• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Terra

Terra becomes a Shield Maiden - Part 1

Now it is time to take a deep breath and make some bigger changes.  I have been an ok viking, tending my to my family these last few months, but there are bigger and better things out there waiting for this viking woman!  

Now I start my quest to become a shield maiden!  

giphy.gif

Lagertha has so many qualities that I can learn from and i will continue to draw on her as inspiration!  

For this challenge I must make some more significant changes. 

• I HAVE to find a way to start lifting weights again.  This will to be home based, so it will be focused on the small collection of dumbells and kettlebells that I own.  Yoga/stretching has been helpful the last few months and it is something that I must continue to incorporate into my life.  I had planned on joining a gym so I had access to more equipment, but that gym never got the chance to open and I have been working on getting my hip back to working.  The hip isn't 100% yet but I can no longer delay starting to lift at this time.  I will also maintain BJJ class and the other activities that I love to do.
  • Food is 90% of my health battle.  I will focus on trying to reduce portion sizes and/or fast every day.  I might try a few different things at first.  Knowing that I need to maintain eating healthy foods, but at the same time I need to do something different to lose some weight.  I believe that my gradual weight gain is causing my hip problems and I am not very comfortable in my skin these days.  Part of a healthier diet will be a ban on alcohol.  I have experimented while we were quarantined at home and i can directly correlate healthy issues with my intake.  So no more.  

Hmmmm...  So it looks like I want to move more and eat less.  But maybe it isn't that cliche?  I really want to be a stronger, healthier version of myself.  And only two goals this time because I need to make them big and powerful. 

I will make myself a plan, post it on my bathroom mirror and strive to become a strong, powerful shield madien .  Why?  To make myself proud.  

Alright lets do this!  

• Like 7

Following as usual - and cliche advice is cliche for a reason; it’s not sexy but it’s reliable! 

• Like 1

I wrote on my mirror all the options I have for movement.  It was a longer list than expected.  ❤️  30+ minute bike ride this morning for 5.5 miles.  Tonight will be BJJ and core class too (if I can't do something I will do my physical therapy exercises as a modification!) 

Today I got new/enhanced tasking and I'm working in the office full time till I get those tasks done because they are considered vital and I can't do them at home.  I'll just shut my door and turn on some good music so I can focus on getting stuff done!   (rocking some dubstep right now!)

I'm trying to focus on portion sizes right now.  And today's planned dinner is strawberry shortcake because we want shortcake but dinner and dessert is too much food.  So shortcake for dinner!  I'm missing lunch so a high protein snack when I get home will be needed. Today is a wierd food day.  <shrug> 

• Like 3

Yesterday I went home and was stiff, swollen and grumpy.  I think I moved less while I was in my office.  I stayed at the computer working and didn't move as much as I do at home because I was following the social distancing guidelines for work.  My ankles were very swollen last night.  It was weird.  The social distancing rules for the office had me staying put and not moving as much as I need to.  I'll keep that in mind today, although I get to leave earlier today, for a dr appt.

I tried to listen to BJJ class while doing my physical therapy stretches and then I did the core/conditioning class.  I ate strawberry shortcake (with my last homemade sweet biscuit) and was tired.  

No bike ride this morning.  I'll see how I feel when I make it home today.   I am more prepared to work all day today and brought a small lunch.  Then tacos for dinner, because it is Cinco de Mayo. 

Lagertha-gifs-vikings-tv-series-37951232

• Like 5

On 5/6/2020 at 3:10 PM, Korranation said:

Following 

Welcome!  

I always do so good in the early part of the week...  <sigh>

I'm on the computer tonight to look up a workout program that I paid for but didn't ever use.  I have got to do this NOW.  Today I went to the doctor (it was a worthless trip and wasted too much of my time) and they put me on a scale.  Not just no, but HELL NO!  I'm done.  This weight isn't good for my hip or my knees.  It also isn't good for my health.  

