Elennare is Mr. Incredible

18 hours ago, Elennare said:

Interview round 1 is over!  I think it went fairly well.  Definitely better than the last one of these interviews I had!  I don't have all of the experience they're looking for, clearly, but I hope I have enough and was able to present what I did have in a good light to make me the best candidate.  Because it sounds like a super cool job.  Nothing to do now but wait.

GL GL GL

🍀

Raptron, alot assassin

67666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

I did not get the job. And they sent me a BS form letter rejection that said they decided to continue with other candidates who better match the skill and experience requirements listed in the role description. I met everything they listed, but they want more than what was in there.

And now my current company has flooded the market with highly qualified people, so everyone else can afford to be super picky. I'm screwed. 😭

• Sad 2

Wood Elf Waywatcher Mandalorian (Assassin/Ranger hybrid)

The rest of the day, before the evil email, was fine. Nothing too exciting. I was supposed to do 100 lunges today, but only got 30 done before the evil email. And then I was pretty well useless, so only getting 30 done today. I did manage to not let it affect me until I finished up work for the day (a whole 20 minutes), but after that I definitely spent some time crying. And then ordered more ice cream after dinner.

Well, today has been a day!

Started out great. We got to watch, live, as history was made. The United States finally has the capability to launch astronauts again. I watched the other end of that not quite 9 years ago (and legit cried), so that was especially cool.

Then I applied for another job. This one would be working on sustainable supersonic business jets, which sounds pretty cool. We'll see where that goes. Might not hear anything for a while on that one, because I don't know how actively they're interviewing and hiring right now because they're in the process of moving the company. But, ya know, still something to throw my hat at.

Then we started working on the bathroom, because all our stuff has arrived. Started out good, and then oh boy did things go wrong. 3 of the walls have mirrors on them. There's 2 smaller ones on the side, and a big one in the middle that's probably 4' tall and 5' wide. The bottom of it was just above the sink. They have a little channel thing along the bottom, and how the rest of them were attached to the wall was a mystery. Turns out it was glue. Crappy glue. And, the channel on the big mirror? Not actually attached to the wall! We weren't planning to do anything with the mirrors. So, after we got all the stuff out of the bathroom and disconnected the sink, the next step was to remove the sink and counter. I went upstairs to put shoes on before we did that, because it seemed like a good idea. Husband decided to start moving the sink without me, and all the sudden I heard a weird pop followed by a giant crash.

Turns out the mirror was essentially being held in place by sitting on the top of the sink! It fell straight down when Husband moved the sink and the bottom third of it exploded. Thankfully it missed Husband and no one got hurt by the exploding glass, but it did land on the drain pipe for the sink and break it off just inside the wall. So now we have to do way more plumbing than planned (which now also includes cutting a hole in the wall), we also have to figure out what to do with the walls that were previously covered in mirror, AND we have to fix part of the floor. Because whoever redid the bathroom before us did a hack job on it. They pulled up all the old tiles, except for about 4 of them under the sink cabinet, installed the sink cabinet, and then put the new floor down. How do I know that's what happened? Because there is a gap between the old tiles and where the edge of the cabinet was. I have no idea why you would do something like that, because it would be way harder to cut the new tiles around the cabinet than to just do the whole floor! And this is all assuming we don't find anything more crazy as we go. Other than fixing the pipes in the wall, we're not planning to take anything else apart. Though, given the fact that it looks like they repositioned all the sink plumbing (again, why?!? And it's done poorly!) I'm not holding out hope there won't be something nuts inside the wall. So, our simple, quick, (relatively) cheap remodel has suddenly become a significantly bigger project.

After we cleaned up all the broken glass, which took forever, we took the boys to the park and kicked around a soccer ball for a bit. So that was nice.

But, we've been hearing fireworks for the last...week? Something like that. Well, there were a lot more tonight. And then Husband found a news article about how protestors (or people pretending to be protestors) a couple towns over from us were throwing fireworks at the cops, and when the cops had had enough they started throwing flash-bangs at the crowd to make them go home. So that's a bit scary. I don't know what's been going on the rest of the days, but that was tonight. I'm sure some of it was people celebrating Memorial Day, but definitely not all of it!

But what's terrifying is the way cops are acting in lots of places, and the fact that instead of working to de-escalate things, apparently the government has called up the actual military to be ready to deal with things (which I'm all but certain is illegal). If that happens, people will die. A lot of people will die. And then I think there's a good chance something resembling a war will break out. And I do not want to be around for that, or the aftermath once the military has finished dealing with things. So that's now something I'm thinking about.

