16 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

Use it to make chicken tikka marsala and/or tandoori chicken?

Oh damn, that is a great idea. Have you ever seen Adam Ragusea's stuff? He's mainly on Youtube and I'm not sure how much of that stuff makes it over to China, but he has a great video on tandoori chicken and tikka masala. I don't know why, but it never occurred to me before to just make a crap ton of tandoor and use the leftovers for tikka masala the next night. Trying to do it all at once means you're in the kitchen for like three hours.

I hear you on the GHR setup. I used to do them off the side of a power rack, by putting my knees on a bench and hooking my feet under one of the rack's safety bars. I'd put a towel under my shins on the bench to keep my kneecaps off the surface so they tracked properly. They worked great. I think I could rig up something decent at my apartment gym... but that will probably be a while.

• Like 1

Oh man, drooling again.. 

If you're flirting with impingement then hopefully the planned deload will make it go away :) I flirt with it often and can always tell if that is what is going on by lifting my arm up to my ear sideways, if that one hurts then I know to back off just a little bit and do some exercises to help it go away faster. 

23 hours ago, KB Girl said:

Oh man, drooling again.. 

If you're flirting with impingement then hopefully the planned deload will make it go away :) I flirt with it often and can always tell if that is what is going on by lifting my arm up to my ear sideways, if that one hurts then I know to back off just a little bit and do some exercises to help it go away faster. 

That's the hope! I have flirted with impingement several times too, but luckily this doesn't feel quite like that. There's definitely a little something going on with my pec minor, though, and if I don't accommodate the fact that the stability of my shoulder is compromised, even in a minor way, I have a feeling it will turn into impingement. Shoulders do funny things when you throw them onto a set of gym rings.

--

Workout Log 5/9/20

- Going in: Again, plenty of DOMS. Left calf still, chest, and throughout the shoulder girdle (especially upper traps). It’s weird, yesterday I felt pretty fresh, but 48 hours after my last workout I’m stiff and sore all over.

- That right shoulder issue I had last time has no problems. Yesterday it resolved into the chest, and felt like a very mildly strained pec minor, which would make sense given that it was complaining during ring pushes.

Warmup

Wall HS: 8 mins: 4x5s
RTO Support: 3x25s

Strength Work

Wide Ring Rows: 13b-x, 13a-y, 13b-y

Chair Split Squats: 9/9a-e, 9/9a-e, 9/9a-x

- Finally starting to feel out the edges of my strength in squats! Up to now they haven’t really been a strength exercise, because in the year or two I haven’t exercised I’ve developed a little knee pain when squatting. I’ve been building up slowly to let them accommodate and feel out any muscle imbalances. A little clicking in the right knee in all 3 sets, but no pain.

False Grip Chest-to-Bar Pullups: 4aabb-x, 5aabcb-x, 5aabbc-x, 5abbbc-y

Incline Wide Ring Pushups: 4a-x

Decline Diamond Pushups: 10a-e, 11a-x

- Rings pushups felt weird in the right shoulder again, just a little tickle, but I played it safe and downgraded to diamond pushups with my feet raised.

Pike Pushups (32in): 3(9s)b-x, 3(9s)a-y, 3(9.5s)a-y

- Last 2 reps of that last set in the pikes were 10 seconds. Actually seeing progress in this exercise is a revelation! Seriously, these posts don’t show it, but I have a month of logs from before I made this thread showing me perpetually stuck at 6 seconds.

Bridge: 10s, 10s-, 6s-, 7s-

Hanging L-Sit: 18s, 18s-, 20sa-y

Cooldown

Compression Work: 4x10s

- I am notorious (in my own mind) for hating compression work and coming up with excuses not to do it. I powered through anyway, reminding myself that my main gripe with the sack of meat I call home is its lack of flexibility. And I don’t know if I’ve ever hated compression work so much as I did today. It was HARD. Hip flexors shot by the end. Maybe the culprit was my longer hold times with L-sits.
Dumbbell Wrist Extensions (8lb): 20/20

--

Dinner was a diversion from the meal plan I jotted down for the week, in a good way. I guess first you should know — I hate lettuce.

