• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Quirky Quinn

Quinn dreams of the Mountains

28 minutes ago, Quirky Quinn said:

Well.  It will be, for me, Deffy wisdom forever!  

I haven't come across Haruki Murakami before but I might add him to the reading list which seems to get longer and longer!

I bloody love him. 

My fave isnt a novel, its a memoir by him, he writes about his interest and participation in long-distance running.

It is just written so wonderfully. So much passion and heart and its funny as well. He is so interesting and cool. 

411Jyo32ByL.jpg

• Like 4

On 5/15/2020 at 3:30 AM, Salinger said:

I bloody love him. 

My fave isnt a novel, its a memoir by him, he writes about his interest and participation in long-distance running.

It is just written so wonderfully. So much passion and heart and its funny as well. He is so interesting and cool. 

Oh, I've heard of Murakami but was under the impression he was just a pretentious literary fiction writer - not exactly my cup of tea. But this sounds like a super cool book, so on to my Goodreads "TBR" list it goes! Thanks for the recommendation! 

• Like 2

On 5/13/2020 at 3:13 PM, Quirky Quinn said:

Thanks Min, it's not any great insight or revelation but it seems to be working for me (to an extent).  However I don't want to shout and scream about this new productive method and kill it, I've done that before.  I'll just keep blowing on the embers until it's a fully fledged flame and I have the data to back up what I'm doing...

Haha I know what you mean. I do the same thing too! and usually its not a big insight or revolution for me either. I think what I meant is I'm excited to celebrate whichever conclusion you come to, whether it works or doesn't work for you, because that's a step forward. At least for me I'm usually excited when I come to a realisation, even if its small haha.

On 5/13/2020 at 3:25 PM, Quirky Quinn said:

MrsQ made some progress with LQ yesterday with school work and she read a whole book by herself!  It feels like a milestone has been passed!  So we were supersupportive and made a big deal out of it. That meant she got to pick tea which, those of you who have followed previous challenges will know, means potato waffles, beans and sausage roll followed by icecream!  I secretly love it when LQ gets to choose tea!

So lovely!!! She must be feeling so proud of herself :)

On 5/14/2020 at 3:33 PM, Quirky Quinn said:

This challenge has been about experiencing things that I can't experience just now, but also about slowing down and appreciating the now a little bit more.  Yes, I'm stuck in place physically but that doesn't mean I need to be stuck in place in other ways. 

I like this. We don't need to be stuck in other ways. 

• Like 2

Friday, Saturday & Sunday!

I'm not sure what happened over the last few days but I think I turned into a slug!

I missed my run on Thursday and I thought, no big deal, I'll get out on Friday and walk on the weekend.  But, of course, I didn't.  On Friday I had plans to go out after finishing work but MrsQ had made a chili chicken Balti and I wasn't leaving the house when it smelled as good as that! 

On Saturday we took advantage of the slightly relaxed lockdown rules and drove into the Yorkshire dales, found a lovely, deserted spot at the bottom of a beautiful looking hill and had a nice picnic.  It was great to be out of the house as a family and I enjoyed it but there was no chance I was getting up that hill.  The weather was not so great with cloud cover and a chilly wind so MRSQ & LQ wanted to get back into the car, they did.  I stubbornly stayed outside and read I enjoyed it but did not move from the spot!  In the evening we had pizza and showed LQ Alice in Wonderland for the first time, I think she was sufficiently weirded out!  

I was wondering what peoples thoughts were on something - I want to start reading "proper books" to LQ.  Like Roald Dahl or Lewis Caroll or even JK Rowling.  At the moment we read children's books in the sense of a few pages of big type text and lot's of pictures.  My question is, if I start too early am I in danger of turning her off this type of thing in the long run?

On Sunday I did the weekly shop and then when I got home had my shopping reward bacon butty!  Then I played with LQ whilst MrsQ had some self care time.  Later on we had a Turkey Roast and then in the evening we finished Last Kingdom, which I enjoyed.  I also finished my book.  I did not do any exercise!

