Jupiter Switches Things Up

Jupiter

Hey, I made it here for zero week! Anyway, as the title suggests, I'm changing things up. I really like my 100%/10% structure, but I feel like it's not working for me right now. Doing little bits of things at a time and trying to track 2 separate sets of goals is starting to drive me a little nuts. It worked for me when I needed it, though so I'll keep it on the back burner for when I need it again. But right now I need to consolidate and pare things down as much as possible. I think my brain has finally revived enough from the burnout that I can (and need to) stay focused for longer periods of time. I also don't want to suffer such massive burnout again, so I need to find a better balance between work and rest. So right now I'm going to do things as follows: 

Fitness:

- Strength training: Monday - 3 sets each, Saturday - 1 set each

- Yoga: Wednesday - 10 minutes, Friday - 20-30 minutes 

Nutrition:

- Fruit: 1-3 servings per day

- Veggies: 3-5 servings per week

- Cook: 1-3 times per week

Intellectual: 

- Write/revise: Saturday - Wednesday -- 2-3 pages each (hopefully more, but ideally at least 2)

- Write new plot points: Thursday - half a point, Friday - half a point (must get at least 1 plot point a week until these outlines are done)

- Write up novel notes: Thursday - Friday -- 10-30 minutes (I have a lot of notes on my phone and post-notes all over my desk and papers, and I need to start gathering everything together and prepping for when I start round 3 on the novel. That way I know exactly what needs to happen when and I can make any changes accordingly without forgetting things or scrambling. Hopefully anyway. I'm also hoping this will help me for the last few chapters I still have to rewrite.)

Misc:

- Read: Wednesday - Sunday -- 1-2 hours (or more)

- Draw: 1 picture per challenge (I haven't decided which days will be better so for now just whenever I can get to it or whenever I feel like it)

And that's it, though it might be too much. We'll see. I'll be doing the bulk of the work Saturday through around Wednesday, since those seem to be my higher energy days, and then light work Thursday and Friday with lots of reading/rest those days, since that seems to be how my energy is going these days. Wednesday is a swing day. Depending on how much energy I have, it can be a work day or a rest day, though I've planned for both. And the longer workouts will also be on days that are usually higher energy days, etc. Not sure how well this will work or if I'm just making things too complicated, but we'll see how it goes. 

• Like 12
  • That's Metal 2
3 hours ago, Jupiter said:

Write up novel notes: Thursday - Friday -- 10-30 minutes (I have a lot of notes on my phone and post-notes all over my desk and papers, and I need to start gathering everything together and prepping for when I start round 3 on the novel. That way I know exactly what needs to happen when and I can make any changes accordingly without forgetting things or scrambling. Hopefully anyway. I'm also hoping this will help me for the last few chapters I still have to rewrite.)

I know this life.

Here to support you!!

• Like 4

“And now that you don’t have to be perfect, you can be good.” John Steinbeck

“Do I dare disturb the universe?” – T.S. Eliot

“You wanna fly, you got to give up the shit that weighs you down.” – Toni Morrison

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us" JRR Tolkien

Human Bard: CON 2, WIS 5, INT 1, CHA 2

Current Challenge: Nova Levels Up (and maybe doesn't abandon a challenge...)

22 hours ago, Rookie said:

Hey friend! Following

Hey, glad you're here! :)

21 hours ago, Novaurora said:

I know this life.

Here to support you!!

It's fun, isn't it? Thanks! :)

18 hours ago, Waanie said:

Following :). I'm really glad you found your concentration again, that's actually a huge deal! I also like how you're stepping up your goals very gradually but steadily, especially on the vegetable part you're making huge progress :).

Thanks! :) Hopefully I can keep the momentum going and keep from backsliding, especially on the vegetable front. 

11 hours ago, Chesire said:

If I remember correctly, that's a decent veg jump since the last time I looked.  Nice.  And I'm impressed you managed to rediscover focus in all this this-ness. 

