• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Jupiter Switches Things Up

3 minutes ago, Rookie said:

Little late on the Harry Potter house talk lol but I am a Hufflepuff which I was totally devastated about when I got "sorted" many years ago.  And its a joke with my friend but now I see its totally true and its a great house ❤️ And I wouldn't have it any other way. 

I disagreed with the initial sorting, deleted my account, created a new one, and took the quiz again, until I got the house I wanted. If that doesn't prove the initial sorting was wrong and I belong in Slytherin, I don't know what does. 😛 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hey, I made it here for zero week! Anyway, as the title suggests, I'm changing things up. I really like my 100%/10% structure, but I feel like it's not working for me right now. Doing little bits of t

So apparently I'm a Ravenclaw like I thought I might be. Interesting.     Anyway, today didn't go as well as I'd hoped. Only got through 3 pages of revisions, which I'll have to go back thro

Yeah, it's a good book, you should definitely check it out when you get a chance.     ***   Okay, so didn't get as much work done as I was hoping today. I was really tired and slep

14 hours ago, Jupiter said:

Did my strength training workout B and increased the reps. Started out strong and by the end I was back to the normal amount. Admittedly a little frustrated. I'm seeing a little more definition in my arms and legs but I still feel like I'm gaining weight, and not muscle weight. 

Ahhh, the elusive gains. We keep chasing them and they keep trying to wriggle free. 

14 hours ago, Jupiter said:

Worked on my outline. Not done with it yet but getting closer. Part of the problem is that I keep getting pulled away by stray thoughts and bits of dialogue that I want to add in different chapters so I just write them down all over the place. I need to get my notes organized again. It's amazing how quickly they get out of hand. I'm also feeling a little more confident about my novel I think. I have a lot of stuff happening that aren't as connected as they should be, so with the restructuring I'm figuring out how to fix all that without having to rewrite the whole thing (my biggest fear right now). 

I like seeing you figuring all this out. It's a process, and you're going to get through to the end even if it's messy.

1 hour ago, Scalyfreak said:

I disagreed with the initial sorting, deleted my account, created a new one, and took the quiz again, until I got the house I wanted. If that doesn't prove the initial sorting was wrong and I belong in Slytherin, I don't know what does. 😛 

That's meta 

• Like 2

Oi, did too much yesterday, because I've been exhausted all day today. Barely made it through work, then had to go to the pharmacy to pick up my prescription. They were supposed to have it ready a few days ago but they didn't, and I had to call twice to confirm with a pharmacist, who had no idea what I was talking about. Good news, though, they had it ready within an hour of the phone call, so bonus. Anyway, stats:

- Had 1 serving of fruit

- Had 1 serving of veggies

- Worked on my outline for 30 minutes

- Read for a little bit

And now I feel brain dead so I think I'm going to bed. Thanks for all your comments, guys, I'll respond tomorrow. :) 

• Like 4
On 6/2/2020 at 2:01 AM, analoggirl said:

SO RELATABLE.

I keep getting these "open loops" that get triggered even by just writing one sentence. (To use GTD terminology, where you write down all of the open loops in your brain that are keeping you from tackling your day mindfully.)

Or even before writing that one sentence.

I have been trying to combat this by sticking 1 A3 sheet of paper per chapter on my walls and writing my thoughts down in pencil / adding sticky notes. Pen only if I am REALLY SURE about it haha. I have erasable Frixxion pens but they give out faster when I write with the point facing the wall.

Also it helps having my chapters etc. In a separate file where I just paste ideas, and a file with the "topics" (not chapters) where blurt out stuff Idk where to put in the ideas file.

And STILL as I just cleared my copy of the ideas+general outline file and deleted the ideas... To start with a fresh new "canvas"... As I  wrote the first 100 words for the day I have about 5 new loops in the next paragraphs haha. Half sentences usually, and I highlight the last couple of words to indicate that's a loop. (That I am 98% sure will go there but I will cross those bridges when I get there...) Oh well.

I do have separate documents for each chapter, and a separate document for notes but the notes are all basically in one place now (or getting there) and it's becoming a bit of a jumbled mess. Maybe I need to separate them out more like I do with the chapters and stick them in separate documents. Though I may try your way too and put some sheets of paper on the wall and see how that works out. Thanks! :)  

On 6/2/2020 at 2:01 AM, analoggirl said:

You can do this!!

Thank you!! :) 

On 6/2/2020 at 8:44 AM, Rookie said:

Little late on the Harry Potter house talk lol but I am a Hufflepuff which I was totally devastated about when I got "sorted" many years ago.  And its a joke with my friend but now I see its totally true and its a great house ❤️ And I wouldn't have it any other way.

