• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Xena

Xena revisits a marathon state of mind

13 hours ago, Xena said:

Here's what I learned about Montana today:

Montana is known for its open expanses and beautiful wilderness. That natural bounty yields exceptional food, including bison, huckleberries, chokecherries, morels and some of the best beef in the country, along with local favorites worth a detour.

I was in Montana two ago and it's beautiful. Hubs got huckleberry ice cream there and it was okay, but I'm personally more of a chocolate person myself. Glacier Park is pretty amazing and we got to see a bear close up (while in our car so not too scary). We only spent two days there and I'd love to go back and do more hiking. I could see myself running away to Montana when I'm tired of people, even though it's a bit too red for my hippy heart. I may track down some pictures to share

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

Montana is gorgeous. Huckleberries are overrated, but see if you can get a Thimbleberry pie shipped to you. We had one on the reservation outside of Glacier and it was one of the best things I’ve ever eaten.

ETA Having a homemade pie shipped from Montana might not be good for your financial anxieties of course. It wouldn’t be too different from making your own raspberry pie.

I’ll cross my fingers for your brother.

These are brilliant ideas...and thanks. He seems to be feeling better.

21 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

Huckleberry jam is amazing. I had never heard of thimbleberries until a couple of years ago. Apparently we have them in our are.They are super good, Never seen enough to make a pie though

I'm gonna look into jam or pie options 🙂

20 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

I’ve been to a few big thimbleberry patches, one in Glacier, two in the UP, and one in Northern Minnesota. I’ve seen a Bear in them every single time. Once while I was alone with Slothgirl in a baby sling. So make a lot of noise next time you see Thimbleberries.

Also love it when I get helpful survival tips!

9 hours ago, Maigs said:

I may track down some pictures to share

Please.

-----------

More research:

I got this from the US Forest Service website. I love the first sentence (emphasis added). Also why is US Forest Service using British spelling?? [conspiracy??]

https://www.fs.fed.us/wildflowers/plant-of-the-week/rubus_parviflorus.shtml

Thimbleberry is a favourite berry of children and adults as well as other wildlife. The common name describes its appearance, as it does resemble a thimble from the top, where the thimble has little indentations to push down upon the needle. Imagine a raspberry but smaller, with smaller but more numerous fruitlets. These berries are tart and may be eaten raw, or cooked and made into jam or jelly and other food items such as pemmican or fruit leather. It is red when ripe. Look for thimbleberries in the mountains, in places that are shady, moist, and cool. The leaf is fuzzy and five-lobed, and may grow larger than a person’s spread hand. It should have two small lanceolate stipules at the base, stipules being a common feature of the Rosaceae (Rose family) to which this, blackberries and raspberries belong. Rubus is actually the Latin name for blackberry plants (brambles), which are close relatives of the thimbleberry. Parviflorus means ‘small flowers.’ They are white (sometimes lavender), slightly crinkled, and five-petaled; like a strawberry, the centre of the flower looks rather like a flattened, yellow form of the fruit to be produced.

I have found lots of recipes online for thimbleberry pie, which doesn't seem particularly helpful for most of us.

Today was fine. I did 4 miles with 2x10 min at threshold pace. Tomorrow I'll get in some trail running.

• Like 5

Ok here's something else I've learned. Montana has sapphire mines. If you are looking for an activity, you can apparently order gravel and then sift through it for sapphires.

(I"m not advocating for any of these links/places, just copying something I saw). The sapphire mine part seems to be true.

Sapphires, Montana’s most precious gemstone. Sapphires, a precious blue gemstone, can be mined in Montana, specifically in the cute town of Philipsburg. Both Gem Mountain and The Sapphire Gallery offer their customers a chance to wash gravel and find their own precious gemstones. Gem Mountain also ships gravel so the sapphire lovers in your life can mine anytime…like Christmas morning! You can also shop for made in Montana sapphire jewelry from The Sapphire Gallery here.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Xena said:

Gem Mountain also ships gravel so the sapphire lovers in your life can mine anytime…like Christmas morning! 

Gravel for Christmas! *takes notes* 

• Like 4

I'm sorry to hear about your family and I hope you guys get good news soon!!  My Montana contribution:  there is a tiny restaurant/B&B right outside the Montana exit of Yellowstone.  There is a general store/ice cream shop next to it.   If you ever get out there, VISIT BOTH.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Novaurora said:

I'm sorry to hear about your family and I hope you guys get good news soon!!  My Montana contribution:  there is a tiny restaurant/B&B right outside the Montana exit of Yellowstone.  There is a general store/ice cream shop next to it.   If you ever get out there, VISIT BOTH.

