• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

annyshay

annyshay - compassion

Hair Update

Spoiler

Things are going pretty well, if I do say so myself.

I'm doing wash day about three times a week with the same products. 

I deep condition on Saturdays with a hot head (cap filled with buckwheat? something) to hold in heat and let the conditioner really work it's magic.

In between wash day, I've been trying to wet my hair again and scrunch some life back into my curls, but I think it is just making my hair frizz out. It seems to go better when I just wear it straight out of the pineapple. Maybe I'm not using enough water? I'll continue to experiment.

Skin Update

Spoiler

Current regimen

AM

- drink an extra glass of water

- tinted mineral sunscreen 

- makeup?!?!?!?! (Crop mascara and pyt brow pencil - to frame my eyes and stuff)

PM

- double cleanse with cotton washcloth and cetaphil gentle daily cleanser

- antioxidant serum (Paula's Choice Skin Recovery Antioxidant Serum with Retinol)

- moisturizer

Adding the antioxidant serum worked well (aka skin still feels good with no redness or breakouts). I've also slowly added some makeup as above. I've never been a makeup girl, but it's a little bit of fun to play with making my eyes pop behind my glasses.

• Like 6

Wednesday w3d4

Movement 

- PT exercises for the evaluation

Cooking

- not yet

Compassion

- three times

Log

- nope

Had a very busy day. Morning went smoothly though I had a little less time to spend in my sacred space compared to yesterday. Still, meditation was good, and I got a few words scribbled down in my journal. Work was nutty. I had meetings from 11am through the time when I had to leave for PT and therapy. Still, I managed to get a lot done for my stewardship and research. Stressful, but progress.

So physical therapy. I wasn't as early as I hoped because a meeting ran over, so we were crunched for time and there was a new secretary checking me in. I managed to stay pretty patient, which is actually a huge deal. My PT was kind and thorough. She was also realistic. So, she found some serious balance issues, right worse than left, as well as tightness in my calves, hip flexors, and internal rotation of the hips. She says that these probably aren't causing my pain but might be contributing. She recommended that I start with small amounts of activity frequently... like twice a day every day (wow). She recommended that I walk as much as is possible without going over a 3 on the pain scale. She also gave me some exercises to do, mostly stretching but some strengthening and balance work as well. She wants to have me come in twice a week for two weeks. If we don't see some improvement by then, she thinks it's unlikely that we will see improvement. That hurt a bit to hear, but I am grateful for the realistic perspective. I don't want to keep doing things if they're not going to help, you know?

From there it was right to therapy in my car on my phone. We tried to dig into some of what has been happening this week and how I've been feeling very lonely spiritually since I can't seem to find a good church or other community to join in to. At that point, my phone died and refused to charge, so I drove home and got on my computer. We had lost about 20 minutes at that point, so there wasn't really time to do EMDR. Instead we talked about some of the way that the loneliness that I felt during the divorce might be popping up in my life currently with my spirituality, with my friend that keeps ghosting me and can't seem to talk about deeper issues, and with my mom. I'm sorry that we lost so much time, but it was helpful none-the-less. 

After that, I was ready to collapse, so I spent some time unwinding on the computer, feeding Dragon, eating dinner, and then reading. I spent some more time journaling and then headed to bed.

• Like 7

Thursday w3d5

Movement 

- Toe Towel Scrunches - 20x1 AM + PM

- Supine ITB Stretch - 5x15s AM + PM

- Standing Heel Raise - 10x2 AM + PM

- Calf Stretch on Wall - 5x15s AM + PM

- Standing Hip Flexor Stretch - 5x15s AM + PM

- Tandem Stance - 5x10s AM + PM

- Walking - 5m AM + PM

Cooking

- ate leftovers

Compassion

- three times

Log

- nope

Woke up early so that I could fit all the new exercises into my morning routine. Managed to get through them all but didn't leave enough time for breakfast. Hopefully I get faster with practice. Was pretty productive with work, so I took a big ole break towards the end of the day. Came home, fed Dragon and myself, did my PT exercises, cleaned the floors, and spent some time reading. Played stardew with my group for an hour and a half. Did my evening routine and headed to bed.