So let us prepare to do more...  

eca0c48559226a0f2013dbdd2e1d529cfd88f768

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Terra said:

So let us prepare to do more...  

eca0c48559226a0f2013dbdd2e1d529cfd88f768

Yes! You've got this Terra! You will become a goddess this year!

5 hours ago, Terra said:

always do so good in the early part of the week...  <sigh>

Don't sigh, that's a good realisation. Can you use your start of week productivity to set yourself up for success? Front load your goals so you complete them early on? Meal prep and workout plan while you're motivated to make the latter part of the week easier?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jarric said:

Yes! You've got this Terra! You will become a goddess this year!

I think you meant to say she is already a goddess and is going to goddess all over this challenge of weight loss till scales huddle by candlelight in caves for fear of being encountered by her greatness.

• Like 3

Alright - one week down.  Food choices have been fairly good.  I need to add in more veggies but portion sizes are down.  Exercise has been sporadic but more than before.  I feel the weight I have gained and the strength lost due to my hip slowing me down.  But I also have more room for improvement.  

My husband asked me to read "You Can't Hurt Me" by David Goggins.  It really struck home with him.  I read it and at times wanted to smack the dude up side the head for being such a nut. I didn't identify with the author like my hubby did.  Goggins did some crazy things because once he decided to do something he had to do it now, all in, 100%, which at times was quite detrimental to his health.  But the overall message was that we as humans underestimate our limits.  It was a good message and it reminded me to post my goals on my bathroom mirror.  I also have something to remind my husband that he needs to stretch more and that pain is fleeting.  He has been more vigilant about working out since reading the book.  When he is thinking of giving up or that something is too hard I tell him "you can't hurt me" and he puts his head down and powers through the exercise.  This has been very good for him because the core and conditioning class was something he avoided, but now he goes to the online class and is getting stronger.  Its surprising how much strength he has gained during quarantine.  

Speaking of quarantine - warning mini rant ahead:

Spoiler

We are still fairly limited in my state.  Stores are opening up but our state is still under stay at home orders.  And now face masks are mandatory in public unless exercising or eating.  I hate the masks and they are such horrible filters, the scientists in me wants to refuse to wear them.  I actually think they create a much more mobile pathway for virus contamination because the public as a whole doesn't don and doff the protective equipment correctly and we contaminate our hands far more often than if we had no masks.  Mandatory masks in public will keep me home so maybe that was the intent...  However I have to go to work at least half time this week in my office and work has opted to go with what the governor has mandated.  For working at such a smart place I am disappointed that we aren't being more intelligent.  

Week two will have:

• more veggies and less treats
  • restarting our CSA fruit and veggie box
  • more movement - stretching, walking and maybe even BJJ class
  • picking up some moderately heavy things in anticipation of picking up heavy things in the future

My girls are wrapping up school this week.  They have to go in and get lockers cleaned out.  My youngest is struggling with nutrition and the migraines that her poor nutrition are causing (2nd migraine of the week is happening as I type).  My oldest is a 15 year old teen age girl, enough said.  My garden is planted with too many tomato plants, but I'm OK with that.  And we are already starting into fire restriction season.  Even when the covid restrictions drop, somethings won't open because of the fire restrictions already in place.  Photos of my garden to follow for @Morag

giphy.gif

• Like 2

Making progress.  

tenor.gif?itemid=12677851

Things are moving at mach 10 at work.  It makes balancing things at home a challenge in the current environment.  And once we get life figured out it will change...  

As for my challenge - Food choices are improving and serving sizes are getting smaller (as they need to be!) Exercise is happening and I have so many options.  This weekend will be about family, movement and rejuvenation.  Getting out of town and into the mountains is problematic.  We are looking at the start of fire restrictions as we had a fairly dry winter, so hiking and other activities in the mountains.  That coupled with the lifting of restrictions for covid, this weekend could be a total mess up there and we will be avoiding the crowds like the plague.  Exercise will be all about getting out and enjoying the gorgeous weather and sunshine.   

