Summer (h3r0) is Coming 

h3r0

1 hour ago, h3r0 said:

I'm not sure what covid precautions we would need. 

Oy, judge! This mask is full of holes! 😛 

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

You can absorb me! - Harriet the Contextless Guru

19 hours ago, h3r0 said:

fencingongarde3.jpg.9b45a262cf67c880d29b5489e401f38b.jpg

Fencing Drills 

Holds

Balance drills 

Various advances and retreats 

Point Control 

Good training session. My balance sucks so need to work on that some more plus I really need these drills. Moving like Frankenstein and it should be fluid and without thinking. I need more practice. 

Fencing looks so cool as a hobby but it also looks a little to cultured (read; I am too clumsy for that!) for me.  I wonder if they do a melee version anywhere where it's just knocking lumps of crap out of each other with a broadsword or an axe.  I think that suits my capabilities a little more!

5 hours ago, Quirky Quinn said:

Fencing looks so cool as a hobby but it also looks a little to cultured (read; I am too clumsy for that!) for me.  I wonder if they do a melee version anywhere where it's just knocking lumps of crap out of each other with a broadsword or an axe.  I think that suits my capabilities a little more!

LOL I am too clumsy for it too so don't feel bad. Speed and endurance are probably the two most important aspects to have, followed closely by balance.

Look for videos of long sword, more hack and slash, but no less technical. 

• Like 1

LEVEL 4 - Half Elf - Sword Assassin

STR: 9          DEX: 4          CON: 8          INT: 6          CHA: 7

SKILLS: Swordsman 

EQUIPMENT: Padded Armor, Wooden Sword 

BADGES: Stormrider

b8fd4165e01e7cf30a6e3845af923f64.thumb.jpg.578b25a325f8bb48ad36b2584bda3756.jpg

Training Day 

Jump Rope 

Hurdles 

5x10 KB Swings 

5x10 goblet squats 

Twists 

90 /90 

Pigeon pose 

I had intended to do a couple more sets but I ran out of time since I overslept this morning. 

• Like 3

unnamed.jpg.be30f2983e74d0d4221c85b26d14e286.jpg

Training Day 

Jump Rope 

Halos 

4x8 Bench Press 100/110/120/100# 

5x3 Dead Stop KB Clean & Press 

90/90

Pigeon pose 

Upward dog 

A good workout. I might try something different for the chest. I love the bench press but I don't think it has really ever done anything for my chest. At heavy loads it has made my upper body bigger but never the muscular Arnold chest. Maybe dumbbells? 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, h3r0 said:

A good workout. I might try something different for the chest. I love the bench press but I don't think it has really ever done anything for my chest. At heavy loads it has made my upper body bigger but never the muscular Arnold chest. Maybe dumbbells? 

Inverted row?

The Great Reading Thread of 2024

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37; Ch 38; Ch 39; Ch 40; Intermission V; Ch 41; Ch 42; Ch 43; Ch 44; Ch 45; Ch 46; Ch 47; Intermission VI; Ch 48; Ch 49

2 hours ago, h3r0 said:

Me too! I always felt it made my biceps bigger but not my chest.

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

You can absorb me! - Harriet the Contextless Guru

6 hours ago, h3r0 said:

I love the bench press but I don't think it has really ever done anything for my chest

The standard bench press doesn't engage the chest much while pressing under 1x body weight.   That can be adjusted by taking a wider grip.   Beyond that, if you have a specific goal of developing your chest, isolation exercises - such as various forms of flys - are useful for that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

You haven't seen my Final Form

I Stand With Gina Carano

2011-03-20-RX-Jump-Rope.thumb.jpg.330a539495de4cc6ef3e937196530be7.jpg

Conditioning Day 

Jump Rope 

Hip flexer stretch 

90 /90 

Pigeon pose 

I took it really easy. I would jump rope for 1-2 minutes, take a break and then go again for roughly 20 minutes total. I just wanted to get some cardio in but not burn myself out. 

• Like 3

kettlebell-clean.jpg.ab8ed823edf79966530f3cdb3e9a8b0e.jpg

Training Day 

Jump Rope 

6x10 KB Swings 

6x10 Goblet Squats 

Practice KB cleans

Hip flexer stretch 

90 /90 

Pigeon pose 

Upward dog 

I planned on more sets but time was a factor. Is it standard to start the clean with your thumb facing your body? I saw it on a video last night and it felt a little awkward at first but was actually able to clean up and catch without any bump, even swing clean which I haven't been able to do before. To be honest I was trying to clean it like a barbell before. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, h3r0 said:

I planned on more sets but time was a factor. Is it standard to start the clean with your thumb facing your body? I saw it on a video last night and it felt a little awkward at first but was actually able to clean up and catch without any bump, even swing clean which I haven't been able to do before. To be honest I was trying to clean it like a barbell before. 

