• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Jupiter

Jupiter Switches Things Up

22 hours ago, Harriet said:

I've gotten stuck on short stories. So I'm guessing a novel has the potential to create a lot more traps and uncertainty. Have you been through this process before, or is this your first novel? Can you take the black hat off and just brainstorm/write up a bunch of possible solutions to the dilemmas? 

I've written a few novels before (all very terrible LOL) but I've completely changed my process for this one, so in a way this is all new for me. Yeah I think I'll have to try that. Maybe just print out my outline, go through it and start brainstorming. Thanks for the suggestion. :) 

21 hours ago, Scalyfreak said:

I love cooking, and I'm always happy to talk about it. :) 

Cool, I may pick your brain at a later date if you don't mind. ;) 

18 hours ago, Waanie said:

Don't they know that things go more slowly if they interrupt your work all the time? I mean, I get it, if I'd want a mortgage I'd also want it asap, but calling/mailing you doesn't make it faster!

Nope, it certainly doesn't, and yet they keep doing it. 

16 hours ago, analoggirl said:

Sucks to hear about your work lacking insight like that...

Fortunately your doggo makea you laugh a bit :) When I was a teen I couldn't really get that article where it said that babies laugh X large amount more than adults but I am starting to notice it now... 😅

Good job writing down your thought process! Yeah fickle brains indeed....

Yeah she is the bright spot in my day. You should have seen her this morning after she came in from outside. Her face was covered in grass and pollen, the silly girl. And re the laughing, yeah I can see that. Babies are carefree, adults unfortunately are not LOL. And thanks. :) 

13 hours ago, Bean Sidhe said:

Not just you. I am also wondering if since people have been so separated that they assume that people have only been working on their stuff and have forgotten how to listen, Or maybe that is just me and my job lately.

Even as a non-writer, I totally agree that brains are fickle things.

Hope today is better.

Nope, not just you. It totally sounds like my job right now too. Also our volume is still really high and I don't think they really get that that means it takes longer to get things done. They still want things to to be done in the normal time frame but it's just not happening right now. But anyway, thank you. :) 

Today was worse. Everyone kept emailing me every five minutes about different things with their files and I barely got anything done for half the morning. After only about 2 hours in I got fed up and put my email on do not disturb and ignored them all so I could get some actual work done. Then they started calling. I ignored those too. Thankfully my supervisor stepped in since she was cc'ed on a few of my emails and took care of some of it for me. Finally by the afternoon it quieted down. The work itself didn't slow down, but at least I didn't have everyone and their brother wanting my attention every five minutes. Still, by the end of the day, I was done. Usually I leave my work email open so I can at least keep an eye on it. Today I logged out of everything as soon as I left because I just didn't want to look at it. Now all I want to do is get some writing work done, if I can, and then watch Motherland: Fort Salem. 

• Like 7

11 hours ago, Jupiter said:

Cool, I may pick your brain at a later date if you don't mind. ;) 

Not in the least. I like talking about cooking, remember? :)

And I share your frustration with being tugged in several different directions by frantic co-workers who all have an emergency they believe is the most important thing in the world, and you have to fix it right this instant or the sky will fall... 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Scalyfreak said:

Not in the least. I like talking about cooking, remember? :)

LOL yeah, and thanks. :D 

13 hours ago, Scalyfreak said:

And I share your frustration with being tugged in several different directions by frantic co-workers who all have an emergency they believe is the most important thing in the world, and you have to fix it right this instant or the sky will fall...

Yeah, it's rough. 

12 hours ago, Waanie said:

Wow, that sounds crazy. Good for you for muting them all and just getting on with it :).

Yup, definitely crazy. And thanks. :) Technically we're not supposed to do that, we're supposed to always be available, but at that point, I was just like, screw it LOL. 

5 hours ago, Bean Sidhe said:

Glad your supervisor was understanding. I totally understand logging out and staying out after a day like that.

Yeah, she has her moments. And yeah, it was definitely one of those days. 

So writing didn't really happen yesterday. I tried reading through a few pages but I was too stressed out and couldn't get into a good head space. What I did do:

Yoga: 10 minutes

Fruit: 2 servings

Veggies: 2 servings

Read: 30ish minutes

On to today. Work was much better. Still had some people bugging me constantly for things, but at least it was at a normal, manageable level and I didn't have people coming at me from all sides. After work was our monthly book club meeting (on a conference call) and the meeting got hacked, so that was interesting. We had to set up another meeting and try again, and that one was thankfully hacker free. Some of the conversation was interesting, and some of it was not, so I ended up only half listening as everyone talked, and I didn't really say much. Still, it was nice to be social for a little bit. The meeting ran a little longer than expected, so I didn't get as much writing work done as I was hoping. But I do think I figured out one of the plot issues that was stressing me out the other day. Need to catch up on everyone's threads too, but that may have to happen this weekend. Anyway, stats:

Fruit: 1 serving

Veggies: 1 serving

Revisions: 2 pages

And now, bed because it's been a long day (long week) and I'm tired. Hope everyone has a good night. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Scalyfreak said:

So your book club uses Zoom then?

