Jupiter Switches Things Up

7 minutes ago, Jupiter said:

And re the 2 hours on the weekends, LOL, yeah I bet. Problem is, I don't want to do day job work on the weekends if I can help it. I have more than enough to do most weekends LOL. 

Oh yeah, he was definitely one of those people that has made his job his identity, but somehow not in an unhealthy way. (If you don't count his cigar smoking in the office :DHe's having fun with it all the time. I was just illustrating the obvious, emails are a time sink. :)

9 minutes ago, Jupiter said:

ETA: Oh, and I did end up cutting a good half a page, and I think the chapter is much stronger for it. 

Awesomeee

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Jupiter said:

I had signed up for a virtual writing class from the library this afternoon but no one ever emailed me with the zoom meeting info so I guess I missed it. I'm a little disappointed actually, I was really looking forward to it. Coincidentally I read this author's blog and she posted some advice about the same subject yesterday, so...win?

Anyway, things left for today:

Revise 2-3 more pages

Read 1-2 hours

Strength training 1 set each

Shred papers (maybe, we'll see)

ETA: Oh, and I did end up cutting a good half a page, and I think the chapter is much stronger for it. 

What kind of class? And what is the big writing project you're doing? I think you mentioned a supervisor, but also that it's a novel?

• Like 2
4 hours ago, analoggirl said:

Oh yeah, he was definitely one of those people that has made his job his identity, but somehow not in an unhealthy way. (If you don't count his cigar smoking in the office :DHe's having fun with it all the time. I was just illustrating the obvious, emails are a time sink. :)

I totally get what you're saying, and yes, they most certainly are LOL. I'm glad your friend loves his job and is able to have fun with it. :) 

35 minutes ago, Harriet said:

What kind of class? And what is the big writing project you're doing? I think you mentioned a supervisor, but also that it's a novel?

Basically how to handle marketing/social media as a writer and how to create a platform for yourself. My supervisor is at my day job, but I have a writing mentor that I send chapters to and she critiques them for me and we discuss them and try to make them better. And yes, it's a novel, a fantasy novel about vampires, witches and shapeshifters and stuff. :) 

Well, I got 2 out of the 4 tasks done for the afternoon: did my one set of strength training and read for a few hours. Didn't shred papers or get any other revisions done. And as frustrated as that makes me, I think I needed to read a good book more this afternoon. At least I got through 2-3 pages this morning. Anyway, this book. It's so good but it's also totally creeping me out and I can't stop reading it. 

• Like 5
5 hours ago, Jupiter said:

And as frustrated as that makes me, I think I needed to read a good book more this afternoon.

Relatable but unfortunately we aren't robots :D

At least I got through 2-3 pages this morning. Anyway, this book. It's so good but it's also totally creeping me out and I can't stop reading it. 

Ohhh how fun! Have you mentioned which one :)

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Jupiter said:

Okay, doing all the things today. Ordered groceries for delivery, revised 2-ish pages this morning until I got tired and lost focus, then grabbed some takeout. My state is opening up again, at least partially, and it felt like everyone and their brother was out driving and doing things and not practicing social distancing at all. And I'm just like, really? I know everyone is itching to get back to normal, but rushing back to it isn't going to help things. Just because we are starting to open back up doesn't mean that the pandemic magically went away. It's still there. Oi. I really need a hair cut and I want to go shopping for new summer clothes but I plan on staying home for a while longer, as much as I can at least. 

This is so relatable, and I'm afraid that this will happen once the country goes partially out of lockdown here (tomorrow, I believe). This is how you create a second peak, obviously. I decided that I will buy the summer clothes that are suitable for the office next year instead of this year. I have enough T-shirts and jeans to survive this summer at least.

5 hours ago, Jupiter said:

Well, I got 2 out of the 4 tasks done for the afternoon: did my one set of strength training and read for a few hours.

Yay for strength training! What kind of workout are you doing?