I was feeling a bit agitated Sunday, which I am aware is a result of not getting out to exercise I think.  I am also feeling a bit like if I don't get myself back on track some of the progress I have made since last August will start to disappear during this lockdown so this morning I've added a 20 minute bodyweight strength workout to my routine.  I went out into the garden and burpeed, squatted, press uped and starjumped in bare feet and I feel better already.  

Todays other tasks will be to be nice and productive at work in preparation for my week off next week and to eat well and run later.  I still need to get up those mountains!

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Quirky Quinn said:

I was wondering what peoples thoughts were on something - I want to start reading "proper books" to LQ.  Like Roald Dahl or Lewis Caroll or even JK Rowling.  At the moment we read children's books in the sense of a few pages of big type text and lot's of pictures.  My question is, if I start too early am I in danger of turning her off this type of thing in the long run?

Remind me, how old LQ is?

My boys (10 and 6 at the moment) both enjoy Harry potter read to them (older one even reads parts by himself), they loved LotR and Hobbit, Silmarillion was too weird in some places, but they enjoyed most parts - even year or two back. Plus - the time spent with them AND a good book: priceless :) 

IMO if you don't shun "childrens' books" as a whole, it should be okay. Introducing "real" literature is like forging your kids' music taste. Respect what they like, but introduce things you find valuable. For example - my boys listen Moana OST and Europe "Final Countdown" interchangeably, throwing in Baby Shark (Doo Doo Doo) from time to time :) 

Kids' books have this addicting for younger readers thing - they are colorful and easy in reception (and always moral of the story i right in front of their noses). I highly doubt LQ would pass on that in favor of pictureless books filled with only bunch of small letters. But read her "proper books", discuss what happens there, ask her how she sees characters, places and situations. This will force her to think, and thinking is always a good idea :D 

• Like 4

18 hours ago, aramis said:

Remind me, how old LQ is?

My boys (10 and 6 at the moment) both enjoy Harry potter read to them (older one even reads parts by himself), they loved LotR and Hobbit, Silmarillion was too weird in some places, but they enjoyed most parts - even year or two back. Plus - the time spent with them AND a good book: priceless :) 

IMO if you don't shun "childrens' books" as a whole, it should be okay. Introducing "real" literature is like forging your kids' music taste. Respect what they like, but introduce things you find valuable. For example - my boys listen Moana OST and Europe "Final Countdown" interchangeably, throwing in Baby Shark (Doo Doo Doo) from time to time :) 

Kids' books have this addicting for younger readers thing - they are colorful and easy in reception (and always moral of the story i right in front of their noses). I highly doubt LQ would pass on that in favor of pictureless books filled with only bunch of small letters. But read her "proper books", discuss what happens there, ask her how she sees characters, places and situations. This will force her to think, and thinking is always a good idea :D 

She's 4.  I might give it a go but not a t bedtime so we can still, as you say Aramis, not discount the other type of book.  It'll be interesting to see if she'll sit down and listen for more than 5 minutes, but 5 minutes might be enough!

We'll see and thanks for your advice!

• Like 1

Monday

As I mentioned I did a short body weight workout in the garden in the morning which I think really helped set up the day.  I felt loads better just for doing something after a fairly sedentary weekend.  When I got back inside and had breakfasted and showered I sat down to a day of meetings and admin at work which was ok, but I have some things to get moving with and it felt like a missed opportunity.  I did learn some interesting stuff in the meetings and chatted to a few people who I haven't for a while so all good.

I ate lunch at my desk whilst in a meeting and finished up about 4.  I went off to play with LQ for a couple of hours whilst MrsQ got some down time and then made dinner.  We had burritos which were excellent.

In the evening I was due out for a run but the rain and wind made me not want to get out.  So I read a little of my book and watched a film.  I need to step things up again if I'm going to make it up these mountains this challenge!

