Delalana keeps things rolling

First off, for anyone who was around last challenge, my moms knee surgery went well. She and my dad are still at the hospital, but should be going home in a few hours after the anesthesia wears off and she passes her first PT test.

On to goals... last challenge went pretty well and I started seeing results about halfway through, so I’m going to continue with a fair amount of the same.

1. Stick to the calorie goal MyFitnessPal gives me Monday through Friday.

2. Get in a workout 4-5 times per week. Mostly strength training with a bit of yoga and outside as much as possible.

3. Go for a bike ride at least 3 times. Suffice it to say my dad has used my bike more often than I have in the past couple of years and he lives 700 miles away.

4. Stay off Facebook, news, email, etc. between 10pm and 7:15am.

• Like 2

I stayed under calorie goal yesterday and - judging by how much twinging there is in my arms right now - did my hardest workout in weeks.

I also stepped on the scale this morning and it’s down from last week, although not as much as I had hoped. I’m debating whether or not I want to bump down my calories again. It feels like it would be a lot easier to do that now than it felt a few weeks ago. At the same time, the scale did go down and there’s the whole thing about it being better to lose weight slowly...

Clearly, the challenge for me these next few weeks isn’t going to be getting the food and exercise goals accomplished, it’s going to be having the patience to give them time to work.

I took the first step towards getting out on the bike yesterday, in that I now have a helmet to replace the one that was quite possibly acquired while I was still in high school. Provided the next few hours of work don’t crush me (unlikely) I might even try it out later today.

• Like 1

It's hard to be patient! :) Does your scale estimate body composition too? That will probably change faster than your overall weight if you are strength training due to gaining a bit of muscle.  Seeing that can make being patient about the scale weight easier. 

55 minutes ago, Kestrel Grey said:

It's hard to be patient! :) Does your scale estimate body composition too? That will probably change faster than your overall weight if you are strength training due to gaining a bit of muscle.  Seeing that can make being patient about the scale weight easier. 

I didn’t even know that was a thing. I might have to look into that.

Yup "bioimpedence"

I think lots of us agree that they might not be particularly accurate, but they can work well to track trends (which is what most of us are trying to figure out anyway). They work best if you use them under the same conditions each time (e.g., first thing in the morning, after going to the bathroom, before you eat or drink anything).

• Like 1
14 hours ago, Xena said:

Yup "bioimpedence"

I think lots of us agree that they might not be particularly accurate, but they can work well to track trends (which is what most of us are trying to figure out anyway). They work best if you use them under the same conditions each time (e.g., first thing in the morning, after going to the bathroom, before you eat or drink anything).

And you can't have very dry feet. The recommendation is to step on a damp towel first. I don't and mine fluctuates by about half a percent.

• Like 1

I did some research and found a smart scale recommended by the internet. While I was a little put off by the price at first, after a coupon and some credit card rewards, it will soon be mine for a grand total of $11.01!

I did get out for a bike ride yesterday. I kept it short to give my butt and legs a chance to get used to it since it’s been awhile. As a result, everything feels fine today except when I sit down cross legged rather quickly. Which, apparently, I do a lot more often than I realize.

I also got in a strength training session today.

I hit my calorie goal yesterday with a couple hundred to spare, but missed it today since I was still hungry after dinner. I filled in with peanut butter toast to try and keep things fairly healthy. Peanut butter toast has been my go to for insatiable hunger since I was a teenager and it almost never fails, even when everything else does.

So far, not looking at my phone in the mornings or evenings has not been going well. It’s very much a habit I need to break and it’s looking like I’ll definitely have to put in a concerted effort.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, delalana said:

So far, not looking at my phone in the mornings or evenings has not been going well. It’s very much a habit I need to break and it’s looking like I’ll definitely have to put in a concerted effort.

It's a hard habit to break. You pretty much have to replace it with something (ex. read a few pages of a book whenever you want to reach for your phone) or leave it out of your bedroom entirely. 

• Like 1

I have a smart scale. It ended up being more expensive than planned as I also have a new wireless router. The scale gave me numbers that are probably interesting, but which I’m rather too ticked off to appreciate right now. So, for the moment, I’ll leave this with a curse-you-barely-two-year-old-technology-that’s-already-failed-me-and-in-an-ironic-reversal-of-the-very-problem-you-were-purchased-to-solve.-I-hope-your-circuits-overheat-and-you-whirr-away-into-the-junk-heap-of-reneged-upon-promises.-Although-given-my-laziness-with-disposing-of-old-electronics-that’s-probably-not-going-to-happen-any-time-soon.

It’s been a long five hours.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Delalana is calm now. 

Calorie goal was hit Thursday and Friday and may be today as well (there are some advantages to being too frustrated to eat until 3pm).

In a possible portent of future days, I drove to the store today for the first time in weeks at what could be vaguely considered meal time (2:30pm with no food so far for the day). A few of the restaurants I drove past were indeed tempting, mostly the same ones as would have been before the pandemic. But at the same time that stress and annoyance was driving me to want fast food, they were also heightened enough that I really had a sole overwhelming focus of fixing my technology problems. So, in this case, it all evened out and I ate at home after my issues were sorted out. Still,I think this says  that, in the future, it would do to make sure I am either at home or have already eaten when mealtimes come around. We’ll leave events that last until 1 or 2 without providing food aside for now.

