• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

WhiteGhost

WhiteGhost Sticks to the Plan

KEEP CALM AND STICK TO THE PLAN - Keep Calm and Posters Generator ...

So, my life is pretty good right now.  I can't say I am really struggling with anything in particular and overall my level of happiness is generally above average.  However, I don't want to waste a perfectly good challenge, so I am going to try and see if I can optimize a little bit and at least be somewhat productive.  Because I can probably do a little bit better.

I have identified 5 areas I want to improve in, and hopefully by the end of this challenge I will have seen some kind of improvement compared to where I am right now.

1.  Ninja Skills - I have been working on calisthenics skills off and on for the last couple of years, and have made some serious progress on a few of them and much less progress on others.  I am going to use this challenge to see if I can continue to improve.  This isn't really something that has great objective measurements of improvement, so I will continue my video comparisons from last challenge. 

For reference my initial skill assessment is here

and my second one is here

I will do another at the end of this challenge to see how I compare after another challenge of working on them.

Ninja skills will be broken into aerial and ground and I want to try and get 2 sessions of each, with 2 leg sessions to round it all out.

2.  Flexibility - OK, this isn't so much actual flexibility as it is ROM conditioning through the MyFlex program.  I bought this program a while ago and am not using it very well.  I am going to start using this as a warmup for my regular workouts and see if that a) gets me using it more regularly and b) actually helps me with end ROM stability/strength.  I suspect it will so let's see if that hypothesis plays out.  Maybe I will actually increase my total ROM as well, but that will just be an added benefit

MyFlex has 4 modules so I want to get one of each session in every week.  

3.   Cardiovascular Endurance -  I used be pretty good at running and enjoyed it.  That was a LONG time ago (the 1990s to be specific).  I have since declined but I would actually like to see if I can keep this from completely slipping away.  Last year I was able to run 5k in under 30 minutes without any problems, but ever since the quarantine started I have not been able to do that.  My goal for this challenge is to get so that I can once again run 5k (on a treadmill) in under 30 minutes.

30-60 minutes on the treadmill every day after lunch

4.  Electives - This is a broad category and involves a bunch of things that I want to do but have consistently struggled with doing.  This challenge I am actually going to add another category but see if actually scheduling these into my daily calendar helps me to make it happen.  My personal development categories are Art (sketching), Music (Ukulele), and Language (a bunch)

3 uke sessions and 3 sketching sessions every week, alternating days.  Languages will have one session each day of ASL, Spanish, Russian, Korean, Japanese and Chinese.

5.  Socializing - This is a 2 part thing, the first is about keeping regular contact with my family and the other is about my new social circles here on NF, specifically my D&D parties.  I am part of 3 campaigns right now, although one may be finished before zero week ends.  I may be part of another one starting up (fingers crossed), though, so that will make up for it.

No fixed minimum but try to reach out to at least 5 family members each week.  Write-up summary for each D&D session

OK, wow, that is a lot to be doing, but I think it is actually really doable if I can stick to the plan.  

Conceptual hand writing showing Stick To The Plan. Business photo ...

So let's talk about the plan for a minute

I find that my biggest hurdle keeping me from doing things is I don't have any actual plan for doing them.  So what I have done is come up with a daily schedule that sets out when I should be doing a certain thing.  This schedule is completely flexible so if I don't do a thing because I have something else that came up in place of it, no problem.  The problem comes when if I have free time and have to ask myself what to do

Bored David Boreanaz GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY

So here's the plan:

Mon-Sat I will start the day with a MyFlex module followed by a skill workout and then some kind of met-con.  After that I will do some language practice until lunch and then get on the treadmill after lunch for 30-60 minutes, followed by a rest period.

After the break, I will do either art or music for an hour and then start making dinner.  After dinner I will have some time dedicated to playing some kind of game with Ghostlet and then after he goes to bed I will have free time to get on the Xbox or whatever.

Sundays will be a rest day so I don't need to do any of these things (although I can if I feel like it) but I want to make sure I get a couple hours of reading in.  

All that's left is just to stick to the plan

Plan Your Day Stick Poster Flat Stock Vector (Royalty Free) 1047237484

• Like 15
  • Wow 2

Nice plan! Glad to see you're still plugging away, and that the quarantine hasn't left you too worse for wear. Following!

I've never seen that MyFlex thing before. Have you heard good things?

18 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

I find that my biggest hurdle keeping me from doing things is I don't have any actual plan for doing them.  So what I have done is come up with a daily schedule that sets out when I should be doing a certain thing.  This schedule is completely flexible so if I don't do a thing because I have something else that came up in place of it, no problem.  The problem comes when if I have free time and have to ask myself what to do

Sounds like a good plan...