I'll get out tonight and then assess where I am up to, although I've been stuck in place since last Thursday I'm  going to post a picture of my next destination as motivation!

See the source image

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, Quirky Quinn said:

if she'll sit down and listen for more than 5 minutes

If she's anything like my boys, she'll at least enjoy attention and time spent with her. But being 4 is IMO enough to grasp at least overall idea of plot of the books in question. 

5 minutes ago, Quirky Quinn said:

picture of my next destination as motivation!

That's quite a loads of motivation - beautiful!

• Like 1

Yesterday was a day.

I had to go into the office!!! I had to pick up a few bits and conduct a tour of the site with the landlord and also then have some face to face time with some other people around the business.  It was all done very respectfully and with distancing in mind but I still felt quite vulnerable in that situation.  It was also eerie in the office with so few people there.

Anyway that meant that I had to spend two hours in the car (one hour to the office and another back).  And although I don't mind my commute and generally enjoy the down time it gives me in a very busy day (at work and home) I really noticed that I didn't have those two hours in my day.  I've been working hard to get my lockdown routine as lockedin as possible and I'm just about getting there which means that the time I would normally be doing my morning exercise and  updating here just disappeared on me!  I need to factor that in whenever we do start to head back into the office on a more regular basis.

Anyway, the day was busy and I felt the meetings I had were fruitful and worthwhile.  And I enjoyed spending some time with LQ & MrsQ in the garden in the glorious weather when I got home.

For dinner we had left over burritos which were good and in the evening I played some chess and watched a bit of TV.  I am on holiday next week and I'm planning to get some long walks in on at least a couple of days so I need to get out and prepare for those!

• Like 5

Hey everyone,

I've not been on in the last few days, I've been stewing in my own furious outrage and utter contempt for the people who "run" our country.

How dare they preach one thing and do something completely different.  How dare they not care one jot for the lives and welfare of the people they are attempting to govern.  How dare they blatantly lie about what the advice they gave said and make up bullshit about interpretation.

I've been in a pretty bad place with all this.  I realise that I shouldn't let it bother me and that it is something way outside my control.  But I'm just fed up and angry and this is the staw that broke the camels back.. When I talk to family about it there is indifference and that makes me more angry.

Breathe, Quinn, Breathe...

I have not done much in the way of exercise the last few days.  I need to get out for a walk and clear my head I think.  Some solitude and fresh air will do me well I know.  

I'm on holiday this week and I need to get over all this before it engulfs my week off.  

Breathe..

• Like 5

Hey QQ, totally agree with you, its sickening, frustrating, and a total piss take. We are being taken for mugs :(

Hope you can get out and clear your head. Nice weather today. Sending love xx

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Quirky Quinn said:

I've not been on in the last few days, I've been stewing in my own furious outrage and utter contempt for the people who "run" our country.

How dare they preach one thing and do something completely different.  How dare they not care one jot for the lives and welfare of the people they are attempting to govern.  How dare they blatantly lie about what the advice they gave said and make up bullshit about interpretation.

I've been in a pretty bad place with all this.  I realise that I shouldn't let it bother me and that it is something way outside my control.  But I'm just fed up and angry and this is the staw that broke the camels back.. When I talk to family about it there is indifference and that makes me more angry.

Breathe, Quinn, Breathe...

I am right there with you, just on the other side of the Atlantic.  like WTF.  It's straight madness.  Our president is a Twitter troll.

• Like 4

Your feelings are valid, QQ, and there's nothing at all wrong with feeling this way. Our governments' response to the pandemic can and will have direct impacts on people we care about, and it's perfectly natural we should have deep feelings about what they're doing. Don't be too hard on yourself if you can help it.  :)  These feelings show you care about people and that's a very good thing!!

