• Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

Lateral Planet

Lateral Planet: Flatten the Curve

Recommended Posts

Just had a major win for self-restraint. Husband is getting KFC for lunch and asked if I wanted anything. I will admit I hesitated, just because all of a sudden some mashed potatoes sounded like a great idea. But I tend to let Monday set the tone for the week, and junk food first thing is a bad start. Also I was already hungry and didn't want to wait for him. So I declined and reheated some leftovers from last night instead. I should be full enough that when he brings delicious fried chicken into the house I won't be tempted to steal a bite!

 

Also it was brilliant keeping the bed heated overnight so I didn't wake up stiff. I was able to do my morning yoga without complaint, apart from having to sit out that flip I hurt my arms attempting last Monday:

1131112357_Screenshot_20200518-082313_DownDog_resize_88.jpg.56ccd27408b7ed3c0b928e240846e7bf.jpg

Yeah, not happening. Instead I stuck my legs up and left my back firmly on the ground.

 

Meanwhile, now that I've been sitting at my desk for a while, my legs are stiffening up again. I managed to do today's pushups during my lunch break but I'll see how I feel about a walk after work.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Lateral Planet said:

Yeah, not happening. Instead I stuck my legs up and left my back firmly on the ground.

 

I can't blame you for skipping that one, it looks hard. But awesome job getting in some yoga. :) 

 

21 hours ago, Lateral Planet said:

Meanwhile, now that I've been sitting at my desk for a while, my legs are stiffening up again.

 

Are you able to take a few minutes to stretch during work hours? I usually try to take a few minutes here and there throughout the day and stretch to loosen things up (when I remember anyway). Maybe that would help for you?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jupiter said:

Are you able to take a few minutes to stretch during work hours? I usually try to take a few minutes here and there throughout the day and stretch to loosen things up (when I remember anyway). Maybe that would help for you?

I've been taking my usual screen breaks and wandering around the house every now and then to stretch out. I think the main factor for yesterday that I didn't mention was that it was perishingly cold, which was definitely having an impact. I had to fetch my fingerless gloves so I could type a bit more comfortably! Luckily today is much nicer so I'm feeling much better now :D

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Lateral Planet said:

I've been taking my usual screen breaks and wandering around the house every now and then to stretch out. I think the main factor for yesterday that I didn't mention was that it was perishingly cold, which was definitely having an impact. I had to fetch my fingerless gloves so I could type a bit more comfortably! Luckily today is much nicer so I'm feeling much better now :D

 

The cold definitely makes a difference LOL. I'm glad today is better for you. :) 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Jupiter said:

The cold definitely makes a difference LOL. I'm glad today is better for you. :) 

This house is just the worst for winter, we've only got a heater in one room so that's pretty much the only room in use from now til August. I'm trying not to get in the habit of having it switched on all day, every day, but in hindsight I was definitely too stubborn about it yesterday!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/19/2020 at 11:20 AM, Lateral Planet said:

This house is just the worst for winter, we've only got a heater in one room so that's pretty much the only room in use from now til August. I'm trying not to get in the habit of having it switched on all day, every day, but in hindsight I was definitely too stubborn about it yesterday!

 

I feel this on a deep level! my house is quite chilly too but im trying to be frugal (sometimes too stubbornly) and not turn the heating on as soon as i feel the slightest chill.

 

Sweet mountain view! where did you walk?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Stonie said:

I feel this on a deep level! my house is quite chilly too but im trying to be frugal (sometimes too stubbornly) and not turn the heating on as soon as i feel the slightest chill.

Every time I want to switch it on I can imagine my grandma saying, "You won't feel the benefit!" :P

 

8 hours ago, Stonie said:

Sweet mountain view! where did you walk?

