A new sprout peeks up....

Zaphine

Checking in, as this challenge draws to an end.  My current status on each of these is in green.  

Here's what I said I would do:

Daily activities (at least 6 days/week)

• Walk, at least 10 minutes, preferably outside (aiming for >5000 steps/day).  Pause to savor the nature. 
    • Since the beginning of May, I've met that goal 50% of the time, basically every other week.  There have been individual days where I've hit 5,000 steps (and one where I hit 11,000!), but I haven't averaged 5,000 steps in any week.  I've taken pictures with my phone, posted pictures of nature to Facebook and here, and taken the time to enjoy outdoors.  
  • Meditate (finishing up the 21 Days of Calm right now, will explore after that)
    • Since the beginning of May, I've meditated all but 4 days, which I'm very happy about.  I finished the 21 days of Calm on my app, have experimented a little, and have seemingly settled into the daily Calm meditation. 
  • Druid Thang (yoga, Tai Chi, bellydancing -- I multiclass into Bard)
    • I did yoga 13 days out of the last 39 days.  Plus one day of Tai Chi, two days of parkour, and one day of bellydancing.  This is the easiest place to skip, but a place that I really think makes a difference to my well-being.
  • Social thang (World of Warcraft with friends, socializing via Zoom/Skype, walk with a socially-distanced buddy, phone call with family)
    • Slam dunk!  I accomplished the goal of 6 days a week without too much difficulty.
  • Sing or dance (did I mention that I multiclass into Bard?)
    • Eventual success!  I started reminding myself to sing, and it now is pretty normalized.  

Weekly activities

• Hobbit Hole improvement (make my workspace more ergonomic, make my balcony a better treehouse retreat, etc)
    • Progress!  I have an adjustable standing desk now and have started getting used to it.  I have bought plants and a comfy chair to make my balcony more inviting.  
  • Some bigger clean (take out garbage/recycling, clean bathroom, etc.)
    • I've managed to stay ahead of entropy, but I haven't done the weekly "bigger clean" that I meant to do.  

Grasping the Nettle (things I really need to get done but don't wanna do -- and it will feel SO GOOD to have them behind me)

• Do my damn taxes at some point this month
    • Not done.  I sat down to do my first thinking about it today and realized I need to go into my office in order to even view/print my W-2.  I'll do that later today.
  • Set up my 403(b) at work
    • Barely even considered.  *sigh*

Overall assessment -- this is the most successful of the three NF Forum challenges I've done.  I've really enjoyed my time here in the Druids forum and the concentration on yoga and meditation rather than strength or speed.  I don't intend to abandon any of these quests going forward.  

Right now, time goes by so fast.  I don't know how it's June already.  I had thought I would be bored staying at home so much, but I'm really not.  This has taught me how to appreciate my own company and living small in a way I didn't think I could, my own version of a monastic routine.  

Lessons Learned:  

• At least right now, a yoga routine that I can do at any time works far better for me than a scheduled class.  While the intention was there to do the work, the actual execution floated around my schedule as needed, based on other activities, the weather, my mood, how I was feeling in my body.  
  • It would be good to have some non-NF yoga videos cued up so that I can do them without much searching and deciding.  When I've got the urge to work out is not the moment to thoughtfully consider which of a hundred options I want to do.  
  • Doing a routine of any sort is the base goal.  Pushing to do harder routines can be demoralizing and non-productive.  I need to feel an innate good out of the work for continued success.
  • I like meditating.  I should keep that up.  I'd seem to have more skill at mindfulness than concentration -- I'd like to work on my skills in concentration and focus, as well as to expore different types of meditation.  
  • Sleep really makes a difference.  I can very much tell when I've had a run of days with less sleep than usual.  Sleep should be a priority. 
  • Yeahhhhh, tai chi may be pretty damn hard to learn from a video.  But even taking a few of the individual moves and doing them repeatedly can feel an awful lot like meditation, an innate good thing.  

So that's my thoughts on this one.  Comments?  

• Like 1
  • That's Metal 1

Current challenge:  A New Sprout Peeks Up

RULES OF ENGAGEMENT

1. If you aren't making mistakes, you're not adventuring hard enough.  
  2. The journey has to be innately worth it; achieving the goal is a bonus.  
  3. My perfect weight is the one I achieve when I live the healthiest life I can truly enjoy.

You’ve put in some solid work this challenge - way to go! 

• Like 1

Level 83 Wood Elf Druid

Druid: || 59 | 60 | 61 | 61.5 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81 | 82 | 83 ||

Ranger: || 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 ||

||Char/RPG||
STR: 57 || DEX: 59 || STA: 52 || CON: 47 || WIS: 59 || CHA: 59

6 hours ago, darkfoxx said:

You’ve put in some solid work this challenge - way to go! 

Thank you!

RULES OF ENGAGEMENT

3. My perfect weight is the one I achieve when I live the healthiest life I can truly enjoy.

On 6/8/2020 at 12:35 PM, Zaphine said:

So that's my thoughts on this one.  Comments?

Looks like you did very well in the daily section, less well in the other two sections. I have found that in my own challenges, I either do great at the habit-building daily items and fail the goal-based ones, or vice versa. Looks like you might be the same. :) My working theory is that they use different kinds of mental focus, which makes it hard to work on both simultaneously.

It also looks like you've found some things (yoga, meditation, tai chi) that are working really well for you. Keeping up all three sounds like a lot if I'm honest (could very well be wrong here), but you have some good strategies in mind for how to get them to fit your life. Since your stated goal was "I'd like to walk and meditate daily, to develop a regular yoga practice, to try out tai chi (if I can figure out a good way to do so).  It's about finding my center and grounding in what feels like a very unstable time.", looks like you did what you were planning to do, and did it well.

Have you given any thought to where you'll go next challenge? Not that this challenge is actually over or anything. :P

Challenge:   0  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  24  25  26  27  28  29  30  31  32  33  34  35  36  37  38  39  40  41  42  43  44  45  

8 hours ago, juliebarkley said:

Have you given any thought to where you'll go next challenge? Not that this challenge is actually over or anything.

Heh.  Despite the fact that the dates for this challenge are in the header, my brain said said that it was over on the 10th.  So I'll keep rocking this through Saturday.

But yes, I have been thinking about the next challenge.  And in the spirit of "it takes many tiny Legos to build the millennium falcon", I think I'm doing to concentrate on little things.  Still figuring out what that might mean, though.  

Thank you for your thoughts.  It can be really helpful to see my life from an outside perspective.

• Like 2

RULES OF ENGAGEMENT