Well, maybe hate’s a strong word for my relationship with this class of greens. Is it really possible to nurse hatred in your heart for such a bland, inoffensive plant? They’re watery, they’re crisp. There’s not much else going on. Even their best examples — romaine, butter lettuce — are better known as vessels for anchovy-spiked salad dressings and pork bossam than for delivering flavor of their own. They don’t fail — they just fail to make an impression.

This is why I don’t buy lettuce. Instead, I gravitate toward punchier greens. Which is why tonight, craving a salad and missing the savory, Maillard flavors of seared meat (my diet during this cut having sadly been heavily weighted in favor of poached chicken breasts), I dug out a huge bag of garland chrysanthemum that’s been slowly freezing in the bottom of my veggie drawer.

One quick blanching of the greens and a little vinaigrette-beating later, I had a very zingy chicken salad with miso dressing on the table. I also dug out a quarter of kabocha squash I’ve been needing to use up, so I doubled down on savory flavors by slicing up the squash and simmering it with some shallots in a (supposedly classically Japanese?) mixture of dashi, soy sauce, sake and mirin.

So not quite to plan, but pretty seriously delicious.

• Like 3
10 hours ago, PaulG said:

- I am notorious (in my own mind) for hating compression work and coming up with excuses not to do it.

Who doesn't? :P 

100% with you on lettuce. The salad sounds delicious.

2 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Who doesn't? :P 

100% with you on lettuce. The salad sounds delicious.

I'm glad I'm not the only one. Compression work sucks! Too bad it's the only thing that's ever worked for my hamstrings...

2 hours ago, MsAllegraFox said:

This is all epic stuff! I love your notations for your work outs - the idea of measuring the reps qualitatively as well as quantitatively is really appealing and a great way to get a better picture of your actual progress! 

Thanks! I've found it invaluable. Bodyweight exercises have such big jumps in progress that sometimes improvement with form is your main method of progress. Measuring RPF's makes it easier to see.

--

First: for posterity, I decided to throw up a quick video of my handstand form I took during my Tuesday workout. My hope is it improves by the end of the challenge. I'm decently happy with my core and arms, they seem to form a pretty straight line, but I would really like to iron out the kink at the hips and knees.

Spoiler

I hung the pancetta today. (For anyone interested, I'm following the principles from a book called Charcuterie by Michael Ruhlman, and outlined in a blog post of his.) Right now it's hanging from my pot rack, wrapped in cheesecloth and slowly perfuming my apartment with the scent of the juniper-garlic-bay spices I cured it in. I'm a little concerned for it: the Seattle area weather has turned into clear skies and warmed into the upper 70's to 80's Fahrenheit, making it both warmer and drier than you really want for curing. But it's a relatively small piece, just a little over a pound. I guess time will tell.

It's the first official day of the challenge, so seems like a good idea to check in on the goals I set out.

1) Strength: Do a set of 5 false grip, chest-to-bar pullups. I don't want to speak too soon, but I may hit this sooner than I thought, last workout I was doing sets of 5 pullups and getting 4 of them chest to bar. Ideally, of course, I'd like to get perfect form on all five, but where I'm at is already as good or better than I've ever done in my life, so I won't get greedy. 5 chest to bar is perfectly respectable. My plan: keep working at them, with a double focus on increasing my overall pullup numbers and increasing time under tension in that top ROM. And of course, keep focusing on rows, as I'm pretty sure they're working synergistically with my pullups to get me over that bar. Someday, muscle-ups... someday.

2) Mobility: Stretch every day, with a max of 6 days off. Honestly this goal hasn't been going amazingly, I missed 2 days of stretching this week. Starting today, I don't have that kind of leeway.

3) Diet: End my diet break at no more than 17% bodyfat. Things are basically going according to plan, although I'm a little concerned I won't hit my smaller goal to end my cut with a below-30-inch waist. My waist measurement drops seem to have slowed down a little this last week. I have to chill a little, and remind myself that what I've achieved so far has already been at the upper end of aggressive (almost 12.6 lbs of fat lost in 34 days).

4) Life: Finish The Cooking Gene, by Michael Twitty. Finally cracked it open today, for the first time all week, and read about 20 pages over morning coffee. This is a good way to do it, at least on weekends. I'll need to build it into my evenings for weekdays, and I'm not sure where exactly is the right place for it. Even off-workout days tend to feel full, since I'm usually occupied by a walk in the park, daily call with my girlfriend, dinner and then stretching with some TV before bed. Maybe after the walk? Not sure.

