• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

h3r0

Summer (h3r0) is Coming 

nick-sinclair-buckaroofront-a-web.thumb.jpg.a47746e8644c4938a5ba7857ef143c61.jpg

Hiro, hero for hire. Ruthless, intelligent, efficient. You have an impossible problem, then he's the man to call. Slim, trim, cocky grin, completely self contained and self assured.

He stays in peak physical condition through training and daily activity. His body looks like it was carved out of wood, strong and capable, lean and hard, without bulk, but flexible and defined.

He has more than enough energy to run, jump, and play all day, with energy to burn, never stopping and never quitting until he is done.

He has a warrior heart. Being a Warrior is standing up for you and yours. It is being willing to fight even when you know that you are going to lose. A warrior protects, a warrior stands up for what is right, and pray you never find yourself on the wrong side against him. 

------------------------------

MAY CHALLENGE

1281507927_c5e5af076bdb191ce9f8137d97f79c7c2.jpg.ccd9d8e9d46a885b6ccd6125a65b1295.jpg

Summer is coming. 

I have spent most of the last year working on strength and hypertrophy. It is time to hit the rest button and do some functional training, conditioning, and strip off some body fat and see what I have been building. 

A new challenge. 

Starting weight: 200 lbs 

#1 Training 

KB Core 3 Days a week:
Swings, Goblet Squats, and presses

PT 2 Days a week:
Get ups and loaded carries 

I'm worried that I will get bored with this but let's see how it goes. 

#2 Mobility 

My mobility sucks. My hips are stiff and I move around like the old man I am. Let's focus on getting the hips open first. 

90/90 stretch 
Pigeon pose 

Do these every single day. 

howsummerand.jpg.3f9bfe89dfcb5d7d1da08135bde5340f.jpg

#3 Diet 

Not going crazy here. Going to let the metabolic workouts do most of the heavy lifting for body composition. Target a slight calorie deficit, limit alcohol to a maximum of two, and focus on supplemental zinc, magnesium, vitamin C. 

I have been doing well with a high protein, no carb breakfast and a slow carb lunch. With snacks being nuts or peanut butter instead of chips or crackers. Dinner is what I want to adjust. I tend to over eat at dinner so will target a single plate full instead of 2.5 plates. 

71q6TuEIFYL.thumb.jpg.3cb4064228733a021609a4e422ae4ec3.jpg

#4 Mental Health 

Mental health is now more important than ever. I need to remember to be grateful for what I have, to savor the small joys, to kiss my wife and hug my children, to not let my frustrations turn me into a grumpy asshole while we are all locked in together. 

Where attention goes, energy flows. To copy the birds from Huxley's The Island, I will set a reminder on my phone to chime twice a day with Karuna. It will be my trigger to pause and do this. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

If you get bored, learn to snatch and join the ongoing debate as to how to do them.

Grab the bell. Put it over your head. Repeat. 

• Like 1

Attach59234_20200503_130458.thumb.jpg.6e91839c7386c876dac767ae8d3d837b.jpg

Went rucking, but only got in 2-3 miles. It was really nice and empty at first but started seeing more and more people on the trails so I called it a day and went back home. There was plenty of space to distance but it was giving me anxiety and I couldn't enjoy it. 

Setup my karuna reminders on my phone and will get my stretches in tonight while I watch TV. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

If you get bored, learn to snatch and join the ongoing debate as to how to do them.

Hmmm. This seems a reasonable goal. Stealing for my challenge. Except, you know, with a barbell. Because that is the only proper way to do a snatch.

• Like 5
  • Haha 4

5 minutes ago, bigm141414 said:

Hmmm. This seems a reasonable goal. Stealing for my challenge. Except, you know, with a barbell. Because that is the only proper way to do a snatch.

954655817_tenor(6).gif.2088f9a501240344a1fa61ac1df50647.gif

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

0a5f5f2d829359416ec3ec2b49e6c9cf.jpg.95179a4d4a8263bc69cb7042b9e83410.jpg

KB Core

Hip lifts 

Prying Goblet Squats 

Halos 

7x10 Swings

1/2/3/4/5/6/7 Goblet Squats 

1/2/3/4/5/6/7 Press

Low back stretch 

Figure 4 

90/90

Pigeon pose 

Hip flexor lunge 

Upright dog

Good quick training session. I could probably have started with 10 sets but I thought I'd ease into by adding a set a week. We'll see. 