Darn that muscle memory! 😠

• Like 1

The Great Reading Thread of 2024

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37; Ch 38; Ch 39; Ch 40; Intermission V; Ch 41; Ch 42; Ch 43; Ch 44; Ch 45; Ch 46; Ch 47; Intermission VI; Ch 48; Ch 49

MEME2016-03-11-02-21-13.jpg.6c61c896e2ac67674c0b64a004f7bbdb.jpg

Training Day 

Jump Rope 

Halos 

3x8 DB Flys @20#

3x3 Dead Stop KB Clean and Press 

2x6 Double KB OHP 

90/90

Pigeon pose 

I got very little sleep last night and I am dragging today. I really liked the OHP with kettlebells. That was really nice. Felt it through the whole shoulder girdle. I'm going to add this to the rotation. 

• Like 3

nick-sinclair-buckarooface-web.thumb.jpg.5e242aa935e7f03eba7f54d8f935b82c.jpg

May Challenge Writeup 

I made a lot of physical progress this challenge even if it seems like the rest of my life currently is stuck on hold at the moment. 

Starting weight: 200 lbs. 
Ending Weight: 195 lbs. 

#1 Training 

I am really enjoying the kettlebell work. I can get a good workout in quickly. It is not the brute strength I was getting from heavy barbells, but more a mobile athletic strength, although I am nervous that when I eventually get back to BB they will be a lot lighter. I have to admit that I am enjoying not being sore and beat up all the time like I was while running 5/3/1. I do not think that kettlebells are suited for large mass gains but does seem to give a more muscular, athletic body shape. 

I am still very much a beginner building skills with my 16 kg bells and want to keep going for another challenge or so. Long term I could see a summer KB work with a heavy BB during the colder months type of plan. 

CON +1

#2 Mobility 

My mobility still sucks, but is a little better. I can go a little deeper into the stretches now, less than a inch, but it doesn't feel as tight as it did. More work needed. 

DEX +1

#3 Diet 

So I lost a solid 5 lbs and have been at 195 for the last two weeks. This was mostly driven by the Atkins type low carb diet I switched to due to blood sugar issues. It is not a lot of weight for someone my size but it has made a dramatic impact on my body. I know it wasn't all body fat I lost because it is never 100% but I look a lot more muscular now. Especially compared to when I was the same weight several challenges ago and was bulking up. I guess it worked. I am not ripped by any means, guessing high teens % BF, but definitely not dad bod anymore. I actually look a little athletic. Especially the lower body, upper still needs some work. 

CHA +1 since I feel more confident in my appearance 

#4 Mental Health 

😶 The reminders didn't work. Journaling more but not a lot. Covid anxiety is less but overall anxiety remains high. I ventured out and got a haircut which was a big deal for me. Other than that I still haven't left the house really and continue to work from home. Cabin fever is starting to get real. I want to do adventure outside, craving something like camping or hiking but don't know what that looks like yet. I will add it to my next challenge.

• Like 4

Suns-Out-Guns-Out.jpg.18dad649b1719062be397d2dfe897b8d.jpg

Vanity Workout 

Jump Rope 

2x10 Weighted Crunches 10#

2x20 Russian Twist 10#

3x8 DB Curls 20#

1x20' Waiter Walk 

1x20' Rack Walk + Suitcase carry

That was actually nice. As a rule I hate any ab exercise but adding weight made it seem like lifting. I have definitely gotten stronger. In the previous challenge I experimented with different carries and I couldn't do the waiter walk. It was definitely tough but I could actually do it. So I am happy about that. 

A very successful challenge! I’ve found it inspiring to follow along, I love the consistency :)

about the thumb turned inwards, I guess they do teach that in hardstyle because I see it a lot. I usually advice a more neutral hand position with the thumb turned in a little, but I’ve found it’s actually easier to get people not to hit themselves in sport style when the thumb is pointing forward 🤷‍♀️ Mysteries. 

• Thanks 1

KB Quest: becoming a decent kettlebell lifter and an excellent coach

2023 goals tracker; cycling: 1047,7/5000km & reading to my kids: 58/365 days (updated may 1st)

my instagram - my gym's instagram