• Like 4
7 hours ago, PaulG said:

First: for posterity, I decided to throw up a quick video of my handstand form I took during my Tuesday workout. My hope is it improves by the end of the challenge. I'm decently happy with my core and arms, they seem to form a pretty straight line, but I would really like to iron out the kink at the hips and knees.

It's very good actually. You are a perfectionist :P what happens when you move in your handstand (for instance to straddle then straight, or tuck then straight)?  I'm also curious as to what would happen if you were a tad bit further away from the wall with enough space to go into a freestanding tuck for instance. Sometimes the wall makes you compensate in odd manners.

It's very very small though, do you feel like piking when it happens?

• Like 1
32 minutes ago, @mu said:

It's very good actually. You are a perfectionist :P

Indeed, maybe too much so? ;) At this point I'd completely stop worrying about improving form and start really working on balance and kick ups. Perfect form on the wall doesn't necessarily translate to perfect form freestanding anyway, at least not right away.

22 hours ago, PaulG said:

- I am notorious (in my own mind) for hating compression work and coming up with excuses not to do it.

Perhaps this compression hate is universal?  I think so

22 hours ago, PaulG said:

I hate lettuce.

Interesting.  I hate it cooked, but tacos just aren't the same without it

1 hour ago, @mu said:

It's very good actually. You are a perfectionist :P what happens when you move in your handstand (for instance to straddle then straight, or tuck then straight)?

I fall over? :D I’ve never tried it! The last time I tried a tuck was years ago, when I was playing with the idea of working easy press to HS variations. But what you see in that video is basically as far as I’ve ever gotten with my handstand. In fact, right now my handstands look much better than they ever have, because I’ve been hammering my overhead mobility with wall slides and overhead shrugs for two months straight.

Sadly, it’s not a piking reaction — the whole time during that video I’m contracting my external obliques, glutes and quads as hard as I can. That’s just the best I can do at a hollow body with straight legs when I’m upside down right now. But I haven’t tried practicing balance further away from the wall yet, maybe that would make a difference for balancing.

1 hour ago, Mad Hatter said:

Indeed, maybe too much so? ;) At this point I'd completely stop worrying about improving form and start really working on balance and kick ups. Perfect form on the wall doesn't necessarily translate to perfect form freestanding anyway, at least not right away.

I’m actually surprised, I didn’t expect to hear I’m ready to move forward. Thanks. ☺️ Granted, the 7 seconds in that video is one of my longer hold times at the moment. My consistent average is closer to 4-5. Do you think it would be appropriate to add in kick up practice at this point, or give it some time to mature to the consistent 7-10 second hold?

1 hour ago, WhiteGhost said:

Interesting.  I hate it cooked, but tacos just aren't the same without it

WG, bear with me on this: garlic chives. I stir fried some of the flowering ones and threw them in tacos tonight, I would dare anyone not to like them. You’ll never look twice at lettuce again.

72ac5424e8e2a2b3d2f220ea01c98f6322cff1c3

• Like 2
39 minutes ago, PaulG said:

I’m actually surprised, I didn’t expect to hear I’m ready to move forward. Thanks. ☺️ Granted, the 7 seconds in that video is one of my longer hold times at the moment. My consistent average is closer to 4-5. Do you think it would be appropriate to add in kick up practice at this point, or give it some time to mature to the consistent 7-10 second hold?

Balance > perfection! I'd work both, separately. So keep up with the wall work and try to get longer freestanding holds. I'd also do longer holds with the feet on the wall for endurance. Then I'd work on just the kick ups without trying to balance. i.e. kick up into an L-HS, try to find the float and come back down. Lastly I'd get comfy with cartwheel bails if you're not already. So a multi pronged approach rather than attempting to perfect every component step by step. Handstand training is not linear that way.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, //Min said:

Hello PaulG! I think I learnt a lot just by reading your challenge thread lol. Also, it makes me super hungry. 😛 You can do it! You can finish this challenge! RAWR!!!

