• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Novaurora

Nova becomes a good partner and an adulty adult

First person to get the title reference gets mad millennial pop culture points from me, lol 

So, If you know me, you know I have an issue with follow through on everything from chores to things I enjoy.  This is an issue for me in a lot of ways and impacts my job, my marriage, and my happiness.  I tend to over complicate things to the point they are hard to keep up with, so this challenge is meant to be the opposite.

One of the things I have a bad habit of doing that drives my dear sweet husband (and mysekf) bonkers is that I have a tendency to half do a bunch of stuff instead of just finishing one thing at a time.  For Example: On Tuesday, I’m supposed to vacuum in the front room.  This includes the rug, the couches (cushions, pillows, underneath, etc), and putting the room back together afterwards.  On any given Tuesday, due to being (or getting) distracted by other things, I might only do the carpet or skip the undersides, leave the vacuum in the front room, etc etc.  This doesn't just pertain to chores either.  It pertains to my hobbies as well.

I don't do this intentionally or maliciously, but the “I meant to, but…” excuse is getting old for both of us

So in this challenge, there is only 1 rule: if I start it, I finish it.

This can be anything: cleaning, school, fitness (for example, if I workout Monday, I have started a week of exercise, thus that carries through for Wednesday and Friday), personal life, etc

I do still want to make this measurable and realistically attainable, so my plan is that I intentionally pick between one and three things every day.  Again, not trying to make this overbearing or difficult with too many moving parts, but if I pick it, I need to do it to get points for that day (unless, obviously something larger/more important comes up throughout the day that must be dealt with right then, and there is a thing on my list I haven’t started that I can swap out).  If I start other things that day and they don't get finished, that's fine.  The plan is to NOT do too much at once.  

I’m also making a list of unfinished things that I want to finish, and I will hopefully work on a few, but there is no pressure to complete any of them.

Nova’s list of unfinished/discontinued stuff

• Bentoblog (be more consistent)
  • Cucumbers (Short Story)
  • Evelyn (Short Story)
  • Good Housekeeping (Short Story)
  • Attic organization
  • Flexibility goals

This is about as unchallenge as I'll ever get, and I really need one, so we'll see how it goes.

• Like 5

Today's Two Things:

1. Kitchen clean up: we cooked ravioli from scratch yesterday, had a few many drinks, and left the kitchen in a state overnight.  To get my points, I must:

• Load the dishwasher
  • handwash large things
  • Wipe down counters
  • sweep and mop the floor in front of the work area (flour everywhere)
  • Run dishwasher
  • Put away all dishes

Total: 6 points (all or nothing)

2. Laundry: Sunday is laundry day, that is what it is. To get my points, I must:

• Gather all dirty laundry including kitchen towels, sheets, front room blankets, and clothes
  • Wash and swap loads in reasonable intervals
  • Fold them
  • Put them away
  • Tidy up the laundry room

Total: 5 points (all or nothing)

Sunday points possible: 11

SIDENOTE: At any time, recruiting my husband or asking for help is 100% allowed.  

• Like 5

25 minutes ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

If I start it I finish it is a major boss battle.

Yuuuuup.  Most things I'm pretty good about, but let me tell you about the arsenal of half-finished video games in my Steam library... OO look, a video game sale--

HERE FOR THIIIIIIIIIS

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Salinger said:

AVRIL????

Yup.  Gotta love the teen angst :)

7 hours ago, Salinger said:

Ill be supporting you Nova and cheering you on as always xx

Thanks Sal!  Always great to have you!

7 hours ago, Quirky Quinn said:

I fall down on follow through to Nova!  No, not like that.. 

Routing for you! 

Thanks!  Welcome, QQ!

7 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

If I start it I finish it is a major boss battle.

I know, and here I am, 0 week channeling some good vibes like

giphy.gif

7 hours ago, loire said:

Yuuuuup.  Most things I'm pretty good about, but let me tell you about the arsenal of half-finished video games in my Steam library... OO look, a video game sale--

HERE FOR THIIIIIIIIIS

My husband is also bad for this.  He will go through binges where he mods the SHIT OUT OF THINGS (he currently has like 150 mods on Fall out 4) but he rarely finishes a play through because MORE MODS

6 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Following.

Yay!  Welcome, fearless leader!!

5 hours ago, deftona said:

I've started so I'll finish (the project) * - Ron RosenheadRon ...

Following along! 

Woohoo!  Here we go!!!

2 hours ago, Jupiter said:

Agreed. Following!

Welcome!!  Yay!!

1 minute ago, Elastigirl said:

What an awesome goal!

Thanks!  I was proud of myself for limiting it to just one, hopefully success abounds!!