• Like 4

19 hours ago, h3r0 said:

Grab the bell. Put it over your head. Repeat. 

Sounds like an OHP, though.

Good idea doing pigeon pose. Those hips always get tight, right? And good idea to remind yourself of the mental health stuff. 

How do you do the calorie deficit? Do you just track everything with MFP or similar?

4 minutes ago, Harriet said:

How do you do the calorie deficit? Do you just track everything with MFP or similar?

I eat pretty much the same thing every day. So if I want to reduce, I cut out snacks. If I want to bulk I add more snacks. 

• Like 1

On 5/3/2020 at 10:26 AM, h3r0 said:

Mental health is now more important than ever. I need to remember to be grateful for what I have, to savor the small joys, to kiss my wife and hug my children, to not let my frustrations turn me into a grumpy asshole while we are all locked in together. 

I hope that one thing we all take away from these strange times, once they are over, is a rediscovered appreciation for those small joys, and for the most important people in our lives. And hopefully, being stuck together with little to no social interaction from anyone else, has taught us to appreciate each other more, and to not take someone's unconditional support for granted.

It's okay to be a grumpy asshole every now and then, as long as it's brief, and as long as you don't take it out on those important people who are offering unconditional support.

• Like 2

1934935922_images(7).jpeg.d847f39709d9bb7a82be956724d68fff.jpeg

PT 

5x5 Bench Press 105/120/140/120/105# 

2 Get Ups per side

3x20' suitcase carry 

1x20' Racked Carry 

90/90

Pigeon pose 

Quick training session. Still keeping up with the daily walks. Nothing crazy, just a mile loop around the neighborhood. 

• Like 2

2nmrnv.jpg.4a55cc9c6731dd1f40e4350b9e583fec.jpg

KB Core 

Jump Rope 

7x10 Swings 

1/2/3/4/5/6/7 Goblet Squats 

1/2/3/4/5/6/7 Press 

Low back stretch 

Figure 4 

90 /90 

Pigeon pose 

Upward dog 

I got up late so it was a super quick training session. Already starting to feel easy. 

• Like 5

Been keeping up the after dinner walks with the family from the last challenge. Hoping to keep this whenever things finally go back to normal. 

Cut my hair tonight for the second time. I did a much better job this time, not nearly as gappy. I took my time and didn't get aggressive, just shaped up what I had. Not barber quality, but doesn't scream home cut unless you are really looking closely. 

Hooked up the PS2 and started a fresh game of Persona 4. I don't have a huge amount of time to invest in it but thinking I will be WFH for another month. 

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, h3r0 said:

Hooked up the PS2 and started a fresh game of Persona 4. I don't have a huge amount of time to invest in it but thinking I will be WFH for another month. 

I fully and 100% support this. Persona 4 is a phenomenal game, and Chie is still one of the best NPCs ever.

I haven't worked out in the past three days. I intended to and set a alarm but I either slept through it or turned it off. Am I over trained or under slept, I don't know. 

I am feeling anxious, crazy, and on edge. Again I'm unsure if that is because I haven't exercised or that is the reason I haven't exercised. Just on edge and can't seem to come down. I've tried to relax by keeping myself busy with housework, cooking, reading, video games, or watching a movie but can't really get into anything. 

I'm going to give it another go. See if I can rescue Yukiko from the castle in persona, grill some hamburgers this evening, then try and get up and work out. 

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, h3r0 said:

I haven't worked out in the past three days. I intended to and set a alarm but I either slept through it or turned it off. Am I over trained or under slept, I don't know. 

I am feeling anxious, crazy, and on edge. Again I'm unsure if that is because I haven't exercised or that is the reason I haven't exercised. Just on edge and can't seem to come down. I've tried to relax by keeping myself busy with housework, cooking, reading, video games, or watching a movie but can't really get into anything. 

I'm going to give it another go. See if I can rescue Yukiko from the castle in persona, grill some hamburgers this evening, then try and get up and work out. 

Not exercising would drive anyone crazy. Can you lower the difficulty level until doing exercise seems doable? Anything is better than nothing.

