• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Eurydice

Best sites for Whole30 recipes?

I did a search and couldn't find a thread on this, which was a little surprising but maybe I just missed it. I'm starting Whole30 tomorrow and I need a little guidance on things to eat so I'm not staring down the barrel of 90 meals of baked chicken and unbuttered broccoli. The site has a page with resources, but what's on there is kind of uninspiring - there are exactly two things on this page that I'd eat if you paid me, and one of them is not actually Whole30 compatible, since it contains bacon. (You can't have added sugars on Whole30. They say you can have bacon, but since bacon is cured with sugar and therefore finding sugar-free bacon is a little like finding wheat-free Triscuits, the Whole30 is essentially a bacon-free zone. So much for the egg monster batch I just made.)

I know there are a lot of people on here who have done Whole30, so what are your favorite sites for recipes? I'm not going to spend $40 for their instructional manual, so the internet it is.

I would agree with katscratch, without Well Fed (the cookbook from The Clothes Make the Girl, most of the recipes can be found on the blog) I probably would not have survived my Whole30.

Edit: Didn't realize you mentioned chowstalker in your OP. Whoops! I haven't made much from there, but it's good to keep an eye on.

I also did a lot of experimenting, and learned some new methods from nomnompaleo.com.

Just learning what flavour combos go together and making crap up was a big learning experience during my Whole30, and now I'm much more comfortable playing around with recipes to make them Whole30-compliant.

Regarding bacon, I did manage to find the mysterious uncured bacon - except that's not what it was called, it was called "Side Pork". I salted it and cooked it like bacon and it was very tasty. Maybe look for that in the pork section of your grocery store? I was able to find it pre-sliced, too.

Edited by Shortkaik

Wait... I'm confused. Chowstalker has EIGHTEEN PAGES of Whole30 compliant recipes, and only one of them is something you'd eat? If that's the case you might re-consider whether paleo eating in general is a good fit for you.

(Though I agree, they should take the bacon recipes out of their Whole30 section.)

-jj

Thanks, guys! I'll take a look at those.

Wait... I'm confused. Chowstalker has EIGHTEEN PAGES of Whole30 compliant recipes, and only one of them is something you'd eat? If that's the case you might re-consider whether paleo eating in general is a good fit for you.

Well, given that I've been eating primal for like two months now with a sufficiently varied diet and love it, I'd say paleo/primal eating in general is working just fine for me. Two days in, Whole30 is also working fine for me. What's not working are the recipes on this one particular site, which for whatever reason is loaded with recipes containing ingredients I don't like, that look like more trouble than they're worth to make.

Now, if paleo were a diet that was entirely restricted to these 18 pages of recipes on this one site, I would definitely reconsider. Or, more likely, I would not have considered it to begin with. Fortunately for me, there are other sites with paleo-compliant recipes that look a whole lot more appetizing.

OK... I was just really surprised because chowstalker was my go-to site while I was doing my whole30, and I even need to restrict eggs and found plenty on there. Sometimes it's easier to just search for ingredients you like, and then scan for things that are whole30 compliant. Or just stick to eating straight up food, without complicated recipes.

-jj

Or just stick to eating straight up food, without complicated recipes.

I agree. Many nights for me it's basically: Chop up some sort of meat, chop up veggies(or get a bag or two of frozen veggies if I'm feeling lazy), toss in a pan, possibly with a little olive oil, cook, add whatever spices suit my mood that day, serve when food is done cooking. Or, I'll do steak on the grill or fish in the oven, accompanied by steamed veggies.

But really, it's really the seasoning that makes things work sometimes. Breakfast this morning was some leftover ground beef that I tossed some basil, sage, rosemary, and thyme in(I just eyeballed the amount), and made into little breakfast sausage patties. Tastes a lot like regular sausage, except a lot cleaner/healthier/cheaper than the sausage you usually get at the store.

I would agree with katscratch, without Well Fed (the cookbook from The Clothes Make the Girl, most of the recipes can be found on the blog) I probably would not have survived my Whole30.

Edit: Didn't realize you mentioned chowstalker in your OP. Whoops! I haven't made much from there, but it's good to keep an eye on.

I also did a lot of experimenting, and learned some new methods from nomnompaleo.com.

Just learning what flavour combos go together and making crap up was a big learning experience during my Whole30, and now I'm much more comfortable playing around with recipes to make them Whole30-compliant.

Regarding bacon, I did manage to find the mysterious uncured bacon - except that's not what it was called, it was called "Side Pork". I salted it and cooked it like bacon and it was very tasty. Maybe look for that in the pork section of your grocery store? I was able to find it pre-sliced, too.

Agreed, Well Fed got me through my whole30 as well!