• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Quirky Quinn

Quinn dreams of the Mountains

Thanks, I'm enjoying the process and the end results.  I'm aware they are not technically particularly right but I don't really care!

I'm currently reading;

See the source image

Which is a really interesting book about people who are really good at making forecasts about the world do differently from the rest of us. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Quirky Quinn said:

I think my mum has got to a point where she recognizes that in competitive situations she's a bloody nightmare but she's got to a stage where she accepts it and gets on with it.  She's not going to change, and I respect that!

I think there is a part of my mom that has accepted that me winning is her winning too because she raised me to love words and knowledge, and now because I don't see her very often, it is one of our favorite past times.

1 hour ago, Novaurora said:

I think there is a part of my mom that has accepted that me winning is her winning too because she raised me to love words and knowledge

This sounds like a beautiful lie you tell yourself when you whup her so hard at scrabble you make her cry.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, deftona said:

when you whup her so hard at scrabble you make her cry.

The margins I win by are not in this range.  She is VERY crafty with her use of the board.  Usually I don't know I've won until we tally the scores.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Quirky Quinn said:

I just posted this to my family what’s app group and my mum said “you haven’t done that, it’s signed by Ben Volrich”

Hahahaha brilliant! 

• Like 1

Monday

Today I am still at the base camp at the foot of Ben Volrich.  I didn't run yesterday (planned day off) and I'm ok with that because I'm still enjoying the view!

Yesterday started so well, I got up had a nice productive morning at work, stopped for some dinner and then when I returned to my desk in the afternoon I just couldn't get going again.  I sat at my desk and dicked around whilst watching the time pass by.  I couldn't get myself on board with what I wanted to do in the afternoon so I gave up.

So the afternoon was a bit of a bust, I did play a couple of games of chess and read a bit but that stuff should be on top of work not instead of.

Back to it today.  I will get through at least 10 of my daily task targets.  It's nice to have it all set out so I know what I need to do already.  I haven't talked about my productivity plans so far this challenge as I want to prove the concept before pushing it out into the world.  

In the evening we made beef burritos for tea, which were great and after putting LQ to bed we watched some more Last Kingdom, which I am still really enjoying.

And that is yesterday, not very exciting and a mixed bag of progress but it's all good. 

Ben Vorlich and Stuc a'Chroin | GPS Routes Hub

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Quirky Quinn said:

Yesterday started so well, I got up had a nice productive morning at work, stopped for some dinner and then when I returned to my desk in the afternoon I just couldn't get going again.  I sat at my desk and dicked around whilst watching the time pass by.  I couldn't get myself on board with what I wanted to do in the afternoon so I gave up.

So the afternoon was a bit of a bust, I did play a couple of games of chess and read a bit but that stuff should be on top of work not instead of.

Oh man, this has been me too for the last several days! Awesome mornings, dead afternoons and evenings. I'm blaming quarantine at this point because this is unlike me otherwise - so maybe you're in a similar boat? Unfortunately I don't have any helpful tricks to share, but sometimes it's nice just knowing it's a thing.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Quirky Quinn said:

Back to it today.  I will get through at least 10 of my daily task targets.  It's nice to have it all set out so I know what I need to do already.  I haven't talked about my productivity plans so far this challenge as I want to prove the concept before pushing it out into the world.  

Waiting excitingly for whatever the result and observations you have when you feel ready to share. 

8 hours ago, kcaleece said:

Oh man, this has been me too for the last several days! Awesome mornings, dead afternoons and evenings. I'm blaming quarantine at this point because this is unlike me otherwise - so maybe you're in a similar boat? Unfortunately I don't have any helpful tricks to share, but sometimes it's nice just knowing it's a thing.

It is just hard to get going again once the momentum stops!  For me the hardest part of being productive is just getting started.  If I can get started, make myself open the spreadsheet, put on my running shoes or pick up the phone the rest just falls into place.  So I go through the mental steps of starting in the morning and then if I stop for lunch it's hard to go through those again!  

3 hours ago, //Min said:

Waiting excitingly for whatever the result and observations you have when you feel ready to share. 

Thanks Min, it's not any great insight or revelation but it seems to be working for me (to an extent).  However I don't want to shout and scream about this new productive method and kill it, I've done that before.  I'll just keep blowing on the embers until it's a fully fledged flame and I have the data to back up what I'm doing...

I have a way with mixing metaphors!

• Like 1

Tuesday

I have been to Ben Volrich and I am on my way back again now, towards the next mountain on this journey, Ben Vane.  I'm making good progress along the path and I'm enjoying the views, the sounds, the smells of spring.  The lambs in the fields with their mothers, the birds in their nests and I'm sure I saw a foal running through those trees!  

I did the same short but steep hill section again yesterday and it was a little bit quicker, a little bit easier.  I'm going to keep doing that route 3x per week and I'll add in a longer walk/run on the weekends which I'll aim to make up a hill because my biggest concern at the moment is the elevation numbers required are continuing to creep up.  I'll see how I get on this week and go from there.

Yesterday was a better day work wise I got some good productive hours in and am where I need to be with a project that is on my desk at the moment.  Today will involve a whole bunch of calls with various people to get the next stage done so I'll have to be communicative & at least a bit social.  I'm not really feeling it but needs must!