Princess Diaries GIFs | Tenor

On 6/2/2020 at 8:44 AM, Rookie said:

I have a work "thoughts" file. I write it in Notepad++ because opening new tabs is easy (and its numbered!) and if I shut the program it keeps whatever I wrote :) It helps me keep organized in times of crazy lol I know when I am working on a few different things for work I easily forget my notes I took and its a whole thing but having my little notes in notepad++ has helped lol. Getting organized is always such a challenge but hopefully you find a strategy that works for you. I like analoggirls idea of separate files for different chapters.

You can definitely do this. 

Nice. :) I have something like that on my phone but unfortunately that too got very disorganized LOL. 

Thanks! :) 

On 6/2/2020 at 8:48 AM, Scalyfreak said:

LOL works for me. :D 

On 6/2/2020 at 10:46 AM, Harriet said:

Ahhh, the elusive gains. We keep chasing them and they keep trying to wriggle free. 

So true LOL. 

On 6/2/2020 at 10:46 AM, Harriet said:

I like seeing you figuring all this out. It's a process, and you're going to get through to the end even if it's messy.

Nooo, I don't like messy LOL. But yeah, it's definitely a process. Thanks! :) 

• Like 1

Another very tired day. Work was busy, and other than our programs getting updated and a few bugs to fix, it was mostly quiet. Anyway, stats:

- Did 11 minutes of yoga

- Cooked dinner

- Had 2 servings of fruit

- Had 2 servings of veggies

- Read for an hour

Still brain dead. Maybe I need to go to bed early tonight. 

• Like 2

Rest day today. Work was fairly quiet again, which is good because I'm still working through the tired. Also, I'm totally failing at not eating snacks. I tried not buying any snacks except for fruit, which I've been eating, but I end up eating my breakfast pop tarts as snacks in the afternoons anyway. 😕 Not sure how to fix that. Anyway, stats:

- Had 1 serving of fruit

- Had 1 serving of veggies

- Read for an hour

- Worked on my outline. I'm getting kind of excited at the direction this is going. I mean, a lot of it's staying pretty much the same so far (it still needs quite a bit of revisions, but maybe not as much as I was dreading), but I love that everything is finally starting to connect in a way that makes sense. I might be able to make a decent story out of this yet. 

Now I think I may go rest for a bit before bed.

• Like 4
2 hours ago, Jupiter said:

I love that everything is finally starting to connect in a way that makes sense. I might be able to make a decent story out of this yet. 

Awww yeahhh! :)

Oof, the snacks. Well, keep it in the back of your mind, which tactics there are (drink water and wait, put the pop tarts out of sight, etc.) and see if you can apply them. Food is the easiest comfort we have right now so I don't know what to do about that either atm 😅 Well it always is but you know what I mean? 

• Like 2
11 hours ago, Jupiter said:

Rest day today. Work was fairly quiet again, which is good because I'm still working through the tired. Also, I'm totally failing at not eating snacks. I tried not buying any snacks except for fruit, which I've been eating, but I end up eating my breakfast pop tarts as snacks in the afternoons anyway. 😕 Not sure how to fix that. Anyway, stats:

Would you consider swapping for a more boring breakfast food like oats?

11 hours ago, Jupiter said:

- Worked on my outline. I'm getting kind of excited at the direction this is going. I mean, a lot of it's staying pretty much the same so far (it still needs quite a bit of revisions, but maybe not as much as I was dreading), but I love that everything is finally starting to connect in a way that makes sense. I might be able to make a decent story out of this yet. 

Yay!

• Like 1
On 6/4/2020 at 10:34 PM, analoggirl said:

Awww yeahhh! :)

Oof, the snacks. Well, keep it in the back of your mind, which tactics there are (drink water and wait, put the pop tarts out of sight, etc.) and see if you can apply them. Food is the easiest comfort we have right now so I don't know what to do about that either atm 😅 Well it always is but you know what I mean? 

Thanks! And LOL yeah I know what you mean. I keep forgetting those tactics, especially when I'm in the middle of a bunch of work and work stress. Maybe I need to make a list and put it on the wall or something so it's easily visible and I can refer back to it when I need to, at least until it's more ingrained. What I'd really love to do is get a cork board and pin notes and stuff on it.  

On 6/5/2020 at 7:02 AM, Harriet said:

Would you consider swapping for a more boring breakfast food like oats?

Mmm, I can try it. I used to love maple cream of wheat until I got tired of it, so maybe I'll get that again and see how that works. Thanks for the suggestion. :) 

On 6/5/2020 at 7:02 AM, Harriet said:

Yay!

