• Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

Xena

Xena revisits a marathon state of mind

Recommended Posts

My main exercise goal for the past several years has been to run a marathon in every state. I'm stalled at 30 for the foreseeable future. And the past several weeks, I have felt motivated to exercise but not really to do long runs. That's ok...I don't really need to do the long runs right now and can focus on other aspects of training. I don't have really solid SMART goals at the moment, but I thought of a couple things that would be sort of fun and motivate me to train. So 2 goals for now. Maybe more later.

 

1. Run a marathon each week (26.2 miles total, spread out however I like), somehow doing an homage to a state I was planning to run in over the next couple years.

 

2. Put at least 50 miles on my trail shoes.

 

I'm starting in zero week with Oklahoma! I had planned to run the Oklahoma City Memorial marathon in April. It's currently re-scheduled for October, but I'm not sure whether that will actually happen. So starting Monday, all things Oklahoma [I've already watched Tiger King, so maybe I'll put that aside for now...will figure out what else is in Oklahoma]. I learned last night that their state vegetable is watermelon. Yes, that's weird, but it apparently it can sort of be considered a vegetable  https://www.huffpost.com/entry/watermelon-fruit-and-vegetable_n_57a9e2c6e4b0b770b1a4481f   So next time I go to the store, I'll get some watermelon. And maybe figure out if there is any Blake Shelton song that could possibly belong on a running play list. Even though I referenced Hamilton in my last challenge, I will not indulge in Oklahoma! the musical. But maybe this classic is worth another listen

 

 

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

I’ve been through Oklahoma a few times and the only thing I can think of is that it has the sketchiest RV camping lots in the Union.

 

Tiger King has definitely convinced me that there are some sketchy parts of the state.

 

But I also learned that Reba McEntire is from Oklahoma. It's not really my genre, but what they hell, I'll listen to some stuff.

 

 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was going to say, my whole comprehension of Oklahoma is a continuum from @DrFeelgood to Joe Exotic.

 

happy challenge, I'l looking forward to broadening my Oklahoma knowledge!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

My parents lived in Muskogee before I was born.  

 

Oh wait, I know of Muskogee as well! 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All I know about Oklahoma are various brands of crazy; Tiger King, Oral Roberts, and my dad. And it's flipping hot! Our first visit down there it was 115F

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Maigs said:

All I know about Oklahoma are various brands of crazy; Tiger King, Oral Roberts, and my dad. And it's flipping hot! Our first visit down there it was 115F

We drove through it over the summer, I slept through most of it.  But we were on the interstate, not in any of the cool little towns.  All I remember was wind mills and traffic.  Also, Garth Brooks, I think

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Xena said:

I will not indulge in Oklahoma! the musical.

The old/original one. That is about all I know about Ok. Looking forward to learn more.

38 minutes ago, Jarric said:

I love the idea of themed marathon weeks, that sounds like a lot of fun.

This ^^^. Great idea!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/3/2020 at 2:56 PM, deftona said:

 

Oh wait, I know of Muskogee as well! 

 

 

wow...that one is dark. Interesting reading about it.

 

22 hours ago, Maigs said:

All I know about Oklahoma are various brands of crazy; Tiger King, Oral Roberts, and my dad. And it's flipping hot! Our first visit down there it was 115F

 

I didn't know about Oral Roberts.

Hmmmm....does your dad have any personality quirks that you (or he) attribute to him being from Oklahoma?

 

12 hours ago, Novaurora said:

We drove through it over the summer, I slept through most of it.  But we were on the interstate, not in any of the cool little towns.  All I remember was wind mills and traffic.  Also, Garth Brooks, I think

 

Good call on Garth Brooks. I didn't know that.

 

Today I did my normal 2 miles while listening to the Blake Shelton Pandora channel. For anyone who doesn't know how Pandora works, you can type in an artist's name, and they'll play some music by that artist and some other stuff in a similar style. The songs that I liked the best weren't actually by Blake Shelton, so I guess I'm not particularly a fan.