I hope you got your walk and you're feeling a little clearer today!  :) 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Salinger said:

Hey QQ, totally agree with you, its sickening, frustrating, and a total piss take. We are being taken for mugs :(

Hope you can get out and clear your head. Nice weather today. Sending love xx

Thanks Sal, yes.  I think we are being taken for mugs, especially after that nonsense yesterday!

13 hours ago, Novaurora said:

I am right there with you, just on the other side of the Atlantic.  like WTF.  It's straight madness.  Our president is a Twitter troll.

Yeah - I don’t envy you guys.  At least we can all emphasise with each other over our shitty leaders!  Thanks Nova!

12 hours ago, SkyGirl said:

Your feelings are valid, QQ, and there's nothing at all wrong with feeling this way. Our governments' response to the pandemic can and will have direct impacts on people we care about, and it's perfectly natural we should have deep feelings about what they're doing. Don't be too hard on yourself if you can help it.  :)  These feelings show you care about people and that's a very good thing!!

I hope you got your walk and you're feeling a little clearer today!  :) 

Thanks Sky.  I think I’d been doing a good job at avoiding the worst of the mess our leaders had created and had actively taken steps to mitigate their impact on my and my families lives but the news that they blatently skirted around the rules they set for the rest of us really got the better of me.

• Like 1

Oh man,  I was angry when I sat down yesterday wasn’t I!

As I said above, although I’d been keeping on top of the whole global pandemic and the UK Govt response to it I’d actively taken steps to not get drawn into the party political side of things.  I’d deleted the twitter app off my phone.  I’d stopped listening to the Today program in the morning and I’d shut down most political discussion that I was getting drawn into.  I think that was a good move and my lockdown, which has been full of challenges, at least wasn’t’t full of political Angst as well.

However, when over the weekend it emerged that essentially the UK PrimeMinisters Chief of Staff had broken the lockdown he helped create the rules for by travelling the length of the country whilst ill, with a child in the car and set up shop in a building in his parents complex, even ending up in a local hospital it made me angry.

I spent the weekend devouring the story, watching 24 hour news talking heads reporting and arguing with anyone who would listen and didn’t agree.  It was not good.

I thought that when I sat down here to write up the last few days I had calmed down a bit but obviously not based on my post above!  

Anyway, I had a nice day yesterday, the first of my weeks holiday.  

In the morning I chilled out and enjoyed a coffee and the morning sun and discussed with MrsQ the pizza oven idea we’d had for the garden (after reading Sals thread) and we agreed we would go ahead and get one but only after tidying the garden which is feeling a little overgrown and if we’re going to enjoy more meals out there it needs to be nice and tidy.  (I actually think what happened is that MrsQ wanted me to do some work in the garden and used her smarts to get me to think it was my idea!  She’s an actual Jedi I think!)

So I spent the day gardening.  I weeding, clearing, mowing, moving and washing.  It’s looking good out there but will probably need a second day at it today if we are going to get it looking proper.  I don’t mind if the weather holds up again.  Although I need to dig out the sun cream as I am burnt this morning!

I stopped around 4 to watch the Cummings interview & statement which made me mad again but I tried to put it to one side.

I played with LQ for a little while before bed, she’d been desperate for me to join her on the trampoline all day but I kept putting her off so I enjoyed playing and bouncing on there - I think it helped put the other stuff out of my mind.

In the evening we watched a film called Inside Man which is a Spike Lee film about a bank robbery.  I love Spike Lee films, they’re always so wonderfully paced!

Today I’ll be in the garden again and on Wednesday I’ll be out for a walk!  Maybe I’ll go to some bluebell woods..

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Quirky Quinn said:

I’d actively taken steps to not get drawn into the party political side of things.

I've always thought this argument was raised exactly the evade the kind of scrutiny they are getting now. It is political. It has always been political. 

1 hour ago, Quirky Quinn said:

(I actually think what happened is that MrsQ wanted me to do some work in the garden and used her smarts to get me to think it was my idea!  She’s an actual Jedi I think!)