So, today went well. I cleaned the kitchen this morning, did the laundry throughout the day, had to work on some school things for a good bit of the afternoon, and ate leftover chicken fried rice for lunch (home made).  When that was done, I had a great snuggle and a glorious nap with hubs.  I made super tasty burgers for dinner (1/4 pound burger topped with grilled onions cooked in fajita seasoning, with a toasted bun and smoked gouda, lettuce and pickle on top) with some baked potato chunks, cleaned the kitchen AGAIN, made the bed and put the laundry away.  Can't complain.

I get all my points for today (and I'm doubling the kitchen since I did it twice)

Points total: 17

So, I like to have an overall goal to shoot for SO I did some math, and figured the average for a day would be two tasks each with 5 parts, so 10 points.  6 weeks in a challenge and that gets me 420.  SO, because I love prizes...

If I get to 420 points before the end of the challenge, I get a prize, TBD

If I get to 550 I get and even BETTER prize

If I get to 600, I get THE BEST PRIZE

Will think over what these are this week

• Like 6

10 hours ago, Maigs said:

Here to support finishing tasks!

Woohoo!  Imma need all the support I can get!

H'okay, so, today is feeling pretty good because one of my tasks is already done, but here they are.

1. Workout

Warm-up

Squat

Bicep Curls

Plank

Tricep Extension

Glute Bridge

Jumping jacks

Yoga

Points Available: 8 (all or nothing, but points are pending until Friday because I owe this task at least 2 more workouts)

**I am actually shocked this happened this morning, as I slept like shit and REALLY REALLY didn't want to, but I had already picked it last night, and I'm all about living up to standards when I actually have to be accountable, so here we are.

1. Organize Clothing drawers 

1. Take all clothes and sort things I do and don’t wear

2. Put all “don’t wear stuff” in a bag in the attic til it is safe to donate

3. Refold anything that has been crumpled or shoved in a random place (Read: everything).

4. Organize clothing boxes as follows:

1. Shirts x2, tanktops, shorts, pants, underwear, bras, socks, workout pants, workout shirts, sweatshirts

Points available: 4 (all or nothing)

The little voice in my brain is tempting me to pick a third, but I slept poorly, will probably end up napping on the couch after work, and don't want to push my luck.  I'm so happy for coffee right now.

• Like 6

Thats a lot in itself Nova, you did good not to pick a third i think. Good luck with that task, i should do mine but... nope...! haha 

Sending you love xx

• Like 1

I love this challenge. I know for some people, starting a task is easy, but finishing is hard. For others, starting is the tough part, but once they start they finish. Knowing which you are is a key to knowing where to put your energy.

I am a notorious "serial starter" myself, and I've found that not letting myself start something new until I've finished the previous thing gives me great motivation to actually finish.

Brain: Ooooo, look at that new thing we can do! Shiny!

Me: That is cool, but we can't start that until we finish this task.

Brain: But... look at how shiny it is!

Me: We can start it once we finish this one!

Brain: OK, let's finish this one.

Finishing stuff isn't easy for people like us, but like anything it can be made into a habit. And oftentimes the reward for finishing is that you get to start something new without any guilt.

• Like 4

23 hours ago, Salinger said:

Thats a lot in itself Nova, you did good not to pick a third i think. Good luck with that task, i should do mine but... nope...! haha 

Sending you love xx

You were absolutely right in this.  The only other thing I accomplished was cleaning up the kitchen after dinner, which it kinda becoming a habit, so yay.  I'm glad I didn't add to the list.

21 hours ago, GoodDoug said:

've found that not letting myself start something new until I've finished the previous thing gives me great motivation to actually finish.

Brain: Ooooo, look at that new thing we can do! Shiny!

Me: That is cool, but we can't start that until we finish this task.

Brain: But... look at how shiny it is!

Me: We can start it once we finish this one!

Brain: SCREW YOUR LOGIC!  NEW THING! NEW THING! (That's my brain currently.  It wins a lot).  I hope one day my brain is as polite and willing to acquiesce as yours. 

21 hours ago, GoodDoug said:

Finishing stuff isn't easy for people like us, but like anything it can be made into a habit. And oftentimes the reward for finishing is that you get to start something new without any guilt.

This is what I'm working on.  I hope to get all my current writing projects at least draft 1 done by the end of this challenge. (all short stories or children's books, nothing huge)

12 hours ago, foxinthenorth said:

This is an excellent challenge.

Thanks!  It's gonna be a battle, but I'm here for it.

5 hours ago, Salinger said:

Hoping you are ok and are resting ❤️ x

I slept much better last night.  Thanks!!