• Sad 1

Got more work done on the bathroom today. All the wallpaper is torn down, and we took down the remaining mirror. Surprise! There's a cavity in the wall where there used to be a medicine cabinet behind it! Next step is to steam the rest of the wallpaper off, and cut open the wall where the broken drain pipe is. We'll get to find out if we can fix it ourselves or if the whole thing is so feclempt (or however you spell that) that the only real option is to call a plumber. And then patch the drywall, and we can get started on the stuff we had planned to do! Probably not going to put a cabinet in the hole in the wall, because it's so tiny the cheapest one I could find that fit was almost $400. While bigger ones can be had for less than $50, for a plain one.

In addition to working on the bathroom, I skated along with Little One while he rode his bike, and then did my exercise calendar. Today was 50 push ups for time, to compare to the start of the month. I did the same modification and finished 2:01 faster! Which is almost awesome enough to offset the yuck feeling from gaining 3 lbs this month. So, a very mixed day.

• Like 3

Blurg, what a roller coaster ride. Sorry to hear about the bathroom, that's so frustrating when a seemingly simple fix suddenly becomes much, much bigger due to someone else's laziness. Best wishes going forward on the job hunt, hopefully you'll find a better fit for you soon. 

I remembered about the spacex launch about 5 minutes before it took off, and happened to be on the phone with my dad (also a huge nerd). He got logged in to the livestream at literally t-5 seconds, and we watched the first 20 minutes together. Very cool to see how things have changed with the new spaceship, and the reusable boosters! And of course, the zero-G indicator. :) Hope the week is off to a better start for you. 

• Like 2

Manarelle the Level 60 Amazon Assassin

Challenges: 1-1011-2021-3031-4041-50, 51-60, Current

Today has been slightly better. Work was frustrating. Details I won't go into, but something I need to have access to was finally approved for me. Something went wrong with setting it up, however, and even after 2 hours working with the help desk, not only do I not have access to it, but my email is only half functional. They were out of ideas, so the issue has been elevated, but that means I'm stuck with things as they are until someone decides to call me back. And I still can't do my job.

Husband found another surprise in the bathroom. Nothing huge this time, but super annoying. There's another layer of wallpaper under the one we had halfway removed. Doesn't look like it's on all the walls, thankfully, but it's going to slow things down.

The new exercise challenge started today. It's called "Sun's Out Fun's Out," hereafter to be referred to as SOFO. As makes sense for something like this, day 1 is a test. I'm glad it was today and not tomorrow, because I'm not too sore yet from the 50 I did yesterday. For this challenge, they have you set a metronome at 40 bpm and go up on one beat, down the next. I got 8 before I couldn't keep up with the timer. And I did them on the third stair, which is down one from what I was doing before. I thought it was about time to go to a lower elevation, and it looks like I was right! My goal is to do at least 8, since that was my score today, with no modification by the end of the challenge. Maybe that's asking for too much, but we'll see!

As far as the country falling apart goes, I haven't heard any booms tonight. I would say that's good, but I think it's courtesy of some very strict curfews. I had a meeting earlier today interrupted by several coworkers getting emergency alerts informing them that parts of the city were under curfew starting at 1pm! This is a couple towns away the other direction from where the fireworks were. It was apparently bad enough that they called in the national guard. And it is not a huge city!

I really do think we are currently in the run up to something paralleling 1930s Germany. And I don't want to be here when that happens.  I always wondered  why therewwere a bunch of people in Nazi Germany who didn't leave. Surely they could see what was happening? Could they not tell what was coming? Well, now I know, and Husband and I are starting to look into moving to Canada.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Elennare said:

As far as the country falling apart goes, I haven't heard any booms tonight. I would say that's good, but I think it's courtesy of some very strict curfews. I had a meeting earlier today interrupted by several coworkers getting emergency alerts informing them that parts of the city were under curfew starting at 1pm! This is a couple towns away the other direction from where the fireworks were. It was apparently bad enough that they called in the national guard. And it is not a huge city!

I really do think we are currently in the run up to something paralleling 1930s Germany. And I don't want to be here when that happens.  I always wondered  why therewwere a bunch of people in Nazi Germany who didn't leave. Surely they could see what was happening? Could they not tell what was coming? Well, now I know, and Husband and I are starting to look into moving to Canada.

:( Be safe. 

Yesterday was frustrating. Wait, no, that was Monday. Yesterday was only a bit frustrating, but I was very tired. The second-level IT called me and fixed the email problem in 40 minutes. Well, fixed it in 5 minutes, the rest of the time was looking at things before trying the fix and then making sure it worked. Why the first-level people can't be told to try that, I don't know, but I'm starting to think the whole point of first-level IT is to fix PEBCAC issues and annoy everyone else.

