• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Kestrel Grey

Kestrel: Gliding on the Warm Spring Air

Another cold wet drizzley day.  I spent the afternoon in the garden once again, getting the other half of the fencing done and putting up the trellis for the peas and cucumbers.  I really wanted to get the seeds in the ground today but it was cool enough that getting rained on for hours was unpleasant.  I retreated home with the intention of heading back out to plant when the rain stopped.  The rain didn't stop.  Tomorrow then.  I am pleased to have all the structure complete.

Running didn't happen today and I am okay with that.  Time is precious in planting season and the garden takes full priority this week, so it will likely be the first time in 7 weeks that I miss my running target.  I am doubling down on my strength training instead and making sure that gets checked off, and food was on point today.  I tried out making a breakfast bowl of roasted sweet potatoes, arugula, and scrambled eggs.  Not bad, though I think I need to season the eggs differently.  I used cumin and tahini.

A little guitar practice then off to bed for me.

• Like 4

A new sushi list:

Spoiler
  1. Tidy the shelves in the garage.
  2. Finish the Anatomy in Motion course.
  3. Plant a new batch of pumpkins.
  4. Remove/tidy the unused pots from the patio.
  5. Whiten the bathtub.
  6. Delboy's annual vet visit.

• Like 4

So. Much. Mud.

Gardening was not practical today since the mud was too sticky to plant in.  Peas are in at least.

Deadbugs, kb swings, and rear lunges later. I am skipping hamstrings because they are feeling overly tight.

Our city is offering covid19 testing for people without symptoms to try and get a handle on how much asymptomatic community transmission is going on.  I signed up so I can feel okay visiting my niece and nephews.  My appointment is on Saturday and I'm excited - my niece is almost 4 months old now and I haven't seen her since she was 1 month old.

tenor.gif

• Like 5

On 5/21/2020 at 5:36 AM, Kestrel Grey said:

Another cold wet drizzley day.  I spent the afternoon in the garden once again, getting the other half of the fencing done and putting up the trellis for the peas and cucumbers.  I really wanted to get the seeds in the ground today but it was cool enough that getting rained on for hours was unpleasant.  I retreated home with the intention of heading back out to plant when the rain stopped.  The rain didn't stop.  Tomorrow then.  I am pleased to have all the structure complete.

Running didn't happen today and I am okay with that.  Time is precious in planting season and the garden takes full priority this week, so it will likely be the first time in 7 weeks that I miss my running target.  I am doubling down on my strength training instead and making sure that gets checked off, and food was on point today.  I tried out making a breakfast bowl of roasted sweet potatoes, arugula, and scrambled eggs.  Not bad, though I think I need to season the eggs differently.  I used cumin and tahini.

A little guitar practice then off to bed for me.

Wow, you are so busy! Enjoy.

14 hours ago, Kestrel Grey said:

Our city is offering covid19 testing for people without symptoms to try and get a handle on how much asymptomatic community transmission is going on.  I signed up so I can feel okay visiting my niece and nephews.  My appointment is on Saturday and I'm excited - my niece is almost 4 months old now and I haven't seen her since she was 1 month old.

Good luck? Hope it's negative.

It would be interesting to know their final results. I've read what some epidemiologists from Europe (one specifically from Germany, another from Sweden) said w.r.t. their results, and it was interesting.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ElizeElvinFoxRyder said:

It would be interesting to know their final results. I've read what some epidemiologists from Europe (one specifically from Germany, another from Sweden) said w.r.t. their results, and it was interesting.

I'm interested too.  Our employer is the provincial health authority so we get frequent updates on the data.  General testing (people who are symptomatic and people who may have been exposed) is coming back with 1% positive for covid.  So here, if you think you might have covid19, there is a 1/100 chance you actually do.  This doesn't count outbreak sites though, like the meat processing plant where 50% of the employees (1000 people) caught it.

This is the first time we are getting stats on non-symptomatic people.

