• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Xena

Xena revisits a marathon state of mind

The OKC zoo had red pandas that were actually being really active. I've never seen them do anything but sleep so it was extra adorable to watch them play.

Spoiler

Then we went to the Skeleton Museum and I learned that red pandas are not nearly as cute on the inside

• Like 3
  • Wow 1

1 hour ago, Xena said:

Thanks TGP! Which marathon will you do? 

I think I've picked the closest one to me; its only 20 miles away!

its called the drake well marathon and runs past one of the first oil wells in the world.  (the oil industry was real big here in NW pa)

per the marathon organizer there is only about a crowd of 200 spectators.

1 hour ago, Xena said:

What was one thing you liked about OKC? I'm trying to collect experiences a bit. Doesn't have to be anything major...could be a cool restaurant or nice park, or even just a friendly person you met.

hmm great question! as there were Many things I like about OKC.  I ended up liking it almost as much as New Orleans; though there is much more activity, energy, and music in NO.  the highlight was definitely the brickworks - an area you will skirt past in your long 26mile run.

but I am going to go subtle for the BEST thing I saw; because while I didn't buy anything in it- and I rarely enjoy Stores very much.

there was a little store that sold indian art.  and in the store there was one of the most gorgeous, colorful, beautiful and mastiful paintings I have seen anywhere.  and for me; it beat everything I saw in the French quarter, NO (though there is ALOT of awesome art in the French quarter NO.)

somehow I saw it as a reflection of Native Americans themselves.

;)

--------------------------------

did I read it right that you have done a marathon in 30 states?  did you make it to PA and if so, where in Pa, out of curiosity?  ofc one of my closest cities is Pittsburgh and I thought about running  down there.

but somehow I don't feel ready for large metro marathons.  and though is 'close'- that's only in reference to other cities. its still nearly 2 hours to get there; 3 if you get stuck in traffic.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Xena said:

Do you remember anything fun about your time there? Even a kid thing like "I had a cool treehouse" or whatever.

It's a really green and pretty place. My elementary and middle schools were the some of the best schools you could find. Fine arts programs there are pretty good despite low funding. There all kinds of cool clubs you could join. Sometimes there would be an ice storm and you would wake up to everything coated in up to half an inch of ice.

But a lot of my memories of Oklahoma are tainted by being bullied by just about everyone and getting betrayed by my friends.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TGP said:

--------------------------------

did I read it right that you have done a marathon in 30 states?  did you make it to PA and if so, where in Pa, out of curiosity?  ofc one of my closest cities is Pittsburgh and I thought about running  down there.

Thanks for sharing your memories and plans! I've done a mix of big and small marathons, and yes, 30 states so far.

For PA, I did the Philadelphia marathon many years ago (a big one!). It was a wonderful trip that I remember well. I went with my best friend. It was an unusually cold year...so cold they canceled the wheelchair race. We were incredibly impressed though with how many people had come out as spectators. Kept thinking "people in Philadelphia must be really tough!"  I remember in the later aid stations, it was just a big slick of frozen gatorade. I slide on one and a guy caught me. I tried to thank him and he gave me this look like "I'm just glad you didn't take me out with you." I totally understood it...late in the race you are so tired that you have no extra energy for anything.

After the race was kind of a magic day. We went to Starbucks and had fancy coffee drinks and they tasted SOOO good. We ran up the art museum steps ("the Rocky steps") and I think that must be one of the happiest places in the world. ALL KINDS OF PEOPLE were doing it. Old ladies. Some Russian guys who spoke no English. Some awkwardly hobbling marathoners. Everyone knew it was silly and was laughing and jumping around and taking pictures. After that my friend really wanted to see the Liberty Bell and I really didn't. But she's my friend, so we did it. We walked off and it was a longer walk than we realized. We walked and walked and it was getting darker and colder and we were getting hungrier and more tired. It seemed like street after street full of nothing. We started calling it a 'death march." Just when we were about to give up, we found it. Then we left and walked about half a block and found a great Italian restaurant. By magical coincidence the Patriot's game was on (we're both fans) and we got to eat a ton of food and watch the game. After that we really wanted to see a movie, so we asked the waitress, and it turned out there was a theater right around the corner. We walked over and the timing worked out just right to see In Bruges. It just felt like sort of a perfect trip...even the "death march" sort of worked out and made for a good memory.

