• Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

Recommended Posts

image.png.997de654a2a133b39eeff576f5934db0.png

 

I've got 7 more weeks to go, theoretically, it could be more or it could be less, and there are still some things I need to do to prepare for Wolvie's arrival, so a great part of the challenge will be focused on that.

 

Goal 1. Prepare Wolvie's arrival.

- Wash crib reducers

- Wash clothes 

- Wash nappies 

- Assemble and attach crib to bed

- Buy the few items still missing 

- Prepare hospital bag

- Prepare questions for my next medical appointment

- Finish writing my labor plan for the hospital (still need to collect some more information on a couple of topics)

- Mental preparation 

 

Goal 2. Be active every day if possible.

- Walking every day

- Spinning babies stretches every day

- Yoga 4-5 days a week

- Try to do at least some short bodyweight workout once a week

 

Goal 3. Stop it with the news.

I need to pay attention to the end of confinement updates, but I don't need to look at my news feed so many times a day.

Every time I feel the itch to open the site, I have first to do some other thing for at least 15 minutes: reading, drawing, practicing icelandic, or playing a game.

  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Exciting times ahead! 
 

Totally agree on the news stuff, I’ve dropped the Twitter app from my phone so I have to consciously pick up another device to open it.  Stops the mindless scrolling to some extent and I definitely feel a little less existential dread as a result! 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Careful there, when I posted similar he showed two days into the challenge XD

 

But seriously, congratulations! You’re almost there! And you’re well ahead of me. I did all that like the day before he was born XD

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That song is going to be in my head for this whole challenge, eh?  Thank you soooooo much! 😂

 

preparing is a good thing. And I like its a part of your challenge! 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Quirky Quinn said:

Exciting times ahead! 
 

Totally agree on the news stuff, I’ve dropped the Twitter app from my phone so I have to consciously pick up another device to open it.  Stops the mindless scrolling to some extent and I definitely feel a little less existential dread as a result! 

Exciting indeed! :)

 

I have developped some kind of addiction to it, otherwise I don't understand. I'm ok with the virus and all that shit, I guess my brain can accept it is a sickness, and sickness is part of life. But I really can't keep looking at the political news.

Spoiler

I read an article from a spanish writer the other day and I think she was accurate when she said the problem with the right wing here is that every time they lose an election they feel (and behave) like the power has been stolen from them, that they should rule the country no matter what (a very common argument they use here is "we won the war, we inherited the country") and so they don't do politics, they will just work on trying to depose government (hence several extreme right wing leaders asking the army to stage a coup these past weeks). With the virus, they have been unable to make any suggestion or back up the government in any decision. They have criticised absolutely everything, to the point of contradicting themselves many times, and when asked directly they've just said: we will fix everything when we win the elections. In the meantime, apparently, if they have any ideas about the crisis, they're keeping them to themselves and letting people die.

 

8 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Following! 

Welcome!

 

8 hours ago, deftona said:

Oh wow, I am so happy Wolvie is almost here!!! :D 

I am a mixed bag of feelings. I'm happy and eager, and at the same time thinking "oh, no, what did I get myself into?" 😅

 

7 hours ago, Ann of Vries said:

Careful there, when I posted similar he showed two days into the challenge XD

 

But seriously, congratulations! You’re almost there! And you’re well ahead of me. I did all that like the day before he was born XD

Really? 😨 I hope that won't happen to me, nonononono

 

Thank you! Well, I have the feeling that it is already the day before and nothing has been done :D

 

6 hours ago, annyshay said:

I can't believe Wolfie's arrival is so soon. Here for all the awesome!

Thanks! Welcome!

 

5 hours ago, Snarkyfishguts said:

That song is going to be in my head for this whole challenge, eh?  Thank you soooooo much! 😂

 

preparing is a good thing. And I like its a part of your challenge! 

Nothing like a good, old earworm 😋

 

I decided to make a goal of it because otherwise I'm not sure I will put the time all those things really need.

 

48 minutes ago, WhiteGhost said:

 

If you didn't before, you do now :P 

 

Following!

 

To be honest, I hadn't heard the full song in ages, so thanks!

 

Welcome aboard!

