• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Lateral Planet

Lateral Planet: Flatten the Curve

43 minutes ago, Jupiter said:

Ouch. I hope the soreness goes away fast and that your Monday gets better!

Feels real silly because I used to do that move all the time without trouble, so in the moment I kind of forgot it had been many years and many kilos since the last attempt :P I've heated up a wheat bag and gosh it's amazing, both for tending to my sore arms and generally keeping me warm, should have done this weeks ago!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Lateral Planet said:

Feels real silly because I used to do that move all the time without trouble, so in the moment I kind of forgot it had been many years and many kilos since the last attempt :P I've heated up a wheat bag and gosh it's amazing, both for tending to my sore arms and generally keeping me warm, should have done this weeks ago!

LOL well I'm glad you found something that helps with the soreness! :) 

• Like 1

Monday ended better than it started. My arms have recovered, so after a few test pushups against the kitchen counter I did my assigned 16 knee pushups for the challenge. Feels good for now, but I'm hoping I won't be sore again tomorrow morning.

Tracked all my food and kept the naughty stuff to a minimum. The only sugar I had was in a cup of tea and a slice of fairy bread, which for the uninitiated is bread and butter with sprinkles on top. Best snack ever, and also counting as my self-care for the day because it's a very rare indulgence for me.

For tidying I found homes for a few things my friend gave me the other day. I had my birthday right around when the lockdown started and apparently she's been hanging onto these things for two months now!

• Like 3

Hey fellow Australian Push Up Challenge buddy! I'm glad I'm not the only person who got talked into that one.

Following for solidarity in reset goals. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Stonie said:

Hey fellow Australian Push Up Challenge buddy! I'm glad I'm not the only person who got talked into that one.

Following for solidarity in reset goals. 

Good to know I'm not alone! Good luck :D

• Like 1

Tuesday is the first of my weird days this week; I don't start work til 3pm and I have no idea when I'm finishing. But it does mean I have all this free time this morning, which has been mostly devoted to exercises. I had a nice lie-in so Husband was already working by the time I got up, but I managed to do my 20 minutes of yoga with minimal ogling. Then I did my pushups for the day, although I was a bit wobbly on the last couple. After a good rest I went out for a brisk walk, and now I'm ready to have a shower and just relax for the next few hours until it's time to work!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Bean Sidhe said:

Hope the yoga went better today. I hope you got some sleep.

48 minutes ago, Jupiter said:

Ouch. With Bean, hope you were able to get some sleep. 

Thanks, guys, I was able to log off not long after that post and pretty much went straight to bed. I don't mind late nights at the office, but it's harder at home with the temptation of a cosy couch and snuggly husband just a few feet away!

Yoga has been going well. It's definitely more challenging than the beginner level but I'm being more cautious about bending in certain directions!

• Like 2

Two weird days done, one to go! So far the goals haven't been put out of whack by the strange schedule. I'm also doing well at limiting my sugar intake. Back in the day (by which I mean two months ago) I had a habit of grabbing a snack as soon as I got home from work, and I guess since that trigger isn't happening anymore I'm a bit less snacky in the afternoons.

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, Lateral Planet said:

Two weird days done, one to go! So far the goals haven't been put out of whack by the strange schedule. I'm also doing well at limiting my sugar intake. Back in the day (by which I mean two months ago) I had a habit of grabbing a snack as soon as I got home from work, and I guess since that trigger isn't happening anymore I'm a bit less snacky in the afternoons.

Just to tell you - This is progress.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Bean Sidhe said:

Just to tell you - This is progress.

I'm really hopeful that I'll be working from home long enough to get these good habits really locked down so I won't just regress when things go back to normal. The big challenge I foresee is that I've been doing yoga at my usual morning commuting time, and although it's a good way to start the day I really don't want to get up any earlier so that may yet become an afternoon thing. Anyway, that's a long way off yet and I'll tackle that when I come to it!

• Like 2

Phew, all done with the late shifts for now! There's another batch in the last week of this challenge, but until then it's smooth sailing.

They're opening some nature reserves this weekend so I'm starting to make plans for a good long bushwalk with some friends. Since I was feeling a bit sore after all the exercises I did on Monday I've been only doing my necessary yoga and pushups, but now I'm ready to start adding some extracurricular activities!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Lateral Planet said:

Phew, all done with the late shifts for now! There's another batch in the last week of this challenge, but until then it's smooth sailing.