• Like 1

AdobeStock_79469067-e1535126063445.thumb.jpeg.be133ed0e6070a64ab391997459f9550.jpeg

Bare Minimum 

5x10 Swings 

5x5 Goblet Squats 

5x5 Presses

2x5 Bench Press 115# 

Low back stretch 

Figure 4 

90 /90 

Pigeon pose 

Just a easy practice session today, not really training. After four days I just needed to move around and do something. I will probably do it again tomorrow. I just feel like all my strength has been sucked out of me and I have woken up with high blood sugar every day here lately. I could be getting sick but I don't think so, most likely mental / emotional. 

I am still on edge. I am sitting here writing this totally tense. I should be chill, I have no reason not to be, but here I am in complete fight or flight mode. I might try meditating today. It's really not my thing but I got to do something to come down a bit. 

My wife thinks I am being overly cautious about the virus. That I refuse to go out anywhere and manic about bleaching anything that comes into the house. I think I am just being sensible. Yes I am taking it to a high level but whenever she tries to talk me into taking the kids on a day trip to the beach I don't react but inside I feel nothing but panic. Yes my anxiety is feeding into my virus precautions and yes that feeds back into my anxiety. It's a feedback loop. But where is the line between sensible precautions and Howard Hughes wearing kleenex boxes as shoes?

• Like 3

2 hours ago, h3r0 said:

but here I am in complete fight or flight mode.

That sucks. Idk what else to say, although I'd like to say more.

2 hours ago, h3r0 said:

I might try meditating today. It's really not my thing but I got to do something to come down a bit. 

There are many different types of meditations... For things like anger, anxious feelings, stuff like that, I prefer "moving" meditations. Sort of the idea of the yoga "elephant ears" or rocking back and forth. Also, lying down and TENSING each limb/body part as much as you possibly can and then "letting go" with an out breath. Just sharing in case it works for you.

2 hours ago, h3r0 said:

But where is the line between sensible precautions and Howard Hughes wearing kleenex boxes as shoes?

Well... If that wasn't rhetorical, humans have lots of things that seem out of the ordinary. For example, let's take lawyers because that's close to me, the running joke on Reddit is that we "have monetised our neurosis" lol. The moment that neurosis becomes unhealthy is when it starts getting in the way of having healthy relationships because we nit pick about every single little thing and don't let the other person feel safe expressing their feelings.

I'm a mild germophobe, and in daily life I really have to close my eyes for some things to be able to not make everyone look at me funny. I have mastered nonchalantly touching door knobs with my elbows/feet haha. This crisis has actually been great for that part of me because it went "FINALLY! People are learning you can cough in your elbow!" :D

I've had moments - on days with lots of grocery shopping - that I just wanted to throw all the groceries next to the door, throw away my clothes, wash and disinfect my hands, and take a scorching hot shower and scrub everything off before going back to disinfect the groceries. 

For what my opinion is worth, I think the sensible line is here, where these tendencies are leading to you getting stuck in fight or flight mode. Where you aren't weighing in the psychological DMG that staying between 4 walls is doing heavier (as in, acknowledging it can also have very severe consequences) and - if I may be so direct - seem to have tunnel vision and are unable to see ways that can balance it all.

It's easy for me to say from the side lines. I know. I'm just offering a potentially helpful perspective. It's definitely sensible to take precautions, and the line seems very thin in such situations.

Hope moving again gets at least some of that energy out of your system. Much strength!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, h3r0 said:

My wife thinks I am being overly cautious about the virus. That I refuse to go out anywhere and manic about bleaching anything that comes into the house. I think I am just being sensible. Yes I am taking it to a high level but whenever she tries to talk me into taking the kids on a day trip to the beach I don't react but inside I feel nothing but panic. Yes my anxiety is feeding into my virus precautions and yes that feeds back into my anxiety. It's a feedback loop. But where is the line between sensible precautions and Howard Hughes wearing kleenex boxes as shoes?

I can tell you where the line is for us in my household, but that's unfortunately not going to help you.

We had this discussion in our household right before the governor of our state issued the Stay At Home order, and it was partially ugly, partially painful, but mostly really good to get our respective perspectives and view points out in the open.

You might need to sit down together, when you both are calm and feeling good, and listen to each other's concerns, while expressing your own as clearly and respectfully as possible, and talk until you come to an agreement on where the line is. Your feedback loop is probably not going to get any better or easier to deal with, especially not if you live in a state that is starting to open back up for business. Ours is, and ours is also filled with people who think masks and proper social distancing is for morons who want the government to dictate every step of their lives, so as more and more people are starting to leave their homes, it is becoming increasingly stressful for us to do so.