It was pretty great getting outdoors for once! This was at Tidbinbilla Nature Reserve in the ACT. I had to shrink the photo so it wouldn't break the forum, so it doesn't come up well, but if you squint you might be able to make out the deep space exploration dishes :D

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Lateral Planet said:

Every time I want to switch it on I can imagine my grandma saying, "You won't feel the benefit!" :P

 

It was pretty great getting outdoors for once! This was at Tidbinbilla Nature Reserve in the ACT. I had to shrink the photo so it wouldn't break the forum, so it doesn't come up well, but if you squint you might be able to make out the deep space exploration dishes :D


i also own more throw blankets then a single person reasonably should, do i can just layer those too 😂

 

it’s beautiful! One day if I end up on that side of the country I might end up there.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The view was amazing from your mountain walk. With views like that, I would want to be outside too.

I don't blame you for skiping that yoga pose. Honestly, my first reaction was OUCH.

Hopefully the rest of the week went well for you.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Stonie said:

i also own more throw blankets then a single person reasonably should, do i can just layer those too 😂

 

it’s beautiful! One day if I end up on that side of the country I might end up there.

Come join us in the Canberra Bubble! Bring the blankets, you'll need them ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bean Sidhe said:

The view was amazing from your mountain walk. With views like that, I would want to be outside too.

It's pretty great, that was only a 20-minute drive from home. I really should go more often!

 

1 hour ago, Bean Sidhe said:

I don't blame you for skiping that yoga pose. Honestly, my first reaction was OUCH.

Hopefully the rest of the week went well for you.

I haven't been updating much this week, but things are going fairly well. That pose came up again the other day so I put my feet up against a wall to get my butt off the ground. I'm thinking of starting some flexibility stuff next week to help with some poses. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/22/2020 at 4:21 PM, Lateral Planet said:

It's pretty great, that was only a 20-minute drive from home. I really should go more often!

 

That is awesome.  I hope you find time to go more often.

 

On 5/22/2020 at 4:21 PM, Lateral Planet said:

I haven't been updating much this week, but things are going fairly well. That pose came up again the other day so I put my feet up against a wall to get my butt off the ground. I'm thinking of starting some flexibility stuff next week to help with some poses. 

 

I get it. I know there are times I sit there and wish for more flexibility too. One thing at a time I guess.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Week 2 Recap: I've been having a Bad Brain Week. Just a whole bunch of little things added up to put me in a bit of a funk. But Monday is reboot day, and I'm ready to break free.

 

1) Food tracking = 7/7

 

2) Morning yoga = 7/7

 

3) Self-care = 7/7

 

4) Maintain the sanctuary = 7/7

 

5) Pushups = 6/6

 

Result = lost half a kilo, yay! Despite my promises, I did have an awful lot of sugar, and I have the breakout to prove it, but I managed to not gain like last week so my mood is already improving.

 

Plan for Week 2: Progressing to advanced level of restorative yoga, and start some flexibility training. Go for a walk. Amp up the self-care and don't let yourself get back in that funk.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Monday went well, as Mondays tend to do. Did my yoga, my pushups, and some NF flexibility training. Had one square of brownie and that's all for treats. Wanted to go for a walk but it was a horrible day out so I took a nice hot shower instead.

 

The big news is that folks are starting to trickle back into the office next week. Since my chronic asthma puts me in the high-risk group I'm opting to stay home for a few more weeks. Going to draw up a list of things I want to do over the next month or so (like lose the extra weight I've gained; nobody needs to know!)

 

Husband is probably going back to the office next week, so I'll have the house to myself a but more. I do love having him around but I'm a bit of a sponge, so when he was having a lousy week last week I started getting grumpy too. Also I don't like having an audience for my exercises, although I haven't had much of a choice lately so I've had to get over that little hang-up. But I'll enjoy a little more privacy during the day, and maybe a few sneaky exercises as well.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tuesday was also mostly good. The transition to the advanced level yoga hasn't been as difficult as I expected; there are only a handful of postures I have to tap out on. I've now done a whole calendar month of daily morning yoga!

 

Food was mostly good, except Husband wanted Maccas for dinner. I was very glad to have limited my snacking during the day, so I didn't feel at all gross after the nuggets and frappe. I think this rule of one treat a day is a good one, since it doesn't demand total abstinence but it also leaves room for surprises like that.