I did not do my exercise yesterday, because lack of (good) sleep has caught up with me. I didn't really go to bed on time, because also my cup is getting empty and staying up watching Black Sails with Husband also needed to happen.

Today work was frustrating for a different reason. I can't remember if I've mentioned anything about the big project I'm working on right now, but we're taking work from another group. They are (understandably) not really on board with that. Which means it's all but impossible to get any information from them. We're spending lots of time talking to them, but absolutely nothing useful is resulting from it. I am increasingly feeling like we're being set up to fail. So that's not great.

Not sure if I'm going to exercise tonight or not. I should, but I am still pretty exhausted. Like, I almost fell asleep at my desk after lunch. We'll see what time it is when the boys are finally asleep and I can exercise without getting interrupted.

Apparently all the crazy we already have isn't enough. We had an earthquake this evening! I was upstairs at my desk finishing up work when I started to feel...something? Was it shaking, did I bump my desk, or am I just feeling a little light headed? Oh look, the TV is wiggling. And then when it stopped, I tried to make the TV wiggle by shaking my desk - nope! Huh. No one else felt anything, so I decided to check the earthquake website, and sure enough, there was a 5.5 in pretty much the same place as the 7.something last July. And now there's been a 4.2 aftershock, which means there's a decent chance it's not done yet. Also adding to the concern is the fact that there were 2 decent sized quakes in what looks to be the northern end of the fault complex about half an hour before the one I felt, at the south end. I'm pretty sure I remember from last year the geologists saying those 2 areas were connected, anyway. So we'll see what happens with that.

Oh yeah, and apparently there's going to be a protest in my little suburb city on Friday. Trying to decide if I should take me and Little One somewhere else for the day, on the off chance cops decide to tear gas in our vicinity. I can't imagine any variety of that stuff does nice things to asthmatic lungs. It's not the protesters I'm worried about, but the cops and how they'll react. I've already seen city hall not react great to something that didn't fit their old-people milk toast vision of suburban bliss. 😕

In good, or at least entertaining, news, we introduced the boys to Weird Al tonight. 🙂

• Like 2

Today was less frustrating at work, so that was good.  I also proved I am a good engineer even half awake by pointing out an issue with a possible repair option someone else was proposing, before I had my coffee! Lest you worry, he was asking for input and for people to point out anything he had missed, so I wasn't being a jerk.

The boys only have like 3 days of school left, so that's crazy. I don't know where the time went. I am super stuck in Blursday this week.

There have been 3 aftershocks in the "concern" range since the "big" quake, but the last one of those was at just before 3am and things have been dying down since then. Hopefully that will continue and we don't have a bigger one on the way still.

After taking 2 days off, I did SOFO round 1 days 2 and 3 today, on what was supposed to be the rest day. I am toast. I'm going to take tomorrow as a rest day and then do days 1 and 2 of round 2 on day 2 and be back on schedule. I like this challenge. Every year I keep planning to record everything so I can do it again after the actual challenge is over, but I never seem to actually do it. Maybe I will this year?

I also got compliments from Little Bug and Husband today on how buff my arms look, which was nice. And I got an awesome package from one of my team mates! She made everyone a shirt with the team name on it and a joke about 2020 being the season we didn't skate. I was expecting the shirt, because she told us about them. What I wasn't expecting was the nice note, 2 buttons, and 2 stickers she also included! It was super nice and made my day. 😁  There will be pictures of the shirt later, and then a goofy video of all us in them a bit after that.

• Like 2

Another frustrating day at work. I think I just need to accept that this is my life now and stop complaining. Because it sure seems like we're not going to get any cooperation from the other group. I suspect they're trying to string us along with promises of stuff without actually giving us anything long enough that we either give up on the project (by which I mean it gets canceled for taking too long) or everything gets dumped on us with no explanation of anything and then it looks like a terrible idea because we take forever to answer requests because we have to start from scratch on everything. I don't like either of those options, and I really don't like being set up to fail, so I think I'm going to have a chat with the project manager on Monday.

Taking today as a rest day, since I doubled up on exercise yesterday and will be doing the same tomorrow. Normal schedule is 3 days on 1 day off.

Not sure what, if anything, happened with the protest that was supposedly today. None of it came near my house if there was anything, and I didn't hear anything crazy, so until I see a news report to the contrary, I'm going to assume everything was peaceful and be glad about that.

I am feeling rather burnt out the last few days, and all my attempts to do something about that have failed. Like tonight, I was going to finally start a knitting project I've been wanting to do for probably close to a year now. Grabbed my yarn, got the needles out, picked up the magazine with the pattern...wait, where's the pattern? Oh yeah, it fell out of the magazine. And apparently I put it somewhere safe, because I can't find it anywhere. So, looks like I won't be working on that project anytime soon. 😢

• Like 2

Weekend update!