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, WhiteGhost said:

If you didn't before, you do now :P 

I got up off bed because I understood I wasn't going to sleep anymore, so I sat and listened to it while having a very early breakfast, and I ended up tangled in a series of songs earworms from the eighties... I should post all the videos here in revenge, but I'll be nice (🎵radio killed the radio star, radio killed the radio star, radio killed the radio star, radio killed the radio star,radio killed the radio star 🎶)

 

3 minutes ago, Chris Tarly said:

I'll see your final countdown, and raise you a...

Ok, it's on:

And, oh, well, HI!

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, zenLara said:

I read an article from a spanish writer the other day and I think she was accurate when she said the problem with the right wing here is that every time they lose an election they feel (and behave) like the power has been stolen from them, that they should rule the country no matter what (a very common argument they use here is "we won the war, we inherited the country") and so they don't do politics, they will just work on trying to depose government (hence several extreme right wing leaders asking the army to stage a coup these past weeks).

 

Spoiler

It's a thing about right wingers because here the rhetoric is "we won the election, now stop asking he government difficult questions and just rally blindly behind them because the left lost waa waa". We even have celebrities sharing statements on social media telling the media not to be negative and report good news only around the Coronavirus crisis. Because that's what journalism is. 

 

Seriously, we need to create an island of politically displaced, nerdy Europeans. Can it be somewhere hot though please? Sort us out with somewhere in the Canaries, Lara. 

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, deftona said:

 

  Hide contents

It's a thing about right wingers because here the rhetoric is "we won the election, now stop asking he government difficult questions and just rally blindly behind them because the left lost waa waa". We even have celebrities sharing statements on social media telling the media not to be negative and report good news only around the Coronavirus crisis. Because that's what journalism is. 

 

Seriously, we need to create an island of politically displaced, nerdy Europeans. Can it be somewhere hot though please? Sort us out with somewhere in the Canaries, Lara. 

 

 

Corfu?  I recon they'd let us have it if we asked nicely!

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Quirky Quinn said:

Corfu?  I recon they'd let us have it if we asked nicely!

 

Really? I can't imagine there is a single corner of Europe we haven't pissed off as Brits. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, zenLara said:

Really? 😨 I hope that won't happen to me, nonononono

 

Thank you! Well, I have the feeling that it is already the day before and nothing has been done :D

 

To be fair, it was an urgent induction (but not an emergency one*) as they’d found some concerning issues on a late pregnancy scan so I was give a day to prepare before things kicked off XD And had to get a LOT got done in that time...!

 

(*I learned later that if it had been the other triage doctor it would have been done immediately, so small blessings I guess.)

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, deftona said:

Sort us out with somewhere in the Canaries, Lara.

 

1 hour ago, Quirky Quinn said:

Corfu?  I recon they'd let us have it if we asked nicely!

I say are we nerds or what? We should build our own island.

 

1 hour ago, deftona said:

Really? I can't imagine there is a single corner of Europe we haven't pissed off as Brits. 

I think if we go far back enough everybody has already pissed everybody else...

 

29 minutes ago, Ann of Vries said:

 

To be fair, it was an urgent induction (but not an emergency one*) as they’d found some concerning issues on a late pregnancy scan so I was give a day to prepare before things kicked off XD And had to get a LOT got done in that time...!

 

(*I learned later that if it had been the other triage doctor it would have been done immediately, so small blessings I guess.)

Oh, wow, sounds a bit scary. But for what I know everything went fine, right? I mean, I seen the pictures of that lovely kid you carry on your walks :)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As I said, I woke up early. Well, 4am doesn't even fit my definition of early, I would rather say late. What woke me up was an intense, sharp, stabbing pain in my lower abdomen, that took a few minutes to disappear no matter how deep I breathed. Wolvie was moving a lot, and I could feel that stabbing (but less intense) pain again every time she did something with her hands. I don't know what it was, felt like she was kneading and twisting my intestines... with a knife. Maybe she just found out about her Wolverine claws and was having fun with them?

I got up of bed around 5am and had breakfast, but when I layed down to sleep again, something was wrong. I was feeling more and more anxious, til the point I couldn't breath. I thought I was having an anxiety attack (for what reason? I haven't had them in ages), so I sat up and tried to breath and say some affirmations. That's when I understood what was happening was chickpea was strongly kicking my stomach, and she kept doing it until my stomach said "ok, we're done" and I run to the bathroom and threw up breakfast.

Aftewards she got quiet and I was feeling really good (thanks, dear opioids!) and could sleep. Woke up again a while ago, and found plenty of messages in my phone when I switched it on. Apparently, weekend has somehow sneaked away and I still have a job and all that.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, annyshay said:

Sounds unpleasant (to say the least), but I'm hoping your day goes better from now on.