Thanks! I‘ve learned a lot from reading others’ challenge threads myself, my programming wouldn’t have been the same otherwise. If there’s ever something you want more information on I’m happy to expand.

8 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Balance > perfection! I'd work both, separately. So keep up with the wall work and try to get longer freestanding holds. I'd also do longer holds with the feet on the wall for endurance. Then I'd work on just the kick ups without trying to balance. i.e. kick up into an L-HS, try to find the float and come back down. Lastly I'd get comfy with cartwheel bails if you're not already. So a multi pronged approach rather than attempting to perfect every component step by step. Handstand training is not linear that way.

Really happy to hear it. Practicing a kickup would allow me to do a little more than just moar wall practice on my off-days too. I’ll try implementing it later today. Thanks!

• Like 3
On 5/10/2020 at 9:10 AM, PaulG said:

That's the hope! I have flirted with impingement several times too, but luckily this doesn't feel quite like that. There's definitely a little something going on with my pec minor, though, and if I don't accommodate the fact that the stability of my shoulder is compromised, even in a minor way, I have a feeling it will turn into impingement. Shoulders do funny things when you throw them onto a set of gym rings.

Indeed! And you're doing top position holds with rings turned out? The RTO support? 

40 minutes ago, KB Girl said:

Indeed! And you're doing top position holds with rings turned out? The RTO support? 

That's the RTO support, yeah. Just to practice those at first feels like flirting with impingement. Those have felt rock solid for the past couple of weeks, though. I waited until I felt solid in them to start any kind of ring pushup variation. The pushups... enh, less stable, I haven't had practice controlling rings in that plane of motion for a very long time.

• Like 1

A couple updates. First, I should probably be keeping better track of these:

Skill Practice Workout Log 5/11/20
14 mins handstand work: Wall balance & 3 kick-ups
3 mins kip practice

- Kickups felt weird, then good, then I realized I was moving my core to balance them and decided to end it for the day. Intuitively, it feels like if I go too nuts with kick-ups, I might inadvertently start practicing bad form. Wouldn't want that.

- I try to do a little handstand work on all my off days except one. It’s a way to stay lightly active. Usually I’ll do a little handstand practice then take a long walk outside, then stretch.

- Which is basically what I did today: after handstands I went out to the park I live next door to. Lovely place, there's a lake and everything, but today my interest was the playground pullup bar. I tried the bottom portion of a kipping pullup a few times (badly), but terminated it before I got too tired, don’t want it interfering too much with tomorrow’s workout.

After that took a long walk to Jimmy John’s, and I picked up a sandwich because I do NOT feel like cooking today. And I could do worse — double the meat and cheese, add some pickled vegetables, cut the mayo, cut the lettuce (just to troll @WhiteGhost 😂) and I wind up with a sandwich that fits my macros, more or less, and is outside my calorie goal but not crazily so.

The other thing I’ve been putting some thought into is the end of my cut. Strangely, both my weight and my waist measurement has been stalling the last three days. My weight has hovered between 188 and 189.5, and my waist hasn’t moved from 30.5”, and I’ve been freaking out just a little. So I dug up my excel spreadsheet that I track my diet with, and added some data. Usually I calculate my TDEE as a one-off every couple of weeks, just to make sure I’m in the right ballpark with my eating. This time I decided to track it day-by-day. I’m brand-new to Excel graphs, but here in bonehead graphics is what I found:

screenshot1.png.87b50f33ce26def448d2951aca74c597.png

The gold line is my TDEE over time, calculated based on a 7-day average of my calories in (after I subtract out exercise) and my weight loss. And as you can see, it’s flittered around but started out pretty awesomely high… but in the last two weeks or so it’s been in a process of dipping/flatlining, even though the amount I’ve been eating (orange line) has stayed within a pretty consistent band.

Now, I know some people hate this much data when it comes to fitness, and you could say this is something I’d already known intuitively when I was freaking out. But having the chart there in front of me, showing a pretty clear trend line, caused me to take stock and realize a couple things.

