• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

loire

» loire channels the lifestream [ff7r style]

I used to get mushrooms in my CSA all the time and I am also very much not a fan. I had three things that I would do with them:

1. Chop them up really fine and mix them with ground beef in a shepherd's pie, chili, etc. Cannot taste them. Honest.

2. Use them when making stock (they make it taste so good somehow).

3. Break off the stems, slice them thinly, and dehydrate them (I just put them on top of my radiator for a day). In this form they powder really easily, so you can add a sprinkle to whatever dish you are making. Enjoy the nutrients without the taste/texture!

This is all for button mushrooms. I cannot vouch for any other kind.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, juliebarkley said:

Cannot taste them. Honest.

I did this the other day and couldn't taste them.  Ghostlet, on the other hand, recognized the flavor on the first bite while Ghostess recognized the scent as soon as she walked in the door.  I guess some people are just way more sensitive about them.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, WhiteGhost said:

I did this the other day and couldn't taste them.  Ghostlet, on the other hand, recognized the flavor on the first bite while Ghostess recognized the scent as soon as she walked in the door.  I guess some people are just way more sensitive about them.

Huh. The smell I can believe. The taste surprises me. Were they button mushrooms? How much did you use? Did you have any other seasonings in the beef? I have eaten mushrooms with such a strong flavour they could never be disguised this way.

Using them in stock, you can smell them while it cooks, but the flavour they give the broth is very different to a msuhroomy flavour. It seems to sort of enhance the other flavours rather than add its own. The dried powder is unnoticeable flavourwise (maybe if you rehydrate it, but I always added it right at the end), and there is no smell at all even during the drying process, if I remember correctly. I can't swear to my memory on that though.

• Like 1

On 5/21/2020 at 9:36 PM, juliebarkley said:

Using them in stock, you can smell them while it cooks, but the flavour they give the broth is very different to a msuhroomy flavour. It seems to sort of enhance the other flavours rather than add its own. 

It's ~umami~

• Like 1

Hiiiii guys, wow it's been a HOT MINUTE huh, geez, sorry about that..... :x

My Plan was great until I started working back at the office full time and WELP there goes any sort of fitness out the window bahahahaaaaa... I'm really really happy to be back in the office though.  Work is going VERY well and I had my annual review a few weeks ago with a nice raise and it's all good there!~

I haven't felt "right" lately though, over the past few weeks now, and it's a hard thing to describe? I feel okay most days but I also feel like something is hovering around my periphery that I can't quite put a finger on.  I know there's a lot of crazy-ass shit going on in the world and that sure doesn't help, but I don't know if that's it? I'm usually pretty resilient with world events. I really only feel happy when I'm at work which may be a nod to my loneliness issues lately, but Finn's also having some (ongoing) medical issues that after a vet visit this week I realized I'm going to have to get a surgical referral for and it's really wrecking me. I'm not an anxious person by any means but anything having to do with him rockets me up to a 20/10 so that's not helping, I had a mini-breakdown this morning but after a GOOD OL CRY I'm feeling a little calmer. I think............. 

A NY WAYS

Uhhhh what else??

I need to FITNESS MORE. I have been getting outside a lot which is great for many reasons but it's definitely not boxing or the gym.  I think the couple of extra pounds on my waistline honestly shouldn't be a concern during *gestures vaguely at the entire world chaos* but, yanno!

I'll try to make an effort to post here more often, even if it's just AAAAAA.  I miss my nerd friends and I hope you all are doing as well as possible with everything going on!! ❤️

• Like 7

Hey Loire love, glad work is good for you plus a raise :D

Not nice to be feeling 'not right' though.... sorry you are lonely, me too :( sending solidarity, love, hope, and lots of hugs xx

• Like 1

2 hours ago, loire said:

Hiiiii guys, wow it's been a HOT MINUTE huh, geez, sorry about that..... :x

My Plan was great until I started working back at the office full time and WELP there goes any sort of fitness out the window bahahahaaaaa... I'm really really happy to be back in the office though.  Work is going VERY well and I had my annual review a few weeks ago with a nice raise and it's all good there!~

