Summer (h3r0) is Coming 

h3r0

Glad to hear the surgery went well. And that anxiety has lessened and mask tolerance is going up. You've got this!

I have been considering getting an analog clock and making colorful lines or so like I have seen is done for children to remind myself of things like mindfulness... (NOT getting one of those clocks where there is "now" instead of numbers :D )

Level ☆ human [uncategorizable]
STR 2 | DEX 3 | CON 3 | STA 3 | WIS 6 | CHA 6

6 hours ago, h3r0 said:

The high anxiety I felt in the beginning of our collective 2020 nightmare has largely been calmed. I can at least mask up and go out when I have to. This is a big improvement. 

This is good. But I'm sorry about the blahs. 😕 

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

You can absorb me! - Harriet the Contextless Guru

full-pace.jpg.956499f9cd3f6a1105b86b1ecba625f2.jpg

Fencing Drills 

Foot work drill

Lunge work 

Foot work + point control 

I really miss my fencing class. It was only once a week but I really enjoyed it. They haven't announced yet when they could possibly reopen but I have decided to add skill work to my weekly routine. I am so so rusty. 

Placed a tape line in the garage with a hanging tennis ball at one end. Practiced advancing and retreating in 30s blocks. Then advances to lunge. Finally advances to hit the swinging tennis ball which I missed half the time. 

Really rough. I haven't forgotten what to do but my body didn't want to cooperate. More work to come. 

• Like 3

LEVEL 4 - Half Elf - Sword Assassin

STR: 9          DEX: 4          CON: 8          INT: 6          CHA: 7

SKILLS: Swordsman 

EQUIPMENT: Padded Armor, Wooden Sword 

BADGES: Stormrider

The drills sound useful, though I'm sorry you can't practice with anyone. 

• Like 1

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

the-12-week-muscle-building-kettlebell-master-plan-1-700xh.jpg.7da8c76aba150e3537731403f997c075.jpg

Training Day 

Jump Rope 

Halos 

7x10 Swings 

7x10 Goblet Squats 

1x20' Suitcase Carry 

Low back stretch 

90 /90 

Pigeon pose 

A good workout. Getting easier and easier. 

• Like 4

DA325A55-A6D8-4AEA-9A8F-E22EC1507E85.png.17e7bade51fb5cf71eb18b9923919733.png

Training Day 

Jump Rope 

Halos 

5 Half TGU 

4x5/5/5/3 Dead Stop Clean and Press 

Low back stretch 

Twists 

90 /90 

Pigeon pose 

I am going to change up this workout. I feel like I need more time with the C&P, more sets of 3 to try and get this movement down. 

I need some more upper body work as well. I have lost about 5 pounds since the challenge started and I have gained some muscle in the chest and shoulders but it looks like most of the weight I have gained since I started working out is in my lower body, legs and butt. Not a bad problem to have but I want to even it out a little bit more. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, h3r0 said:

I need some more upper body work as well. I have lost about 5 pounds since the challenge started and I have gained some muscle in the chest and shoulders but it looks like most of the weight I have gained since I started working out is in my lower body, legs and butt. Not a bad problem to have but I want to even it out a little bit more. 

Nice!

Current Challenge

# 39#38 | #37 | #36 | #35 |#34 | #33 | #32 | #31 | #30#29#28#27#26#25 | # 24 | #23#22#21 | #20 | #19 | #18 | #17#16#15#14 | #13 | #12 | #11 | #10#9#8 | #7 | #6 | #5 | #4 | #3 | #2#1 | Battle Log

Instagram | Goodreads

3 hours ago, KB Girl said:

You’re so consistent with the workouts, it’s very inspiring! 

Thank you! You'd think I would be in better shape than I am. 😋

Off day today. 

I am going to get my haircut today for the first time since March. I am a little nervous about it but I managed to find a hipster barber that only does cuts by appointment only so we will be the only two people in there. I have never been to a hipster barber before but we will see how it is.  I am used to more old school barber shop. 

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, h3r0 said:

Off day today. 

I am going to get my haircut today for the first time since March. I am a little nervous about it but I managed to find a hipster barber that only does cuts by appointment only so we will be the only two people in there. I have never been to a hipster barber before but we will see how it is.  I am used to more old school barber shop. 

When you say hipster barber, I immediately think of glitter beards:

glitter-beard-trend-67__700.jpg&f=1&nofb

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Harriet said:

When you say hipster barber, I immediately think of glitter beards:

glitter-beard-trend-67__700.jpg&f=1&nofb

That is absolutely terrifying 

• Haha 3

20 hours ago, h3r0 said:

Thank you! You'd think I would be in better shape than I am. 😋

You probably are in better shape than you think you are 😛

KB Quest: becoming a decent kettlebell lifter and an excellent coach

2023 goals tracker; cycling: 1047,7/5000km & reading to my kids: 58/365 days (updated may 1st)

my instagram - my gym's instagram

7 hours ago, h3r0 said:

That is absolutely terrifying 

It's the overly shiny hair on the right that makes really it truly frightening.

