Lateral Planet: Flatten the Curve

1 hour ago, Stonie said:

YES! I finally got my hands on a kettlebell the other day too from Kmart. I was a few weeks too late when The ‘Rona hit and ive been stalking the fitness section for one ever since. 

Might be worth a look now! I was also too late for the Rona yoga bandwagon. I couldn't find a yoga mat IRL a month ago so I ordered one off Amazon. It still hasn't arrived but I could've picked one up at Kmart the other day for $15, dangit!

BTW how did you go with the pushups challenge? Was nice of them to let us finish on a relatively low target 

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Lateral Planet said:

Might be worth a look now! I was also too late for the Rona yoga bandwagon. I couldn't find a yoga mat IRL a month ago so I ordered one off Amazon. It still hasn't arrived but I could've picked one up at Kmart the other day for $15, dangit!

BTW how did you go with the pushups challenge? Was nice of them to let us finish on a relatively low target 

The only day I missed was yesterday! Aha. Having the last few sundays off got me. Thursday I nearly died since I had to make up for Wednesday and Thursday was the biggest day, i ended up doing like 60 pushup variations!

Since we did ours as a team i only had to do 1/6th of what was there though thankfully. I am so much closer to doing full pushups again though that I think I might stick with it as a thing, just do some pushups every day except sundays.

How about you? How did you go with them? 

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, Stonie said:

The only day I missed was yesterday! Aha. Having the last few sundays off got me. Thursday I nearly died since I had to make up for Wednesday and Thursday was the biggest day, i ended up doing like 60 pushup variations!

Since we did ours as a team i only had to do 1/6th of what was there though thankfully. I am so much closer to doing full pushups again though that I think I might stick with it as a thing, just do some pushups every day except sundays.

How about you? How did you go with them? 

Oh no! I had to set a reminder for Sunday for the very same reason. I do remember Thursday being particularly bad so well done for doubling up like that!

We had a team of eight so I had a much easier time of it for someone who had done zero pushups recently before starting. Three weeks of peer pressure seem to have been just the thing to get me going again! 

• Like 1

Week 3 Recap: A much better week, brainwise.

1) Food tracking = 7/7

2) Morning yoga = 7/7

3) Self-care = 7/7

4) Maintain the sanctuary = 7/7

5) Pushups = 7/7

Result = no change! Maintenance isn't a bad thing.

Plan for Week 2: Graduate to the next type of yoga, keep doing pushups, keep doing flexibility training, try to go for a walk or two (weather permitting). Get serious about snack limitation; it started well last week but then the pent up sugar cravings went haywire over the weekend.

• Like 2

Well that was silly of me. I just did my morning yoga, and on the app I switched the type from Restorative to Gentle, but apparently I forgot to switch the difficulty from advanced to beginner. So that was interesting. It wasn't too bad, except I can't touch my toes so I had to sit out of a few moves. But I'll definitely make sure it's on beginner level tomorrow!

I've got this problem where if I'm not instantly good at something I want to walk away from it. It's a hangover of being a former gifted child or something, but I do recognise it as a problem. The best way I've found to overcome it, at least with exercises, is to start with the absolutely easiest option and work my way up from there. That way it's less likely that I'll find it to be too hard too soon and get the urge to rage quit and stop working on myself. In fact that's how I found Nerd Fitness, by looking up something like "Level up exercises"

OK, now I've got that off my chest it's time for some pushups, starting at the beginner level and working my way up!

• Like 2

It's been a very lazy long weekend Monday! I did all my exercises first thing (well, after my obligatory sleep-in), updated my personal finance tracker and immediately ran out of plans for the day. So I spent a few hours getting through some movies in my Netflix queue and lazing about. Not gonna lie, it was pretty sweet!

• Like 2

Wednesday will be a real test of my resolve. I've had to start work early to get some urgent stuff done, and I didn't have time for yoga. For the last five weeks that's been the first thing I do in the morning, so I'm having to break that streak and catch up this afternoon. I'm going to have to switch to afternoon exercises in a few weeks when I go back to the office anyway, so I might as well start the transition now. Might set an alarm reminder just in case!

• Like 1

The switch to afternoon exercises didn't throw me off yesterday, which is good because I'm going to have to do the same again today. We're gearing up for a busy upcoming fortnight at work, and also it's just too cold to get out of bed early.

As for my sugar limitation goal, that's off the table for now. I'm getting cravings like crazy this week and I don't need to be hangry on top of everything else.

• Like 2

Oops, looks like I haven't updated in a few days. Well it's Sunday now and I thought I'd better check in on my current working from home goals.