I haven't felt "right" lately though, over the past few weeks now, and it's a hard thing to describe? I feel okay most days but I also feel like something is hovering around my periphery that I can't quite put a finger on.  I know there's a lot of crazy-ass shit going on in the world and that sure doesn't help, but I don't know if that's it? I'm usually pretty resilient with world events. I really only feel happy when I'm at work which may be a nod to my loneliness issues lately, but Finn's also having some (ongoing) medical issues that after a vet visit this week I realized I'm going to have to get a surgical referral for and it's really wrecking me. I'm not an anxious person by any means but anything having to do with him rockets me up to a 20/10 so that's not helping, I had a mini-breakdown this morning but after a GOOD OL CRY I'm feeling a little calmer. I think............. 

A NY WAYS

Uhhhh what else??

I need to FITNESS MORE. I have been getting outside a lot which is great for many reasons but it's definitely not boxing or the gym.  I think the couple of extra pounds on my waistline honestly shouldn't be a concern during *gestures vaguely at the entire world chaos* but, yanno!

I'll try to make an effort to post here more often, even if it's just AAAAAA.  I miss my nerd friends and I hope you all are doing as well as possible with everything going on!! ❤️

From what I've seen in my and my loved ones experiences, if you're only happy at work that's usually a combination of 1) loneliness and 2) so much crap going on at home that you don't want to be there so you're happy when you escape. Based on what you said about your kitteh, that could be the problem. I get the impression that Finn has been your buddy for a g e s and facing something happening to him is probably giving you some anxiety and with you not being an anxious person, I can see how long term anxiety could feel wrong. 

Just my 2 cents, hopefully it provides some clarity - even if it just shows you how you're not feeling!

Love and calm coming your way ❤️ 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, loire said:

I feel okay most days but I also feel like something is hovering around my periphery that I can't quite put a finger on

It's entirely possible that

6 hours ago, loire said:

WELP there goes any sort of fitness out the window

has a lot to do with it. 

• Like 1

CONGRATS on the great work review and the raise!! That's awesome that your hard work is getting recognised!!! Well done Loire!

As for Finn, really sorry with what's going on... One step at a time, you got this.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, loire said:

I haven't felt "right" lately though, over the past few weeks now, and it's a hard thing to describe? I feel okay most days but I also feel like something is hovering around my periphery that I can't quite put a finger on.

Ditto. Just, ditto.

And as someone how has problems with texture (I can't eat baked/sauteed eggplant or anything greasy/slimy at all, and pretty much only somewhat cook any vegetable) I love mushrooms. Though they might be different here? With fresh ones you need to wait till all the water evaporates from them for them to be any kind of good in food, so I mostly put them first in the pan, while the other type we use are in jars of... salt water? (I'm too lazy to go check, but some type of preservative, but different from canned ones) And they don't need as much cooking, though I'd never eat them raw. I am the mushroom pizza heathen (seriously, cheese, mushrooms, onion and olives are what I last had on my pizza).

On 6/6/2020 at 6:48 AM, loire said:

I'll try to make an effort to post here more often, even if it's just AAAAAA.

And we will respond with BBBBBB.

• Like 1

Just putting my little Thumbs Up on Tank's suggestion...I'm up to 30 minutes of running and 30 minutes of yoga most days and if I don't, I feel  W E I R D. It's the vague stress all around, at least for me it is. It's the lack of "normalcy." Anyway. Hope your Finn is/becomes okay. ❤️

• Like 3

On 6/6/2020 at 9:48 PM, loire said:

I'm usually pretty resilient with world events.

I would counter-argue that what is happening right now is nothing like regular world events and probably should have its own category.  

• Like 3

15 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

I would counter-argue that what is happening right now is nothing like regular world events and probably should have its own category.  

True, I think things are happening at a scale we haven't seen in our lifetimes. A lot of the disruption that has occurred due to COVID-19 is on a scale that we haven't seen since WWII, which was like 75 years ago.

• Like 1