger said:

I love this one!

3 hours ago, PaulG said:

Ooh, can I join??

I hadn’t listened to Sleater-Kinney since I was in college, but your theme sent me down a rabbit hole starting with The Breeders and ending with this:

Of course you can join! Welcome! I love that song :)

11 minutes ago, Quirky Quinn said:

I didn't know what Riot Grrrl was either and so I wikipedia'd it and this extract;

Riot grrrl culture is often associated with third wave feminism, which also grew rapidly during the same early nineties timeframe. The movement of third-wave feminism focused less on laws and the political process and more on individual identity.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Riot_grrrl

Made me think, "oh right it's the Spice Girls!"

***** Must Remember - Facetiousness does not come across on line ******

Quinn, I am afraid you are under arrest 

Wednesday Update

I couldn't be bothered to do anything yesterday and it was really grey and rainy so I became one with the sofa and a blanket and I read all day. I have five books on at the moment and I just flitted between them all day. It was lovely. My new dress came so I put that on. It's very lovely - it's this one:

lolisa-doll-dress-p13784-877082_image.jp

And it's actually even nicer than it looks as the skirt puffs out more and IT HAS POCKETS. I floated around the house in my new dress for a while, spinning around to make the skirts twirl. Gotta love a twirly skirt. In the evening we had pizza and watched the protests at Downing Street unfold on the news. We were going to watch that cookery programme but when we walked into the conservatory there was a crow hopping around the garden, and when he saw me standing watching him, he ran over to me, flew up onto the window and stayed there for an hour, pecking at the window. We wondered if he was in distress so I put some cat food out for him but he wasn't interested in that, he just wanted to be at the window. I pulled up a chair really close to the window and he just stayed there, pecking the glass and looking at me. Luckily, Sloth is fluent in crow and he helped translate the video I posted on Facebook. So I am going to carry on working on becoming better as the crow suggested.

• Like 6

Today's garden party outfit

50sdressvintage, Swing dress, Shorts, Vintage

I would wear that dress to swan about my house like a marginally less sexually frustrated Betty Draper. 

Today's theme:

Alice in Chains

• Like 3

Alice in Chains is absolutely my favorite band period.  I'm going to have to think for a few minutes about a favorite song.  Let me just say that it's all worth listening to.  Both Dirt and Jar of Flies are masterpiece albums.  

I bought my copy of Facelift after hearing Man in the Box on the radio.  It's an amazing album.  The raw emotion that comes through their music defies description, you just have to hear it and feel it.  This song is one of the best, and it still rips my heart out.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Such a good song

4 hours ago, Snarkyfishguts said:

All dresses should have pockets. 😍

THEY REALLY SHOULD! 

4 hours ago, Cheetah said:

Alice in Chains is absolutely my favorite band period.  I'm going to have to think for a few minutes about a favorite song.  Let me just say that it's all worth listening to.  Both Dirt and Jar of Flies are masterpiece albums.  

I bought my copy of Facelift after hearing Man in the Box on the radio.  It's an amazing album.  The raw emotion that comes through their music defies description, you just have to hear it and feel it.  This song is one of the best, and it still rips my heart out.

Agreed - Dirt, Jar of Flies and Facelift are all fantastic. I love AIC. Definitely up there for me with my favourite bands of all time.

4 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

Another group I am not super familiar with so here's a random selection

After Layne Staley died (the original front man), I think they lost a lot of their magic but they're still better than most other bands. 

• Like 1

Thursday Update

I just played Assassin's Creed all day but it made me feel better so who cares. 

I feel in many ways I should stop coming around here if I am not going to do anything befitting of a person who is a member of a site like this. But then also at the same time I intellectualise it all by trying to remember I am just trying to survive the global shitfest that is 2020. 

• Like 2

Attempt at wittiness:

You are doing all sorts if things befitting a member of NerdFiness(e). Nerdery. Interesting conversations and music. And I am sure there is T(ea) as well.

I have finally become convinced that sticking around here is just good for me. Even if I am not doing smth befitting RIGHT NOW it has been a lot easier for me to bounce back to fitness goals than when I stay away. 

A while back I read someone write somewhere that this site doesn't seem rebellious, or not as rebellious as it was or so, but my experience is so contrary to that... 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, deftona said:

I feel in many ways I should stop coming around here if I am not going to do anything befitting of a person who is a member of a site like this. 

Rubbish!  I know there is at least one other person (besides me) who has been directly inspired by this thread to become more educated about race relations and I have learned just today that Alice in Chains creates music that I enjoy, something I previously would not have guessed.  And that is just this week alone!

What more could you possibly be doing befitting a member of the site?  Burpees?  I mean, seriously!

Besides which, you updates are interesting to me, at least, even if you don't find it so.  I would certainly miss your daily updates, even if they were no more than just describing what you are doing in AC

In other news, do have any ETA on that new computer?  Our next sesh is tonight

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1