7 minutes ago, analoggirl said:

I'm a mild germophobe, and in daily life I really have to close my eyes for some things to be able to not make everyone look at me funny. I have mastered nonchalantly touching door knobs with my elbows/feet haha. This crisis has actually been great for that part of me because it went "FINALLY! People are learning you can cough in your elbow!" :D

Seriously. I mean.... SERIOUSLY. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, h3r0 said:

I am still on edge. I am sitting here writing this totally tense. I should be chill, I have no reason not to be, but here I am in complete fight or flight mode. I might try meditating today. It's really not my thing but I got to do something to come down a bit. 

You really should. Meditation and CBT are boring but they do work, if you do them regularly. 

3 hours ago, h3r0 said:

It kinda depends where you're at? New York is not Berkeley... At the moment, the states for my county are that one in 10,000 people has a confirmed case, but the testing is so bad that real cases could be ten times that much... so, say 1 in 1000. But they don't all have it at the same time. And transmission is more likely to be from spending time together in enclosed spaces than from anything else. So... it's a risk... but things will probably be okay until we reopen.

Can you compartmentalise a bit? Do the actions that make you safer without dwelling too much on the dangerous reason for doing them? I try to do the same thing with my totally-not-irrational fear of men. I also avoid reading the news or watching shows that are continually trying to make me remember and think about it.

And are you at least getting out for walks? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, analoggirl said:

There are many different types of meditations... For things like anger, anxious feelings, stuff like that, I prefer "moving" meditations. Sort of the idea of the yoga "elephant ears" or rocking back and forth. Also, lying down and TENSING each limb/body part as much as you possibly can and then "letting go" with an out breath. Just sharing in case it works for you.

Thanks, I will try these out. I was just thinking of trying out a app or a guided meditation on YouTube this afternoon but this is another option as well. 

I've had moments - on days with lots of grocery shopping - that I just wanted to throw all the groceries next to the door, throw away my clothes, wash and disinfect my hands, and take a scorching hot shower and scrub everything off before going back to disinfect the groceries. 

Same 😁

For what my opinion is worth, I think the sensible line is here, where these tendencies are leading to you getting stuck in fight or flight mode. Where you aren't weighing in the psychological DMG that staying between 4 walls is doing heavier (as in, acknowledging it can also have very severe consequences) and - if I may be so direct - seem to have tunnel vision and are unable to see ways that can balance it all.

Yes this is a big part of it. I am locked into the bomb shelter mentality and yes that has a mental / emotional toll but I ignore / pretend it doesn't exist because I am more afraid of going out. The fights with my wife are about that she is pushing some middle ground between total lock down and total DGAF let's lick handrails.

As @Scalyfreak said I need to figure out where that line is but right now anything more than where I am right now is a challenge.

1 hour ago, Harriet said:

It kinda depends where you're at? 

Restaurants are closed to inside dining but everything else is open. Masks are not mandatory so only 25% of the people out are wearing them. And the state opened up the beaches so I am seeing a lot of out of town and out of state tags as people come to go to the beach and shop at the grocery store since you can't go out to eat. 

1 hour ago, Harriet said:

Can you compartmentalise a bit? Do the actions that make you safer without dwelling too much on the dangerous reason for doing them? I try to do the same thing with my totally-not-irrational fear of men. I also avoid reading the news or watching shows that are continually trying to make me remember and think about it.

And are you at least getting out for walks? 

Umm probably. I haven't tried it but worth a shot. And yes, still getting the daily walks in. I enjoy the sunshine but I am tense the whole time on the walk but I still do it and even look forward to it. 

Sorry to whine about it. Everyone else is going through the same thing. I'm just tired of being a nervous wreck all the time and I just can't seem to catch my breath and relax. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, h3r0 said:

Sorry to whine about it. Everyone else is going through the same thing.

Do not apologize for being stressed.

Do not apologize for feeling anxious. 

The stress of others does not in any way make your stress less valid, or less exhausting, and you have just as much right to suffer from this situation as everyone else does.

This is not quantifiable. The extent of our suffering is not relevant to yours.

Just so you know. :) 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1