Classic ;) 

Enjoy your gardening day :)

• Like 2

there's nothing that reminds me MORE on how small and insignificant us "humans" are then the mountains and the woods. do the birds care for the stupid craziness of prime ministers and presidents? 

NO

they mock our petty weird obsession about the potency if our supposed power and privilege.  

moreover, somehow being out in the beauty of nature and its potent simplicity grounds me. it reminds me that survival is what matters; and that having a good meal and a warm place to sleep is the true aim of every creature under the sky- and to put it simply; oh how privileged I am to have both.  whatever human complexity and craziness happens.

anyways.  I don't know if this is good advice or not; but I see you've been gardening and possibly a walk?

that sounds like great therapy for getting past the outrage of government;  and Yes.

they are many people on the other side of the atlantic at times struggling with it as well.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, deftona said:

I've always thought this argument was raised exactly the evade the kind of scrutiny they are getting now. It is political. It has always been political. 

Classic ;) 

Enjoy your gardening day :)

Yeah, I think you’re right. I mean I certainly wasn’t trying to let anyone off the hook for this shitshow but at the same time, for my own sanity I’d taken a step back from some of the things that actively enrage me.  Somehow they still managed to enrage me so I guess I failed (or they succeeded, depending on how you look at it!)

Thanks!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TGP said:

there's nothing that reminds me MORE on how small and insignificant us "humans" are then the mountains and the woods. do the birds care for the stupid craziness of prime ministers and presidents? 

NO

they mock our petty weird obsession about the potency if our supposed power and privilege.  

moreover, somehow being out in the beauty of nature and its potent simplicity grounds me. it reminds me that survival is what matters; and that having a good meal and a warm place to sleep is the true aim of every creature under the sky- and to put it simply; oh how privileged I am to have both.  whatever human complexity and craziness happens.

anyways.  I don't know if this is good advice or not; but I see you've been gardening and possibly a walk?

that sounds like great therapy for getting past the outrage of government;  and Yes.

they are many people on the other side of the atlantic at times struggling with it as well.

Yes I think you’re right TGP!

Being outside always grounds me.  In the garden or on a walk, it gives me time to think and clear my head of garbage.  

I’ve spent the last two days gardening and today we’re heading out for a picnic, on Friday I’ll disappear off on my own and do a all day hike somewhere.  I am definitely taking advantage of some time off work and also the better weather!

Tuesday

As planned I spent yesterday in the garden.  I dug out a produce patch that had become a little over grown by mint and rosemary and gave the strawberries & raspberries on there a little bit of a better change to grow and then I spent a couple of hours edging the lawn weeding out under the apple tree.  The weather wasn’t quite a s good yesterday and there was a decent amount of cloud cover which I guess was a blessing really!  

The garden is looking much better so last night we sat down and ordered our pizza oven and outside table.

image.jpeg.02b02bd82ce19c24a68d7a40ccb066ae.jpeg

image.jpeg.06545ffee85c5dc82ae788e1f0a39047.jpeg

I am very excited for them to come and hope to be in the garden making pizza by some point next week!  Well worth a few days hard labour!

Today we are going to act like it is actually a holiday and head out for walk and picnic, hopefully LQ will have some fun!

I also watched Matt Hancock, our Health Secretary get his arse handed to him by a priest named Martin during our daily briefing which I thought was great.     

• Like 5

22 minutes ago, Quirky Quinn said:

I also watched Matt Hancock, our Health Secretary get his arse handed to him by a priest named Martin during our daily briefing which I thought was great.    

Spoiler

I love how the initial response still wasn't to condemn Cummings' actions, but instead was to agree to RETROACTIVELY REFUND ALL THE FINES. Just baffling. This dude really knows where the bodies are buried. 

Enjoy your pizza oven! It's a great idea! 

• Like 2

It sounds like you had a stressful time the past week! Relaxing to pizza in a beautiful garden sounds quite the ticket to just relaxing... What kind of pizza was it?

• Like 1