• The last week or two I haven’t been quite as active. On my lunch breaks, I still go out to the park and do a little rail balancing practice, maybe a few light parkour vaulting; but I also used to walk after work a good 5 days a week, and that's dropped off a lot lately.
  • I’m sleeping more than I was in the earlier part of the cut. I haven’t minded, because I’ll take all the recovery from my workouts I can get, but it’s probably had an effect.
  • This really hit me only once I saw the graph: I’m starting to get seriously hungry during the day. Not just rumbly tummy, but easily distracted by thoughts of food. Things like pizza and milkshakes have been on the brain the last couple days. So even though I’m not yet officially at 15%, looks like the 6 weeks of aggressive cutting have done it — I’m hitting those hormonal responses to dieting that everyone hates.

If I planned to keep going with my cut, I’d be looking at a refeed pretty soon — but with six days to go it would be a rather silly thing to do. Luckily, I was a smart cookie when I set out my overall diet plan and built in a diet break, which will be better for me in the end.

So, almost there. A few more days of pretending a grilled cheese sandwich wouldn’t REALLY hit the spot. Then, maybe I can finally break out that pancetta…

pancetta2.jpg.0010606ac52491f35a5f0520f44525ae.jpg

• Like 3

Workout Log 5/9/20

Warmup

Wall HS: 16 mins: wall balancing, 1 kick-up

RTO Support: 24s, 24s, 26s

Wide Ring Rows: 13a-e, 13a-x, 14a-x

Chair Split Squats: 10/10a-e, 10/10a-e, 10/10a-e

False Grip Chest-to-Bar Pullups: 5aabbb-x, 6aabbbc-x, 4.5abbd-y, 3.5accd-y

Neg Ring Pushups: 3(5s)a-e

Hanging L-Sit: 19sb-x, 19sa-x, 5a-x

Reverse Hypers: 5b-x, 5a-x, 21b-x

Cooldown

Compression Work: 4x10s

- The pullups were really clicking at first... then, boom, I hit a huge wall. I couldn't finish the last rep on my third and fourth sets. After that, the whole workout suffered. I got six in a set though! That's still progress, even though it seems my recovery is taking a hard nosedive.

- I did a set of negatives on ring pushups, then took stock of my shoulder... was I feeling something? Was I just being paranoid? In the end, I decided to be cautious and cut my pushing work for the workout. I may just have to keep it cut/take it easy until my deload.

• Like 3
On 5/12/2020 at 9:15 PM, Mudd said:

Yo, sometimes making the choice to not overdo it is the hardest part. Bravo for making the smart choice and allowing recovery to happen.

Thanks! It's a good lesson, and one I've been slow to learn. I always feel like a weenie playing it safe in the moment, but I'm starting to discover I'm almost always glad I that I did.

Today was a workout day!

Workout Log 5/14/20

Warmup

Wall HS: 5min: balance, 3 kickups

RTO Support: 15s, 15s, 13s

Strength

Wide Ring Rows: 14a-e, 12a-x, 13a-y

Neg Pike Pushups: 3(10s)a-x, 3(10s)a-x, 3(10s)a-x

False Grip Chest-to-Bar Pullups: 5aabbc-x, 5.5aabbcd-y, 6aabbcc-y

Diamond Pushups: 10a-e

Elevated Diamond Pushups: 10a-x, 10.5a-y

Adv. Tuck Dragon Flags: 5a-e, 6a-x, 5a-x

Reverse Hypers: 6a-x, 7a-x, 6a-x

Cooldown

35 minute walk around the park...

Followed by kipping muscle-up practice

- Modified a couple things. Left knee is sore from fiddling around with skater squats yesterday and aggravating it, it feels the tiniest bit unstable and it's worrying me, so I cut leg work. To proactively save my shoulders, I also took it easy on RTO support holds and prioritized pike pushups (contrary to what you sometimes hear, overhead work is extremely good for your shoulders if you're doing it with correct form and it's not causing pain), and downgraded ring pushups to diamonds -- first regular diamonds, then elevated on an upturned laundry hamper when that was too easy.

- Tried dragon flags! First time I've tried these, ever. Hanging L-sits were getting too easy. Eventually I'll switch to a floor L-sit progression, but again, saving my shoulders today. Flags were a great compromise and a great workout, surprisingly challenging.

- Except for a little gentle reminder to take it easy in the support holds, shoulders felt rock solid today, no pain.