Thanks, yes, it wasn't nice. Luckily these things seem to go as fast as they come, and I'm up and eating. Everything seems fine. Maybe I just ate too much breakfast and Wolvie was happy to have this little ball invading her space so she could play with it (probaly my stomach thinks she is the one invading its space, but that's a story for another day...)

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, zenLara said:

Oh, wow, sounds a bit scary. But for what I know everything went fine, right? I mean, I seen the pictures of that lovely kid you carry on your walks :)

 

Turned out fine. I had almost no waters at the scan, but Enting was still healthy so the doctor didn’t panic. They would have let me try to carry to term, but I would have had to come to the hospital for daily baby health monitoring and do temperature checks at home like every 4 hours (in case of infection) and suchlike and it seemed easier just to have the baby now and call it done XD As it turned out, I started into labour a few hours after the first induction attempt, which is shockingly fast (the midwife suspected at that point I would have naturally gone into labour soon anyway), and he was born about 20 hours later hale and hearty.  

 

As far as pregnancy stories go, I personally found it quite scary at the time because it was my first and only hospital experience, but compared to other people’s hospital pregnancy stories it was nothing serious and I’m planning to have more (and so are those other people) so it hasn’t put us off much :) 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Ann of Vries said:

compared to other people’s hospital pregnancy stories it was nothing serious

Yes, it sounds just like a small complication, considering how wrong things can go some times, although I can understand how at that moment it probably didn't feel like "nothing serious".

About the horror stories, I'm really thankful to the confinement, since it has also isolated me from people's tales. I mean, it's ok for them to want to share their stories, but it's just not something I want to hear right now. I have enough having to deal with my own fears.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, zenLara said:

About the horror stories, I'm really thankful to the confinement, since it has also isolated me from people's tales. I mean, it's ok for them to want to share their stories, but it's just not something I want to hear right now. I have enough having to deal with my own fears.

 

My childbirth group had a pact that we were not allowed to tell our birthing stories until *after* everyone had had their baby as to not scare the ones who hadn’t yet.

 

I figured it was okay to tell you what I told you because it wasn’t that scary, despite complications, and had a happy ending :) 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you would ever like some non-complicated birthing stories, I am happy to share mine.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ann of Vries said:

 

My childbirth group had a pact that we were not allowed to tell our birthing stories until *after* everyone had had their baby as to not scare the ones who hadn’t yet.

 

I figured it was okay to tell you what I told you because it wasn’t that scary, despite complications, and had a happy ending :) 

That was a great pact.

No, your story wasn't anything I would qualify as horror story at all :)

 

13 minutes ago, Sylvaa said:

If you would ever like some non-complicated birthing stories, I am happy to share mine.

That would be nice, indeed. Because apparently nice birthing stories are scarce. Thanks :)

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, zenLara said:

That would be nice, indeed. Because apparently nice birthing stories are scarce. Thanks :)

 

My son:

I actually worked that morning (he was about 2 weeks early, so it wasn't super weird), and had been having some pretty bad back pain. I called the doctor and they gave me some at home things to try, but ended up having me come in because nothing was really working. When I got to the office, I got hooked up to a monitor, which showed small contractions, but still nothing worth mentioning, however they decided to check to see if I was dilated. Surprise! 3cm. 

 

I had driven myself to the office, so I was given the choice of either driving myself to the hospital (it was a 5 minute drive), or being taken in an ambulance. I called my family, hopped in the car, and with my doctor following me, drove to the hospital. Side note: the doctor yelled at me in the parking lot for looking for a parking space - she had me drive up to the ED and a security guard took my car to park.

 

My water hadn't broken or anything, so I waited for everyone to show up before they did so. My back continued to hurt, but it wasn't really unmanageable. They broke my water, I pushed for a few minutes (6), and my son was born. 

 

My daughter:

I also had back labor with my daughter. I did wait a bit longer to go to the hospital (my bf's mother worked overnight at the time and I was waiting for her to wake up before we left), and she was actually afraid I wouldn't make it to the hospital as I said "ouch" in the car. Got to the hospital (same doctor), broke my water (see the pattern?), pushed a few minutes, and boom! baby. 

 

Both cases, everyone was healthy the whole way through, no birth complications, pretty easy process. 🙂 

  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.