I got to sleep in Saturday and Sunday. Which was amazing. Still tired, but less "almost falling asleep during meetings" tired.  The men made me breakfast yesterday, and were planning to bring it to me in bed, but I got up 15 too early. 🙂  And then I was just lazy for a while, and then went shopping.

Made an attempt at buying a switch lite, because the website said the store had them in stock. It was wrong - there was one that got returned and then bought within 5 minutes of it being restocked, but the computer that updates stock on the website can't update that fast. But I actually found one online! And a set of controllers to go with it! Super excited about that. After that debacle, I went and got a milkshake and then went to buy Little Bug his birthday present. Because somehow that kid is a few days away from being 9. That stop took forever, but was mostly successful. The main present was out of stock, but they ordered it for me and are shipping it to the house. With any luck it will arrive on his birthday. Here's hoping.

I did not exercise, even though I was supposed to, because I was still feeling very run down. I stand by that decision.

Today was kind of a take it easy day as well. Opened up the new bathroom cabinet to check some measurements before getting to work on fixing the pipe, and realized that with the wonky way the water outlet pipes are currently installed we'd basically have to cut all of the feet off. Which won't be great, and it would make the thing really low. So we decided to have a plumber come give us a quote on fixing all of that mess before we decide what to do. So, next step is going to be painting the ceiling and installing the new lighting.

It's windy today. We have a high wind watch until tomorrow afternoon, which is followed by a fire weather warning. So that's not super great. And the place with the earthquake? Not as quieted down as thought. There was a 3.6 late last night, and a 4.3 about 45 minutes ago. So definitely could still be getting ready to do something more.

In good news, I saw a news article about the protest in my city. It was well attended and entirely peaceful. And we took advantage of the nice weather and the wind to ride our bikes to the park to fly Husband's fancy kite, and then kept going to the restaurant that's a mile away from our house to pick up dinner. Finally pulled out the bike trailer (stupid packers lost a nut from the hardware, though!) and used it again. Won't put a person in it until we replace that nut (though even Little One might be too big for it) but it works great for cargo. And the bag that clips to the cargo rack on my bike that I bought forever ago when I thought I was going to start riding my bike to work did a great job carrying all the drinks. So that was a fun little outing that got everyone some exercise.

And now I'm going to go do one day's worth of SOFO and go to bed. That doesn't do anything to get me back on schedule, but it keeps me from getting further behind, and I'm still kind of run down and not up for doing 2 workouts smashed together.

Also, how are we on the last week of this challenge?

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Elennare said:

Made an attempt at buying a switch lite, because the website said the store had them in stock. It was wrong - there was one that got returned and then bought within 5 minutes of it being restocked, but the computer that updates stock on the website can't update that fast. But I actually found one online! And a set of controllers to go with it! Super excited about that. After that debacle, I went and got a milkshake and then went to buy Little Bug his birthday present. Because somehow that kid is a few days away from being 9. That stop took forever, but was mostly successful. The main present was out of stock, but they ordered it for me and are shipping it to the house. With any luck it will arrive on his birthday. Here's hoping.

Fingers crossed that all your packages arrive safely and on time! And goodness - Little One might become not-so-little one soon. 

In good news, I saw a news article about the protest in my city. It was well attended and entirely peaceful. And we took advantage of the nice weather and the wind to ride our bikes to the park to fly Husband's fancy kite, and then kept going to the restaurant that's a mile away from our house to pick up dinner. Finally pulled out the bike trailer (stupid packers lost a nut from the hardware, though!) and used it again. Won't put a person in it until we replace that nut (though even Little One might be too big for it) but it works great for cargo. And the bag that clips to the cargo rack on my bike that I bought forever ago when I thought I was going to start riding my bike to work did a great job carrying all the drinks. So that was a fun little outing that got everyone some exercise.

Yay for not-stupid-overreactions by the jurisdiction. It has been stupidly hot here recently, but sounds like you had a good day for an outing and some exercise!

Also, how are we on the last week of this challenge?

Oh jeez, really? Time flies in Blursday. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Manarelle said:

Fingers crossed that all your packages arrive safely and on time! And goodness - Little One might become not-so-little one soon.

Thanks!  Little One still has a bit before he needs a new nick name, since he's only 6. ;) Little Bug is probably always going to be Little Bug, even when he's a giant man, because that name stems from how he liked to lay when he was tiny.  :)

It has been stupidly hot here recently, but sounds like you had a good day for an outing and some exercise!