• Like 2

Guess what happened today.  It stopped raining!  Not until after dark though.  I was getting ready for bed and trying to figure out how I was going to fall asleep.  A week of missing my runs was making me restless.  And then I looked outside and realized the rain had finally finally stopped, and immediately tossed my PJs and threw on my running clothes and shoes and went for a 20 minute fast run around the block.  Life is infinitely better. :) 

Yes, I could have been running in the rain all week.  But it was the cold soaking kind of rain that makes me miserable and is really hard to warm up from, so just no.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Kestrel Grey said:

immediately tossed my PJs and threw on my running clothes and shoes and went for a 20 minute fast run around the block.  Life is infinitely better. :) 

Way to go! Hat's off to you. :loyal:

• Like 1

Week Two Challenge Summary

How To Make A Paper Bird - MAKE BELIEVE 2017 - YouTube

I was prepared to say week two was an unproductive fail, but I had forgotten how long this week actually was!  Did I only start my garden last Monday?!  So not much progress on the official challenge front, but lots actually got done on the "2020 Big Projects" front.

1. Get outdoors and run.  I gave myself a pass on the running goals this week so that I could get my garden going ASAP.  We don't have a long growing season, so as soon as the frost lifts it is a rush to get things planted.  6/5 days spent outdoors despite the steady rain, and 20 minutes running.

2. Stay strong and uninjured.  I trained my core 2/4 times, and added a full workout to both those sessions.  By the weekend I was exhausted and skipped my last core workouts.

3.  Start slimming down.  Last week went well.  I started eyeballing food to aim for three x 400 calorie meals and two x 200 calorie snacks.  I was down a pound at the end of the week - maybe water weight, maybe not, but better than up.

4.  Get musical.  Guitar practise twice this week for 20/60 minutes.

The garden has reached maintenance phase (yay!) so the challenge goals will be reinstated for the remainder of the challenge.

• Like 5

On 5/23/2020 at 3:22 AM, ElizeElvinFoxRyder said:

Way to go! Hat's off to you. :loyal:

Thanks!

On 5/24/2020 at 5:08 PM, Xena said:

That is so awesome! Love that you motivated to do that!

It was just fun.  "Motivation" always sounds like you managed to make yourself do something that you don't really enjoy for its own sake.  Running sometimes needs motivation for sure, sometimes it is spontaneous joy. :) 

• Like 2

Monday, June 1st (challenge week four) is the 16 week mark to the Golden Ultra.  They haven't cancelled it yet.  And I think I have finally found a training program that won't kill me!  Sage Canaday has a free 16-week program to encourage more women to get into ultra running and the mileage is something I can theoretically handle.  All the others ask that you have been running 40-mile weeks for 3 months before starting their training program.

I don't know why it is a "women's" training plan but I am not complaining.

Plan tmi:

Spoiler

It calls for 5-a-week runs, starting at 4 hours a week and peaking at 7 hours a week.  3 easy runs, one long run, and one speed or tempo session.

I will probably swap out one of the easy runs for a hike.  This ultra will include tons of vert and I will absolutely be hiking parts of it, so it makes sense to train that way.  Plus I haven't run more than 4 days a week yet and I don't want to shock my legs too much.

The part I am waffling on is where to do my long runs.  They give the standard line to match the terrain your race will be on, but that means I would be hiking much of my long run.  Would that still give the adaptions it is supposed to give?  Or is it a good idea to mix hiking and running on the long runs?

There is also the 30K virtual race in August that I need to work into the schedule.  It comes at the end of a recovery week so I should be nicely tapered for it, but I might need recovery the following week too.  My plan is to move the speed session to the end of the following week and skip that week's long run.

• Like 4

So I've done a couple ultras where I knew I would be walking a lot. To train for those, I did a couple different things. Either a long run where I added on some walking at the end (to practice walking at a reasonable pace when I would be tired) or a mix of run/walk for a very long time. The mix of run/walk is more useful on a long but flat trail. From what I remember you'll be doing some serious terrain. So maybe alternating weeks where you can run longer on easier trail and have more hiking on hard trail.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Kestrel Grey said:

I had forgotten how long this week actually was! 

Sounds like a pretty productive week to me

• Like 1

Week Three

Monday - Rest day.  We played D&D in the morning and managed not to kill anyone.  Well, other than the Kobolds we may or may not have been supposed to help whom we left to die.  My right foot had been hurting since Sunday for some reason.  It felt like a rolled ankle except I hadn't done anything to it, and flexing upwards hurt, not side-to-side.  I had to wrap it and stick it up on a pillow to sleep.  By the evening it was feeling better though, and I figured it wasn't a real injury and would be fine to run on Tuesday. 