 

More on Oklahoma: If my online sources are accurate, Oklahoma is the state with the largest Native American population and also has the headquarters of the Cherokee Nation. [Oklahoma just became way cooler in my book]. And I don't know how I forgot this, but I actually briefly lived in Oklahoma as a toddler. My only memory of it is stepping on a thumbtack (and thats more like a memory of hearing the story).

 

Other new challenge goals: These are pretty darned loose goals, but here are a couple more:

(1) Mini-goal for this week...The supermoon will be Wed night/Thurs morning. If the weather is ok I'll try to do a pre-dawn run near the beach on Thurs. My BFF is theoretically willing to join on her bike.

(2) New Challenge-long goal: I've identified 4 routes where I sometimes track times and know my best time for the year (trail mile, 3.6-mile trail loop, 5-mile road/trail "ranger run", and 5 mile "Friday 5" course). I want to see how many of these times I can beat. No particular goal, just beat as many as I can.

 

New challenge dates: GL's are encouraged to get our new challenges laid out early. That means not really having zero week off to mull it over. So I'm starting this challenge now (today...zero week) and ending it at the end of week 4. Still a 5-week challenge, just off cycle from some others. During week 5, I'll treat it as zero week and figure out my next challenge.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Xena said:

More on Oklahoma: If my online sources are accurate, Oklahoma is the state with the largest Native American population and also has the headquarters of the Cherokee Nation. [Oklahoma just become way cooler in my book]. And I don't know how I forgot this, but I actually briefly lived in Oklahoma as a toddler. My only memory of it is stepping on a thumbtack (and thats more like a memory of hearing the story).

 

Before it was a state it was known as "The Indian Territories."

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Xena said:

Hmmmm....does your dad have any personality quirks that you (or he) attribute to him being from Oklahoma?

Nah, he's just bat shit crazy and happens to live in Oklahoma. He's not actually from there, just lived there for the last 10ish years.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Today was ok. I ran 3 miles pretty easy (was supposed to be a rest day from running, but I'm finding that going out for a bit is better for me in many ways). Unfortunately I also meant to do some strength work and literally forgot. Will try to fit it in tomorrow.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/4/2020 at 7:45 PM, Xena said:

(1) Mini-goal for this week...The supermoon will be Wed night/Thurs morning. If the weather is ok I'll try to do a pre-dawn run near the beach on Thurs. My BFF is theoretically willing to join on her bike.

Did this happen?  How was it?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Novaurora said:

Did this happen?  How was it?

Nope, but only because it was cloudy and raining.

 

Yesterday was a tedious all-day video meeting. I didn't have time to run before it. I almost didn't run after, but decided I really needed to get outside. It was just starting to drizzle as I was starting and lightly raining toward the end. Running in cold rain was probably the best part of the day.

 

Today I risked being late to part 2 of the all-day video meeting and went for a run in the morning. Very glad I did busy all day with work video meeting. Then a couple hours in the evening on condo video meeting.

 

Haven't done any strength training for a while. Not positive I'll fit it in tomorrow...will try, but otherwise will turn over a new leaf on Saturday.

 

In terms of my weekly "marathon" I'm 15 miles into it. If it were the real race, I would be near the top of the map, heading back toward the start...that's about all i know about the course. Sometimes in a race, even if you don't really know where you are, it's nice to have the sense that you are running back "home"

 

image.png

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A marathon a week is impressive. So impressive that I'm going to lie down and admire your activities quietly from the couch. How do you keep your knees and other joints happy with that much mileage? 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I lived in Oklahoma for 7 years when I was younger. I don't think it's as sketchy y'all believe it is, although I do have some stories about the public education system.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Xena said:

Yesterday was a tedious all-day video meeting. I didn't have time to run before it. I almost didn't run after, but decided I really needed to get outside. It was just starting to drizzle as I was starting and lightly raining toward the end. Running in cold rain was probably the best part of the day.

