Quinn dreams of the Mountains

I had a nice weekend, Friday was a busy work day.  But when it finished I spent a few hours playing with LQ in the garden before the rain started over the weekend, then when she'd gone to bed we watched one of my favourite films which appeared on Netflix over the weekend..

Hubbs Movie Reviews: Guest House Paradiso (UK, 1999)

Guest House Paradiso!

On Saturday we had a fairly chilled out day, I did the weekly shop and rewarded myself with bacon.  I played some chess and in the evening the sun made an appearance so we got the pizza oven out (of course we did) and made some pretty awesome pizzas!  

On Sunday my parents came over to our neck of the woods and them LQ and I went for a walk in the woods at the back of town which was nice!  When we got back MrsQ had a roast ready on the table.  

In the evening we watched The 13th on Netflix which was very good and laid out the systematic and prolonged racial issues that have led us to where we are now.   

• Like 4

Yesterday, what happened yesterday??

I was back at work after a nice weekend and came up to my office in the spare room about 7.30 and after updating and catching up you guys I worked straight through until 4.30 (stopping for some lunch about 12.30).  Work was fine, lots going on at the moment but I'm still finding it fairly difficult to get any real traction on anything from home.  I think I'm going to start heading to the office a day or two a week when LQ goes back to school next week.

After work I spent some time with LQ and played some chess.  We had burritos for tea and then after bath time MrsQ and I chatted and watched Veep until about 10.30 and then went to bed!

Shoveling that snow...

• Like 6

Yesterday was more of the same really, I've definitely settled back into a routine since my holiday.

I did have a couple of really interesting conversations one with a mentor group I'm part of where we all sit (virtually) together and discuss professional/business issues we're having at the moment.  It's nice to have these types of things to get a perspective on how we're doing things and perhaps get some wider context of how others are handling our shit show world right now.  And another conversation which was interesting professionally but will have to remain under wraps for now..

I ate well again, I've been much better this week and the shops open on Monday so I can go out and get some new runners and get out again, that's the next step.

I need to get back to exercising..

In the evening we watched John Oliver, which was depressing but very good. He essentially reinforced the views in the film we watched at the weekend.  But at the end of the show he had a video of a woman called Kimberly Jones.  It was so powerful, he showed the last 1.30m but the whole clip is just over 6 minutes long, I found it on YouTube this morning. 

She is so powerful, raw, angry and sad.  Articulate, clear and reasoned.  She is a leader and I hope she gets a larger platform after all this. 

She has co-authored a book called "I'm not dying with you tonight" which I've bought and am looking forward to reading. 

The full video is here;

• Like 2

That video is amazing. 

And for all the people that say protesting and rioting isn't the right way forward we only have to look to Bristol, and how long the residents have been arguing for the removal of the Colston statue. Forty years of debate and nothing is achieved. One weekend of protesting, tearing down the statue and throwing it into the river and already there is a world wide conversation about the kinds of people we have memorialised, London is looking at all their statues and renaming streets named after prominent people who made their wealth through the slave trade and this conversation has spread to every corner of the western world. 

Protesting works. It always has. Rights have rarely been given freely, they have to be demanded. 

• Like 4

I'm more than adequate. Leave Kanye out of this. 

Profile picture credit : NF's resident super artist - NinjaKitten

20 hours ago, deftona said:

That video is amazing. 

And for all the people that say protesting and rioting isn't the right way forward we only have to look to Bristol, and how long the residents have been arguing for the removal of the Colston statue. Forty years of debate and nothing is achieved. One weekend of protesting, tearing down the statue and throwing it into the river and already there is a world wide conversation about the kinds of people we have memorialised, London is looking at all their statues and renaming streets named after prominent people who made their wealth through the slave trade and this conversation has spread to every corner of the western world. 

Protesting works. It always has. Rights have rarely been given freely, they have to be demanded. 

Yeah definitely, I have been looking for a half remembered quote that seems relevant here along the lines of,

"You don't get what you deserve, you get what you fight for" but the closest I could come was this from Peaky Blinders

Peaky Blinders Quotes added a new photo. - Peaky Blinders Quotes ...

Not quite the same sentiment but apt I think.

I think the way tearing down that statue in Bristol has kicked off a debate across the world is inspiring.  Sometimes making noise and is the only way to be heard.

• Like 3

Workwise I had a productive morning yesterday and then in the afternoon I had a meeting from 1.30 through to 4 which kind of meant I was a little behind myself by the time the end of the day came but not to worry, loads of time to catch up today.

In the evening we had left over Burritos for tea and I played with LQ for a little while before sending her off up to bed.

I played a little chess in the evening and I'm on a good streak at the moment, I've been playing now pretty much at least one game per day since lock down began and I'm making some really good progress, my rating is up to 1077 from 750 in April and I'm starting to appreciate some more of the intricacies of some of the positions I find myself in.  A long way to go before grand master status but rated higher than my brother will do for now!

After LQ went to bed we watched some Veep and chilled out, we may have gone on a snack odyssey!  I'm not sure why other than out of complete and utter boredom.

Oh well start again today!

• Like 3

Well, this challenge started of with the best of intentions and unfortunately seemed to fall by the wayside a little.  In terms of my walk plan I managed the distance but I was nowhere near on the height.

We are coming off the back of the last two challenges being in the strangest 12 weeks of my life and  I’m going to forgive myself for being inconsistent.

I’m still dreaming of the mountains, provisionally they open up in the middle of July and I hope I get chance to head out then!

image.jpeg.59378eb8badaeb76982e70a7921205b7.jpeg

• Like 6
On 6/14/2020 at 4:50 PM, Quirky Quinn said:

We are coming off the back of the last two challenges being in the strangest 12 weeks of my life and  I’m going to forgive myself for being inconsistent.

Life has been strange hasn't it? Hoping you do get the change to see the mountains you wish for! Threepwood will not be beaten! ;D

• Like 1

//Min :: Battle Log 2020 :: Wings of Freedom 1, 2, 3 (current challenge)