Yup. They were talking about switching to something else but nothing's been decided yet. Though it seemed to work fine when they added a password and everything (they didn't use precautions for the one that was hacked) so I don't know. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Jupiter said:

Yup. They were talking about switching to something else but nothing's been decided yet. Though it seemed to work fine when they added a password and everything (they didn't use precautions for the one that was hacked) so I don't know. 

Okay. So what people call "hacking" or Zoom bombing, or whatever you want to call it, is actually largely possible because of user error.

You know how Zoom has that permanent meeting link, that has your Permanent Meeting ID in it? That's an unrestricted link that allows any person at any time to enter, as long as they have the URL. If someone in your book club posted a screenshot of the meeting to their social media, they shared that meeting ID for the world to use. And technically, that's not hacking. That's just someone who is tech savvy enough to reconstruct the URL and take advantage of a pretty major blunder. 😉

I've spent the past couple of weeks reassuring and calming down in-work hysteria over the perceived "lack of security" in Zoom, and it has made me a bit snarky, so apologies if that was harsh. I found myself using the phrase, "just don't post screenshots of work meetings on your Instagram" more than once last week. :rolleyes:

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Scalyfreak said:

Okay. So what people call "hacking" or Zoom bombing, or whatever you want to call it, is actually largely possible because of user error.

You know how Zoom has that permanent meeting link, that has your Permanent Meeting ID in it? That's an unrestricted link that allows any person at any time to enter, as long as they have the URL. If someone in your book club posted a screenshot of the meeting to their social media, they shared that meeting ID for the world to use. And technically, that's not hacking. That's just someone who is tech savvy enough to reconstruct the URL and take advantage of a pretty major blunder. 😉

I've spent the past couple of weeks reassuring and calming down in-work hysteria over the perceived "lack of security" in Zoom, and it has made me a bit snarky, so apologies if that was harsh. I found myself using the phrase, "just don't post screenshots of work meetings on your Instagram" more than once last week. :rolleyes:

No, not harsh at all. I'm not super tech savvy myself so I appreciate the insight. :)

• Like 3

Welp, the week is over and the exhaustion from the all stress has finally hit me. Ate like crap (I did have 1 serving of fruit at least) and barely got through 20 minutes of yoga. Still plan on getting some writing work done (and I have a million other things that need to be done besides) but for the next few hours I'm going to read my book and that's it. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Jupiter said:

No, not harsh at all. I'm not super tech savvy myself so I appreciate the insight. :)

Good to know. It's hard to tell how things come across in writing sometimes. 

And this has more info, if you want to learn more about how to keep the bok club safe from intruders: https://blog.zoom.us/wordpress/2020/03/20/keep-uninvited-guests-out-of-your-zoom-event/

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Jupiter said:

Welp, the week is over and the exhaustion from the all stress has finally hit me. Ate like crap (I did have 1 serving of fruit at least) and barely got through 20 minutes of yoga. Still plan on getting some writing work done (and I have a million other things that need to be done besides) but for the next few hours I'm going to read my book and that's it. 

Enjoy your reading break and weekend! Yoga and vegetables can wait until tomorrow, I reckon.

• Like 2

On 5/15/2020 at 7:20 PM, Harriet said:

Enjoy your reading break and weekend! Yoga and vegetables can wait until tomorrow, I reckon.

Thanks! :) 

I was so tired this morning so I told myself I was going to rest today. Instead I did:

2 loads of laundry

Decluttered and got rid of another box of stuff

Put a bunch of old/gross/broken stuff out for bulk trash pick up

Finished a drawing (sort of), but honestly I haven't drawn anything in weeks so it's really bad and should not be posted (I definitely need to practice more)

Took a virtual writing class

Did some strength training for a few minutes

Cooked something for dinner

Shredded some papers

I was going to try to revise a few pages tonight, then changed my mind and decided to just write up some notes because I'm tired, but now I can't brain enough to do even that. I just stared at my mass of post-notes and couldn't even figure out where to start. At least I made sure to have 1 serving of fruit and 1 serving of veggies, and I did some strength training even if I didn't do all the exercises that I'd planned on doing. Now I think I'll go read before bed. 

• Like 6

Lots of writer stuff if you want to skip:

Spoiler

Long work day today. I typed up all my post-it notes into a word document (some I didn't because they didn't really apply anymore) and went through my notes app on my phone and typed up some of that (there are a lot of notes on my app, but most of it either no longer applies or I've used it already). I still have two folders full of notes that my mentor wrote on the paper drafts I gave her before we went digital/virtual, but I'll go through those as I go along.

Anyway, I've decided to start going back through the novel from the beginning. It's just too hard to keep going when some of the things that are in later chapters actually need to go earlier which will affect how the later chapters are written. I don't think the later chapters need a complete rewrite, it's more shifting a few things around to make the pieces fit better and adding more details. I think. But I don't know, for some reason I just can't make my brain work with things as they are. And also the stress that keeps popping up is driving me nuts. So, back to the beginning we go. I want to try to work on the later chapters simultaneously but I'm not sure that's going to work very well. We'll see.