Thanks! It took a bit to get used to it again but I think I'm about there. :)

Monday stats:

Fitness:

- Strength training 3 sets ✔️ 

Nutrition:

- Fruit  --  2 servings 

- Veggies -- 1 serving

Intellectual: 

- Write/revise -- 2-3 pages  ✔️ 

Didn't have as much energy today as I thought I would and had a bit of a headache. Still, after my usual 9 hour work day I managed to get through my workout (I was a little wobbly but I made it through), took out the trash and unloaded (and then reloaded) the dishwasher, and ate my fruit/veggies. Even chatted for a few minutes with a neighbor. I was my usual socially awkward self, though it was made more awkward because he was across the street and we were basically yelling back and forth LOL. Also got through 4 pages of edits. The chapter is almost done, I think. Just need to finish this read through and then I can call it good. After that I need to go back to the previous chapter (chapter 16), fix the part I skipped, and then move on to chapter 18. The only thing I failed at today was avoiding snacks. I ate all the snacks. 

• Like 5
On 5/4/2020 at 1:55 AM, Jupiter said:

so I need to find a better balance between work and rest.

And also said rest needs to not be plagued by "I need to do X" or thinking about a project and how to make it work. Otherwise it's just work again. 

• Like 2

"... However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light." -  Stanley Kubrick

"Difficult for myself? Agent... I was born difficult for myself." - Clint Barton

Challenges:  #1 #2 (mini) #3 (mini) #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13 #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21

My Fitness Pal - inactive

9 hours ago, Echoceanic said:

And also said rest needs to not be plagued by "I need to do X" or thinking about a project and how to make it work. Otherwise it's just work again. 

Oh definitely. That'll be the hard part, trying not to think about work while resting. 

• Like 2

Quick fly by post:

Ugh, I didn't sleep very well last night and was so tired today that I ate all the snacks, all day long. This is why I can't lose weight, right here. Still, I did get in a few things:

1 serving of fruit

1 serving of veggies

3 and a half pages of revisions/edits (technically 4 I guess, but I'm thinking of cutting half of this last page, I think it's dragging on too long and messing with the pacing)

Also did some stretching and 3 sets of planks. I feel like I didn't do all that much and yet the day just flew by despite the tired. Where did it go??

• Like 4
9 hours ago, Jupiter said:

Ugh, I didn't sleep very well last night and was so tired today that I ate all the snacks, all day long. This is why I can't lose weight, right here. Still, I did get in a few things:

Right there with you.  Missing sleep is HARD.

9 hours ago, Jupiter said:

1 serving of fruit

1 serving of veggies

3 and a half pages of revisions/edits (technically 4 I guess, but I'm thinking of cutting half of this last page, I think it's dragging on too long and messing with the pacing)

Also did some stretching and 3 sets of planks. I feel like I didn't do all that much and yet the day just flew by despite the tired. Where did it go??

Great job sticking to these goals.  It's not easy when you're worn out and already feeling like you're not doing your best!

• Like 2

“You wanna fly, you got to give up the shit that weighs you down.” – Toni Morrison

12 hours ago, Jupiter said:

Oh definitely. That'll be the hard part, trying not to think about work while resting. 

Haven't figured out how to do this yet myself. :D 

• Like 2

"... However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light." -  Stanley Kubrick

"Difficult for myself? Agent... I was born difficult for myself." - Clint Barton

Challenges:  #1 #2 (mini) #3 (mini) #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13 #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21

My Fitness Pal - inactive

18 hours ago, Jupiter said:

Do, or do not. There is no try. ;)

I'm still experimenting with how to make this happen, but one thing that helps me personally is to make sure I finish work properly, before moving on to the next segment of my day. Remind me please, is the writing your work? Apologies if this was made clear before and I have missed it or forgotten. 

• Like 2

Reading Challenge Thread 2022

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37; Ch 38

14 hours ago, Novaurora said:

Right there with you.  Missing sleep is HARD.

Yup, it totally is.

14 hours ago, Novaurora said:

Great job sticking to these goals.  It's not easy when you're worn out and already feeling like you're not doing your best!

Thanks! :)

10 hours ago, Echoceanic said:

Haven't figured out how to do this yet myself. :D 

LOL yeah it's not an easy thing to figure out. :D

4 hours ago, Scalyfreak said:

Do, or do not. There is no try. ;)

LOL well that's true. :D 

6 hours ago, Scalyfreak said:

I'm still experimenting with how to make this happen, but one thing that helps me personally is to make sure I finish work properly, before moving on to the next segment of my day. 

I don't know, I think it's a little harder with creative work, or at least it is for me. Even when I've put it away I always seem to be working on it in the back of my mind. 

7 hours ago, Scalyfreak said:

Remind me please, is the writing your work? Apologies if this was made clear before and I have missed it or forgotten. 

