• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Thanks to Prime, I'm rebooting, again, after trying the academy over a year ago, and posting on the forums a few times.
I plan to be an assassin, since I want to generally be antifragile enough to not fall/trip/injure myself and be strong enough to hike miles with a heavy pack.

I'd appreciate any feedback on how this is worded, or if it looks like I've bitten off too much, or too little for the 4-week challenge, especially from @Hazard.
And if any actual Assassins guild members want to weigh in on whether I'd move to that guild for my next challenge, that'd be great.

1st Quest: Get my first proper push up.

Goal for this challenge: Increasing my reps of wall pushups from 60-80 by continuing to include them in my bodyweight workouts 3x week.

2nd Quest: Learn Krav Maga

Goal for this challenge: Include Krav Maga warm-up component on my off days, at least 2x a week.

3rd Quest: Build better nutrition

Goal for this challenge: Work up from averaging 100g/day of protein to 150g by the last week, (1g/lb. body weight) so I can build muscle better and stop feeling so hungry.

• Like 5

38 minutes ago, Taryn Ann said:

1st Quest: Get my first proper push up.

Goal for this challenge: Increasing my reps of wall pushups from 60-80 by continuing to include them in my bodyweight workouts 3x week.

What's the plan once you can do 80?

Good quests, good goals. Protein has a reputation for being more satiating than other macros, so you may well find that increasing your protein helps with your hunger if you're losing weight at the moment.

I think Hazard and Sloth are thinking the same thing as me regarding your pushups. If you're comfortable talking about your current plan for getting your pushups down to the floor, you may be able to find some help tweaking it -- that's exactly the sort of thing NF folks have a good knowledge base for, and plenty of resources to point you to. If you want to achieve a very difficult movement, the answer is usually to switch out your easy exercises for harder ones -- ones you can't do 80 reps of, usually -- and keep progressing through ever-harder exercises until you're strong enough to hit that goal.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Hazard said:

What's the plan once you can do 80?

Trying to follow this plan from Steve. https://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/proper-push-up/#train_for_push_up

I do 4 sets on Bodyweight days, 3x week. I'm up to about 16 per set right now, and in the 4th set I go until my form fails. Then I readjust for the next workout day. So if I did, 16, 16, 16, 19, then the next workout I'd do 17, 17, 17, and see what I could get on the 4th set.

When I get to 80 I'll increase the difficulty by doing them on a lower surface, like a table, and see how many I can do, working up until I can do 80 there.
I wasn't doing them regularly for a few weeks, but this is my record so far, on 4/29 I went til form failure in my 1st 3 sets and couldn't do a fourth.

4/14

Set 1-20 Set 2-20 Set 3-13 Set 4-9

4/17

Set 1-15 Set 2-15 Set 3-15 Set 4-15

4/19

Set 1-15 Set 2-15 Set 3-15 Set 4-16

4/29
Set 1-20 Set 2-20 Set 3-20

• Like 1

10 hours ago, PaulG said:

Good quests, good goals. Protein has a reputation for being more satiating than other macros, so you may well find that increasing your protein helps with your hunger if you're losing weight at the moment.

I'm really trying not to lose weight. I'm nursing my one year old daughter, and trying to build muscle. I'm 6 feet tall, and weigh 150 lbs, trying not to drop below 145 lbs or so. I'm mostly trying to nourish my body and give it enough calories to rebuild the muscles I'm exercising. Since I started exercising, I'm ending up fighting my body losing weight, trying to get enough calories into me.

• Like 3

On 5/3/2020 at 9:15 PM, Taryn Ann said:

And if any actual Assassins guild members want to weigh in on whether I'd move to that guild for my next challenge, that'd be great.

You don't need permission, you just jump in. If you feel like that's your thing, go for it.

Also looking forward to hearing more about your pushup progress! Please post even if you're struggling - we're all here to support each other.

• Like 1

Thank you all! I haven't been keeping as good of track as I should have been, but I'm starting to work on pushups again. I backed up a little because I hurt my elbow and I was just working on my form, really carefully. I have hypermobile joints, a form of EDS, so I have to be concerned with how my elbows are moving. If I'm not, they go all funny angles.

I've been levelling up my life in other ways, working on setting up a new routine, that takes the one year old into account, and a weekly list of chores so I don't let them all pile up, all to increase my mental health and lower my stress.

I'll track my pushups this week.

I got a Krav Maga book and am starting to work in some shadow-boxing, basic weight shifts.

I had given up on trying to get 150g/day, because I was having to use protein shakes and wanting to stick to real food, but I just talked to a Nutritionist friend and she said she often encourages clients to use shakes for the first 90 days, so I'm back to trying again!

• Like 3

How close have you been getting with the protein goal? I've been trying to do 180g of protein on a 2000 calorie (mostly) vegan diet, and I ended up getting protein powder because it basically feels impossible without some kind of supplement. It does feel like it's working though. Are you finding you can hit 150?

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Mudd said:

How close have you been getting with the protein goal? I've been trying to do 180g of protein on a 2000 calorie (mostly) vegan diet, and I ended up getting protein powder because it basically feels impossible without some kind of supplement. It does feel like it's working though. Are you finding you can hit 150?

I can do it with the shake! It's not impossible. I use a whey protein and mix it in about 8oz of milk.
I just need to be intentional about getting ~30g each meal and eating about every 2.5 hours. And then throwing a shake in when I get behind, because I do. I'm starting today to track with an app, because I realized I'm not counting the protein in my wheat or oatmeal, and I probably should be.

• Like 1
  • That's Metal 1