Following!

12 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Here to stick to you for support.

From a safe distance, I presume :P

10 hours ago, loire said:

The plan, THE PLAAAAAN!  (Or was that plane?)

Hehehe~

Look boss, ze plane! 

Watching Fantasy Island is not part of The Plan

3 hours ago, PaulG said:

Nice plan! Glad to see you're still plugging away, and that the quarantine hasn't left you too worse for wear. Following!

I've never seen that MyFlex thing before. Have you heard good things?

I'm still far from my peak but certainly doing much better than I was a few months ago during the peak quarantine period here

MyFlex is a program done by Jen Crane (aka Cirquephysio) who is both a circus artist and a physiotherapist.  I heard about the program from @Mad Hatter and decided to get it for 2 reasons: 1) it is personlaized for each person based on submitted assessments so I know that what I am working on is appropriate for me and 2) it isn't primarily designed for flexibility but for strength in end ROMs which is more important for me.  being flexible is nice, but getting injured when trying to do strenuous activities at the very end of my ROM is a very real problem.  I am hoping this will help with that but I have to, you know, actually do it.

2 hours ago, Red1263 said:

The Dark Knight - It's All Part Of The Plan GIF by MikeyMo | Gfycat

I'm also here to offer my support!

Wait, don't spill the secret parts of the plan!  

Your support is appreciated!

23 minutes ago, zenLara said:

Sounds like a good plan...

Following!

Welcome!

I suppose I should identify a few things that are NOT art of the plan

1. Tracking.  I have a plan and will try to stick to it, but I don't really care how well I do so much as just having the plan there as a guideline

Barbossa Guidelines GIF | Gfycat

2. Daily recording of each category.  I will try to post every day but I really don't like trying to format according to my stated goals.  I much prefer the daily journal entry type of entry, so expect to see that.

3. Negativity.  I may complain every once in a while if I feel it is justified, but we all have enough of that already and

Aint Nobody Got Time GIFs | Tenor

• Like 6

Sticking myself in there :D

Nice skin the cat at the end of the back lever, and nice push on the shoulder stand on pbars, it's higher that it used to be, no?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, deftona said:

Here to be jealous of your gymnastic skillz. 

I'm glad I'm not the only one.

• Like 1

I'm all for the journal type entries :) (and the Cat Tax :D )

Awesome progress! Looking forward to seeing you strive to push it further :)

Some motivational hip hop, (including running motivation): 🎶

Spoiler

And some running motivation from the same artist :)

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

C.Diff 

terrifying

edit: oh, and here. As much as I'm anywhere these days. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

MyFlex is a program done by Jen Crane (aka Cirquephysio) who is both a circus artist and a physiotherapist.  I heard about the program from @Mad Hatter and decided to get it for 2 reasons: 1) it is personlaized for each person based on submitted assessments so I know that what I am working on is appropriate for me and 2) it isn't primarily designed for flexibility but for strength in end ROMs which is more important for me.  being flexible is nice, but getting injured when trying to do strenuous activities at the very end of my ROM is a very real problem.  I am hoping this will help with that but I have to, you know, actually do it.

Damn! Sounds like a good plan. I’ll be interested to see how it goes, I’m slumming it over here with an old GMB program. You may just convince me to pony up some real cash next challenge. :D

• Like 1

19 hours ago, @mu said:

Sticking myself in there :D

Nice skin the cat at the end of the back lever, and nice push on the shoulder stand on pbars, it's higher that it used to be, no?

Welcome!  As for the shoulderstand press, I don't know if it is actually higher than befoe but it feels stronger, which is something.  I think this is going to take a Loooooooong time, but I am working this HSPU from both sides, doing partial reps from the top and partial reps from the bottom, hoping that someday I will be able to pass midpoint both ways and thus be able to do a controlled HSPU

18 hours ago, deftona said:

Here to be jealous of your gymnastic skillz. 

I am not going to ever win any awards with sexy dance stuff, so I gotta have something ;) 

16 hours ago, zenLara said:

I'm glad I'm not the only one.

These things are really great do work on together with kids.  Just saying... :D  

15 hours ago, analoggirl said:

I'm all for the journal type entries :) (and the Cat Tax :D )

Awesome progress! Looking forward to seeing you strive to push it further :)

Some motivational hip hop, (including running motivation): 🎶

Reveal hidden contents

well, no cat tax today because Wraith wouldn't cooperate in front of the camera, but it will show up at times throughout this challenge :) 

15 hours ago, KB Girl said:

It’s actually kinda weird isn’t it? We’re just here reading each other’s journals 😂

I always struggled to keep a journal because I figured "what's the point, no could ever read my handwriting anyway" (I grew up in a time when electronic devices weren't everywhere and if we wanted to write something the options were pencil or pen).