Oh no worries at all. I work in mortgage as my day job and I write in the evenings/weekends. 

I slept better last night but I'm still exhausted. I think I need to move more during the day, maybe that'll help. I may need to set an alarm every few hours, that way it'll force me to get up and move/stretch every once in a while. I haven't been doing that lately, or taking any of my breaks at work (I never take a lunch, I just work through it). Still way too much snacking, but on the plus side, I'm almost out, and I don't plan on buying any more after that, unless it's healthy foods. Anyway, stats for today:

2 servings of fruit

11 minutes of yoga

1 hour of reading (I can't seem to get into anything for some reason. I've started a couple of books but they're all kind of boring. :/)

Other than that, rest day today. Back at it tomorrow. 

• Like 5
5 hours ago, Jupiter said:

may need to set an alarm every few hours

I had this app a while ago that reminded me to "stay on task" every so often. If I was, it would give me more slack. If I wasn't it would ask more often. (StayOnTask - but the developer stopped updating it and my phone is being annoying about it so I will uninstall it now.)

Maybe smth like that could remind you to check in with your body if it needs to move?

• Like 3

Level ☆ human [uncategorizable]
STR 2 | DEX 3 | CON 3 | STA 3 | WIS 6 | CHA 6

8 hours ago, Jupiter said:

I think I need to move more during the day, maybe that'll help. I may need to set an alarm every few hours, that way it'll force me to get up and move/stretch every once in a while. I haven't been doing that lately, or taking any of my breaks at work (I never take a lunch, I just work through it).

I get this.  I have been scheduling "pupper cuddles" into my day because they just sit on the couches and stare at me.  It's better guilt than a timer, lol

• Like 2

On 5/6/2020 at 1:50 PM, Scalyfreak said:

I'm still experimenting with how to make this happen, but one thing that helps me personally is to make sure I finish work properly, before moving on to the next segment of my day. Remind me please, is the writing your work? Apologies if this was made clear before and I have missed it or forgotten. 

Meant to ask this before, how do you usually finish your work? Is there a specific routine you use? Sorry, I'm sure you've mentioned this on one of your threads already but I can't remember LOL.  

12 hours ago, analoggirl said:

I had this app a while ago that reminded me to "stay on task" every so often. If I was, it would give me more slack. If I wasn't it would ask more often. (StayOnTask - but the developer stopped updating it and my phone is being annoying about it so I will uninstall it now.)

Maybe smth like that could remind you to check in with your body if it needs to move?

Hmm, maybe. I'll have to see if I can find a similar app. Thanks for the suggestion. :) 

9 hours ago, Novaurora said:

I get this.  I have been scheduling "pupper cuddles" into my day because they just sit on the couches and stare at me.  It's better guilt than a timer, lol

LOL I bet. :D I've been giving mine extra pets today but I think she's getting annoyed with me because I keep waking her up LOL. 

• Like 2

Welp, I think another plant died. That's I think the third one I've lost in the last two years. One of them I managed to keep alive for around 3 or 4 years before it finally bit the dust. It grew pretty long too. I was trying to get it to grow until it reached the end of my desk at the office (mostly because I thought it'd be fun to drape over my monitors :P). And now I can't seem to keep any of them alive for longer than a few months, and they don't grow at all. Don't know what the deal is. Anyway, stats:

2 servings of fruit

1 serving of veggies

3 sets of planks

20 minutes of writing up notes

1/2 a plot point, kind of 

Today didn't go quite as planned. I got up and moved more during the day (pet my puppy until she got annoyed with me and stretched) which helped some, but then I ate all the snacks again. I think it's because I'm just really tired, not because I'm actually hungry. So I did a few minutes of stretching after work, too, which also helped. But I ended up wasting time because of the tired and I didn't get as much done as I had planned. Also having trouble with my outline already. It's been a while since I've looked at it, and despite all the notes and points I've plotted out and written down, I've forgotten all the details and the overall shape of the story, if that makes sense, so it's hard to really get into the story and continue with the outline. I got a few new ideas written down, but none of them are fleshed out, and I'm not sure how well they'll work in the execution. I wonder if I should just take a weekend and knock out the rest of the outline and be done with it, or keep going a little bit at a time. I'm not sure what I want to do yet. Oh, and I haven't gotten any reading done yet today either. It's late, but I'm aiming for at least 30 minutes before bed.