1 hour ago, das@das said:

It's a really green and pretty place. My elementary and middle schools were the some of the best schools you could find. Fine arts programs there are pretty good despite low funding. There all kinds of cool clubs you could join. Sometimes there would be an ice storm and you would wake up to everything coated in up to half an inch of ice.

But a lot of my memories of Oklahoma are tainted by being bullied by just about everyone and getting betrayed by my friends.

I'm really sorry to hear about your school experiences. That's terrible. But thank you for sharing the nice parts too.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Maigs said:

The OKC zoo had red pandas that were actually being really active. I've never seen them do anything but sleep so it was extra adorable to watch them play.

Hide contents

Then we went to the Skeleton Museum and I learned that red pandas are not nearly as cute on the inside

That sounds awesome...the zoo part mostly, though the other part is interesting too.

And I'm sure most of you have seen this, but I never get tired of it. It's what I think of every time I hear red panda

• Like 4

Did my yoga class today. It was fine...better than last year. I wasn't tempted to skip out of class and do other stuff.

Spent a chunk of the day breezing through Season 9 of Walking Dead (I recently re-activated my Netflix). It was great.

Not sure if I mentioned this, but I recently learned that I had been gripping my pull up bar wrong. I was wrapping my palm over the bar,  rather than my fingers. The way I was doing it pinches your palm and gives you gnarly callouses pretty fast. Working on doing it the other way.

Found out there is some kind of circus school sort of near me. Since they can't do circus camps and stuff now, they are having a zoom exercise class on Thursday. Don't really know what's involved, but I'm gonna give it a try.

• Like 4

On 5/3/2020 at 12:41 PM, Xena said:

I will not indulge in Oklahoma! the musical.

Are you sure? I have Hugh Jackman over here.

54 minutes ago, DJtrippyT said:

I tried watching it for this very reason and still couldn't make it very far into it

2 hours ago, Xena said:

Found out there is some kind of circus school sort of near me. Since they can't do circus camps and stuff now, they are having a zoom exercise class on Thursday. Don't really know what's involved, but I'm gonna give it a try.

Ooh, that sounds cool. I look forward to hearing what they do

15 hours ago, DJtrippyT said:

Such a valid point! I also gave it a try. It got better after I got past the lady churning butter. I don't think I've ever seen Hugh Jackman that young. He has quite an engaging smile.

I did 14 miles today. Ran the first half with a friend. Doing my long runs with her really doesn't work for me and I kind of dread it. I'm going to tell her I want to run the next two Sundays on my own. Ended up with 34 miles for the week, which is solid.

Challenge goals...as far as I remember

1. "Run a marathon" each week. Yup. Oklahoma officially conquered. Will buy some watermelon to celebrate. Next week is Montana! I was planning to run Bozeman in September. I hadn't planned much, but I was really looking forward to the trip. My BFF was going to go with me and find some mountain biking adventure to do at the same time. This week can be a chance to look into stuff I might want to do once I actually get there.

2. 50 miles on the trail shoes. Only 5 miles this week. I'll do more next week.

3. Try some of my local benchmark courses. Tried the local 5-mile road course. Was 1:20 slower than my fastest time of the year. That's fine...the point is to try and to get in a hard effort.

I think that was all my goals???

• Like 6

5 hours ago, Xena said:

I did 14 miles today. Ran the first half with a friend. Doing my long runs with her really doesn't work for me and I kind of dread it. I'm going to tell her I want to run the next two Sundays on my own. Ended up with 34 miles for the week, which is solid.

