• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Jupiter

Jupiter Switches Things Up

On 5/23/2020 at 11:52 PM, analoggirl said:

I spent most of my teens telling myself I was a Gryffindor/Slytherin but since a few years I accepted that I am a Hufflepuff/Ravenclaw:D Only a Slytherin when someone tries to hurt my friends or family - then I let an opportunistic streak show its head as well - but that isn't that much unlike a Hufflepuff and/or a Ravenclaw either hahaha

So, uh, a bit of everything? :P 

• Haha 4

37 minutes ago, Harriet said:

So, uh, a bit of everything? :P 

Yes, I do think I could play nice with everyone 👼

• Like 3

On 5/23/2020 at 9:13 PM, Scalyfreak said:

There's a quiz on the Pottermore website that asks you a bunch of questions about how you would behave in various situations and then sorts you into a house, if you are interested. :) 

Sweet, I'll have to check it out. Thanks. :) 

On 5/23/2020 at 10:13 PM, Harriet said:

I....

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47021f117ac606ddf659

Yeah, alright. 

Snape Approves GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

On 5/23/2020 at 11:38 PM, Waanie said:

At least your own choice is important to the Sorting Hat as well :). I always interpreted that as that the houses represents the person you want to be, not who you are at the moment.

Oh I like this interpretation. :D 

4 hours ago, analoggirl said:

Yes, I do think I could play nice with everyone 👼

LOL nice. :D 

6 hours ago, ReturnOfTheDad said:

Awesome, you got this!

Thanks! :) 

• Like 3

On 5/23/2020 at 5:08 PM, Jupiter said:

- Strength training

- 1 serving of veggies (had 2 servings of fruit already so I can check that off my list)

- Revise 2 pages 

- More reading

Okay, so checks all around for Saturday. Barely, but still. Didn't get much sleep Saturday night and felt brain dead all Sunday, so I did nothing except binge watch a TV show that I hadn't had a chance to see yet. Although really it was helpful because the main character is similar to mine so it was helpful to study it and see how they did things. So, I guess it was still kind of work? Didn't really worry about eating healthy though, and honestly today I'm not super into it either (though I did have some veggies and fruit yesterday and just some fruit today without really thinking about it). 

Anyway, the plan for today is:

- Revise 5 pages

- Cook

- Strength train

- Read

The Harry Potter marathon continues, so gonna try to get some work done while there's still daylight left. 

• Like 6

So apparently I'm a Ravenclaw like I thought I might be. Interesting. :D 

Anyway, today didn't go as well as I'd hoped. Only got through 3 pages of revisions, which I'll have to go back through tomorrow, and while I did do strength training I didn't do as many reps as I wanted to. I started out strong with doing extra reps but by the end I could barely do my minimum and I felt kind of like Pikachu in this gif:

Pikachu does not lift - GIF on Imgur

No cooking either. Tried to read some too but I was so tired that I couldn't really focus on it. Guess I'll try again tomorrow. 

• Like 8

3 hours ago, Novaurora said:

That's the spirit!  How was today???

Thanks! :) Um, today was a little better. I updated a few points on my outline, then got through 2 pages of chapter 2 and cut like 3 or 4 more pages, so progress. I was actually really focused today, and like 3 hours went by before I noticed anything LOL. Good thing I wasn't hungry for dinner because I didn't end up cooking anything. But I had 1 serving of fruit at least, and I read for like, 10 to 20 minutes. 

• Like 5

On 5/25/2020 at 7:11 PM, Jupiter said:

So apparently I'm a Ravenclaw like I thought I might be. Interesting. :D 

A very respectable choice.

On 5/25/2020 at 7:11 PM, Jupiter said:

Anyway, today didn't go as well as I'd hoped. Only got through 3 pages of revisions, which I'll have to go back through tomorrow, and while I did do strength training I didn't do as many reps as I wanted to. I started out strong with doing extra reps but by the end I could barely do my minimum and I felt kind of like Pikachu in this gif:

3 pages is better than 2 pages. And some reps is better than no reps. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Harriet said:

A very respectable choice.

Thanks! :D 

10 minutes ago, Harriet said:

3 pages is better than 2 pages. And some reps is better than no reps. 