Will do!

Today I did an easy 5 on trail (that takes me 11 miles in to my Montana journey).

I also made my first every cucumber sandwiches for @deftona's garden party. They were delicious. I didn't have any of the herbs that people seem to usually use, but I had some fresh basil, so I added that. Lovely!!

And in Montana-land I learned that Palisade falls is just outside Bozeman (where my race is) and a very easy stroll/hike from the parking lot. Would be a perfect thing to do the day before or after the race.

image.png

• Like 7

1 minute ago, Xena said:

Thanks for those pics @Maigs  They are beautiful!

Thank Hubs, he was the photographer for all of those. They were all taken in or near Glacier Park. The bear picture was with no zoom. He was just walking down the road in the other lane from us

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Xena said:

I also made my first every cucumber sandwiches for @deftona's garden party. They were delicious.

I'm glad you tried and enjoyed them! They don't need any herbs either, they're pretty lovely as they are but basil sounds like a great addition! 

• Like 1

On 5/3/2020 at 12:41 PM, Xena said:

1. Run a marathon each week (26.2 miles total, spread out however I like), somehow doing an homage to a state I was planning to run in over the next couple years.

I had to look up what my goals were...turns out there were 3. For this one, I got 34 miles this week (thanks to my coach suggesting I run 18 miles today), so Montana can be checked off my virtual list. I kind of slacked on the Montana trivia, but I learned about some food, saw some cool photos from Maigs and got some good ideas from several of you.

Next week is on to Idaho! I was going to try to fit that one in during October to give me 3 marathons for the year.

On 5/3/2020 at 12:41 PM, Xena said:

2. Put at least 50 miles on my trail shoes.

10 miles this week, bringing me to 15.

On 5/4/2020 at 7:45 PM, Xena said:

(2) New Challenge-long goal: I've identified 4 routes where I sometimes track times and know my best time for the year (trail mile, 3.6-mile trail loop, 5-mile road/trail "ranger run", and 5 mile "Friday 5" course). I want to see how many of these times I can beat. No particular goal, just beat as many as I can.

Tried the mile this week. Not a great performance, but a reasonable efforts. So far 2 attempts, but no success.

Other news from this week: I did a zoom exercise class put on by a local(ish) circus school. It was really good. Pretty normal exercise...some HIIT, some hip stuff, come core stuff, but the instructor seemed knowledgeable and threw in a couple creative things. The most interesting thing was a core exercise that you do holding a broom handle (or similar pole). Lie on your back with your legs extended holding the broom handle above your chest with arms at shoulder width. Hover one leg off the ground, and bend the other one pulling it under the broom handle and then straighten it (as much as you can). Do 10 times on each side. It was a good exercise.

Random quarantine survival tip: Is the grocery store looking grim? Apparently you can eat hostas!

Maybe I already posted this. If I did, doing worry, I haven't gone nutty over hostas. The days are just blending into each other....

• Like 5

In honor of Idaho week, I'll finish off my stash of potatoes...don't have that many left, but I'll put them to good use 🙂

• Like 4

Idaho week? I like this challenge.

I have a couple different friends there, but I’ve only driven across it. It takes super long; I’ve never done it in one shot. The first time across we stayed at a KOA that was behind a rendering plant (seriously). It seemed sketchy, but all the people were really nice.

Oh, if you’re driving along and you see a sign to beware of winds, grab the steering wheel tightly or prepare to be pushed across all the lanes of traffic.

It’s beautiful, but I’ve never seen it green. I’d love to go back and hang out in the mountains.

If you get fries ask for the fry sauce (spiced mayo-chup).

I think that’s all I got.

• Like 4

Very awesome first week.

Never thought to eat hostas.  I did try dandelion greens from my yard and lilac berries.  I use my extra hostas to plant in new locations with the goal of hostas everywhere.

• Like 1

On 5/18/2020 at 8:57 PM, bgvanbur said:

Never thought to eat hostas.  I did try dandelion greens from my yard and lilac berries.  I use my extra hostas to plant in new locations with the goal of hostas everywhere.

The deer eat my hostas, so that would be a tough one for me. I will live my hosta dreams vicariously through you.