- After the workout I took a walk around the park by my place to decompress from work and exercise, and to give my left knee some light work. And what should I pass by but a set of pullup bars, with the caution tape removed! I've been doing some research on kipping pullups and muscle-ups, because a muscle-up is one of my super secret mid/long-term goals... so I decided to try a little kip practice. Only had gas in the tank for three tries, but the first try was insane, I shot my hips back and absolutely flew over the bar, made it through the transition and topped out. It was the closest I've ever come to a real muscle-up; there was definitely some jump helping me through it, but not nearly as much as when I've tried in the past. Then of course, two reps of flopping around like a fish and I was done for the day.

--

I think I actually have too much I want to write about. I realized yesterday that I wrote a meal plan for this week and I've been following it, but failed to post it. All our recent talks about flexibility have made me realize I should probably post my flexibility plan too, so I have a good log of how well it winds up working; and of course, I feel compelled to write about dinner.

I think tonight, dinner wins.

First, my meal plan, before I forget:

Spoiler

Monday:
Tacos

Tuesday:
Lemongrass Pork Chops, Stir Fried Chrysanthemum and Garlic Chives

Wednesday:
Sour Curry w/ Shrimp

Thursday:
Guai Wei Ji ("Strange Flavor" Chicken), Stir Fried Garlic Chives & Shiitakes

Friday:
Miso Chicken Salad w/ Chrysanthemum

Saturday:
Suki Haeng (Thai stir fry of chicken, glass noodles, and fermented tofu)

Sunday:
Tom Yam Soup w/ Shrimp / Chicken Noodle Soup

I'm tempted to talk about guai wei ji, simply because it's my current favorite way to eat chicken, it's dead-easy to make, and because I just ate it half an hour ago. But honestly, I'm more excited about the sour curry.

Now, given their association with a liberal use of sugar (to season them) and coconut milk (to thicken them), Thai curries have a reputation for emphatically not being diet food.  But sour curry (Kaeng Som) is a slightly different beast.

I could write several (clumsy) pages about kaeng som and what goes into it; but I could never write about it as knowledgeably or deeply as Leela Punyaratabandhu did in her excellent blog post on SheSimmers.com, from where I first learned about it. That's not a flippant citation; that post of hers is a history lesson and a recipe together, with a quick whole-fish-butchery lesson thrown in for good measure. Yes, that is a photo of a skinned catfish two thirds of the way through. That's the kind of thing you read Leela for. I wouldn't have it any other way.

So, suffice it to say: kaeng som is awesome; it's primarily flavored with fish stock and soured with tamarind, which gives it a fruity acidity, sort of a cross between mango and Granny Smith; and rather than coconut milk, the broth is thickened with ground fish meat.

Now some people might think a soup thickened with fish is gross or weird; but when my cut started and this caught my eye while paging through a cookbook, my thought was: when half of everything you're eating is protein, who doesn't want to tuck into a big bowl of thick, rich curry... that's made thick and rich with protein rather than fat? So I dug around in the freezer for my last past-its-prime Costco halibut fillet and a ziploc bag containing some frozen homemade curry paste, dragged my 10-pound monster of a mortar and pestle off the kitchen bar, and set about boiling, flaking and pounding the crap out of both.

My conclusion? Not only was it good, I would put this in the category of sort-of-quick weeknight meal. Assuming you're down for a couple minutes of forcibly pulping chiles and fish meat between two rocks -- and what do I train strength for, if not to beat my food into submission? -- the whole thing is a cinch. The pot of water/stock that you boil the fish in becomes an instant broth for the curry. Stir the paste right in, season it and bring it to a simmer, and throw a few (or in my protein-obsessed case, a half-pound of) shrimp, and let them poach for at most a couple minutes in the barely-simmering liquid*. That and rice, and you've got a meal.

I had mine with some stir-fried squash.

Kaeng+Som+Minor2.jpg

*The way you know shrimp are ready is that all your friends will be telling you they're not ready yet, even though the shrimp are fully opaque. These people are liars who want you to fail. Those shrimp are dying in the pot. Serve them now, and later, consider the benefits of making new friends.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
On 5/15/2020 at 8:59 AM, PaulG said:

and what do I train strength for, if not to beat my food into submission?

Serve them now, and later, consider the benefits of making new friends.