• Like 5

On 5/21/2020 at 9:53 AM, annyshay said:

Excellent CSA and cooking buddy!

I am fairly flexible when it comes to food now. Those balanced meals sound like they would be perfect. I think I'm looking mostly for easy and minimal clean up at this point, as well as stuff that might freeze/refrigerate well, since I'm living that single life. Staying far away from any types of restrictions due to my past with disordered eating. 

Half of the fun of CSAs is... what the heck is this produce... how do I even? Thank goodness for the internet. 

So my first recipe recommendation: https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchen/steak-and-tabbouleh-salad-recipe-2106928

We got a ton of arugula last Saturday in our CSA share. It was so good, and this was a really easy recipe. I actually kept the steak separate (so if you didn't want to do that part, the salad by itself is really good!) and the salad part stayed good for a few days afterwards. I ended up mixing the farrow (which is what I used instead of tabbouleh) with the leftover arugula, adding some extra dressing, and using for lunches. 

• Like 1

You look stunning on the photo!

You putting Dragon first just shows that you are a caring person who takes your responsibilities seriously. And you are now also taking yourself seriously, figuring things out for your (inner and outer) self.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Sylvaa said:

So my first recipe recommendation: https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchen/steak-and-tabbouleh-salad-recipe-2106928

We got a ton of arugula last Saturday in our CSA share. It was so good, and this was a really easy recipe. I actually kept the steak separate (so if you didn't want to do that part, the salad by itself is really good!) and the salad part stayed good for a few days afterwards. I ended up mixing the farrow (which is what I used instead of tabbouleh) with the leftover arugula, adding some extra dressing, and using for lunches. 

Oooh, this looks good. I will add it in to the rotation, probably the week after next. Thanks, Sylvaa!

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, ElizeElvinFoxRyder said:

You look stunning on the photo!

You putting Dragon first just shows that you are a caring person who takes your responsibilities seriously. And you are now also taking yourself seriously, figuring things out for your (inner and outer) self.

Aww, thanks Elize! You're always so sweet and kind. :D

• Like 1

Friday w3d6

Movement 

- Walking - 10m AM 

Cooking

- nope

Compassion

- three times

Log

- nope

Friday morning went a bit more smoothly than Thursday. I was able to incorporate my PT exercises, eat breakfast, water my plants, and do all the other new tasks that I've been adding to my morning. I got time to spend in my sacred space in meditation as well. I was pretty productive in the morning at work, rewriting the discussion section of the case series that we are working on. We had a long presentation and sign out of patients in the second half of the morning, so I was glad that I had already gotten a bunch of work done. After lunch I was muuuuch less productive, but I did find out that my article was accepted into a journal. FINALLY! I've been working on this project for over three years and on the paper itself for more than a year. I'm on call this weekend, so I got to hear updates on the patients again in the afternoon. When I got home, I was still feeling pretty unmotivated, so I spent some time working online. Then I did some work in my sacred space with meditation and setting intentions. Next it was time to do my PT exercises. After that, skin routine and into bed I went. 

• Like 5

5 hours ago, annyshay said:

but I did find out that my article was accepted into a journal. FINALLY! I've been working on this project for over three years and on the paper itself for more than a year.

Woot! Woot!

• Thanks 1

Saturday w3d7

Movement 

- Walking - 10m AM + PM

Cooking

- nope

Compassion

- three times

Log

- nope

Had a pretty good Saturday for being on call. Woke up rather early and did my morning routines. Spent most of the morning relaxing. Headed in to work around 11am. Went for a walk in the park briefly on the way in to work. Reviewed all the patients that we're seeing and thought I might not have to go into the hospital, but just as I was about to leave I got a call on a new consult. So, I spent a few hours seeing that patient and dealing with a couple more of the old patients that had questions or concerns. Came home and did some more playing around on the internet. Read quite a bit. Did my evening routine. Got called late at night with a question from the PICU. Still, slept pretty well. 