On 5/18/2020 at 10:04 PM, Elastigirl said:

Huh, I didn't know you could eat hostas. Between that and dandelions, I'm set on food apparently

Yes!!

And you just made me think of another interesting quarantine project idea!

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/162202/dandelion-wine/

image.png

• Like 4

Today was more interesting than most of my quarantine days.

Ran a hard loop around the pond this morning. Thought I had hit my PR for the year (yay!) then realized I had run ~45 seconds faster back in March. Oh well, it was still a good hard run.

This afternoon I went into work for my "essential duties". Leaving the parking lot I had a flat tire. Long story, slightly shorter, a nice couple helped me change the tire. In the process I learned that my car doesn't have a jack (useful information, and obviously something I will remedy next time I go to a store). Weird days when you are happy to get a flat tire because it's an opportunity to talk to someone.

• Like 9

Our bearded dragon loves dandelions, but seeing as it is nearly winter here, there are none in sight.

Awww no! Too bad you missed that record with 45seconds. But glad you enjoyed it none-the-less.

Glad someone was around to help you with the flat.

My mother still intentionally plants (heritage breed) dandelions in her garden every year.  She keeps a historically accurate 1900 garden.  Apparently dandelions are garden veggies brought over from Europe.

• Like 3
  • Wow 1

Here is my late addition to Idaho Trivia.  In Montpelier, you can visit a bank that Butch Cassidy robbed.  Free entry, definitely a neat little tourist trap though.

• Like 2

Week 2 report

It was Idaho week....and I just did a tiny bit of reading. I was planning to do an October marathon in Boise, and it turns out there are two of them. I wasn't really sure which one my friend wanted to do and was planning to defer to her. I'm thinking it's possible that there actually might be some races come October. But I'm thinking I might not feel comfortable traveling for something non-essential until the disease is really under control. Not so much concerned about my own risk, but don't feel ethically right about it. Still a ways off, so we'll see.

But when I do eventually get to go to Boise...It looks like there are lots of hot springs and some places to go horseback riding and some breweries. That's my Boise bucket list for now.

Challenge goals:

1. Run 26 miles each week: Yep! I had to extend today's run just a bit to make this goal. Came in at 26.2 (which seemed appropriate).

2. Put 50 miles on my trail shoes: Another 10 this week, bringing me to 25. I gotta squeeze in an extra trail workout this week b/c I'm a bit behind (ending this challenge a week ahead of official dates).

3. Try for my local PRs: Made a solid attempt this week, but fell short. My coach wants me to give it another try. I did too..now that I have some splits to target, I can probably go faster. I just need the right day.

Rewards and other stuff:

To celebrate Oklahoma week (last week) I got myself some carryout...a burger and some caprese salad. I haven't had meat in months...it was delicious!  Hoping the gut fairies don't notice...

I also signed up for a Daily Om program...I guess we can call that an Idaho reward. It's has 14 sessions of short workouts that target the glutes. Thought it might be more interesting that all the boring rehab-y stuff I try to make myself do. It's probably a lot of the same exercises but at least mixed up in a different way. An annoying thing about the program: they don't tell you what equipment you need until AFTER you buy it. Turns out you are meant to have a resistance band (the mini kind you loop around your legs) for a bunch of the exercises. You can do the exercises without it. I've been thinking about getting one of those for a while, so I went ahead and ordered a set. Hopefully the program is good.

Next week is Maryland!

• Like 6

Does anyone else feel like they make a disproportionately large number of typos on this site? Geez, I'm a mess on here! I read back some of my stuff, and it's like a crazy person wrote it. And no...it's not because of drinking...almost never.

Anyway, today was a good lazy day (holiday for us in the US). I did my hip activation video, went for a short run. I planned the run so I could meet up with my BFF and her husband toward the end to walk their dog in the woods. It's nice to see them..makes things feel a little more normal. Came home and did a bunch more yard work followed by a bit of work on the pull-up bar. Then a took a big nap. Now I need to pull myself together just a little bit so I can get organized for the week.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Xena said:

Does anyone else feel like they make a disproportionately large number of typos on this site? Geez, I'm a mess on here! I read back some of my stuff, and it's like a crazy person wrote it. And no...it's not because of drinking...almost never.

It is probably a statistically average amount of typos, but you are above average in caring about typos. :D

Looking forward to learning about Maryland!

• Like 1