• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Lateral Planet

Lateral Planet: Flatten the Curve

Hi folks, long time no see. I've been lurking but I dipped out early on the last challenge because of reasons (spoilerised because sad; feel free to skip).

Spoiler

We had to say goodbye to our precious puppy, Frankie. He'd had cancer for the last year or so, so it was a long time coming, but of course that doesn't make it easy.

My challenge had been going well for the first couple of weeks, but I made a decision to cancel it so I could indulge a bit without feeling bad about it. I took some time off from good eating habits because, well, if ever there's a time for comfort food that's it. And he wasn't very keen on walkies for the last few weeks so I didn't get a lot of exercise either.

Anyway, the end result is now I'm over 80kg (175lb) when I'd rather be closer to 70kg (155lb). I took the last week off work to basically recharge and restart, and dip my toe into reinstating certain good habits. Now I'm ready to dive back into my journey for good health. Here's the plan:

1) Food tracking

I'm going to revive my colour-coded system from a few challenges ago, which highlighted unhealthy food and drinks. Since I can't bear calorie counting, this has been a good way for me to stay mindful of how much I'm eating.

2) Morning yoga

I've been doing this consistently for a week now and I plan to keep it up. Also I impulse-bought a yoga mat from Amazon and it'd be really awkward if I'm not going to use it once it finally gets here. Bonus points for any additional exercise.

3) Self-care

Including, but not limited to, a new regime to keep my hair healthy without getting it cut. It would be a real shame to lose all this lovely length I'm growing once the pandemic is over!

4) Maintain the sanctuary

Currently there are no active cases of coronavirus in my city, yay! But Husband and I are both working from home and spending almost all of our time at home, so it's more important than ever to keep the house tidy and clean.

All of the above are daily habits so I'll try to check in regularly. I found an awesome new notebook for tracking this stuff (in the early days of the last challenge, actually tracking my progress was my biggest issue) so with a bit of discipline I should be able to stay on top of things this time around. Good luck, everyone!

• Like 4

Aw man, I'm so sorry about the puppy. :( I'm glad that you're bouncing back and that you're able to jump in for another challenge. You've got some great goals. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Jupiter said:

Aw man, I'm so sorry about the puppy. :( I'm glad that you're bouncing back and that you're able to jump in for another challenge. You've got some great goals. 

Thanks, we miss him dearly. It's been a major lifestyle change to adjust to so I wanted to implement some daily good habits to keep me on track. I did a bit of a soft start last week to get back in the mode and help me get my butt off the couch, and now I'm ready to get back into it!

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, fleaball said:

Sending hugs for puppy. Losing a pet is the fucking worst. ❤️

Thanks, it really is. Give your kitties an extra smooch from me (if they'll let you ;))

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Lateral Planet said:

Thanks, it really is. Give your kitties an extra smooch from me (if they'll let you ;))

Fat Kitty will for sure. I’ll tell boobcat you said hi and probably give his smooch to FK as well. 

• Like 2

Aww I'm sorry to hear about Frankie. We have 1,749 cases in our county here. Not sure in my specific city. There is a lot in California, but it seems we have done well with flattening the curve so far. Hopefully, you will continue doing well there.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, fleaball said:

Fat Kitty will for sure. I’ll tell boobcat you said hi and probably give his smooch to FK as well. 

5 hours ago, Rookie said:

Sorry to hear about Frankie :( that's heartbreaking

42 minutes ago, Tateman said:

Aww I'm sorry to hear about Frankie.

Thanks guys, means a lot :)

42 minutes ago, Tateman said:

We have 1,749 cases in our county here. Not sure in my specific city. There is a lot in California, but it seems we have done well with flattening the curve so far. Hopefully, you will continue doing well there.

Dangit, I spoke too soon. We were on such a roll but then today another case came up. But one is still a very small number so I'm not worried. I'm hearing that things are particularly rough in the US these days so good on you all for staying safe and healthy!