Yeah that's true. I always feel like I should be doing more though. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Jupiter said:

Yeah that's true. I always feel like I should be doing more though. 

This is such a nasty pitfall! Especially for strength-training, I'm not convinced that going all out is much better than leaving one rep in the tank.

You're doing great!

• Like 4

On 5/25/2020 at 10:11 PM, Jupiter said:

Pikachu does not lift - GIF on Imgur

That's ok, strength training isn't a single line or curve trending upwards. Sometimes your muscles just say "Nope!" for today. They're still improving, even if it doesn't feel like it - though take care not to push past the pain and injure yourself in your frustration, I've done that more than once out of frustration

• Like 3

Sounds like even if you had a couple of off days, you are still doing great. I will say you are ahead of me. I am not even in the "use weights yet" stage since mine is more bodyweight (I have enough of that to use).  Keep up the good work.

• Like 2

On 5/27/2020 at 2:40 AM, Waanie said:

This is such a nasty pitfall! Especially for strength-training, I'm not convinced that going all out is much better than leaving one rep in the tank.

You're doing great!

Yeah, true. Unfortunately I fall into it quite a lot LOL. Thanks! :) 

On 5/27/2020 at 7:20 AM, NightWatcher13 said:

That's ok, strength training isn't a single line or curve trending upwards. Sometimes your muscles just say "Nope!" for today. They're still improving, even if it doesn't feel like it - though take care not to push past the pain and injure yourself in your frustration, I've done that more than once out of frustration

Yeah, that's true, just, like you said, frustrating. And I'll definitely have to make sure I don't overdo it and get hurt, because knowing me that'll happen if I'm not careful LOL.  

12 hours ago, Bean Sidhe said:

Sounds like even if you had a couple of off days, you are still doing great. I will say you are ahead of me. I am not even in the "use weights yet" stage since mine is more bodyweight (I have enough of that to use).  Keep up the good work.

Thanks, I'm doing my best. :)  Just need to remind myself of that more often instead of criticizing myself all the time for not doing enough or being "on" all the time. And hey, bodyweight work is just as hard as weights in my opinion, so I think you're doing pretty awesome. :) 

Oi, in the middle of month end madness and it's, well, madness. I had to leave work a little earlier than I usually do today for an appointment, and it was like they knew that I had to leave early because everyone bombarded me with extra work half an hour before I had to leave. I ended up having to give most of it to my manager as I was running out the door. I feel kind of bad about it because I threw it at her last minute, but then again, it was all given to me last minute, so...  

Also one of my cousins texted me the other day freaking out because she thought her step-mom/my aunt had emailed her (they haven't spoken in years), and asked me if there was anything wrong that she needed to know about. I didn't really have any idea because they don't talk to me either, but she seemed kind of upset by it, and maybe a little hurt (rightly so). But turns out it was a spam email and she ended up being relieved that it was just spam and not her step-mom. The sad state of my family right there. 

Anyway, on to stats for the last two days. Was almost about to criticize myself and say I didn't do well, but I didn't (technically I did (I typed it out) but then I told myself not to do that and deleted it). I missed my yoga workout but I had 2 servings of vegetables and 1 serving of fruit (I'm out now so have to grab groceries tomorrow probably). Didn't get much done on the writing front. I've been really anxious about it the last two days, but I'm focusing on making changes to my outline and restructuring it and I feel better about it. I'm still not quite sure about the story overall, but I do feel better about it. I just need to finish the outline, and I should still be able to finish revising chapter 2 by the end of the weekend. Hopefully. 

• Like 7

9 hours ago, Jupiter said:

it was like they knew that I had to leave early because everyone bombarded me with extra work half an hour before I had to leave. I ended up having to give most of it to my manager as I was running out the door. I feel kind of bad about it because I threw it at her last minute, but then again, it was all given to me last minute, so...  

That is very annoying, though I'm guessing they didn't do it on purpose. They're not the kind of people who would palm work off on you at the end of the day, are they?