Now that I have an audience, I feel much more interested to wrote about the random crap that goes on during my days :) 

11 hours ago, starsapart said:

I AM HERE FOR THE PLAN.

Also here for Russian practice if you want. 😏

And D&D socializing!

I will probably hit you up for some Russian stuff once I figure out exactly how I am going to approach it.  If I can get my IME working I will go with Duolingo, otherwise I will need a different plan 

D&D updates will be here for sure

11 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

I'm a hospital chaplain. I ain't scared of nuthin but C.Diff and Bedbugs.

The thing that scares me the most? sever ocular trauma 😮 

When I was a kid, we were playing a game where you try to describe the absolute worst situation you could find yourself in and one kind said

Spoiler

"You are sliding off the roof a of a house and right as you are going over the edge you catch you eyelid on a nail".

That has stuck with me for my whole like and I have yet to come up with anything worse

10 hours ago, sylph said:

terrifying

edit: oh, and here. As much as I'm anywhere these days. 

Welcome, I guess here's as good a place to be as any right now 

4 hours ago, Scalyfreak said:

giphy.gif

You know, I actually thought this same thing when I wrote that and almost went back and edited it, but just couldn't be bothered.  I suppose Fantasy Island CAN be part of the plan  

3 hours ago, PaulG said:

Damn! Sounds like a good plan. I’ll be interested to see how it goes, I’m slumming it over here with an old GMB program. You may just convince me to pony up some real cash next challenge. :D

GMB Focused Flexibility was the first program I ever bought but I just couldn't get it to work for me.  As I was going through the stretches, I could generally get into the stretch as described but I wasn't feeling the stretches where they said I should be and I didn't now why so I just kind of gave up.

Stick To The Plan | Don Diva Magazine

Monday

OK, challenge day one here we go

Yesterday went pretty much exactly to plan

I started out in the morning doing the Hip Extension module for MyFlex and followed that up with a regular workout session focusing on levers, L-Sits, Planches and other stuff that needs the pullup tower.  I finished that off with the Darebee WOD, which was way too easy so I supplemented it with dumbbells.

While Ghostess was making lunch I worked on the ASL video challenge from @Red1263.  I got the first verse down pretty well, but if we are going to be learning a song/week, I am not going to make it. If we have 1 song for the challenge, I can probably keep up.  For reference, this is the song we are working on

After lunch I washed the dishes and then got on the treadmill and half walked, half ran (ok, actually about 2/3 walk, 1/3 ran) on the treadmill for an hour and then got showered up and rested.  

After that, I got out my uke and worked on some new songs for about 45 minutes and I was quite happy with how that went.

Yesterday was still part of our May Day holiday here so Ghostess was off work and she made dinner, meaning I had some free time in the evening which I filled by playing Skyrim.  After dinner I played some name-tag ripping with Ghostlet until our stuff fell apart (who knew that attaching velco to clothes with a stapler wouldn't hold up very well???) and then he got on his phone to play with his friends and I got back on Skyrim until bedtime.

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, WhiteGhost said:

The thing that scares me the most? sever ocular trauma 😮 

I meant in terms of things you can catch. We aren't a trauma hospital so I don't see much of the physical injuries.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, WhiteGhost said:

When I was a kid, we were playing a game where you try to describe the absolute worst situation you could find yourself in and one kind said

Reveal hidden contents

"You are sliding off the roof a of a house and right as you are going over the edge you catch you eyelid on a nail".

I was here for the flexibility... but I’m staying for the morbidity

• Haha 5

8 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

then got on the treadmill and half walked, half ran (ok, actually about 2/3 walk, 1/3 ran) on the treadmill for an hour and then got showered up and rested.  

That’s awesome. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

I am not going to ever win any awards with sexy dance stuff, so I gotta have something ;) 

Are you sure about that? 

I always struggled to keep a journal because I figured "what's the point, no could ever read my handwriting anyway"

Same! 🤣

Spoiler

Sure it's bad, but I feel like this is not the end of the story. I mean the eyelid would just quickly rip and you'd keep falling but what if you'd then fall into say a puddle of giant zombie leeches?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

These things are really great do work on together with kids.  Just saying... :D  

Well, she's already got the gist of being upside down...

12 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

where you try to describe the absolute worst situation you could find yourself in and one kind said

No wonder that stayed with you 🙀

• Like 1

Ooooh what are you using to study ASL? While I’m jealous of your physical abilities I’m much more jealous of all the languages. 

• Like 2