So, yesterday was a mixed bag.  Worked out, had a decent day "at work" getting stuff done.  It's teacher appreciation week.  So, happy week to @Sloth the Enduring, Sra Tanque, and any other teachers on the board I am missing...I know there are others, so wish them a happy week if you can.  Hubs and I ended up in the conversation loop we've been having for the last ever, which was unpleasant, but then we came together to make tasty dinner.  It was a recipe for tex mex poutine that we modified to work this the leftover potato chunks from yesterday.  It was SO GOOD.  We watched some TV and then I did my drawers.  Picture proof in the spoiler.  And yes, our drawers are built into our bed.  Also, extra picture of my "helper" just for fun

Spoiler

PhotoCollage_20200504_203340164.thumb.jpg.f67d2e45a899ae578e9dca5e6a1f784d.jpg

IMG_20200426_221436.thumb.jpg.408b40e281bc0eaab0bbd2ad99c38f7e.jpg

Today has been good so far, we both woke up around 6:30 because the smoke alarm was chirping low battery.  We made pancakes with strawberries for breakfast and here we are.  

Today's tasks: 

1. Vacuum the front room

• Vacuum the carpet
  • Vacuum the couch cushions
  • Vacuum the back, sides, and frame of the couches
  • Fold up the blankets and reset the couches
  • Empty the cannister
  • Put vacuum back

Total: 6 points (all or nothing)

2. Type up 10 pages of good Housekeeping (a story from like 5 years ago that has lived in a notebook, and while it is longer than 10 pages, I know inevitably that I will start editing those 10 pages as I type, so 10 pages is a solid goal, and we will continue this goal throughout the week in small increments)

• If focus is maintained (no sitting in front of the TV, phone is not picked up every 10 seconds, etc): 10 points
  • If focus is not maintained and we waste a lot of time, but still get it done: 5 points

Total: 5-10 points

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Novaurora said:

It was a recipe for tex mex poutine

Normally I'd recoil at this, but given that it was the Eve of Cinco de Mayo (in which Mexico celebrates a military victory over the French) I'll let it pass.

• Haha 1

Late to this but gouda on burgers is one of the best things EVER, the smokiness, aaaa, so good!!

• Like 3

Stacking clothes sideways like that is a revelation!  I have never even thought to do it that way.  

I am at the mercy of whatever is at the top of the pile in the drawer is what I am wearing that day..  

10 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Normally I'd recoil at this, but given that it was the Eve of Cinco de Mayo (in which Mexico celebrates a military victory over the French) I'll let it pass.

Recoil all you want, but I appreciate the pass.  It was delicious, and I stand by it. ;) 

9 hours ago, loire said:

Late to this but gouda on burgers is one of the best things EVER, the smokiness, aaaa, so good!!

I know right.  So so good.  Smoked gouda is the shizz

9 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

Thanks Ms. Nova :) 

No problem.  We are all working especially hard right now, especially those of you with kids of your own!

Yesterday was up and down again. I worked and got a lot of grading done.  Putting grades in the gradebook is doing some good to motivate kids (we were only allowed recently to start), but also stressing out some, so it's a mixed bag.  We had chick fil a for dinner, then I did both my tasks. 

I love this new story.  It;'s about a newly wed girl whose husband cheated on her before they had even been married a year and she's trying to figure out how to explain the divorce to her perfectionist mother who loves the son in law and demands perfection from her children.  She is figuring this out while cleaning her train-wreck of a house, as all of this happened two weeks ago.  It has some great lines and I wrote 1900 words, which equated to 10 doubles spaced, handwritten pages that I edited as I went. While I am enjoying it,  I'm also starting to feel that some of my writing is a bit repetitive in it's setup.  While I always knew that the majority of my writing would focus on women with mental health issues, but none of my characters have friends, but they all have a sibling that they are in some way measuring them self against (whether positively or negatively). I guess that was the largest glaring thing.  And for now, it's not really a thing that matters because only one of the stories with this pattern is actually finished, so lets not count my eggs before they hatch. 

I added a few bullets to my vacuum goal, as I'm trying to take on some of the neglected cleaning as well, since because of our three dogs, there is a solid layer of filth that (according to my husband) I have just gotten used to, and unfortunately, he's kinda right.  So beyond the couches, hubs and I worked on dusting the windows and the blinds (which, full disclosure, I have lived here almost 7 years and NEVER washed the blinds).  How often do you guys do this??

I slept horribly.  I could not fall asleep and had a bit of a mental break down around 11:30 and just like sat there crying in bed spooning my dog until like 1am.  Long story short, no workout this morning because 4 hours of sleep is unacceptable, but I will make it up tomorrow.

Yesterday points: 13

Total points: 34

Today's tasks:

• 4 more pages in Good Housekeeping (less than yesterday because I had 3 solid hours of alone time yesterday due to hubs' online DnD)

Total: 4 points

• Clean the bedroom (I have a schedule 
    • Dust and wash blinds
    • Wash window
    • Clear dresser/night stand top and dust
    • Clean and dust mirror
    • Make bed (if not already done)
    • Sweep and dust mop
    • Magic erase years of hand grime off door and door frame

Total: 7 points

Welp, that's me.  Here we go!!

• Like 4