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Jupiter said:

Basically how to handle marketing/social media as a writer and how to create a platform for yourself. My supervisor is at my day job, but I have a writing mentor that I send chapters to and she critiques them for me and we discuss them and try to make them better. And yes, it's a novel, a fantasy novel about vampires, witches and shapeshifters and stuff. :) 

Ah, okay, I was thinking like a doctoral supervisor, and was wondering if there's a PhD where you have to write a novel instead of a monograph :P 

• Like 1
On 5/7/2020 at 11:43 PM, Jupiter said:

It's been a while since I've looked at it, and despite all the notes and points I've plotted out and written down, I've forgotten all the details and the overall shape of the story, if that makes sense, so it's hard to really get into the story and continue with the outline. I got a few new ideas written down, but none of them are fleshed out, and I'm not sure how well they'll work in the execution.

More power to you for powering through this.  You're making me feel guilty for the novel I abandoned at just over 100k words.  But I have a feeling, after 2 years away I wouldn't even know where to start.  

great job keeping up your edits!!  Cutting the fat feels so good.

• Like 1
On 5/8/2020 at 11:57 PM, Jupiter said:

Thanks! :D I've just been reusing the soil from the first plant, but maybe I need to get new soil and see how that works. Thanks for the suggestion. :) I haven't figured out the light situation, though. I've tried both artificial lights and regular sunlight at home and neither seemed to work very well, but the plant I kept at the office seemed to really thrive under the fluorescent lights for a long time before it died, so I don't know. Maybe they just needed new soil like you said. I'll have to try it for the next plant. 

I would say try putting new soil in. The original plant may have even died due to using all the nutrients from the soil. For my house plants (the Citrus trees, ect) I tend to put some fertilizer in or new soil at least once a year. Sometimes I will fully repot, sometimes I will see the roots have been exposed from the watering and just cover those. The light can depend on the plant. I have had some plants that are fine with just regular light, although I have been switching to daylight bulbs through the house (Its amazing how colored light is once you put in a full spectrum one).  fluorescent light is good, since it has that range that plants need. That is what I have over my seedlings. The citrus is picky, so I picked up some cheap LED plant lights from Amazon and they love it. It all depends on the plant.

Hopefully the weekend goes well with the writing and the day job can wait.

• Like 2
On 5/8/2020 at 10:57 PM, Jupiter said:

Cool, I may have to try something like that for me. Maybe it'll get me to stop checking my work email constantly even when I'm off the clock. Need to think about how to make it work for the writing too. Thank you for sharing. :) 

I suggest putting physical barriers in place to make that more difficult.

Turn off your work computer at the end of the work day, leave the room, and don't go back in there until it's time to work again the following day. If you get your work emails on your smartphone, uninstall the apps, or at least turn off all notifications.

I also highly recommend dedicating time to figuring out a system for organizing your emails and your ToDo list in a way that works for you and makes it very easy for you to keep track of what you are working on and what the priority of each task is, what your deadlines are, etc. I had no idea how much the massive backlog of emails that was just sitting in my inbox was stressing me until I figured out how to stay on top of incoming emails and immediately either get rid of them, respond to them, or delegate them.

I have a number of bookmarks on my work laptop that really helped me figure out a way to stay organized, that I'm happy to share if you're interested? It'll have to wait until I'm at work tomorrow and on break though. Absolutely no logging in to the work laptop on weekends!

• Like 1
12 hours ago, analoggirl said:

Relatable but unfortunately we aren't robots :D

This is true, LOL. :D I forget constantly though.  

12 hours ago, analoggirl said:

Ohhh how fun! Have you mentioned which one :)

Nope, I haven't. It's called "Give the Dark My Love" by Beth Revis. It's YA fantasy. I'm loving it so far. 

12 hours ago, Waanie said:

This is so relatable, and I'm afraid that this will happen once the country goes partially out of lockdown here (tomorrow, I believe). This is how you create a second peak, obviously. I decided that I will buy the summer clothes that are suitable for the office next year instead of this year. I have enough T-shirts and jeans to survive this summer at least.

Yup, for sure. I'm hoping that people will be smarter than what I've seen so far so we can avoid a second peak, but I guess we'll see. And yeah, same, summer clothes may have to wait until next year unfortunately.  