Thanks! :D 

• Like 2

Small rant ahead, feel free to skip:

Spoiler

Yesterday was a bust. Didn't do yoga, didn't eat well, nothing. Work just stressed me out too much. That, and my supervisor has been on me constantly the last few weeks about working more hours (again, she took a small break there for a little bit), and at this point I'm just over it. I'm so tired all the time, and feeling burned out again, and I just have no patience for it. Every time she mentions that I should work over the weekend, even just for a few hours, I just want to go to bed and hide under my blankets. In the last two months I've done twice as much work as I usually do and I'm just so done. I may not work as many overtime hours as my coworkers right now, but I still work my butt off during the time that I'm there. I've already done more than half my usual quota in the first week of this month, plus I've helped out other coworkers with their stuff, but she still wants more and more. How is what I do never enough? 

Okay, rant over. On to today. I've been going a bit stir crazy so I finally went out for longer than five minutes. I probably shouldn't have, but I had to go to the dentist and pick up more water, toilet paper etc anyway, so out I went. And instead of wearing sweats and a T-shirt, I actually did my hair and put on makeup and wore jeans (silver lining, they still fit!). So after the dentist I ran a few errands, but I made sure to wear a mask (honestly, how can people breathe with those things?), keep to social distancing as much as I could (even though some people were not doing that), and stick to the essentials so I could get in and out quickly. Except I did stop at the book store. Because books. I probably won't go out like that again for a while, but I had to get out of the house just once. 

Anyway, after all that I was just tired. So the only things I may do this evening are work on my outline and read, and try to do a workout tomorrow instead. 

• Like 2

So didn't get anything done last night, I was too tired. Today was better. Still didn't eat very well but I did do close to 30 minutes of yoga and I worked on my outline. I didn't get as far as I was hoping to (did a lot of thinking and rearranging things in my head and made some notes), but I made some headway. I added more details that I'd forgotten, took a few things out that didn't work anymore, moved some stuff up and switched a scene or two around. It's looking better I think. Meant to do some more work on it later in the evening but then my friend called and we talked for a few hours, which we haven't done in a while. I'm not a huge talker but it was fun. Especially with the quarantine, it's been hard, so it was nice to do more than text. Anyway, I feel like I haven't done all that well this challenge, so hopefully I can finish out the last week on a strong note. 

• Like 3

Oi, rough couple of days. Work is getting crazy busy (more so than normal, though honestly I don't even know what our normal is anymore) which means higher stress levels. Been trying to figure out ways to lower the stress and make things a little easier on myself. So far I've turned off email notifications (I think someone here suggested that to me before) so I don't feel like I'm constantly bombarded and I can focus and try to get more done. I'm also thinking of completely logging out once I clock out. Usually I stay signed in so I can keep an eye on things but I think I need to make a clean break once I'm done for the day so I can focus on everything else better after I leave. Still thinking of other things I can do. 

Didn't have time for much the last few days but I did do my strength training on Monday. First set I did increased reps, second set I did a few less and then the last set I did the normal amount. Don't think I did too bad. It was definitely hard but I think I'm getting used to the increased reps, at least a little bit. I feel like I'm recovering a bit faster, anyway. Only ate 2 servings of fruit, and all I've wanted the last few days is grilled cheese, so no veggies. Hoping to change that over the next few days but we'll see how it goes. On the bright side, I didn't order out and I still made my own food despite the stress and tired. Worked a little more on my outline too. I feel like it's such a slog but I just need to keep working on it a little bit at a time and I'll get it done. 

Anyway, the plan for today is:

- Yoga

- Outline

- Fruit and veggies

Short and simple. Hopefully I can get it all done. 

• Like 3
On 6/13/2020 at 4:53 PM, Jupiter said:

This challenge did not end well. I'm just calling it and I'll do a restart for the next one. 

Me too. A shiny new challenge awaits us, though. 

I'm sorry to read that your work is so stressful and you're feeling burned out 😕 

• Like 2
On 6/10/2020 at 10:42 AM, Jupiter said:

Oi, rough couple of days. Work is getting crazy busy (more so than normal, though honestly I don't even know what our normal is anymore) which means higher stress levels. Been trying to figure out ways to lower the stress and make things a little easier on myself. So far I've turned off email notifications (I think someone here suggested that to me before) so I don't feel like I'm constantly bombarded and I can focus and try to get more done. 

I know far too well what you mean. This describe most of last summer and fall for me. If you're interested, I'm happy to share some of the things I did that made it easier for me, as well as some of the lessons I learned about what you really should not be doing that only makes it worse. Definitely turn off your email notifications, so they're not constantly nagging you. I would also recommend that you schedule times during the day that you dedicate entirely to emails, the recommendation is typically first thing in the morning and after lunch, and possibly late in the afternoon. Do what works best for you, the important thing is that you have time dedicated to your emails, which means that the rest of the day, you are free to do other things.