It's about to be stupidly hot, for at least a day or two.  After the wind goes away, the heat moves in.  It's supposed to be in the 90s tomorrow!  Perhaps a good day for a water balloon fight.

Oh jeez, really? Time flies in Blursday.

Right?!? :D

• Like 1

Not much to report about today.

Work is simultaneously making (very small) progress on the project from hell and going completely backwards. One of the guys we're supposed to be getting stuff from has floated the idea of delaying things because they can't support it. So we'll see how that goes.

Since I am almost feeling human today, and didn't sleep incredibly well last night, I have decided to skip my workout and go to bed early. By which I mean when I should be instead of staying up late. I want to work out, but I also want to have a good workout and not feel like I'm killing myself, so I don't feel at all bad about deciding to sleep instead.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Elennare said:

Since I am almost feeling human today, and didn't sleep incredibly well last night, I have decided to skip my workout and go to bed early. By which I mean when I should be instead of staying up late. I want to work out, but I also want to have a good workout and not feel like I'm killing myself, so I don't feel at all bad about deciding to sleep instead.

Consider sleep like stretching: a pre-workout prep thing. You CAN work out without it, but it'll go much worse and you might injure yourself. Hope you got some decent rest. 

• Like 1

Yesterday was a thing.  I didn't really eat for most of the day, through a combination of having endless meetings at work and the water to the house being shut off for several hours (more on that later).  So, I didn't feel great for a big chunk of the day, and consequently didn't exercise but did go to bed on time.

Why was the water shut off?  Well, the plumber came to take a look at the broken plumbing, gave us an acceptable quote, and was able to do the work right then, so we said let's do it!  So now the bathroom plumbing is all professionally fixed and installed at a more reasonable height.  Which is nice, even if it meant we had to spend money we hadn't planned on.  But then, we certainly didn't plan on having a 50+ lb mirror come crashing down on the plumbing and explode both the mirror and the plumbing, so, ya know...  I would have preferred to not have spent the money, but we probably would have spent just as much in time, and now things are fixed professionally and we don't have to make the cabinet shorter.  I am not displeased with the results.

Getting to bed on time sort of got messed up, too.  Shortly before 5am, the smoke detector in Little Bug's room went off.  There was no fire.  His window was open, and there was a bit of a weird smell coming in from outside, but no fire.  I went and looked outside, too.  Assuming the stupid thing didn't just malfunction, my best guess as to what happened was either the port or one of the many oil drilling locations around here vented something that set it off, or there were enough particles from the brush fire 13ish miles away directly upwind of us drifting around to set it off.  But, no one really got back to sleep after that.  Like, we all got a little bit of a nap, but not really.  Though I did have a crazy dream that mashed up the TV show Leverage, Animal Crossing, and the protests.  So that was a thing. :)   Think I'm going to make the boys try to take a nap after lunch, to hopefully stave off the grumpy and crazy from lack of sleep.

• Like 2

Oof, yeah. Hope you got a nap too!

Raptron, alot assassin

67666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

Sorry I didn't post for the last few days (and the end of the challenge). Little Bug had a lovely birthday. We didn't go to the beach, but that's because he chose to play video games with Husband instead. His big present arrived a day late, but he loved it (can't remember if I've said what it was yet. If I haven't, it is a keyboard. A musical one, not a computer one).

The end of the challenge fizzled. Shark week hit and I completely ran out of energy. And my stress level has been through the roof. So I haven't been doing my planned exercise at all. In fact, the only exercise I've gotten for a while is playing Just Dance. But, I can tell that trying to do anything will be too much on top of the stress I've already got. I don't like that, but that's the way it is. Hoping I can manage to relax soon.

Right now, I have no idea what I'm going to do for the next challenge - or if I'm even going to do one. Right now I just feel so tired and drained and stuck and like nothing is getting me closer to my goals that I can't think of what I would do. Clearly I need to change something, but I don't know what or how I can do it.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Elennare said:

Right now, I have no idea what I'm going to do for the next challenge - or if I'm even going to do one. Right now I just feel so tired and drained and stuck and like nothing is getting me closer to my goals that I can't think of what I would do. Clearly I need to change something, but I don't know what or how I can do it.

Certainly not necessary to have one, if it would cause you stress. If you go that route, maybe challenge yourself to focus on self-care - giving yourself mental space, prioritizing recovery time, things to make you de-stress and more relaxed? I hear you on wanting to improve physical fitness, but that's a couple levels above well-being on Maslow's hierarchy of wtf is going on. 

Glad you had a good birthday, even with the delayed present. Hope shark week buggers off and leaves you feeling better.