• Like 4
2 hours ago, Jupiter said:

Meant to ask this before, how do you usually finish your work? Is there a specific routine you use? Sorry, I'm sure you've mentioned this on one of your threads already but I can't remember LOL.  

I did, but it's changed, so remembering probably wouldn't have helped you. A lot of my focus is on making sure I have actually finished and wrapped things up when I leave my work space. This is what I'm doing right now:

I close out all the programs I use every day. I say good night to at lest one co-worker before I sign off. Then I reboot the laptop and turn off the external monitor. The notebook that has my hand written meeting notes is closed and set to the side, and lastly I empty the little trash I have there if that is needed. Lastly, I relocate to the bed in the opposite corner of the room (My home office is in the guest bedroom), and get comfortable on it while I color a page in my color book app. After I "leave work" I change out of the work clothes into my comfy leisure clothes, and then I take at least 20-30 minutes to myself, when I do various relaxing things.

• Like 4

Reading Challenge Thread 2022

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37; Ch 38

Here to cheer you on.

Question on the dying plants, are you putting new soil into the pots each time, or have you been reusing the soil from the first plant? It may just be out of nutrients and grumpy, otherwise, I would probably need a picture to give you a better idea. I know my citrus plants get weird in the winter because it gets too cold here by the windows, but if I put them under a light away from windows they do better.

• Like 3

You are never too old to set another goal or dream a new dream - C.S. Lewis

20 hours ago, Scalyfreak said:

I did, but it's changed, so remembering probably wouldn't have helped you. A lot of my focus is on making sure I have actually finished and wrapped things up when I leave my work space. This is what I'm doing right now:

I close out all the programs I use every day. I say good night to at lest one co-worker before I sign off. Then I reboot the laptop and turn off the external monitor. The notebook that has my hand written meeting notes is closed and set to the side, and lastly I empty the little trash I have there if that is needed. Lastly, I relocate to the bed in the opposite corner of the room (My home office is in the guest bedroom), and get comfortable on it while I color a page in my color book app. After I "leave work" I change out of the work clothes into my comfy leisure clothes, and then I take at least 20-30 minutes to myself, when I do various relaxing things.

Cool, I may have to try something like that for me. Maybe it'll get me to stop checking my work email constantly even when I'm off the clock. Need to think about how to make it work for the writing too. Thank you for sharing. :) 

11 hours ago, Bean Sidhe said:

Here to cheer you on.

Question on the dying plants, are you putting new soil into the pots each time, or have you been reusing the soil from the first plant? It may just be out of nutrients and grumpy, otherwise, I would probably need a picture to give you a better idea. I know my citrus plants get weird in the winter because it gets too cold here by the windows, but if I put them under a light away from windows they do better.

Thanks! :D I've just been reusing the soil from the first plant, but maybe I need to get new soil and see how that works. Thanks for the suggestion. :) I haven't figured out the light situation, though. I've tried both artificial lights and regular sunlight at home and neither seemed to work very well, but the plant I kept at the office seemed to really thrive under the fluorescent lights for a long time before it died, so I don't know. Maybe they just needed new soil like you said. I'll have to try it for the next plant. 

8 hours ago, Harriet said:

Here to follow along :) Hi! 

Yay, hi! :D 

Friday's Stats:

1 serving of fruit

2 servings of veggies

24 minutes of yoga

2 hours of reading

Another day that didn't go quite as planned. I feel like I'm not very organized this challenge. Hopefully that'll change as I adjust to the new routine, though I am thinking about making some small changes also that will hopefully make things easier. I need to think about it over the weekend. Didn't get any actual writing work done either which is kind of bothering me at the moment. I mean, I had only planned to write up some notes and work on my outline, but still. I guess I'm just getting a little frustrated. It's already been almost half a year and I'm still not done with this novel. I just got so much done last year compared to this one. But I was also working at pretty much all hours between writing and the day job and it about killed me. I don't think I can go at that pace again, but now that I'm feeling a little bit better mentally I find myself trying to push forward and try it again anyway. Which is probably not the best idea. And honestly I have no idea how I managed to do it in the first place. Anyway, not sure where I was going with this, just wanted to get the frustration out. Back at it tomorrow. 

• Like 4
6 hours ago, Jupiter said:

Maybe it'll get me to stop checking my work email constantly even when I'm off the clock.