12 hours ago, Waanie said:

Yay for strength training! What kind of workout are you doing?

Thanks! :) I do a mix of weight training (with a dumbbell mostly) and body weight exercises like goblet squats, one arm floor press, push ups, lunges, planks etc. and split them into 2 workouts. I'm still on a small 8 pound weight and wanted to move up to a 10 but decided to add a second workout instead. Once I work my way up to doing 3 sets each on the second then I'll hopefully move up to the 10 pound weight. 

7 hours ago, Harriet said:

Ah, okay, I was thinking like a doctoral supervisor, and was wondering if there's a PhD where you have to write a novel instead of a monograph :P 

Nope, although that would be cool. :) 

5 hours ago, Novaurora said:

More power to you for powering through this.  You're making me feel guilty for the novel I abandoned at just over 100k words.  But I have a feeling, after 2 years away I wouldn't even know where to start.  

great job keeping up your edits!!  Cutting the fat feels so good.

Thanks! :) Oops, LOL, sorry I don't mean to make anyone feel guilty. I'm sure you'll get back to it when you're ready, or even start a new one. :) 

4 hours ago, Bean Sidhe said:

I would say try putting new soil in. The original plant may have even died due to using all the nutrients from the soil. For my house plants (the Citrus trees, ect) I tend to put some fertilizer in or new soil at least once a year. Sometimes I will fully repot, sometimes I will see the roots have been exposed from the watering and just cover those. The light can depend on the plant. I have had some plants that are fine with just regular light, although I have been switching to daylight bulbs through the house (Its amazing how colored light is once you put in a full spectrum one).  fluorescent light is good, since it has that range that plants need. That is what I have over my seedlings. The citrus is picky, so I picked up some cheap LED plant lights from Amazon and they love it. It all depends on the plant.

Hopefully the weekend goes well with the writing and the day job can wait.

Hmm okay, I'll have to try some new soil then. And see if I can find a little plant light and see how that works, that sounds cool. Thanks. :) And the writing went really well today, thanks. :) I'll write more about it in a minute. 

4 hours ago, Scalyfreak said:

I suggest putting physical barriers in place to make that more difficult.

Turn off your work computer at the end of the work day, leave the room, and don't go back in there until it's time to work again the following day. If you get your work emails on your smartphone, uninstall the apps, or at least turn off all notifications.

I also highly recommend dedicating time to figuring out a system for organizing your emails and your ToDo list in a way that works for you and makes it very easy for you to keep track of what you are working on and what the priority of each task is, what your deadlines are, etc. I had no idea how much the massive backlog of emails that was just sitting in my inbox was stressing me until I figured out how to stay on top of incoming emails and immediately either get rid of them, respond to them, or delegate them.

I have a number of bookmarks on my work laptop that really helped me figure out a way to stay organized, that I'm happy to share if you're interested? It'll have to wait until I'm at work tomorrow and on break though. Absolutely no logging in to the work laptop on weekends!

Yeah I'd love that if you wouldn't mind. :) 

• Like 1

So I emailed the author who taught the class yesterday and asked her if there were any notes she could send me since I missed it and she said yes! She sent me the notes from yesterday's class and another one I didn't even know about. Score.

Anyway, I pretty much ignored the world for about 5 hours this morning and revised/edited 10 pages and finished the chapter. I'm still not sure about the last 2 pages, I think I could fiddle with them more, but I'll let my mentor take a look and see what she says. And of course now I'm worried that it's too long and that the pacing is off and I'm wondering if the whole thing needs to be completely redone. Gr. But otherwise, it's done for now and now I need to go back to chapter 16 and give it a quick once over. After that, both of them are being sent off to my mentor with my fingers crossed. 