Would running with her work for an easy run, or is it not fun either way?  I know some people who "run together" meaning they meet up at the trail head, each go do their own run, then meet up for coffee after.  It keeps the companionship and accountability (if you are into that) without having to match running styles and speeds.

Yeah, other arrangements could work. I would love it if she would just run ahead at her own pace and have suggested it. I think running together would be better during the week. I run shorter distances then and it would be ok to push harder. The problem is our schedules don't match as well during the week and she's more spontaneous/flaky than me (depending on hour you look at it. I've been managing this situation for years and complaining about it. Which means I'm not managing it all that well. I have been pretty honest with her, but maybe not assertive enough. Anyway, I'll do my own thing for the next two weekends and see what happens after that.

---------------------------

The rest of today was a little rough. I called my mom for mother's day. She was crying because my brother is sick with symptoms that sound rather covid-like. My over-70 mom has been regularly hanging out with my brother and doing the daycare for his daughter. They were all over at my mom's house yesterday to bring her lunch, even though my brother wasn't feeling well. I know it's relatively likely that they will all ultimately come out of this ok, but it really sucks. 

The one good bit was that I told my mom to buy some zinc lozenges early in the pandemic days. I know these haven't been proven to be effective against covid-19, but there is decent evidence that they shorten cold severity, so it's not a bad thing to try. She brought some over to my brother and took one herself (I think you are meant to take them after you start experiencing symptoms, but whatever, it made my mom stop crying and gave her a little feeling of control). She texted later to say she was really happy because he's feeling a little better. I didn't have the heart to point out that a classic case of covid-19 has people initially get better and then get much worse.

I told my mom she can't spend time with my brother and his family or go outside anywhere for the next 2 weeks (driving to by brother's house and leaving stuff outside it ok). I think she gets it.

I'm kind of mad about this, even though I understand that people are people and everyone acted with good intentions. It's been a risk for my mom to take care of her granddaughter, but a calculated risk. My brother had no business going over there when he wasn't feeling well. But on the other hand, I get it. Initial symptoms of pretty much anything are vague and hard to take seriously.

• Like 7

I really hope your brother is ok and it's just the usual seasonal bullcrap of flu/colds/hayfever. 

• Like 1

As always, I'm impressed with your running... I'm doing a bit more running lately myself, so following along for moral support

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Xena said:

The rest of today was a little rough. I called my mom for mother's day. She was crying because my brother is sick with symptoms that sound rather covid-like. My over-70 mom has been regularly hanging out with my brother and doing the daycare for his daughter. They were all over at my mom's house yesterday to bring her lunch, even though my brother wasn't feeling well. I know it's relatively likely that they will all ultimately come out of this ok, but it really sucks.

**Hugs** Hope your brother recovers quick, and that your mom misses it totally. Otherwise that she doesn't get sick badly. Zinc, as well as vit.C and D help with immune system, as well as recovery. So I think the lozenge would help some. Keep us posted on their health. I totally understand how you feel. **Hugs**

Edited by ElizeElvinFoxRyder
  • Like 1

Montana week is exciting.  It's a place I keep meaning to explore since it is a drivable distance for me; obviously this year isn't going to be the year so I will live vicariously through you living vicariously.  :) Tell me all about it. 

On 5/8/2020 at 6:41 PM, Xena said:

Yeah, I'm really trying not to "hate on" Oklahoma because I don't think that's fair. One of the cool things about the 50 states journey is that I've found cool and interesting things almost everyplace I've been. Except Missouri. That trip was horrible, but I don't think the whole state sucks. I just won't be personally signing up to go back to Springfield any time soon.

Do you remember anything fun about your time there? Even a kid thing like "I had a cool treehouse" or whatever

I've been to northeastern OK several times because my in-laws live there. The Ozarks extend into the NE corner of OK. The land is hilly with lakes and rivers, unlike the rest of the state. The area between Joplin, MO and Muskogee is vacation country and very pretty.