Good news is that travel bans are starting to lift if we can travel in our own vehicles, so we are planning to take my husband to his late June appointments in Houston, Texas.  This means I might get to meet a couple of NF friends!!!  @Wild Wolf, @Tanktimus the Encourager and @PrincessMononoke are part of my making travel plans.  So very excited that this might actually happen!!!  Missing our vacation in March is killing me and so planning a get away is vital to my mental well being!  

Life is good and I am making the best of things...  

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Terra said:

If I may make a recommendation, try not to see us in the order in which we were listed ;) 

We look forward to you coming to town. My days off are Wednesdays and Thursdays, and if you are coming in June as you say Sra. Tanque will be off work.

• Like 1

I've been having a hard time making a habit of my physical therapy and stretching.  I've been thinking about getting a yoga certificate and perhaps trying to teach it at the BJJ gym in the future...  On the flip side life is crazy busy with work and trying to get my girls to engage.  All they wan to do now that school is out is hang out in their rooms and play on computers/games.  It drives me crazy and their rooms are starting to smell a bit...  

I have been unable to post photos through taptalk...  Let me fix that right now!

Big garden photos!

Spoiler

Most of my garden in the old 7'x12' dog run.  Works like a charm keeping critters out.  The blue things are wall-o-waters and they help keep my tomatoes from getting too cold at night (living at elevation has its challenges!) One blue thing is a jalapeno pepper. A few squash, lots of kale and lettuce in the pots, some mint and two bags of potatoes.  

image4.jpeg.88541f4ed38f70e1820c4718291fde45.jpegimage3.jpeg.7db23ed4105d4e1901a61e1e39073180.jpeg

This is some of that hail damage that we saw on Monday evening this week.  

image2.jpeg.f59011b3bcbe6b3aee355295382ad97e.jpeg

This is my goals mirror.  I'm posting the less than flattering photo of myself as a reminder of why I need to get myself moving.  

image0.jpeg.84b5f675beaf95af07bb600e87d195d0.jpeg

Today I had a physical therapy appointment and I'm making progress.  I need to spend the time at least 5 days a week stretching and doing my PT exercises.  More walking and time on the bike will help too.  I've gotten back into my 30 minutes on the bike and I raised the tension one notch.  I am seeing improvement...  Now to make these things habits.  

Season 6 of Vikings finally popped up on Amazon Prime and I started watching over the weekend.  I'll only watch if I'm working on laundry or riding the bike.  

giphy.gif

Me waiting to see if we can finally schedule some vacation time this summer...

• Like 2

I've asked for my vacation.  I just need to see if it is approved. 

FOOD - I picked up some bread from the local GF baker that makes an amazing buckwheat bread that has NO rice flour.  Its my favorite bread in the whole world!!! Food has been OK and I am getting more veggies (and fruit).  I skipped breakfast today and just ate two meals.  That worked pretty good for me, so I might try more of that in the coming months.  

EXERCISE - I'm making progress here too.  I have been trying to go faster on the bike so I'm up to 6.5 miles in a half hour.  This makes me sweaty so I have to plan better.  PT exercises are still not as consistent as I would like but I am getting stronger.  Lifting hasn't happened but I will change that this week too.  I have evening plans to swing some KBs with my youngest daughter twice this week.  We made a plan!  

This week has some stressors.  I must remember that it is a good thing that I am out of my comfort zone and learning lots of new things (still a total firehose!) However I am excited to see how things change with our state FINALLY lifting the stay-at-home orders.  I'm not confident that it will happen smoothly.  So I am trying to find a little more patience and stay away from the drama!  Wish me luck.  

Starring down the week like this

d3790dcafc98be347c18b97902b67a27.gif

Hoping to end the week like this

1db485e13e1f73570c2f97e84af4dd80ceee6da9

• Like 1

Ah, is this challenge over?  Hmmmm, that was anticlimactic.  Still struggling to eat good and exercise like I want.  

😕