2 hours ago, Lateral Planet said:

but now I'm ready to start adding some extracurricular activities!

Yay!

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Lateral Planet said:

I'm really hopeful that I'll be working from home long enough to get these good habits really locked down so I won't just regress when things go back to normal. The big challenge I foresee is that I've been doing yoga at my usual morning commuting time, and although it's a good way to start the day I really don't want to get up any earlier so that may yet become an afternoon thing. Anyway, that's a long way off yet and I'll tackle that when I come to it!

This I get. After a bad scale day, the last 2 or 3 days I have gotten up and made myself walk. I am already getting up later than normal and not packing a lunch or anything, so my morning routine right now is fairly simple. Keeping that walk in the morning will be much harder when I need to get to the office daily.

9 hours ago, Lateral Planet said:

They're opening some nature reserves this weekend so I'm starting to make plans for a good long bushwalk with some friends. Since I was feeling a bit sore after all the exercises I did on Monday I've been only doing my necessary yoga and pushups, but now I'm ready to start adding some extracurricular activities!

This sounds like a great idea. I hope you have fun

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Bean Sidhe said:

This I get. After a bad scale day, the last 2 or 3 days I have gotten up and made myself walk. I am already getting up later than normal and not packing a lunch or anything, so my morning routine right now is fairly simple. Keeping that walk in the morning will be much harder when I need to get to the office daily.

A morning walk is a great idea to get moving! But I agree, it's very hard to get out of bed when there's less of that time pressure. Over the last few years I've slowly evolved into more of a morning person, but I draw the line at getting up before 7am unless I really have to! Working from home requires a lot of discipline so I'm trying to keep my regular routine as much as possible.

Boo to bad scale days! I'm not expecting any amazing results for this week; just like last week, the exercises I've done have been pretty low intensity, but that's on purpose. I'm trying to go slow and steady, since I have been known to overdo the exercises and have to cancel everything while the soreness abates. Especially now I no longer have the wedding dress deadline, as I did this time last year, there's no point rushing!

39 minutes ago, Bean Sidhe said:

This sounds like a great idea. I hope you have fun

I'm very excited, haven't been for a walk outside the suburbs in ages! Before coronavirus everything was on fire so I feel like I've barely been outdoors this year 😅

• Like 2

OK so Saturday went a bit sideways in the afternoon. After using all my energy on the home I got really snacky and ended up spoiling my dinner. But instead of making myself eat too much I gave Husband half my steak. Will do better next time.

Not sure yet about the DOMS situation. I was feeling a bit stiff last night so I left the electric underlay switched on all night to stop my muscles all seizing up. Still cozy in bed right now and feeling good but will report back once I've actually tried moving!

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Tateman said:

DOMS can be such a killer. That view is really nice from that hike. Well done!

It hasn't been too bad. I think keeping the mattress heated overnight helped; I was able to do my yoga first thing this morning without complaint. I'm a bit stiff walking around, but not so much that I wouldn't go out and do another hike next weekend.

Did some mega tidying today since my mother-in-law was visiting. Self-care tonight will be sitting to watch Lego Masters rather than missing the last half-hour making dinner like I did last week!

• Like 1

Nice climb.  That view is amazing. 

Apparently I've started imagining DOMS as a little monster stalking behind, waiting to jump, and you found it lurking on a trail.  Tateman's comment just put a dramatic assassin flair on it; raised knife, exaggerated sneaking.  I snorted into my coffee.  

Enjoy your self-care tonight.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Chesire said:

Nice climb.  That view is amazing. 

Apparently I've started imagining DOMS as a little monster stalking behind, waiting to jump, and you found it lurking on a trail.  Tateman's comment just put a dramatic assassin flair on it; raised knife, exaggerated sneaking.  I snorted into my coffee.

Currently the little demons are using ice picks like mountaineers to cling just above the backs of my knees :P It's not so bad though, I might go for a stroll after work to stretch out and try shake them loose.

• Like 2

Week 1 Recap:

1) Food tracking = 7/7

2) Morning yoga = 7/7

3) Self-care = 7/7

4) Maintain the sanctuary = 7/7

5) Pushups = 6/6

Result = gained a kilo, boo! But, to be fair, I overdid the snacking and, apart from that hike, the exercise was pretty low intensity.

Plan for Week 2: Not so much snacking, and go for a walk every now and again. The goals I've set are mostly about establishing good habits, which is working, but I'd like to lose some weight at the same time!

• Like 3