The Cherokee National Museum is really interesting. There are often art fairs where local people sell crafts that are beautiful.

16 hours ago, Xena said:

I told my mom she can't spend time with my brother and his family or go outside anywhere for the next 2 weeks (driving to by brother's house and leaving stuff outside it ok). I think she gets it.

I'm kind of mad about this, even though I understand that people are people and everyone acted with good intentions. It's been a risk for my mom to take care of her granddaughter, but a calculated risk. My brother had no business going over there when he wasn't feeling well. But on the other hand, I get it. Initial symptoms of pretty much anything are vague and hard to take seriously.

I hope everyone in your family comes through this okay.

I understand your anger at your brother. By this point everyone should know to stay home when they aren't feeling well. It doesn't matter if it turns out to be "just a cold". No one else needs to suffer through your cold. If it turns out to be worse than a cold, you'll have no regrets for not sharing it.

My mom is getting bored staying in her apartment all the time and not seeing anyone. Luckily she does not like to drive and lives far enough from my brother's family that she is not severely tempted. Yet. Sheltering in place is much harder for people who live alone.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Xena said:

I hope your brother has something very mild and that he's better soon. 

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for your helpful and supportive thoughts about my family situation. It helps more than you know. My brother was able to get tested today and is waiting to find out the results. He and my mom are now convinced that it's actually strep. That sounds a little doubtful to me, but we have no real evidence one way or another, so it's just a wait-and-see thing. They are all being smart about it now and staying home. He's hoping to get an actual strep test tomorrow.

Thanks also @Mistr for the info about OK. After this week, I'm definitely convinced that when I eventually go, I'll want to learn a bit about Cherokee history, art and/or culture.

Today I went grocery shopping and it was better than it's been recently. I got some watermelon to celebrate Oklahoma week, and I got some supplies to make cucumber sandwiches for @deftona's garden party. I'm calling Wednesday my official garden party day.

I did my usual 2 miles today and a little strength work.

• Like 8

Here's what I learned about Montana today:

Montana is known for its open expanses and beautiful wilderness. That natural bounty yields exceptional food, including bison, huckleberries, chokecherries, morels and some of the best beef in the country, along with local favorites worth a detour.

damn, I went grocery shopping today and didn't get any of this! Presumably I could have gotten beef and maybe even bison, but probably not the rest of it. I don't usually eat meat, but maybe I'll have a burger to celebrate. I haven't had any carry-out since quarantine. I keep feeling guilty and wanting to support local restaurants, but then I look at the menus and figure I can make stuff just as good on my own. And in the back of my mind, I have uneasiness about the finances. I have a job and am doing ok, but I still feel a little anxious...which I know makes it hard for the economy to recover etc etc. So yeah, maybe I'll have a burger.

• Like 3

Montana is gorgeous. Huckleberries are overrated, but see if you can get a Thimbleberry pie shipped to you. We had one on the reservation outside of Glacier and it was one of the best things I’ve ever eaten.

ETA Having a homemade pie shipped from Montana might not be good for your financial anxieties of course. It wouldn’t be too different from making your own raspberry pie.

I’ll cross my fingers for your brother.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

Huckleberries are overrated, but see if you can get a Thimbleberry pie shipped to you. We had one on the reservation outside of Glacier and it was one of the best things I’ve ever eaten.

Huckleberry jam is amazing. I had never heard of thimbleberries until a couple of years ago. Apparently we have them in our are.They are super good, Never seen enough to make a pie though

• Like 3

I’ve been to a few big thimbleberry patches, one in Glacier, two in the UP, and one in Northern Minnesota. I’ve seen a Bear in them every single time. Once while I was alone with Slothgirl in a baby sling. So make a lot of noise next time you see Thimbleberries.

• Like 2