Tuesday - Planned 30 minute easy run and core strength training.  The run wasn't very well planned.  My husband had the car and my sunglasses were in it, so I decided to eat a big breakfast while I waited for him to return.  He returned just as I finished eating and I went out immediately for my run.  That lasted 10 minutes before my stomach threw a cramping fit and made me slow to a walk.  It was a pretty morning and the walk was nice.  I did the core exercises and a short lower body workout when I got home from work that night.

Wednesday - Planned speedwork and core strength session.  The run got delayed all day and it was sunset when I finally headed out.  I love summer evenings.  There is a term "gloaming" that means the time after the sun has set but when there is still diffuse light, so that is looks like everything is faintly glowing.  At this time of year it lasts for an hour or so after sunset, and running is glorious during that time.  Tonight there was also a crescent moon hanging in the purple-orange sky, and the trees were glowing spring green, and a flock of swallows were doing aerial gymnastics above my head as I ran.  10 x 45s fast/45s easy and just over 40 minutes total running.

In non-fitness news I risked bedding out my tomatoes.  The tomato cages are wrapped in plastic bags. If it stays on it will hopefully protect them from the wind and they will still be alive when I check on them in the morning.  Delboy had his annual vet checkup this afternoon and he is healthy, though his new feathers are itching and we are supposed to feed him anti-inflammatories with a syringe for 5 days.  He's going to hate it.  I foresee some bloody fingers in my future.  My covid-19 test came back negative so I don't have an excuse to take 2 weeks off work.

It is Wednesday and I have yet to pull out my guitar this week.  I could now, but it is almost midnight and I don't want to disturb anyone.

• Like 3

On 5/26/2020 at 4:20 PM, Xena said:

So I've done a couple ultras where I knew I would be walking a lot. To train for those, I did a couple different things. Either a long run where I added on some walking at the end (to practice walking at a reasonable pace when I would be tired) or a mix of run/walk for a very long time. The mix of run/walk is more useful on a long but flat trail. From what I remember you'll be doing some serious terrain. So maybe alternating weeks where you can run longer on easier trail and have more hiking on hard trail.

Alternating weeks sounds like a great solution.

Just after my Monday update I got the email that they are officially cancelling the 2020 Golden Ultra.  Still processing that.  I knew it was likely but there was hope...  The thing is, I don't want to change my training plans.  If I am going to train for and peak for a 60K mountain ultra in September and I already have the vacation booked, I am going to run a 60K mountain ultra in September, race or no race.

I have the GPX map for a comparable race that is closer and I think training to set a personal speed record on the course, that I can then try to beat at an official race next year, will provide enough motivation and glory to focus my 2020 training.  My husband offered to crew for me (though I don't think he realizes what he is signing up for!  This one takes an average of 11 hours).  If he can meet me at the "aid stations" along the way I think I will try running it solo in September.  Though I am still thinking it all over.  I had really hoped the Golden Ultra would somehow happen.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

I think it's awesome you are going to do that! Depending on how things go this fall, I might have to come up with something like that for myself.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Kestrel Grey said:

The thing is, I don't want to change my training plans.  If I am going to train for and peak for a 60K mountain ultra in September and I already have the vacation booked, I am going to run a 60K mountain ultra in September, race or no race.

That is an impressive plan!

• Like 1

On 5/28/2020 at 4:43 PM, Xena said:

I think it's awesome you are going to do that! Depending on how things go this fall, I might have to come up with something like that for myself.

There are a lot of virtual races out there to choose from if that is more motivating than going it alone.  Are you thinking of peaking for a marathon PR attempt this fall?

On 5/28/2020 at 7:20 PM, Elastigirl said:

Sorry your race got cancelled. That would be awesome if you could work it out to do on your own

I'm hopeful!  None of these longer distances can truly be done on your own, so if there isn't an organized race to support me through it, I would only be able to attempt it if other people around me step up to help me through.

On 5/28/2020 at 7:43 PM, Maigs said:

That is an impressive plan!

Thanks!  