9 hours ago, Jupiter said:

Anyway, on to stats for the last two days. Was almost about to criticize myself and say I didn't do well, but I didn't (technically I did (I typed it out) but then I told myself not to do that and deleted it). I missed my yoga workout but I had 2 servings of vegetables and 1 serving of fruit (I'm out now so have to grab groceries tomorrow probably). Didn't get much done on the writing front. I've been really anxious about it the last two days, but I'm focusing on making changes to my outline and restructuring it and I feel better about it. I'm still not quite sure about the story overall, but I do feel better about it. I just need to finish the outline, and I should still be able to finish revising chapter 2 by the end of the weekend. Hopefully. 

You're doing fine :) It's nice that the story is coming along, in a non-linear way (I wonder if anyone ever just sits down and writes a novel from start to finish :D).

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Harriet said:

That is very annoying, though I'm guessing they didn't do it on purpose. 

Oh no, I know they didn't do it on purpose. If they'd known I was leaving a little earlier than normal they would have given the work to someone else, but my supervisor helped me out so it's all good. I was just aiming for irony and a little humor but I don't think it came across very well LOL. 

26 minutes ago, Harriet said:

They're not the kind of people who would palm work off on you at the end of the day, are they?

Eh, I wouldn't say anyone palms work off on me, just that a lot of the work just happens to come in late a lot of the time, especially around month end, and some people just want their files done regardless of how late it is. The work never seems to really stop here. I used to work 12 to 15 hour days for years before I finally put my foot down and told them I wouldn't do it anymore. Now I usually work around 9 to 10 hours a day.  

36 minutes ago, Harriet said:

You're doing fine :) It's nice that the story is coming along, in a non-linear way (I wonder if anyone ever just sits down and writes a novel from start to finish :D).

Thanks. :) And yeah LOL, I don't know, maybe some do. I know I did on my last few, but it doesn't seem to be working out that way this time around. :D 

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Jupiter said:

I used to work 12 to 15 hour days for years before I finally put my foot down and told them I wouldn't do it anymore.

I feel like I should clarify this statement. I asked them if I could work fewer overtime hours so I could work on my writing and they very generously allowed it. 

Okay, so work today was crazy. I had to work 2 to 3 files at the same time and then switch to the next 3 and so on and by the end I couldn't even remember which way was up or down because my attention kept having to switch back and forth constantly between all of them. I usually have a pretty good work flow but today there was no work flow. It was just a mess and I'm honestly surprised I got done as much as I did. And even at the end of the day after I've already clocked out I still have people asking where their files are. I have too many and we're short staffed so I couldn't have anything reassigned, which means I'm going to have a lot for Monday. Should be fun. Hopefully no one complains about their files being a little late. Complaints are a big no no, because if someone complains about you even once then you get reassigned from that group because they don't want to work with you anymore. 

Anyway, things I've done since clocking out:

- 2 loads of laundry

- Ran the dishwasher

- Had 1 serving of veggies

- Did 22 minutes of yoga

- Cleaned

I need to keep working on my outline but all I want to do is sit and do nothing. So I'm going to do a little reading. My mentor suggested this writing book, Save the Cat! (though I'm reading the "Writes a Novel" version) and it's a pretty decent writing book, for those interested. Also, my hair is driving me nuts. I have an appointment in 3 weeks to get it cut, and I don't know how I'm going to last that long. 

• Like 6

Your work sounds so unfair from time to time! I hope they're paying you well, since you have to do so much in such a crazy way. And having a hefty penalty when you can't fulfil those crazy expectations is madness as well. I hope you'll have a relaxed weekend :).

4 hours ago, Jupiter said:

I need to keep working on my outline but all I want to do is sit and do nothing. So I'm going to do a little reading.

Great plan!

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Waanie said:

Your work sounds so unfair from time to time! I hope they're paying you well, since you have to do so much in such a crazy way. And having a hefty penalty when you can't fulfil those crazy expectations is madness as well. 

Yeah it can be so ridiculous. Sometimes they are so understanding and supportive (with somewhat reasonable expectations) and other times it's like that part of their brain just short circuits and reality no longer computes (I feel like it gets worse the crazier we get). 

I hope you'll have a relaxed weekend :)

Great plan!

Thanks! :) 

So today. Only did:

- 1 load of laundry

- Had 1 serving of fruit

- Read for a little bit

Was so tired that I didn't do any work, though I'm hoping to work a little bit on my outline sometime this evening, but we'll see. In other news, my wrist has been hurting a lot so I got a new mousepad with a wrist rest. It's not uncomfortable but it will take some getting used to. 