 

Today I risked being late to part 2 of the all-day video meeting and went for a run in the morning. Very glad I did busy all day with work video meeting. Then a couple hours in the evening on condo video meeting.

I can barely sit still for like an hour staff meeting.  I can't imagine an all day meeting!  Good on you for getting your run in both days!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just saw this WOOT!

 

I am going to HAVE to follow you some.  I'm on the eve of signing up for my first marathon.

 

and ohboy am I nervous about it.  I got to August to prepare for it (though they did warn me they can't guarentee it will run) and I did a half-marathon last October... But

in my mind the halfmarathon didn't go so well.  I pushed myself too fast and made myself miserable for a N00B pace and a bad finish.

 

anyways, WOW.  I hope you get out there and get to do it.

 

Also. I was just out to OKC last june (I go to a work  conference nearly every year)..  I really Liked that city.   actually one of my fav.

---

anyways keep up the running adventures and GJ in keeping motivation and routine when so many races or canceled and/or postponed.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm glad you got running in around your all-day meetings. Those sound awful. One hour video meetings aren't so bad, but more than that gets tedious real fast.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Harriet said:

A marathon a week is impressive. So impressive that I'm going to lie down and admire your activities quietly from the couch. How do you keep your knees and other joints happy with that much mileage? 

 

~18 years ago I had some knee and foot pain from running. I got some orthotics that cleared up the foot pain almost instantly like magic. Then I moved where I currently live and started doing more of my running on trails. Mixing up the terrain has really helped me. And somehow I gave up the orthotics after a while and never went back. I struggle with really tight hamstrings and hips, but my joints seem to be holding up. I am lucky so far. 

 

I'm a huge slacker on strength training though, so I really admire you there.

 

20 hours ago, das@das said:

I lived in Oklahoma for 7 years when I was younger. I don't think it's as sketchy y'all believe it is, although I do have some stories about the public education system.

 

Yeah, I'm really trying not to "hate on" Oklahoma because I don't think that's fair. One of the cool things about the 50 states journey is that I've found cool and interesting things almost everyplace I've been. Except Missouri. That trip was horrible, but I don't think the whole state sucks. I just won't be personally signing up to go back to Springfield any time soon.

 

Do you remember anything fun about your time there? Even a kid thing like "I had a cool treehouse" or whatever.

 

10 hours ago, Novaurora said:

I can barely sit still for like an hour staff meeting.  I can't imagine an all day meeting!  Good on you for getting your run in both days!

 

As a plus, I get to bring my cat to these meetings 🙂

 

10 hours ago, TGP said:

Just saw this WOOT!

 

I am going to HAVE to follow you some.  I'm on the eve of signing up for my first marathon.

 

and ohboy am I nervous about it.  I got to August to prepare for it (though they did warn me they can't guarentee it will run) and I did a half-marathon last October... But

in my mind the halfmarathon didn't go so well.  I pushed myself too fast and made myself miserable for a N00B pace and a bad finish.

 

anyways, WOW.  I hope you get out there and get to do it.

 

Also. I was just out to OKC last june (I go to a work  conference nearly every year)..  I really Liked that city.   actually one of my fav.

---

anyways keep up the running adventures and GJ in keeping motivation and routine when so many races or canceled and/or postponed.

 

 

Thanks TGP! Which marathon will you do? I think you'll have a great time!

What was one thing you liked about OKC? I'm trying to collect experiences a bit. Doesn't have to be anything major...could be a cool restaurant or nice park, or even just a friendly person you met.

 

2 hours ago, Mistr said:

I'm glad you got running in around your all-day meetings. Those sound awful. One hour video meetings aren't so bad, but more than that gets tedious real fast.

 

Yeah, not so great, but at least they are done!

 

---------------

Today I went after my 5-mile course benchmark time. I know I went faster in 2019...gotta look up my times for 2020. Thinking it probably wasn't super awesome, but it was at least a solid training effort. Up to 20 miles on my "marathon."  I have a long run planned for Sunday, so it will be fun to imagine a sort of finish line 6 miles into it.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.