Thanks for making me smile lots :)

and I completely get gathering data and how making it visual helps with analysing/ putting things in perspective. Just a couple more days! 

• Like 2

there was definitely some jump helping me through it, but not nearly as much as when I've tried in the past.

💪 cool!

Well done on holding on diet-wise. I absolutely cannot do this :P or diet in general as a matter of fact. Pretty impressed by people who can!

On 5/12/2020 at 5:14 AM, PaulG said:

Kickups felt weird, then good, then I realized I was moving my core to balance them and decided to end it for the day. Intuitively, it feels like if I go too nuts with kick-ups, I might inadvertently start practicing bad form. Wouldn't want that.

I'm not sure what you mean by bad form, like how bad it is. Sometimes I have what I call a "rabbit mode" in HS, when I just start kicking up and kicking up and it leads no where, with absolutely no quality in any attempt, it's just the brain monkeys acting up...  I definitely try to avoid that and cut it short when it happens. Otherwise however to learn balance, the body will get through some weird shapes, and I think we all have to through that? that's how the body learns, by trying compensations, some work, some don't. It's not always pretty 😛

• Like 1
20 hours ago, KB Girl said:

Thanks for making me smile lots :)

and I completely get gathering data and how making it visual helps with analysing/ putting things in perspective. Just a couple more days! 

Uno mas! Glad you liked it. The data is important to me, without it it's easy to find myself adrift on the choppy, crappy waters of uncertain results. Especially with diet, since it always has a tendency to mess with one's head.

12 hours ago, @mu said:

Well done on holding on diet-wise. I absolutely cannot do this :P or diet in general as a matter of fact. Pretty impressed by people who can!

I'm not sure what you mean by bad form, like how bad it is. Sometimes I have what I call a "rabbit mode" in HS, when I just start kicking up and kicking up and it leads no where, with absolutely no quality in any attempt, it's just the brain monkeys acting up...  I definitely try to avoid that and cut it short when it happens. Otherwise however to learn balance, the body will get through some weird shapes, and I think we all have to through that? that's how the body learns, by trying compensations, some work, some don't. It's not always pretty 😛

Wish I didn't have to. When I'm actively doing parkour it burns so many calories that I basically stay around 12-15% bodyfat without trying; but sadly I can't do that just yet, and I had to get rid of the burgeoning beer gut somehow.

Your comment about handstand form is well-timed, you're absolutely right. It's times like these I wish I had a real coach... I guess until a few days ago I've been laboring under the misunderstanding that the secret to doing a good handstand is to get yourself into a ramrod-straight line, and just stay there. Anything that deviated from that seemed like Bad News(tm). But some kickup practice and support from y'all is showing me that's not the case; sometimes we have to break the body line to deal with an odd situation or prevent overbalancing. I guess the real thing I should be learning with handstands is not one particular position for my body, it's a new level of control over my body. I think the kickup practice I'm working in will be helpful with that. Though it's hard to be certain I'm practicing it correctly.

For what it's worth, your suggestion to bring my balance practice further away from the wall has been a huge help. I'm starting to learn to correct my balance more without using the wall, and my hold times are starting to go up. :)

5 hours ago, //Min said:

Great going on the food plan!!! I really like how varied it is. I would eat everything you make hahaha. 

Thanks! When we’re stuck at home we have to keep things interesting for ourselves somehow. And as much as I’d like to, I can’t really jump on the bread-baking bandwagon. Doesn’t fit the macros. :P

--

Folks, I thought I wasn't going to talk about food today, but tonight's suki haeng -- a Thai stir fry encompassing the flavors of suki, or Thai hot pot, in a noodle dish -- turned out so well I can't help myself.

Suki.thumb.jpg.123c3fab81163eb377ac9915717221b7.jpg

It may not look like much, but I promise you, google suki haeng -- this is one of those dishes with a face only a mother could love.

Cooking nerd sidebar: I had a breakthrough in how to properly stir fry glass noodles. Usually they stick to the wok, then clump up, leaving you with a big hairball of noodles sitting on top of your beautifully stir fried chicken/veggies. I've always thought I'd need about a half gallon of oil to get them to separate in the pan. But this time, I put in the sauce and some water about 15 seconds after the noodles went in, and I kept adding water to the wok (I was intending to get the last of the sauce out of the mixing bowl) while they cooked for a couple minutes. This was pure dumb luck, not a tip from any of my cookbooks. But it should have been: miraculously, they came out perfect. Bouncy, perfectly cooked, and well-dispersed into the dish.