• Like 4

Sunday w4d1

Movement 

- Walking - 15m AM + 10m PM

Cooking

- nope

- got groceries from Walmart pick up

Compassion

- three times

Log

- nope

Had another pretty chill day of work. Spent most of my time relaxing around the apartment, but a few hours in the hospital seeing patients new and old. Did a lot of reading. Early to bed.

• Like 1

Monday w4d2

Movement 

- Standing Heel Raise - 10x2 AM

- Calf Stretch on Wall - 5x15s AM

- Standing Hip Flexor Stretch - 5x15s AM

- Tandem Stance - 5x10s AM 

- Walking - 5m AM

Cooking

- nope

Compassion

- three times

Log

- nope

Had a great morning in terms of my routine, so that was a good start to the week. At work, I'm currently working with a first year medical student. She's working on research fellowship with me for the next 6 weeks, so it's going to be pretty busy for a while. I spent a while getting her oriented and then tried to plan out the week for myself since I didn't get to that on Friday. Over lunch we worked on our case series. In the afternoon, I had a patient and also worked on some more research and stewardship stuff. When I came home, it was time for therapy. On the walk, I passed a large parade/protest. After therapy, I was feeling overwhelmed and wanted to spend some time taking care of my inner 12 year old, so I went to my bed to be warm and cozy. I was tempted to read through things on twitter, which just got me really angry. I am simultaneously unsurprised by 45's response to the protests and shocked that we as a country have allowed things to continue to slip into a totalitarian regime. I grieve for the Black community, and am trying to support them in whatever ways I can. I read and napped in succession for the rest of the evening. I got up and did my evening routine and went to bed. 

• Like 2

Tuesday w4d3

Movement 

- Supine ITB Stretch - 5x15s AM

- Calf Stretch on Wall - 3x15s AM + PM

- Standing Hip Flexor Stretch - 3x15s AM + PM

- Tandem Stance - 3x10s AM + PM

- Walking - 15m AM + 5m PM

Cooking

- nope

Compassion

- three times

Log

- nope

Did my morning routine, meditated, had breakfast, and all that good stuff. Went for a walk around the pond in the park before heading in to work. Did a lot of research stuff, some meetings, and saw a patient in the afternoon. Got cornered by a coworker that accused me of stealing his case. I'm working with the rheumatologists who invited me, and he is more than welcome to join us. It was a very weird interaction, and I'm not sure how to move forward from it with him, but I'm trying to be respectful and civil. Came home and spent a while reading and learning about how to dismantle white supremacy and amplify black voices.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, annyshay said:

Got cornered by a coworker that accused me of stealing his case.

Erg. 😒

1 hour ago, annyshay said:

Came home and spent a while reading and learning about how to dismantle white supremacy and amplify black voices.

Awesome! What have you been reading? I'm listening to an audiobook of Stamped From the Beginning. It's a lot to consume via audio, so I may end up buying a physical copy, but it's also very informative. And I just finished The Hate U Give (planning to watch the movie soon).

I'm proud of you. Sorry about the interaction with your coworker. Hope it works out.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, WolfDreamer said:

Erg. 😒

Awesome! What have you been reading? I'm listening to an audiobook of Stamped From the Beginning. It's a lot to consume via audio, so I may end up buying a physical copy, but it's also very informative. And I just finished The Hate U Give (planning to watch the movie soon).

I'm proud of you. Sorry about the interaction with your coworker. Hope it works out.

Thanks!

I've been reading I'm Still Here by Austin Channing Brown. I'm taking it pretty slow so that I can absorb it. I'm also spending more time than usual on social media reading tweets and posts from various Black folx. 

The interaction with my coworker already worked out, so that's good. We addressed it directly, included him, and now he doesn't want to be an author. *eye roll* He does want to be in on the meetings and get acknowledged in the paper though, so we can definitely do that. 