Now I need to focus on other things, like make sure I eat better this afternoon, because I didn't do that this morning. Plan for the rest of the afternoon:

Read for an hour or two

Cook something semi-healthy for dinner

Shred papers (at least a few since I didn't do it yesterday)

• Like 3
17 hours ago, Jupiter said:

Yeah I'd love that if you wouldn't mind. :) 

Here you go:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jeffboss/2015/03/20/how-to-overcome-the-analysis-paralysis-of-decision-making/#512409ce1be5

https://lifehacker.com/productivity-101-a-primer-to-the-getting-things-done-1551880955

https://lifehacker.com/how-to-prioritize-when-everything-is-important-5877111

https://lifehacker.com/productivity-101-a-primer-to-the-pomodoro-technique-1598992730

Note that I'm not strictly following any one of these methods, I'm using a mix of these and others that I no longer have links to. Basically, I followed the "adopt what works for me and ignore the rest" principle, and have arrived at something that works well for me. :)

I highly recommend OneNote for ToDo lists, by the way. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
On 5/10/2020 at 6:59 PM, Jupiter said:

I'm still not sure about the last 2 pages, I think I could fiddle with them more, but I'll let my mentor take a look and see what she says. And of course now I'm worried that it's too long and that the pacing is off and I'm wondering if the whole thing needs to be completely redone. Gr. But otherwise, it's done for now and now I need to go back to chapter 16 and give it a quick once over. After that, both of them are being sent off to my mentor with my fingers crossed. 

Yasss great job on getting this done!  Hope your mentor has some good, constructive criticism!!  

I'm totally kidnapping some of the articles @Scalyfreak shared.  

I love that the author was willing to give you the notes from the class!

• Like 2
9 hours ago, Scalyfreak said:

Here you go:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jeffboss/2015/03/20/how-to-overcome-the-analysis-paralysis-of-decision-making/#512409ce1be5

https://lifehacker.com/productivity-101-a-primer-to-the-getting-things-done-1551880955

https://lifehacker.com/productivity-101-a-primer-to-the-pomodoro-technique-1598992730

Note that I'm not strictly following any one of these methods, I'm using a mix of these and others that I no longer have links to. Basically, I followed the "adopt what works for me and ignore the rest" principle, and have arrived at something that works well for me. :)

Sweet, thank you! :D 

2 hours ago, Novaurora said:

Yasss great job on getting this done!  Hope your mentor has some good, constructive criticism!!  

I'm totally kidnapping some of the articles @Scalyfreak shared.  

I love that the author was willing to give you the notes from the class!

Thanks! And me too. :D 

• Like 2

So I cooked bone-in chicken thighs last night (as I have not cooked real meat in a very long while, I consider this a pretty big win). They weren't bad, just kind of bland. I threw on some salt, pepper and lemon juice, but maybe I didn't add enough. Anyway, read some last night also, but it started to get a little depressing so I switched to a non-fiction book instead. 

On to today. Work was kind of crazy (as it usually is). Every file was a rush file and needed to be done asap, which meant that nothing ended up being done asap. And then we were given more files to help out others who needed help. And then I was given more rush files for tomorrow. Oi. There must be something in the water. Anyway, stats for today:

Strength training - 3 sets

Fruit - 2 servings

Veggies - 2 servings

Still ate all the snacks, but now I'm officially out (except for the healthy ones), so now I just need to keep myself from buying more. Somehow. No revisions yet today (well, I tweaked chapter 17 a little bit, I realized there was a tiny plot issue but it was easily fixed with an extra paragraph) but I'm going to try to get in at least a page. I still have to go through all my emails from my mentor and figure out how I'm going to fix the bit that I skipped. I was also thinking about putting my outlines back on pause. As much as I want to finish them, I need to focus on this novel and gather all my notes together. So I think those will be the only two things I work on for right now, writing-wise. 

And my dog just came in from outside covered in grass and dirt. Oi. 

ETA: I should add that she looked very proud of herself, and I just burst out laughing because omg. 

• Like 5
11 hours ago, Jupiter said:

And my dog just came in from outside covered in grass and dirt. Oi. 

ETA: I should add that she looked very proud of herself, and I just burst out laughing because omg. 

Agent K9 does this. He loves to go out after a bath and roll around in the grass and hes so happy because he is clean and grassy.  Silly critters.  