A good filling dinner was exactly what I needed after the last couple days, as hunger has started to launch huge attacks between mealtimes, and the last few meals I've had haven't actually made me full. Yet more signs that my body's getting pissed off at me and that it's about time for the cut to end. Turns out even when it's controlled, starvation isn't very healthy for you. Who knew, right?

Workout Log 5/16/20

- Going In: weird DOMS in my triceps for no reason I can fathom. Visited some family and helped them move today, and finally got home and desperately staved off gnawing hunger with a sandwich. Pretty sure this is going to suck.

Warmup

Wall HS: 8 min: balance, 1 kick-up

RTO Support: 15s, 17s, 17s

Strength Work

Archer Ring Rows: 3/3d-y
Bent-Leg Archer Ring Rows: 3/3c-y
Wide Ring Rows: 10a-y

- I've been rocking out big numbers with wide ring rows, so I figured, why not try the next level? Holy crap, archer rows aren't kidding around, I could barely get my chest halfway to the ring. Played around with making the movement easier in a couple ways. I'm honestly not sure how to tackle these.

Pike Pushups: 3b-x, 3.5b-y, 4c-y

- Moving to full pike pushups went better than the rows, at least.

False Grip Chest-to-Bar Pullups: 6aaabbb-x, 5aaabb-x, 4c2aabbbc-y

Negative Rings Pushups: 3(5s)a-x, 3(6s)a-x, 3(6.5s)aabbbc-x

Adv. Tuck Dragon Flags: 6b-x, 6a-x, 5aabbbc-x

Bent-Leg Reverse Hypers: 7a-x, 6a-x, 6aabbbc-e

Cooldown

Prehab Hamstring Curls: 6/6d/c-y

- Cut the leg work again as I'm not feeling great about my knee. It's clearly healing, but slower than I'd like (sleeping with a pillow under it has helped). I must have messed it up more than I thought.

- Should have been paying more attention to the knees and less to the shoulders: the ring pushup negatives felt great.

- Pullups may not look like I'm seeing progress, but I definitely am. Even though my numbers haven't gone up this week, I'm pulling way higher than I used to. I'm excited to see what happens once I get some calories in me.

• Like 2

Leela's awesome!

Btw I tried the poached chicken recipe when I had a tummy ache and I really enjoyed it. Except I had it in a miso soup instead of a salad. But I liked that it had flavour without being upsetting for the stomach. Thanks! And I'll try to keep you glass noodle trick in mind next time.

10 hours ago, PaulG said:

Your comment about handstand form is well-timed, you're absolutely right. It's times like these I wish I had a real coach... I guess until a few days ago I've been laboring under the misunderstanding that the secret to doing a good handstand is to get yourself into a ramrod-straight line, and just stay there. Anything that deviated from that seemed like Bad News(tm). But some kickup practice and support from y'all is showing me that's not the case; sometimes we have to break the body line to deal with an odd situation or prevent overbalancing. I guess the real thing I should be learning with handstands is not one particular position for my body, it's a new level of control over my body. I think the kickup practice I'm working in will be helpful with that. Though it's hard to be certain I'm practicing it correctly.

What does correctly even mean for a non-linear learning process? 🙂 

I think getting yourself into a ramrod line is one perfectly valid approach, but it's a little limited in that you won't be able to move from that position. If you look at handbalancers you'll find that they can balance in all sorts of crazy contorted shapes, which immediately disproves the straight line theory. If you look closer, at their fingers, wrists and elbows, you'll see that they're making hundreds of tiny corrections to stay balanced. It's the same thing for a beginner, it's just a lot clunkier and slower and because of that we end up using more of our joints and/or larger movements to accomplish the same thing. With enough time and practice the corrections get smaller and smaller, but there's always an "ugly" phase no matter which skill you're building. Which is actually a great phase because it builds strength, and body awareness and comfort and lets your body figure out what it needs to figure out.