So anyway, after I typed up all my notes, I worked on chapter 1 and made some minor tweaks, did some research, took a break, then did some more minor tweaks. Got through 8 pages in about 4-ish hours overall. I need to go through it one more time tomorrow and make sure my changes look good, then I'm moving on. I may have my mentor look at it again, too, I haven't decided yet. Sorry if this is a jumbled mess, my brain is basically mush right now. 

I was supposed to cook dinner tonight but that didn't happen, and I wasn't able to avoid snacking. But I did have 1 serving of fruit and 1 serving of veggies. So I guess that counts as a win? Oh, and I'm up to 27/50 books read this year. Need to find more Urban Fantasy books to read. 

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, Chesire said:

wait.  what is urban fantasy?

It's a subgenre of the fantasy genre, basically fantasy set in a modern setting. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Not much to report on the work front, just that we're still super busy. Today was also abnormally quiet, which was really nice. Anyway, on to stats:

Fitness:

- Strength training 3 sets: ✔️ - also added 2 more reps to two exercises. It was much harder than I thought it would be. And my knee started to really hurt doing back lunges for some reason, to the point I had to stop and switch to an arm exercise until the pain went away. When I went back to the lunges, my knee was thankfully fine, so maybe I just didn't do the form right the first time. (Or I can just blame playing too much softball in high school, which I usually do whenever my knees hurt. Stupid softball.) 

Nutrition:

- Fruit: 0 - I'm all out of fruit until the next grocery run. 

- Veggies: 1

Intellectual:

- Revisions: Only 2 pages of chapter 1. Came across a possible plot issue and thought for a moment that I would have to rewrite the whole thing again but then realized I'm overthinking things and there is a simple, easy solution that does not require me to rewrite the entire chapter, just tweak a paragraph or two. Thank goodness. And also win, because I didn't freak out or panic, I thought through it and figured out an easy solution. 

Misc:

Read: 30 minutes

Cook: Eh, made a baked potato, but it counts.

• Like 6

Yay lol you deserve a quiet work day. Reading your post about all the emails you got and how they kept coming and eventually turned to phone calls was irksome. 

Sorry about your knee but smart for stopping to give it a break!  Have you had any more side effects afterwards?

• Like 2

On 5/18/2020 at 7:19 PM, ReturnOfTheDad said:

Late to the party but out from under my rock and following. Sounds like good progress!

Thanks! :) 

14 hours ago, Rookie said:

Yay lol you deserve a quiet work day. Reading your post about all the emails you got and how they kept coming and eventually turned to phone calls was irksome. 

LOL thanks. :) Normally it's not quite that bad, but that day it was just utter insanity. I couldn't even believe it. 

14 hours ago, Rookie said:

Sorry about your knee but smart for stopping to give it a break!  Have you had any more side effects afterwards?

Thanks! No, it was totally fine after my workout and all through today. So I'm not sure what the deal was. 

• Like 1

Another quiet work day, thank goodness, though I have a feeling that will not be the case tomorrow. Guess we'll see. Anyway, stats:

Fitness:

- Rest day

Nutrition:

- Fruit: 0 - still out

- Veggies: 1 serving

Intellectual:

- Revisions: Only 2 pages, but I feel pretty good about it. I think I'm finally through the hard part of this chapter. I'll clean it up tomorrow before going through the rest of the chapter but otherwise I actually really like it. It's way better than it was before. And the best part, I didn't have to do any major rewrites, just tweak a few paragraphs and add some more details. Granted, it took a few hours, but still. Win. 

Misc:

- Read: 10 minutes

- Cook: Made popcorn chicken, nothing fancy. I've also been trying to snack less (as I have no more snacks, this is easy), but I don't think it's working out so well. The past few days I felt like I was dying of starvation by like 3 or 4 o'clock. Thank goodness I'm getting groceries tomorrow. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Jupiter said:

popcorn chicken

At first I was confused, and thought it would be a great gimmicky idea to bread chicken with popcorn instead of breadcrumbs. I have no idea if that would work :lol:.

Anyway, I'm glad that you had a few quiet days at work, you earned it :). Good job on adding two reps to all your strength-training things as well!

• Haha 2

Yay groceries! Which reminds me I still need to meal plan for the next 2 weeks and figure out a grocery list lol BUT DONT WANNA. 

Popcorn chicken sounds pretty fancy. I love popcorn chicken.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Jupiter said:

- Revisions: Only 2 pages, but I feel pretty good about it. I think I'm finally through the hard part of this chapter.

Nice!

21 hours ago, Jupiter said:

I've also been trying to snack less (as I have no more snacks, this is easy), but I don't think it's working out so well. The past few days I felt like I was dying of starvation by like 3 or 4 o'clock. Thank goodness I'm getting groceries tomorrow. 

Ah, the good old actually-there's-nothing-in-the-house diet.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1