Tsk tsk. Definitely should stop doing that.

Maybe turn off ALL notifications at some hours of the day?

And maybe... Make folders for different emails. At the beginning of the day, sort all new emails using the Eisenhower matrix.

Have your email provider "wire" emails from those that are never urgent or always urgent to the right folder? 

Idk just brainstorming. I both am and am not looking forward to finding a system for this when I start working.

A lawyer at my internship gave me the tip that he often goes to the office for 2 hours on the weekends and gets a lot more deep work done than most weekdays haha

• Like 2

Level ☆ human [uncategorizable]
STR 2 | DEX 3 | CON 3 | STA 3 | WIS 6 | CHA 6

10 hours ago, Jupiter said:

I just got so much done last year compared to this one. But I was also working at pretty much all hours between writing and the day job and it about killed me. I don't think I can go at that pace again, but now that I'm feeling a little bit better mentally I find myself trying to push forward and try it again anyway. Which is probably not the best idea. And honestly I have no idea how I managed to do it in the first place. Anyway, not sure where I was going with this, just wanted to get the frustration out. Back at it tomorrow. 

This seems like a normal pattern. Sounds like you spent a lot of energy on it last year and don't have the same reserves available just now. Maybe pick a level that's in between? Enough to make progress but not enough to wear you out and precipitate a low phase?

• Like 1

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

You can absorb me! - Harriet the Contextless Guru

I totally get the frustration.  Writing is such a fickle hobby.  There are days that 10 pages are easy and days that a paragraph are hard.  We just have to keep plodding forward.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, analoggirl said:

Tsk tsk. Definitely should stop doing that.

Maybe turn off ALL notifications at some hours of the day?

And maybe... Make folders for different emails. At the beginning of the day, sort all new emails using the Eisenhower matrix.

Have your email provider "wire" emails from those that are never urgent or always urgent to the right folder? 

Idk just brainstorming. I both am and am not looking forward to finding a system for this when I start working.

A lawyer at my internship gave me the tip that he often goes to the office for 2 hours on the weekends and gets a lot more deep work done than most weekdays haha

LOL, yeah, definitely need to stop doing that. Hmm I do have folders in my email but they're not terribly well organized (there never seems to be enough time for it). But maybe if I can figure out how to make it automatic it will help. I will have to think on this. Thanks for the suggestion. :) And re the 2 hours on the weekends, LOL, yeah I bet. Problem is, I don't want to do day job work on the weekends if I can help it. I have more than enough to do most weekends LOL. 

7 hours ago, Harriet said:

This seems like a normal pattern. Sounds like you spent a lot of energy on it last year and don't have the same reserves available just now. Maybe pick a level that's in between? Enough to make progress but not enough to wear you out and precipitate a low phase?

Yeah that's what I think too. And that is a good suggestion, thank you. :) I just need to figure out what that in between is and then go with it.  

7 hours ago, Novaurora said:

I totally get the frustration.  Writing is such a fickle hobby.  There are days that 10 pages are easy and days that a paragraph are hard.  We just have to keep plodding forward.

Yup, very true. :) 

Okay, doing all the things today. Ordered groceries for delivery, revised 2-ish pages this morning until I got tired and lost focus, then grabbed some takeout. My state is opening up again, at least partially, and it felt like everyone and their brother was out driving and doing things and not practicing social distancing at all. And I'm just like, really? I know everyone is itching to get back to normal, but rushing back to it isn't going to help things. Just because we are starting to open back up doesn't mean that the pandemic magically went away. It's still there. Oi. I really need a hair cut and I want to go shopping for new summer clothes but I plan on staying home for a while longer, as much as I can at least. 

Anyway, after lunch took out the trash cans, cleaned out the fridge, cleaned the floor, and did two loads of laundry. Oh, and got through all the email notifications/posts I missed during the week. I had signed up for a virtual writing class from the library this afternoon but no one ever emailed me with the zoom meeting info so I guess I missed it. I'm a little disappointed actually, I was really looking forward to it. Coincidentally I read this author's blog and she posted some advice about the same subject yesterday, so...win?

Anyway, things left for today:

Revise 2-3 more pages

Read 1-2 hours

Strength training 1 set each

Shred papers (maybe, we'll see)

ETA: Oh, and I did end up cutting a good half a page, and I think the chapter is much stronger for it. 

• Like 6