• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Quirky Quinn

Quinn dreams of the Mountains

Today I should've been climbing my first Munro.  

I'd planned to start a journey that will last a life time, walking up the 282 mountains in Scotland over 3000ft high.

https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/munros/

Obviously the start of this journey has been postponed until the world is back on it's feet and we are all ready to venture out into the wilderness again.  The mountains are ever present, permanent fixtures that will be there for millennia after I've gone and that have seen many pandemics come and go since they were formed as the glaciers retreated north and left the beautiful landscape behind, the Mountains are patient, I am not.

Therefore I have decided that for this challenge if I cannot go to the mountains I will bring them to me.  I had planned to walk up five Munros this year, all in the South West corner of the Highlands near Loch Lomond.  I have worked out that to do them all in one circuit, starting at the first one, Ben Lomond and finishing at the fifth, Beinn Ime would take 28.2miles and 4769mtrs of incline.  So over the 42 days of this challenge I will walk those miles and climb those hills.  This works out at 0.67 miles per day and 113.5 meters climbed per day.  I'll do this recording all my runs and walks on Strava and recalculating my daily required miles & meters left to the end of the challenge.   I'll record my progress on the map on the next post and update as I make progress.

I'm also going to bring the Mountains to me by studying the scenery I would've seen on the walks and attempting to draw them!  I am not a practiced sketcher by any means and the drawings I do will be rudimentary.  But the process is cathartic, I did my first one today and enjoyed the process, and the end result.

I'm looking forward to this one, it will be the next best thing to actually being out on the hills and I hope that you all enjoy coming along on my journey.

I'll mainly focus on the journey during the challenge but I also have been struggling a bit with productivity and motivation in some other areas during the lockdown.  I'm sure I'll also talk a little about these things and the steps I've taken to address them but not right now, right now I'm going to put on some Van Morrison, sit back, close my eyes and dream of the Mountains.

image.png.62409c6b2127a2468ce5993c50576d72.png

• Like 10

2 minutes ago, kcaleece said:

What a fantastic idea! I might have to steal it if that's alright with you...

Of course!  Please steal away!  The mountains are plenty big enough for all of us! 

• Like 1

Distance in miles, yet elevation in meters... I love it :) 

(and yes, I perfectly understand the reason of this mix, but outcome doesn't stop to amuse me)

Great idea with "virtual mountains"! Cheers!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, aramis said:

Distance in miles, yet elevation in meters... I love it :) 

(and yes, I perfectly understand the reason of this mix, but outcome doesn't stop to amuse me)

Great idea with "virtual mountains"! Cheers!

Thanks Aramis!  To be honest I’m not sure I understand the reasons for our hybrid measurements here in the UK it seems random as to what gets measured which way!

A sample from me;

Weight; imperial

Distance (in a vehicle); imperial

Distance (on a run); metric

Speed; Imperial

Height; Imperial

Elevation; Metric

Weight (in a receipe); Metric

Liquid (anything other than a pint); Metric

Pints; imperial

There is no logic involved, only stubbornness to hold onto outdated measuring systems! 

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, Quirky Quinn said:

There is no logic involved, only stubbornness to hold onto outdated measuring systems! 

I think it's more an unwillingness to be drawn in by those lousy Europeans, but the metric system makes so much sense so we couldn't help but adopt some of it. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, deftona said:

I think it's more an unwillingness to be drawn in by those lousy Europeans, but the metric system makes so much sense so we couldn't help but adopt some of it. 

Well at least you’re not Americans because we actively reject the metric system even though it would be so much easier. :P 

Quinn - I love your mindset and adaptability to complete a similar goal even if it’s in a different setting. Also love the mountain art ❤️❤️

• Like 4

8 hours ago, deftona said:

I agree entirely with you here.  Sensibility leaves the British national Consciousness if somebody else tells us to do something.  It’s why we have the Imperial system, were so far behind everyone else with Social Distancing laws and why we still think that Invading half the world was a jolly good thing to do.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Rebel Pilot Gar said:

Well at least you’re not Americans because we actively reject the metric system even though it would be so much easier. :P 

Quinn - I love your mindset and adaptability to complete a similar goal even if it’s in a different setting. Also love the mountain art ❤️❤️

Thanks!  I’ve been really struggling through the lockdown, my past challenge was an absolute shitshow.  I’m hoping that having a visual goal and relating it to the real world will help me stay focused and positive! 

• Like 2

Sunday 

Yesterday was a basecamp day.  At the start of the expedition, I could see Ben Lomond towering over the Loch and had an urge to draw it.  LQ, the littlest member of our expedition was also in the artsy mood and decided that she wanted to get the plasticine out which is always an invariably messy affair but hey, we've got plenty of time to tidy up at the moment so rock on!  I spent a nice hour sat at the kitchen table while MrsQ pottered around and LQ played it was nice.  Results (at least mine) are in the first post.