• Like 3

Off to a good start! I used last week as my zero week so I'm starting properly now. Also as far as I'm concerned the week starts on Monday, so that's what I'm doing.

Wrote down everything I ate, which wasn't a lot. Highlights: I'm still getting through a chocolate cake I made last week, just having one slice a day. Also I needed some wine for cooking but I only had the good stuff left and damned if I'm going to let it all get cooked down so I had a glass with dinner.

Managed yoga and self-care no problem. And I had to tidy up my work desk, AKA the big dining table, because a few non-work items had started taking up space. Now ready to start day 2!

• Like 5

Tuesday went pretty well, apart from the ice cream I had after dinner, which was not really a decision in line with my goals.

It was a very cold morning but I managed to get up in time for yoga before work, although not without a bit of grumbling. 

For self-care, I had a headache after work so I just took some panadol and an hour or two of quiet time under a nice warm blanket, highly recommended!

And I tidied away my knife sharpening kit, which has been sprawled on the table since I used it on Sunday. You have to wait for the stones to dry out before packing them away, but I have no idea how to tell that they're dry so I just left them out for a few days, figured that would do.

• Like 4

Wednesday is also perishingly cold. I'll try not to bitch about the weather in every post, but I just can't emphasise enough how difficult it was to leave the sanctuary of my cosy warm bed this morning. But I had an early morning errand I had to do, and I wanted to squeeze in the yoga before work as well. I managed, although I'll be starting work a bit later than I'd like. It's fine until I get to my usual finish time and then realise I still have half an hour to go!

• Like 3

Wednesday went pretty well in the end. I've been having a few slices of banana bread for lunches lately, which I know isn't very nutritious but I made the stuff so now I have to eat it. Now it's all gone so I can start having proper lunches again. Still a few slices of cake left, and when that's gone I'll move on to lighter snacks.

For self-care I had a nice hot shower after work and did all the hair care stuff, which involves avoiding the hair dryer as much as possible. Since we've also been avoiding using the heater during the day, I think nighttime showers will be the way to go from now on!

For tidying, I got rid of a couple of things which have been taking up counter space for a while. I'm tackling the small stuff while I try to ignore how much the spare room looks like a "before" shot on Hoarders.

• Like 2

Good on you for taking the time to do what you needed to do. Grief takes many shapes but giving yourself the space to allow for it is so key. My best to you ❤️ 

On 5/3/2020 at 6:11 PM, Lateral Planet said:

Also I impulse-bought a yoga mat from Amazon and it'd be really awkward if I'm not going to use it once it finally gets here

uvD3fTm.gif

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, RedStone said:

uvD3fTm.gif

That's exactly the face I'm trying to avoid making! Yoga mat should get here around the start of June so it's quite a commitment. In the meantime I'm folding my big couch blanket in half and using that, but it's awfully slippery. So I'm doing the super light and easy rolling-around-on-the-floor type of yoga, both because my starting strength and flexibility are pretty low and with this blanket there's a chance my downward dog will become faceplant dog! So by the time the mat arrives I'll be ready and able level up and do some more challenging stuff :D

• Like 3

Thursday was good apart from the massive sugar cravings, which I absolutely surrendered to. I never used to think I got cravings during shark week but now that I'm not stuffing my face with sugar all the time it kind of stands out. Anyway the chocolate cake is now gone so the only sweets left in the house are nicely portioned controlled doses (biscuits, individually wrapped chocolates, etc) so I should have an easier time of regulating my sugar intake... maybe next week.

For self-care I made myself a really nice hot chocolate, which is a first for me; I've always made mediocre hot chocolates before but this time I put the effort in and it was totally worth it!

For tidying I cheated a bit, since it was my turn to wash the dishes anyway but that still counts.

It's Friday and I'm very excited because I'm actually going to see friends IRL, my first non-virtual social visit in two months! They're starting to allow very small gatherings again so two friends and I are going to get takeaway and watch a movie, it's going to be great!