MrsQ made some progress with LQ yesterday with school work and she read a whole book by herself!  It feels like a milestone has been passed!  So we were supersupportive and made a big deal out of it. That meant she got to pick tea which, those of you who have followed previous challenges will know, means potato waffles, beans and sausage roll followed by icecream!  I secretly love it when LQ gets to choose tea!

See the source image

• Like 3

Wednesday

I sat in situ at the cross roads between the paths to two different mountains and feel contempt, the sun is beating down and it feels good to stop and appreciate it.  I am taking my time with this walk, I need to savor the sights and sounds.  Experience the nature of my surroundings.

This challenge has been about experiencing things that I can't experience just now, but also about slowing down and appreciating the now a little bit more.  Yes, I'm stuck in place physically but that doesn't mean I need to be stuck in place in other ways. 

Yesterday was ok. 

I've just spent 10 minutes trying to work out how to make yesterday sound interesting.  The truth is it wasn't.  I got up ate breakfast, worked, ate lunch, worked, spent some time with my family, ate dinner, put LQ to bed and watched some tv.

That's not to say that I didn't have a good day, but it was just another day.  Today I'm going to work on a couple of things that purposely add value to my future and others so that I don't feel like I'm just going through the motions.  I'm also going to call some friends and talk to them.

• Like 6

33 minutes ago, Quirky Quinn said:

I've just spent 10 minutes trying to work out how to make yesterday sound interesting.  The truth is it wasn't. 

Sometimes it be like that, Quinn. Some days are just about shovelling the snow. 

• Like 1

On 5/13/2020 at 9:13 AM, Quirky Quinn said:

For me the hardest part of being productive is just getting started.  If I can get started, make myself open the spreadsheet, put on my running shoes or pick up the phone the rest just falls into place.

Exactly the same here...

6 hours ago, Quirky Quinn said:

Yes, I'm stuck in place physically but that doesn't mean I need to be stuck in place in other ways. 

I just love this.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, deftona said:

Sometimes it be like that, Quinn. Some days are just about shovelling the snow. 

I feel like this is a quote I should know the reference for, but I don’t, so I googled it.  

No results.  Turns out it’s just straight up Deffy wisdom!  And 100% true! 

2 hours ago, zenLara said:

Exactly the same here...

I just love this.

2 hours ago, Salinger said:

Im the same for motivation. Its tough. Hoping your day is going well xx

Thanks and day has been good, I’ve been a little more proactive about not just grinding through the gears and enjoyed the process! 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Quirky Quinn said:

I feel like this is a quote I should know the reference for, but I don’t, so I googled it.  

No results.  Turns out it’s just straight up Deffy wisdom!  And 100% true!

I wish there was such a thing as Deffy wisdom but alas

14 hours ago, deftona said:

I wish there was such a thing as Deffy wisdom but alas

Well.  It will be, for me, Deffy wisdom forever!  

I haven't come across Haruki Murakami before but I might add him to the reading list which seems to get longer and longer!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Quirky Quinn said:

I haven't come across Haruki Murakami before but I might add him to the reading list which seems to get longer and longer!

I very much recommend Kafka on the Shore. 

• Like 1

Thursday

Yesterday was more interesting than Wednesday because I forced myself to make it more interesting.

I had a whole bunch of project work I had to get through but which also involved getting on and chatting to a few people so actually hearing voices that weren't my families was nice (not that I don't like my families voices but y'know!).   So I worked through some challenges and pushed hard to get people to engage and negotiated and engaged brain to solve problems and it was a good day!

At lunch I was in a meeting so MrsQ brought me up some lunch which was a cheese toastie but it was the greatest thing I've ever eaten!  I'm not sure what wizardry she performed but it was out of this world!

As I didn't stop at lunch time I didn't have the same issues with re-starting work so just carried on.  Work went well in the afternoon and I got all my things done.  I also played a game of chess, worked on a (work based) article I'm writing and read a little.  

In the evening, after a dinner of pesto pasta chicken with roasted bell peppers I played with LQ for a while and then after she went to bed we watched some more Last kingdom.  I didn't run because I was shattered by this point.  I need to get some more consistency into my work outs but I'm still on track for my 3 runs plus a long walk this week if I can get out running today and for my walk this weekend!

Oh, I almost forgot.  I watched the highlights from PMQ's yesterday and they were magnificent!  Having a trained barrister question Johnson and Johnson squirming without his party goading and shouting behind him was brilliant.  He didn't know where to look, never mind what to say!

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Quirky Quinn said:

I had a whole bunch of project work I had to get through but which also involved getting on and chatting to a few people so actually hearing voices that weren't my families was nice (not that I don't like my families voices but y'know!).

What do you do for work, if you don't mind me asking?

7 minutes ago, Quirky Quinn said:

Oh, I almost forgot.  I watched the highlights from PMQ's yesterday and they were magnificent!  Having a trained barrister question Johnson and Johnson squirming without his party goading and shouting behind him was brilliant.  He didn't know where to look, never mind what to say!

I was a little on the fence about Starmer (although he did get my vote in the leadership election) but he's definitely coming into his own now. 

I'm the Finance Director of a UK subsidiary of a Finnish PLC.

I think he was the best choice.  Like you say he is certainly thriving at the moment.  If that will turn into votes at some point in the future I'm not so sure.  

• Like 1