I also spent some time think about how I am going to achieve my trek, I think the distance will be ok (famous last words) but the elevation will require a few adjustments as my current run is flat down the canal and wouldn't add anything so I've come up with an alternate route which takes in a couple of hills and should give me at least some incline.

Later on I spent some time thinking about productivity and structure in my work day and I've a few things to try out today.  So I will update on how those go.

And then in the evening we watched the last ever episode of Homeland; I really enjoyed the last series and have the last few series after a dip in the middle.  I wont talk too much about it as I don't want to spoil it for anyone!

Today I will begin properly my trek by going for a run on my new route at some point. 

See the source image

• Like 4

I'm so sorry you can't start such an awesome journey straight away. It is such an inspiring goal. I certainly would like to do something similar (not in the near future, unfortunately). But it's nice to see you're finding a way to deal with the waiting and keep the spark alive :)

Hey QQ, sounds like a great day :D art and pottering around and planning !! Love your drawing. 

How did homeland end?? I only watched the first 3 seasons... (spoiler the end!!) xx

19 hours ago, zenLara said:

I'm so sorry you can't start such an awesome journey straight away. It is such an inspiring goal. I certainly would like to do something similar (not in the near future, unfortunately). But it's nice to see you're finding a way to deal with the waiting and keep the spark alive :)

Thanks!  I'm hoping that a bit pf positive association keeps me going this challenge!  I'm looking forward to getting into the mountains but I'm also enjoying the virtual mountains and the training I'm getting in for when I do get up there!

18 hours ago, Novaurora said:

I love how you are approaching this!  Good luck!!

Thanks Nova!  Based on last nights run I think I'll need the luck!

18 hours ago, Salinger said:

Hey QQ, sounds like a great day :D art and pottering around and planning !! Love your drawing. 

How did homeland end?? I only watched the first 3 seasons... (spoiler the end!!) xx

Thanks, I'll admit I was pretty pleased with my drawing.  It's probably about as good as it get's for me!  You might want to watch Homeland again someday! I'd hate to spoil it for you...

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Quirky Quinn said:

Thanks, I'll admit I was pretty pleased with my drawing.  It's probably about as good as it get's for me!  You might want to watch Homeland again someday! I'd hate to spoil it for you...

Im glad you are pleased, its great ❤️ lots of character!

Oh i wont - im too far behind haha xx

Monday.

I left basecamp yesterday and set off on my journey from the base of Ben Lomond walking the path through the woods filled with Scottish pines towards the lakeside.  The smell in the early spring and the noise of the animals waking up from their hibernations or scurrying around to find food for their new babies was life affirming!  Once I reach the Loch I will travel North up the East side of the lake to the ferry crossing and then head North West towards Ben Volrich.  But a long way to go before then.  Yesterday I was pleased to get started and stretch out my legs.  I'm just about at the Loch now and what a view!

Yesterday was really good.  I had a very productive day, probably my most productive since the Lockdown began.  I have put in place a couple of things to help me to stay productive during this challenge and I will go into more detail if they continue to work but for now it's very much one Swallow does not a Summer make.

I went out and ran.  Those who have followed my previous challenges know that my usual canal route will not be suitable for this challenge so I plotted a hillier version and went out.  It was gruesome!  I'm pretty well trained at walking up hills but running (creeping) is another story!  Time is not going to be a factor in this challenge but distance and elevation very much are.  Distance was good, 2.97 miles.  Height was not.  It might have felt like I'd gained altitude faster than a helicopter but it was only a gain of 69mtrs which is below my needed daily height increase level and so I need to add another hill in there next time I go out!  But it's all good training right!

See the source image

• Like 5
  • Wow 1

12 minutes ago, Salinger said:

This is so cool QQ!!!!! :D

That image is incredible too xx

I should say it is just lifted from the internet.  In no way was I involved in it's production!

• Like 1

After some consideration, I decided to shamelessly steal your idea of virtual mountaineering. It's a really good idea.

A] I made this. - GIF on Imgur

• Like 3
  • That's Metal 1

34 minutes ago, aramis said:

After some consideration, I decided to shamelessly steal your idea of virtual mountaineering. It's a really good idea.

A] I made this. - GIF on Imgur

Go for it!  I’m glad that it’s motivation for your challenge as it means I can follow along and enjoy more hard core Aramis progression! 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Quirky Quinn said:

I'm pretty well trained at walking up hills but running (creeping) is another story! 

Yes it is, but it's totally worth it! The first times I tried I thought I was going to die, but when you get used, you feel like Thor!

• Like 1