• Like 2

Wednesday w4d4

Movement 

- PT in AM

- Toe Towel Scrunches - 20x1 PM

- Supine ITB Stretch - 5x15s PM

- Standing Heel Raise - 10x2 A PM

- Calf Stretch on Wall - 5x15s PM

- Standing Hip Flexor Stretch - 5x15s PM

- Tandem Stance - 5x10s PM

- Walking - 10m PM

Cooking

- nope

Compassion

- three times

Log

- nope

I had a supremely busy day yesterday. It started out with my usual morning routine except I skipped my morning PT exercises. 

I headed in to do PT in the office. We started with a small cylinder that got rubbed all over my calf and foot like a massage. Then we tested the range of motion of my hips and did some exercises for internal rotation even though it was already better with a week of stretches (yay!). Next we did some balance exercises on a chunk of foam both standing and kneeling on one leg. My kneeling balance is better than we expected but standing needs work. I did some calf raises. Then we did some walking on my toes and heels in various positions. We finished off with me icing my calf and foot for 10 minutes, which was probably needed as my muscles were freaking out a bit. 

From there I went straight into a busy day at work. I barely got to spend any time with my medical student because I had meetings every other hour and a patient to see even though it's my day for no patients. The meetings went well for the most part. There were some big changes with the paper that we're trying to get together, so I'm going to be the lead on the project now. Yikes! 

I didn't have time to get home, so we did therapy in my office with the door shut. We talked through some interactions that I had with Andres and the things that it brought up about feeling like I'm a bad person. Then we went to EMDR on the same memory during the divorce. This time it took me back to feeling like my 4 year old self and as if there was a huge heavy weight dragging me down. We worked through it and eventually got it talking to me. At the end there were some interesting comments about how it was my fault when Mom would get upset and go to another room for a while. We're going to start there next time. 

Then I had a little bit of time before my meeting with Amy, my health coach, so I read a bit and just meditated on my bed. The chat with Amy went well, and we were able to get to all the topics that we wanted to address. I think that things are going remarkably well considering everything going on in my life and in our nation, and she agreed. So we didn't make that many big changes for the future. 

After that, I read and headed to bed at my usual early bedtime.

• Like 4

Wow, that was a hectic day! Well done for managing it like a pro.

I'm glad that the stretching exercises are already helping.

Good luck on the new project. You can do it!

**Hugs** for four year old you :love_heart:

I've heard about the stuff going on in USA. I'm so sorry.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, ElizeElvinFoxRyder said:

Wow, that was a hectic day! Well done for managing it like a pro.

I'm glad that the stretching exercises are already helping.

Good luck on the new project. You can do it!

**Hugs** for four year old you :love_heart:

I've heard about the stuff going on in USA. I'm so sorry.

Thanks Elize. Things have been quite hectic both in my personal life and in our nation's political life. I'm trying to listen, learn, and take care of myself while supporting Black folx in whatever ways I can. 

• Like 2

Thursday w4d5

Movement 

- Calf Stretch on Wall - 3x15s AM + PM

- Standing Hip Flexor Stretch - 3x15s AM + PM

- Tandem Stance - 3x10s AM + PM

- Walking - 5 AM + 16 PM

Cooking

- made baked brie, yum

Compassion

- three times

Log

- nope

I finally had a day to catch up this week, but it was still pretty full of patients. Morning routine went well, but I had to abbrieviate a little bit because we had our faculty meeting starting at 7:30am. The morning was mostly spent working on some research and then seeing patients. I finally got to have lunch with my work friends. Then I spent the afternoon working through documentation for my patients and for research. Busy busy. Went for a walk around the little lake in the park and then came home. Made my baked brie and enjoyed it immensely. Did some reading and some stretching. Played Stardew with the Stardew Crew for two hours. Headed to bed.

• Like 5

On 6/4/2020 at 5:55 AM, annyshay said:

I'm Still Here by Austin Channing Brown

Loved it. Austin has a big heart and an amazing soul. I've watched a few episodes of her podcast, as well. She's bright and funny and kind but also honest and straightforward.

• Like 1

I haven't done toe towel scrunches in a long time.  I need to remember them again when  my feet are tired or sore. Are they part of the PT for your foot? They really did help me when I was having chronic plantar fascitis

• Like 1