Good luck on the writing. and I hope work is calmer today.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Jupiter said:

So I cooked bone-in chicken thighs last night (as I have not cooked real meat in a very long while, I consider this a pretty big win). They weren't bad, just kind of bland. I threw on some salt, pepper and lemon juice, but maybe I didn't add enough

Ooo, cooking talk! :) 

Chicken doesn't have a lot of flavor on its own and for some reason it seems to absorb seasonings and need a lot more than it seems to need, in order to become not-bland. When I cook chicken thighs I season with garlic salt, pepper, rosemary, and white wine, and that seems to work very well. 

• Like 2
12 hours ago, Bean Sidhe said:

Agent K9 does this. He loves to go out after a bath and roll around in the grass and hes so happy because he is clean and grassy.  Silly critters.  

Good luck on the writing. and I hope work is calmer today.

LOL yes, they are. And thank you. :)  Work ended up being super stressful, but I'll talk about that in a sec. 

12 hours ago, Scalyfreak said:

Ooo, cooking talk! :) 

Chicken doesn't have a lot of flavor on its own and for some reason it seems to absorb seasonings and need a lot more than it seems to need, in order to become not-bland. When I cook chicken thighs I season with garlic salt, pepper, rosemary, and white wine, and that seems to work very well. 

Oh, cool, I'll have to give that a try. Thanks. :) 

Okay, so today. Not the best day. I don't know if it's just me or what but no one seems to have any patience this week. Everyone wants everything done right now and if it isn't then they start bugging me constantly about it (which is not unusual actually, but I feel like it's worse this week for some reason). The stress was so bad I got a tension headache and grabbed my Nutella jar. Then after work I tried to read through chapter 16 again, but instead I sat thinking about everything I needed to fix and second guessing every single choice I've made in the entire novel. Gotta admit, it's causing me a little bit of anxiety. But I wrote out my thought process and I think I figured out some of it (again. It changes constantly. Fickle brain). I'm also emailing my mentor with questions and hopefully she can offer me some insight. And tell me to stop second guessing everything. Because I really should do that. 

Anyway, rest day. Also got in one serving of fruit and one serving of veggies.  

• Like 6
24 minutes ago, Jupiter said:

Then after work I tried to read through chapter 16 again, but instead I sat thinking about everything I needed to fix and second guessing every single choice I've made in the entire novel. Gotta admit, it's causing me a little bit of anxiety. But I wrote out my thought process and I think I figured out some of it (again. It changes constantly. Fickle brain). I'm also emailing my mentor with questions and hopefully she can offer me some insight. And tell me to stop second guessing everything. Because I really should do that. 

I've gotten stuck on short stories. So I'm guessing a novel has the potential to create a lot more traps and uncertainty. Have you been through this process before, or is this your first novel? Can you take the black hat off and just brainstorm/write up a bunch of possible solutions to the dilemmas? 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Jupiter said:

I don't know if it's just me or what but no one seems to have any patience this week.

Don't they know that things go more slowly if they interrupt your work all the time? I mean, I get it, if I'd want a mortgage I'd also want it asap, but calling/mailing you doesn't make it faster!

• Like 2
On 5/11/2020 at 6:22 PM, Scalyfreak said:

Here you go:

Thanks for those links, they're actually useful :). I was lost in the productivity-articles a bit, even though I have plenty of time for everything right now, but they might help me with maintaining more spoons ;).

• Like 4

Sucks to hear about your work lacking insight like that...

Fortunately your doggo makea you laugh a bit :) When I was a teen I couldn't really get that article where it said that babies laugh X large amount more than adults but I am starting to notice it now... 😅

Good job writing down your thought process! Yeah fickle brains indeed....

• Like 2
9 hours ago, Jupiter said:

Okay, so today. Not the best day. I don't know if it's just me or what but no one seems to have any patience this week.

Not just you. I am also wondering if since people have been so separated that they assume that people have only been working on their stuff and have forgotten how to listen, Or maybe that is just me and my job lately.

Even as a non-writer, I totally agree that brains are fickle things.

Hope today is better.

• Like 2