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Lateral Planet said:

It's Friday and I'm very excited because I'm actually going to see friends IRL, my first non-virtual social visit in two months! They're starting to allow very small gatherings again so two friends and I are going to get takeaway and watch a movie, it's going to be great!

Sounds fun, enjoy! :) 

• Like 2

So... I'm going to hate myself for this later but on a whim I've just signed up for a workplace pushups challenge. The goal is over 3,000 pushups of any kind in 21 days. I'll be part of a team, so I don't have to do that many myself, but even so my pushups game is pretty weak right now. But if anything's going to give me the kick in the butt I need to do some exercise, this is it!

The challenge starts on Monday so I have a couple of days to warm up and hopefully not destroy my elbows on day 1. Officially adding a new goal:

5) Do some damn pushups!

Don't bring shame to your team! Sprinkle a few throughout the day and don't overdo it. Aim for knee pushups but roll back to using the kitchen counter if necessary.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Tateman said:

Pushups are back on the menu again! :) This should help get that push up game going again.

My thoughts exactly! Also it's for mental health awareness so that's nice. There's seven of us in the team so that's about 20 pushups each per day, which should be achievable.

• Like 3

Friday was good. Tracked all my food and didn't overdo the sugar.

It was a warmish day so it wasn't a huge struggle to get out of bed for yoga. Plus I did a few pushups against the kitchen counter to warm up a bit for next week.

Self-care was going to a friend's house for dinner, since that's allowed again! I love my husband so much but it sure was nice to hang out with other people for a bit. Also we got takeaway dinner and dessert, which is a real luxury I haven't indulged in for a while. Good stuff!

For tidying I did another sweep of my work desk. It's much easier to keep it tidy in the office, where everything has a place.

This weekend I need to do some meal prep, some more practice pushups, and maybe a walk or two if the weather's nice. 

• Like 4

As usual I forgot to update over the weekend, but anyway here's a quick Week 0 Recap:

1) Food tracking = 7/7

2) Morning yoga = 7/7

3) Self-care = 7/7

4) Maintain the sanctuary = 7/7

5) Pushups = 3/3

Result = no weight change! Breaking a streak of many weeks of gains. Makes sense, the yoga is a good stretch but it doesn't put me out of breath; it's more about discipline. I did squeeze in a walk and a few pushups though. Also I did have an awful lot of cake.

Plan for Week 1: It's going to be tricky because I've got late shifts at work for three days. I made a big batch of pumpkin soup for quick lunches, so that's one less thing to worry about. Also I might start to limit the amount of sugar I have each day, since that's a serious weakness of mine.

• Like 4

I'm not off to a great start this Monday morning. The yoga app I've been using has difficulty settings for each type, and this morning I tried the intermediate for restorative yoga for the first time after two weeks at beginner level. All was going well until I had to kind of flip my legs back over my head while lying down, and I got a massive twinge up both upper arms. I immediately stopped but half an hour later my arms are still a bit sore. The pushups challenge starts today and it seems I've buggered up some vital arm muscles. I'll get a heat pack on them and see how I feel in a few hours, in the meantime I'm annoyed at myself for not being more careful.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

17 minutes ago, Lateral Planet said:

I'm not off to a great start this Monday morning. The yoga app I've been using has difficulty settings for each type, and this morning I tried the intermediate for restorative yoga for the first time after two weeks at beginner level. All was going well until I had to kind of flip my legs back over my head while lying down, and I got a massive twinge up both upper arms. I immediately stopped but half an hour later my arms are still a bit sore. The pushups challenge starts today and it seems I've buggered up some vital arm muscles. I'll get a heat pack on them and see how I feel in a few hours, in the meantime I'm annoyed at myself for not being more careful.

Ouch. I hope the soreness goes away fast and that your Monday gets better!

• Like 2