Workouts have been going well. I’m planning on skipping today, but have gotten something in every other day this week.

Oh, hey, it’s 5pm already. When did that happen?

• Like 2

I got in appropriate measures of food and exercise yesterday. On to the more interesting bits.

I stepped on the scale this morning, which revealed a couple of interesting things. First, my old scale was within 0.3 lbs of the new one. Given that the old scale could only measure down to half pound increments, this was way more accurate than I was expecting. (The old scale was undoubtedly cheap and I got it for free six years ago.)

Second, weight went down again and by quite a bit more than last week. For the past few weeks, my weight has been going down, but by decreasing amounts, so now I can stop worrying about things reversing course quite so much. I do very much appreciate the support of people here as I (over)react to week by week changes.

And now I’m down over 10 lbs from my heaviest (late February), so yay!

• Like 3

Workout went well today. I was able to get two sets of in incline push ups off of the fourth step from the floor instead of the fifth! I also need to start thinking about substituting sobering for single arm rows. I’ve been using my tool box, which is about the heaviest thing in my house that’s not either really awkward to pick up or fragile, and that’s feeling pretty easy these days.

Calorie goal was met yesterday. And, for once in my life, I was actually patient enough to let the sauce from last night’s dinner thicken all the way. It was DELICIOUS.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, delalana said:

substituting sobering for single arm rows

guessing you meant "something"

but sobering is more interesting. For every rep, you have to *not* do a tequila shot that you otherwise might have done (???). Your house must be an interesting place!

• Haha 2
16 minutes ago, Xena said:

For every rep, you have to *not* do a tequila shot that you otherwise might have done (???). Your house must be an interesting place!

Well, it would be a very strong motivator to do the rows. I’m more of a rum girl. My tequila tolerance is shockingly low.

• Haha 1

Got in calorie goals up until today. Today I picked up carryout for lunch. If I can keep to this cadence of only eating out once every two or three weeks once things start opening up again, I'd be ecstatic.

No workouts Thursday or Friday, unless you count a relatively short walk over to visit my cousin. I did get one in today, though. Anyone have any suggestions for something to progress from single arm rows with a 24lb weight? I don't think I have anything heavier around. I do have ratchet straps that I can throw over top of a door, but those aren't the most comfortable thing to hold onto and I haven't yet been able to think of anything to make the grip more comfortable that I wouldn't be worried about sliding down the straps.

• Like 1

One extra thing I noticed that I really wasn’t expecting. Around the point of having just a couple of bites left with the restaurant meal, I hit the point of being a bit uncomfortably full. 2-3 months ago, this would only have happened if I had chowed down on an order of mozzarella sticks first. Yay to shrinking appetites!

• Like 1
4 hours ago, delalana said:

Anyone have any suggestions for something to progress from single arm rows with a 24lb weight? I don't think I have anything heavier around. I do have ratchet straps that I can throw over top of a door, but those aren't the most comfortable thing to hold onto and I haven't yet been able to think of anything to make the grip more comfortable that I wouldn't be worried about sliding down the straps.

Under table pullups? If you need to bend your knees because your table is tippy and that makes it too easy, progress to one arm.

• Like 1

I was thinking also renegade rows. They won't necessarily work the back harder, but they add other core elements to the rowing motion.

...but just remembered that planks were hurting your back. so maybe not that!

• Like 1
On 5/16/2020 at 5:05 PM, delalana said:

One extra thing I noticed that I really wasn’t expecting. Around the point of having just a couple of bites left with the restaurant meal, I hit the point of being a bit uncomfortably full. 2-3 months ago, this would only have happened if I had chowed down on an order of mozzarella sticks first. Yay to shrinking appetites!

Sounds like a great problem to have!

• Like 2

I forgot the kitty litter. Turns out I do have a 35 lb weight sitting around. That should buy me some time to macgyver a platform for under table rows. Right now I have to do them lying on top of a table leg, which is decidedly uncomfortable to say the least.

The scale went up this week, which wasn’t unexpected. Sunday ended up being emotionally heavy and I ate more than I necessarily should have. I’m a lot more stable now, though, and if a few pounds was the price I had to pay for that it was totally worth it. They’ll come off again later.

I’ve been keeping up with workouts and am looking forward to taking half a day off tomorrow after pulling a really long Thursday last week.

B3E4E659-B35D-44F7-A3F2-5AC5DB0C5509.jpeg.a4d6561c7db6511097b836379bf73456.jpeg

• Like 2
On 5/17/2020 at 6:33 PM, Xena said:

I was thinking also renegade rows. They won't necessarily work the back harder, but they add other core elements to the rowing motion.

...but just remembered that planks were hurting your back. so maybe not that!

Thanks for the idea. Planks have been feeling better lately. Although I do have some yoga planned for later today to relieve lower back pain, so I should probably still be careful.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, delalana said:

I forgot the kitty litter. Turns out I do have a 35 lb weight sitting around.

Ah yes, kitty litter. There's nothing quite like an over glorified bag of sand to apply strain to your muscles by moving it.

• Like 1