• Like 3

On 5/28/2020 at 1:39 PM, Kestrel Grey said:

Well, other than the Kobolds we may or may not have been supposed to help whom we left to die.

Those Kobolds got what they deserved for stiffing me on my reward for bringing back the dragon!

• Like 3

On 5/28/2020 at 7:39 AM, Kestrel Grey said:

At this time of year it lasts for an hour or so after sunset, and running is glorious during that time.  Tonight there was also a crescent moon hanging in the purple-orange sky, and the trees were glowing spring green, and a flock of swallows were doing aerial gymnastics above my head as I ran.

That sounds idyllic! Nice going on the run too.

Hope you manage to work something out in the place of the race.

• Like 1

On 5/30/2020 at 12:57 AM, Kestrel Grey said:

There are a lot of virtual races out there to choose from if that is more motivating than going it alone.  Are you thinking of peaking for a marathon PR attempt this fall?

Oh, I'm many years past my PR 🙂

But I haven't really decided what I'm training for. I had planned to try for a fast time in Spring and then knock out a couple marathons in fall (not necessarily aiming for a particularly fast time). Now I'm just not sure. I have a hard time with heat acclimation, so I think for now my plan is to maintain my base, throw in some speedwork, and do whatever it takes just to stay motivated to run.

The virtual races don't motivate me at all. I'm not knocking them for anyone else, but the only reason I could possibly think that I would do one would be try to try throw some support to an event organizer.

I'm thinking that racing in fall seems pretty unlikely in New England, and traveling outside my region is probably also a no-go. So I think my best chance at some kind of fitness adventure might be a local backpacking trip of some sort. But I haven't done anything toward planning that. I'm honestly still a little nervous about crowds. Where I live, people are just starting to venture out. Since so much "entertainment" is moved outside, everything is more crowded than usual. I feel like that dynamic will settle down a little over the coming months.

• Like 2

On 5/31/2020 at 4:46 PM, Xena said:

Oh, I'm many years past my PR 🙂

But I haven't really decided what I'm training for. I had planned to try for a fast time in Spring and then knock out a couple marathons in fall (not necessarily aiming for a particularly fast time). Now I'm just not sure. I have a hard time with heat acclimation, so I think for now my plan is to maintain my base, throw in some speedwork, and do whatever it takes just to stay motivated to run.

The virtual races don't motivate me at all. I'm not knocking them for anyone else, but the only reason I could possibly think that I would do one would be try to try throw some support to an event organizer.

I'm thinking that racing in fall seems pretty unlikely in New England, and traveling outside my region is probably also a no-go. So I think my best chance at some kind of fitness adventure might be a local backpacking trip of some sort. But I haven't done anything toward planning that. I'm honestly still a little nervous about crowds. Where I live, people are just starting to venture out. Since so much "entertainment" is moved outside, everything is more crowded than usual. I feel like that dynamic will settle down a little over the coming months.

I'm thinking it is really okay to take this year and just enjoy being outside and active, without needing any big goals.  There is time for that when things are a little more settled in future times.

• Like 3

Week Three Recap

The week was not a shattering success but not a complete failure either.  I give myself a solid C.  Thursday I spent with my sister and her family and got to play with my nephews and niece, which was nice.  The negative covid test meant I didn't worry about getting them sick.  It was the first time in over 2 months that I got to hug someone other than my husband. :)  Now back to isolation land.  Friday I slept in and had no time to train before work, and Saturday I just didn't feel like it.   On Sunday, I dragged myself out to the park for a long run.  Most of it ended up being hiking because I didn't have the energy to maintain a run.  Still, I managed to jog about 30 minutes of it and since I have decided to count the entirety of my hike/jogs towards my running total, I just hit my target.

1. Get outdoors and run.  I spent 5/5 days outdoors and ran 2.5/2.5 hours, but only if I count the full hike.  Counting just running I ran 1:20 this week.

2. Stay strong and uninjured.  Same as last week.  I trained my core 2/4 times, and added a full workout to both those sessions.  I didn't warm up before the runs.  However, I am able to do a full push-up again!  It's been a while.  I guess even my half-assed strength training is doing something.

3.  Start slimming down.  Ha.  Hahaha. No.

4.  Get musical.  Guitar practice twice for a total of about 40/60 minutes.

• Like 2