Get back under 80kg

My next weigh-in is tomorrow but honestly I'm not sure what to expect. Been keeping up with my exercises but I've had an awful lot of sugar this week.

Graduate to standing-up yoga

I've levelled up from Restorative to Gentle, which does include some standing up and a lot more kneeling. Mat still hasn't arrived (it'll be officially late on Tuesday) but so far I haven't fallen over yet

Continue with daily pushups after the end of the official pushups challenge

Completed my first full week of pushups beyond the challenge

Abstain from mindlessly plucking my eyebrows 

Haven't achieved 100 per cent yet but I'm definitely more aware of the habit and stopping myself

Two weeks to go until I plan to go back to the office, and they're going to be busy work weeks with a weird schedule just to make things interesting.

• Like 2

I just went for a run. I actually don't remember the last time I went for a walk that featured a significant amount of running, but between one thing and another it might even be close to a year ago. But today's the day, I started from scratch with the Zombies Run 5K training app.

Over the last couple of weeks I've been gradually integrating more exercise into my daily routines. Started with daily yoga, then I added daily pushups, and then flexibility training three days a week. Now I'm going to add running three days a week too. It's maybe not the best time right now, due to my weird schedule this week and next, but I didn't want to wait another two weeks to get going; clearly if it's been a whole year I've been waiting long enough. Also, I'm interested in the Nerd Fitness virtual race but I'm on the wrong side of the planet to join in on livestreams and stuff so I've got to go it alone anyway.

I really like the Zombies Run app. Apart from the fun story, it's the only Couch to 5K trainer I've found that sets the bar low to start, with 15 seconds of running at a time. Most of them expect you to be able to do a full minute right away, and with my couch-ridden, asthmatic lungs in the peak of winter that's just not feasible right now. So again it's important for me to start very slow if I'm going to get anywhere.

My final thought for now. I don't mean to sound melancholy, but I need to write this down so it can stop spinning around my head: it's just not quite as fun going for walks without my puppy. Like it's fine, but it's just not the same. Moment over, now it's time to hop in the shower.

• Like 2

Current status:

pyvcdVophHk32gdleD.gif.1b3c0fe7e8eded53332fc85b8cfc474e.gif

It turns out that yesterday, around the time I was out for that run, someone else was wandering around the suburb with a knife and actually stabbed somebody. They're recovering well in hospital, but I'm cancelling all plans for future runs while police are still on the lookout. This is a nice area; muggings aren't supposed to happen here. I'm really mad that this is something I have to worry about.

• Sad 2
1 hour ago, Lateral Planet said:

It turns out that yesterday, around the time I was out for that run, someone else was wandering around the suburb with a knife and actually stabbed somebody.

Aren't people a delight sometimes?  Seriously though, I'm happy to hear you aren't dropping all running plans, just until things are figured out.  I live in an "interesting" part of my city and completely empathize.

• Like 1
57 minutes ago, Chesire said:

Aren't people a delight sometimes?  Seriously though, I'm happy to hear you aren't dropping all running plans, just until things are figured out.  I live in an "interesting" part of my city and completely empathize.

It really, really sucks. Thinking I might do another big bushwalk this weekend to replace the local runs I was planning. In the meantime I'll keep one eye on the news and just keep going with my exercises at home. Sigh.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Lateral Planet said:

It turns out that yesterday, around the time I was out for that run, someone else was wandering around the suburb with a knife and actually stabbed somebody. They're recovering well in hospital, but I'm cancelling all plans for future runs while police are still on the lookout. This is a nice area; muggings aren't supposed to happen here. I'm really mad that this is something I have to worry about.

Whoa, that's scary. 

• Like 1

So with the disruption to my usual schedule a few things fell by the wayside. No walks since Tuesday. I skipped the pushups on two days, but not two days in a row. Also we had takeaway twice during the week, which is very rare; usually it's only once or twice a month. So all in all things are going pretty well, but not 100 per cent success this week.

So yeah as always the interruption of my routine messed me about a bit. I've got one more busy week to get through, and then it'll be smooth sailing with a regular 9 to 5 til August. And it just happens to start in time for the next challenge! That reliability will make it an awesome time to really lock down some good habits and discipline.

• Like 2
18 minutes ago, Tateman said:

man, that is super scary to have that happen so close to home. 

No place in the world is free of crime, so I try not to let fear rule me. But I'm not gonna lie, the randomness of it has me a bit spooked. I've decided to just rest up for the next week or so and have another go in the next challenge.

• Like 2