kettlebell-reviews-2019-hero-640x350.jpg.0c88218cebcd29d58243bdce49841b19.jpg

Training Minimum 

Jump Rope 

10x10 KB Swings 

2x5 Bench Press 120/130# 

Low back stretch 

90/90

Pigeon pose 

I wasn't really feeling anything at 5 sets so I kept going. The swings are getting much easier but the bench is not getting lighter. Also I need to dial back my diet some. My go to snack lately has been PBJs and mixed nuts. Very calorie dense. 

• Like 4

LEVEL 4 - Half Elf - Sword Assassin

STR: 9          DEX: 4          CON: 8          INT: 6          CHA: 7

SKILLS: Swordsman 

EQUIPMENT: Padded Armor, Wooden Sword 

BADGES: Stormrider

ketbell.jpg.2409126032d7fe98f880615b8ce6f844.jpg

Training Day 

5 Half TGU 

3x5 Dead Stop Clean & Press

Low back stretch 

90/99

Pigeon pose 

Upward dog 

I'm sore from yesterday and sleep is disrupted from surgery recovery. I went really slow on the get ups focusing on technique. I enjoyed the C&P but can only seem to clean correctly from a dead stop. If I try to swing it then I start banging on the arm. Not sure what I am doing wrong but something to work on. 

Grip is part of it. Handle getting slick even though it is powder coated. I guess I need to invest in some chalk. Who here uses it? 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, h3r0 said:

I'm sore from yesterday and sleep is disrupted from surgery recovery. I went really slow on the get ups focusing on technique. I enjoyed the C&P but can only seem to clean correctly from a dead stop. If I try to swing it then I start banging on the arm. Not sure what I am doing wrong but something to work on. 

Grip is part of it. Handle getting slick even though it is powder coated. I guess I need to invest in some chalk. Who here uses it? 

I've used liquid chalk for deadlifts only. Never used real chalk because it's banned in my gym... my ex-gym, anyway. I haven't needed it for KBs but maybe I'm not working as hard as you.

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

You can absorb me! - Harriet the Contextless Guru

3 hours ago, h3r0 said:

Liquid chalk is a lot less messy, and easier to work with, including easy to wash off with soap. I used it for deadlifts and pullups before they closed down the gyms. I bought this brand from Amazon

• Thanks 1

The Great Reading Thread of 2024

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37; Ch 38; Ch 39; Ch 40; Intermission V; Ch 41; Ch 42; Ch 43; Ch 44; Ch 45; Ch 46; Ch 47; Intermission VI; Ch 48; Ch 49

27 minutes ago, Harriet said:

I've used liquid chalk for deadlifts only. Never used real chalk because it's banned in my gym... my ex-gym, anyway. I haven't needed it for KBs but maybe I'm not working as hard as you.

Doubtful, I'm probably just a gross greasy sweaty mess. 😂

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Scalyfreak said:

Liquid chalk is a lot less messy, and easier to work with, including easy to wash off with soap. I used it for deadlifts and pullups before they closed down the gyms. I bought this brand from Amazon

Thanks, I'll check it out. I've never heard of liquid chalk before 

5 minutes ago, h3r0 said:

Thanks, I'll check it out. I've never heard of liquid chalk before 

I learned about it from @Harriet and @Grumble when I complained about hand sweat sabotaging my deadlift progress. Now I swear by it because holy moly does it make a difference

• Like 2

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37; Ch 38; Ch 39; Ch 40; Intermission V; Ch 41; Ch 42; Ch 43; Ch 44; Ch 45; Ch 46; Ch 47; Intermission VI; Ch 48; Ch 49

I go through several boxes of chalk a month in my gym 🤷‍♀️
Can’t kettlebell without it. In fact if the training is serious then not only the hands get chalked but the bell handles also get several layers. 
The powdered stuff is more effective, but the liquid is decent enough and indeed a lot less messy. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

KB Quest: becoming a decent kettlebell lifter and an excellent coach

2023 goals tracker; cycling: 1047,7/5000km & reading to my kids: 58/365 days (updated may 1st)

my instagram - my gym's instagram

Just now, KB Girl said:

The powdered stuff is more effective, but the liquid is decent enough and indeed a lot less messy. 

Not to mention, actually permitted in my commercial gym ;) 

kettlebell2.jpg.8ab75368642d76772b5552bfb33ca6f3.jpg

Training Day 

Jump Rope 

6x10 KB Swings 

6x10 Goblet Squats 

Low back stretch 

Twists 

90 /90 

Pigeon pose 

Upward dog 

Exhausting workout. My blood sugar has been crazy high for no reason the last couple of days. This happens maybe once a year or so usually with no rhyme or reason unless I am sick. I will bring it down with insulin but it will go right back up without having eaten anything. 

I cut all carbs in order to starve my liver and empty it of any stored glucose. It usually takes three days to empty it out and then I can slowly introduce carbs back in. Today is day 3 so hopefully it will stay under control today. 

• Like 4

19 hours ago, h3r0 said:

kettlebell2.jpg.8ab75368642d76772b5552bfb33ca6f3.jpg

Training Day 

Jump Rope 

6x10 KB Swings 

6x10 Goblet Squats 

Low back stretch 

Twists 

90 /90 

Pigeon pose 

Upward dog 

Exhausting workout. My blood sugar has been crazy high for no reason the last couple of days. This happens maybe once a year or so usually with no rhyme or reason unless I am sick. I will bring it down with insulin but it will go right back up without having eaten anything. 

I cut all carbs in order to starve my liver and empty it of any stored glucose. It usually takes three days to empty it out and then I can slowly introduce carbs back in. Today is day 3 so hopefully it will stay under control today. 

Hope you get it back under control.