• Like 1

The Great Reading Thread of 2024

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37; Ch 38; Ch 39; Ch 40; Intermission V; Ch 41; Ch 42; Ch 43; Ch 44; Ch 45; Ch 46; Ch 47; Intermission VI; Ch 48; Ch 49

2 hours ago, Scalyfreak said:

It's the overly shiny hair on the right that makes really it truly frightening.

I have a deep hatred of glitter 

2 hours ago, KB Girl said:

You probably are in better shape than you think you are 😛

Ummm maybe? Compared to what? I don't look like a Instagram model but who does? I don't believe I have ever seen someone in person with all the abs and guns. I know that I am probably not the most objective person concerning myself. I tend to always downgrade when it comes to judging myself. 

Hair cut accomplished! I wasn't sure what to expect from the hipster barber but it was just a barber. Yes the shop was decorated very differently but the cut and experience was exactly the same. 

It's such a small thing but I feel so much better to get all that hair off. I am used to getting my hair cut every 2 weeks and it had been since early March. 

I was nervous due to covid anxiety but it seemed OK. They only let one person in the shop at a time and I had to wait in the car until it was my turn. Just the two of us in there and I noticed that he made it a point to always stand behind me, even when doing the sides as to I assume never be directly in my face. I'm not if that helps but it made me feel better about the situation. 

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, h3r0 said:

I was nervous due to covid anxiety but it seemed OK. They only let one person in the shop at a time and I had to wait in the car until it was my turn. Just the two of us in there and I noticed that he made it a point to always stand behind me, even when doing the sides as to I assume never be directly in my face. I'm not if that helps but it made me feel better about the situation. 

It shows that he has a decent grasp of how this spreads, and is trying to avoid it himself by not letting you breathe on him ;) 

Barbers and stylists around here are wearing masks, from what I have heard, and they are requiring clients to sanitize their hands before sitting down and touching anything.

The Great Reading Thread of 2024

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37; Ch 38; Ch 39; Ch 40; Intermission V; Ch 41; Ch 42; Ch 43; Ch 44; Ch 45; Ch 46; Ch 47; Intermission VI; Ch 48; Ch 49

715222318_images(7).jpeg.0f6ac0e0de26952b6e23909217b0da92.jpeg

Light Training 

Jump Rope 

4x10 KB Swings 

3x10 Goblet squats 

90/90

So tired. I didn't sleep very much last night, up late and wore out. I thought about taking a off day today but decided to just go easy with just a few sets. I do feel better getting some movement in. The plan is to go to bed early tonight but we will see how that goes. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, h3r0 said:

So tired. I didn't sleep very much last night, up late and wore out. I thought about taking a off day today but decided to just go easy with just a few sets. I do feel better getting some movement in. The plan is to go to bed early tonight but we will see how that goes. 

This is... a great idea? Like maybe if I can't face a full upper body day I could still do a few snatches? Why didn't I think of that.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Harriet said:

This is... a great idea? Like maybe if I can't face a full upper body day I could still do a few snatches? Why didn't I think of that.

🤣

If you are short on time or energy a little bit of practice movements is probably a good thing 

• Like 1

Yea that realisation makes all the difference :)

On 6/4/2020 at 2:12 AM, h3r0 said:

I tend to always downgrade when it comes to judging myself. 

I figured!

• Like 1

KB Quest: becoming a decent kettlebell lifter and an excellent coach

2023 goals tracker; cycling: 1047,7/5000km & reading to my kids: 58/365 days (updated may 1st)

my instagram - my gym's instagram

20_clean_and_press.png.2e768013429afa7a8cb2671997f69ebf.png

Training Day 

Jump Rope 

Halos 

4x8 Bench Press 100/110/120/100# 

4x3 KB Clean and Press 

Low back stretch 

Twists 

90 /90 

Pigeon pose 

A nice little workout this morning. Keeping my reps lower on the C&P really helps with form. Went low weight on the bench since it has been a few weeks since I have done them. 

• Like 3

fencingongarde3.jpg.9b45a262cf67c880d29b5489e401f38b.jpg

Fencing Drills 

Holds

Balance drills 

Various advances and retreats 

Point Control 

Good training session. My balance sucks so need to work on that some more plus I really need these drills. Moving like Frankenstein and it should be fluid and without thinking. I need more practice. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, h3r0 said:

Good training session. My balance sucks so need to work on that some more plus I really need these drills. Moving like Frankenstein and it should be fluid and without thinking. I need more practice. 

Does your club have real competitions? Will you be able to properly duel when it opens up again?

31 minutes ago, Harriet said:

Does your club have real competitions? Will you be able to properly duel when it opens up again?

They do not host any official competitions, the club is too small, but there are regional ones that several members compete in. It's completely optional. 

I would assume that we would be able to duel. A typical class is 30 minutes of drills, 30 minutes of 1:1 fencing that involves different set ups, followed by a hour of free fencing. 

I'm not sure what covid precautions we would need. Obviously we keep a sword length apart at a minimum. The post handshake was already banned due to covid right before we canceled the class completely. 

• Like 2