 

Self-care was a hot bath and a long overdue shave. I wish it weren't such a chore because I always feel better with smooth legs!

 

Tidying up was the ongoing battle of the work desk. Also, my peace lily is growing its first flower, I'm so proud!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've had a few wins lately. On Wednesday I cooked steak for dinner, which I rarely do because Husband is better at it, and it turned out quite well. Husband usually serves it with oven chips (fries) and salad, but I just did salad for healthiness. 

 

Thursday is going well too. Self-care was another chore that I hate doing but is so satisfying: putting away the clean laundry. Husband was loudly skyping his mum in the living room so I took the opportunity to sequester myself in the bedroom and finally empty that darn laundry basket.

 

Otherwise things are sort of just chugging along as normal, nothing much to report. Looking like another three weeks before I go back to the office, so here's what I want to do in that time:

- Get back under 80kg (2kg, or about 5lb, should be doable)

- Graduate to standing-up yoga (once the mat arrives so I'm not slipping)

- Continue with daily pushups after the end of the official pushups challenge

- Abstain from mindlessly plucking my eyebrows (apparently that's something I do now when I'm stressed, and it's starting to show)

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Lateral Planet said:

Abstain from mindlessly plucking my eyebrows (apparently that's something I do now when I'm stressed, and it's starting to show)

I feel this.  Eyelashes for me.  Stupid stress responses

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Chesire said:

I feel this.  Eyelashes for me.  Stupid stress responses

I've been dealing with BFRBs for a long time and after years and years of practice it's almost completely under control, but just in the last few months I've caught myself starting up with this. But this is not my first rodeo, and I can train myself out of it. It sucks, but I'm trying to be kind to myself because there has been a lot of stress around lately. Be kind to yourself too, buddy :) 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Friday has been good, all goals going as planned. Knocked off another chore I've been putting off: switching to my married name at the bank. Also I treated myself to a new pair of sports bras and some amazingly soft warm socks that have those dots on the sole so I won't be slipping all over the kitchen. Also I'm having a glass of wine because I haven't been to the bottle shop so I'm still having to cook with the good stuff. Self-care is winning today!

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Lateral Planet said:

Friday has been good, all goals going as planned. Knocked off another chore I've been putting off: switching to my married name at the bank. Also I treated myself to a new pair of sports bras and some amazingly soft warm socks that have those dots on the sole so I won't be slipping all over the kitchen. Also I'm having a glass of wine because I haven't been to the bottle shop so I'm still having to cook with the good stuff. Self-care is winning today!

 

Nice! Excellent job with the self-care. :) 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jupiter said:

Nice! Excellent job with the self-care. :) 

It was a good day! Except I accidentally got a little drunk off that one glass of wine because I didn't realise it had such a high alcohol content and I'm a total lightweight. Luckily making dinner was my last responsibility of the day! ;)

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hooray for the long weekend! It's off to a good start. Saturday I did my necessary yoga and pushups, and then we went for a good long walk. I did have more snacks than planned, but not so much that I feel really bad about it.

 

I forgot to mention as part of my shopping mission on Friday I went to Kmart and saw they've finally been able to restock their fitness section! So I grabbed a set of resistance bands to help me stretch my legs straight up while I'm lying down. I think you're meant to practice with your legs against a wall, but my living room doesn't have a bare patch of wall I can lie in front of so I'm having to go freestyle.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Jupiter said:

 

Wait, Kmart still exists??

 

Shocked Fall GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY

It does in Australia! In fact it's thriving; they just announced they're going to convert a whole lot of Targets to make more Kmarts.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Lateral Planet said:

 

I forgot to mention as part of my shopping mission on Friday I went to Kmart and saw they've finally been able to restock their fitness section! So I grabbed a set of resistance bands to help me stretch my legs straight up while I'm lying down. I think you're meant to practice with your legs against a wall, but my living room doesn't have a bare patch of wall I can lie in front of so I'm having to go freestyle.


YES! I finally got my hands on a kettlebell the other day too from Kmart. I was a few weeks too late when The ‘Rona hit and ive been stalking the fitness section for one ever since. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.