My wife is type1 and sometimes despite all the control in the world things still go a little off the rails!  Sometimes stress has an impact and sometimes there is no rhyme or reason.

• Like 1

thumb_itsall-about-the-kettlebells-baby-fitnesscultchronicle-on-twitter-gotta-love-52103542.png.8371bfa3a2e5d4db99bcb11bcc8699ae.png

Training Day 

Jump Rope 

Halos 

5 Half TGU 

3x5 Dead Stop Clean and Press

1x20' Suitcase Carry 

Low back stretch 

Twists 

90 /90 

Pigeon pose 

Upward dog 

I feel so good today. Sugar is back down to normal and I honestly feel better than I did when it was level. I think it might be the low carb diet I have been doing. Even though I am back to normal I may have to stay on this a little bit longer and experiment. 

Great workout today. For the first time the get ups felt not awkward. I still haven't mastered the clean but it was good practice. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, h3r0 said:

I feel so good today. Sugar is back down to normal and I honestly feel better than I did when it was level. I think it might be the low carb diet I have been doing. Even though I am back to normal I may have to stay on this a little bit longer and experiment. 

Great workout today. For the first time the get ups felt not awkward. I still haven't mastered the clean but it was good practice. 

Oh, it's great that your sugar is normal again.  

I have tried the get ups but I find it hard to, well, get up without some momentum. Not sure what part of me is the weak point--probably abs?

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

34 minutes ago, Harriet said:

I have tried the get ups but I find it hard to, well, get up without some momentum. Not sure what part of me is the weak point--probably abs?

Should be driving through your foot. Think about rolling yourself onto your elbow with your one foot. Your abs and arm stay tight to support the weight so it doesn't fall on your head. Does that make sense? 

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, h3r0 said:

Should be driving through your foot. Think about rolling yourself onto your elbow with your one foot. Your abs and arm stay tight to support the weight so it doesn't fall on your head. Does that make sense? 

Maybe? I'll give it a try, thanks. 

1 hour ago, h3r0 said:

Your abs and arm stay tight to support the weight so it doesn't fall on your head.

I feel like this could very easily distract from the rest of the movement just because it really seems like the most important part.

Glad to hear the low carb is working well.

Current Challenge

# 39#38 | #37 | #36 | #35 |#34 | #33 | #32 | #31 | #30#29#28#27#26#25 | # 24 | #23#22#21 | #20 | #19 | #18 | #17#16#15#14 | #13 | #12 | #11 | #10#9#8 | #7 | #6 | #5 | #4 | #3 | #2#1 | Battle Log

Instagram | Goodreads

Mobility-Stretching-Routine-Cheat-Sheet.thumb.png.f6d66e5eb8ae9d96ad249b3efbddd96e.png

Mobility Day 

NTC - Open Rotation 

I haven't had one of these in a while so it was nice to get in a good stretch. 

• Like 3

1618817478_images(4).jpeg.3f27bde80c25c108c7e3ad21fabf65ec.jpeg

Training Day 

Jump Rope 

10x10 KB Swings 

3x10 Goblet squats 

Low back stretch 

90 /90 

Pigeon pose 

I did not sleep nearly as much as I wanted to last night. Dragging a bit this morning. Took it easy on the workout. 

• Like 3

wsedu48le2i11.jpg.d90f35f1f3b639aa04820936e0f58304.jpg

Practice Session

5 Half TGU 

3x3 Dead Stop Clean and Press 

I was running short on time today so just practiced the movements. The get ups are getting way better but still having issues with the clean 😠

• Like 2

KB cleans are hard. I have been trying for years and still haven't mastered.

Current Challenge

# 39#38 | #37 | #36 | #35 |#34 | #33 | #32 | #31 | #30#29#28#27#26#25 | # 24 | #23#22#21 | #20 | #19 | #18 | #17#16#15#14 | #13 | #12 | #11 | #10#9#8 | #7 | #6 | #5 | #4 | #3 | #2#1 | Battle Log

Instagram | Goodreads

Me too. I sorta figure out the snatches, but the cleans are wrist collision city.

On 5/3/2020 at 11:26 AM, h3r0 said:

#4 Mental Health 

Mental health is now more important than ever. I need to remember to be grateful for what I have, to savor the small joys, to kiss my wife and hug my children, to not let my frustrations turn me into a grumpy asshole while we are all locked in together. 

Where attention goes, energy flows. To copy the birds from Huxley's The Island, I will set a reminder on my phone to chime twice a day with Karuna. It will be my trigger to pause and do this. 

Just a quick goal update. 

I am crushing workout, mobility, and even diet but not # 4 Mental Health. 

So I setup the reminders on my phone for twice a day. It sorta worked for the first day, but I have only ignored it since then. I finally deleted it today. 

The high anxiety I felt in the beginning of our collective 2020 nightmare has largely been calmed. I can at least mask up and go out when I have to. This is a big improvement. 

Now I am on the blahs. My kids are out of school, my wife is home, and I am working from home. It's working but everyday is just bleeding together. Nothing changes and nothing to look forward to. 

Since the moment of mindfulness didn't work for me I will pivot my goal to Journaling instead. I pulled out an old one that hasn't been used in a few years but still has half the pages blank. We will see if I can keep this on track and if it can help me reflect on things a little better rather than float through this year. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, h3r0 said:

Now I am on the blahs. My kids are out of school, my wife is home, and I am working from home. It's working but everyday is just bleeding together. Nothing changes and nothing to look forward to. 

One of the things I learned the hard way as I tried to adjust to the new quarantined normal, is that we have to create things to look forward to. There are no NBA playoff games, there is no music festival with concerts, there are serious concerns about going to a restaurant for a date night... but we have to have fun things to look forward to. Create fun. Schedule fun. Talk about the fun as it approaches, then talk about how fun it was after it's over. Then do it again. :) 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1