• Like 7

23 hours ago, Jupiter said:

I'm reading the "Writes a Novel" version) and it's a pretty decent writing book, for those interested. 

Oh cool. I might tuck that recommendation away for later.

• Like 2

On 5/30/2020 at 7:20 PM, Harriet said:

Oh cool. I might tuck that recommendation away for later.

Yeah, it's a good book, you should definitely check it out when you get a chance. :) 

Okay, so didn't get as much work done as I was hoping today. I was really tired and slept too late, so I mostly read all day and I didn't get around to doing that last load of laundry. Here's what I did do though:

- Had 1 serving of fruit

- Had 1 serving of vegetables

- Worked on my outline (only for about 30 minutes, bleh)

I should also add that I did some strength training yesterday. It was harder than I was expecting and I barely got through it, but I did it. Anyway, I need to figure out how to stop being so tired on the weekends so I can get more work done. (And also still need to figure out how to stop beating myself up when I can't get more work done.)

Also, is anyone excited for the Artemis Fowl movie to come out??

• Like 7

Well, no complaints about me at work so far, and I did twice the amount of work I'm usually able to do, so hopefully that means I'm good LOL. Anyway, on to stats:

- Did my strength training workout B and increased the reps. Started out strong and by the end I was back to the normal amount. Admittedly a little frustrated. I'm seeing a little more definition in my arms and legs but I still feel like I'm gaining weight, and not muscle weight. 

- Had 1 serving of fruit

- Had 1 serving of veggies

- Cooked dinner

- Worked on my outline. Not done with it yet but getting closer. Part of the problem is that I keep getting pulled away by stray thoughts and bits of dialogue that I want to add in different chapters so I just write them down all over the place. I need to get my notes organized again. It's amazing how quickly they get out of hand. I'm also feeling a little more confident about my novel I think. I have a lot of stuff happening that aren't as connected as they should be, so with the restructuring I'm figuring out how to fix all that without having to rewrite the whole thing (my biggest fear right now). 

- Cleaned for a few minutes and took out the trash

All things considered, not bad for a Monday. 

• Like 6

5 hours ago, Jupiter said:

Part of the problem is that I keep getting pulled away by stray thoughts and bits of dialogue that I want to add in different chapters so I just write them down all over the place.

SO RELATABLE.

I keep getting these "open loops" that get triggered even by just writing one sentence. (To use GTD terminology, where you write down all of the open loops in your brain that are keeping you from tackling your day mindfully.)

Or even before writing that one sentence.

I have been trying to combat this by sticking 1 A3 sheet of paper per chapter on my walls and writing my thoughts down in pencil / adding sticky notes. Pen only if I am REALLY SURE about it haha. I have erasable Frixxion pens but they give out faster when I write with the point facing the wall.

Also it helps having my chapters etc. In a separate file where I just paste ideas, and a file with the "topics" (not chapters) where blurt out stuff Idk where to put in the ideas file.

And STILL as I just cleared my copy of the ideas+general outline file and deleted the ideas... To start with a fresh new "canvas"... As I  wrote the first 100 words for the day I have about 5 new loops in the next paragraphs haha. Half sentences usually, and I highlight the last couple of words to indicate that's a loop. (That I am 98% sure will go there but I will cross those bridges when I get there...) Oh well.

You can do this!!

• Like 2

Little late on the Harry Potter house talk lol but I am a Hufflepuff which I was totally devastated about when I got "sorted" many years ago.  And its a joke with my friend but now I see its totally true and its a great house ❤️ And I wouldn't have it any other way. 

I have a work "thoughts" file. I write it in Notepad++ because opening new tabs is easy (and its numbered!) and if I shut the program it keeps whatever I wrote :) It helps me keep organized in times of crazy lol I know when I am working on a few different things for work I easily forget my notes I took and its a whole thing but having my little notes in notepad++ has helped lol. Getting organized is always such a challenge but hopefully you find a strategy that works for you. I like analoggirls idea of separate files for different chapters.

You can definitely do this. 

• Like 4