On 6/10/2020 at 10:42 AM, Jupiter said:

I'm also thinking of completely logging out once I clock out. Usually I stay signed in so I can keep an eye on things but I think I need to make a clean break once I'm done for the day so I can focus on everything else better after I leave. Still thinking of other things I can do. 

Why?

Think very carefully about that question before you answer.

Are you being paid to "keep an eye on things" after hours?

Do you deeply love and respect boss so much that you want to keep an eye on things out of a desire to make their life easier?

Are you so completely devoted to the success of your employer that you will drop everything if an email comes in that tells you there is an emergency? (Everything means, "I'm sorry honey, but mom can't come to your birthday party because work is more important than you are" by the way.)

There is no legitimate, work-related, reason for staying logged in and keeping an eye on things after the end of your shift, unless you are asked to do it and compensated accordingly. Staying logged in anyway is one of the easiest way to guarantee the stress will overwhelm you and burn you out. Don't do that to yourself.

• Like 3
On 6/13/2020 at 7:53 PM, Jupiter said:

This challenge did not end well. I'm just calling it and I'll do a restart for the next one. 

That happens sometimes, life can throw a whole obstacle course in the way. Looking forward to the next challenge though - we'll still be here cheering for you

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Scalyfreak said:

Why?

Are you being paid to "keep an eye on things" after hours?

Do you deeply love and respect boss so much that you want to keep an eye on things out of a desire to make their life easier?

Are you so completely devoted to the success of your employer that you will drop everything if an email comes in that tells you there is an emergency? (Everything means, "I'm sorry honey, but mom can't come to your birthday party because work is more important than you are" by the way.)

There is no legitimate, work-related, reason for staying logged in and keeping an eye on things after the end of your shift, unless you are asked to do it and compensated accordingly. Staying logged in anyway is one of the easiest way to guarantee the stress will overwhelm you and burn you out. Don't do that to yourself.

giphy.gif 

• Like 1
On 6/17/2020 at 8:21 AM, Harriet said:

Me too. A shiny new challenge awaits us, though. 

True! 

On 6/17/2020 at 8:21 AM, Harriet said:

I'm sorry to read that your work is so stressful and you're feeling burned out 😕 

Thanks. Luckily my supervisor is back to leaving me alone again so not having that added pressure makes my job a little easier. And it helps that my attention isn't split in 5 different directions all the time anymore. 

On 6/17/2020 at 8:36 AM, Scalyfreak said:

I know far too well what you mean. This describe most of last summer and fall for me. If you're interested, I'm happy to share some of the things I did that made it easier for me, as well as some of the lessons I learned about what you really should not be doing that only makes it worse.

Yeah definitely, I'd love some tips. :) 

Definitely turn off your email notifications, so they're not constantly nagging you. I would also recommend that you schedule times during the day that you dedicate entirely to emails, the recommendation is typically first thing in the morning and after lunch, and possibly late in the afternoon. Do what works best for you, the important thing is that you have time dedicated to your emails, which means that the rest of the day, you are free to do other things.

That is good advice, thank you. :) I've been checking/answering emails after I finish each file and that seems to be working okay so far. I don't think that I could get away with checking them only 2 to 3 times a day though. Some of these people are not patient. A couple of times I've had them email me every 10 to 20 minutes until I answer them or give them what they want or both. I can't tell you how many emails I've sent people asking for patience. 

Why?

Spoiler

Okay, so it took me a bit to think about this. Partly I think it's because of the way I was raised (work hard and take pride in your work regardless of whether you get paid, stuff like that). And partly I think it's because I was desperate to prove to my employer that I was indispensable. After I graduated from college I had to take the first full-time job I was offered and I had to make it work because I knew I wouldn't get any help or support and I didn't know how I was going to pay my bills if I lost that job for some reason. So I worked 12 hour days and worked weekends (which, honestly, I would have had to anyway because there was too much work and not enough employees and because I wasn't making enough to pay my bills at the time just working 40 hours a week). I did it for years and just never stopped, until I started cutting back in the last year or so (though my supervisor has not made this easy) because one, things aren't so desperate now, and two, because I can't handle the 12 hour days anymore, and three, so I can devote more time to my writing. But those habits are still there and it's tough to let go even when I'm off the clock. So yeah, I think that's where a lot of it comes from. I hope that answers your question LOL. 

Yeah, I agree. It's definitely not worth the additional stress, and I already feel like I'm stressed out all the time as it is. So yeah, I'm trying to change that. 

On 6/17/2020 at 7:47 PM, NightWatcher13 said:

That happens sometimes, life can throw a whole obstacle course in the way. Looking forward to the next challenge though - we'll still be here cheering for you

Thank you! :) 

• Like 5